Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lose on Sunday and Nuno should be sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamalritee

Reaction score
Good post, and your up and coming Ruben Amorim is a great shout, he might know how to get the best out of his namesake "our" Ruben..
He’s definitely got something about him. Won a cup at Braga last season and currently has Sporting Lisbon at the top of the league, with some exciting young players. Looks destined to manage a top European team.

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's taken us as far as he can. He has no 'solutions'. We've been **** for 12 months now and with the players he's got that's a disgrace. I think he's out of ideas and time for a new face to take this group on.
Norwich are a nice team - play in a not too dissimilar colour - just sayin’...

gewolf

Reaction score
It may be a good idea to read your Wolves history books.

Stan Cullis was appointed in 1948 and in his first two seasons he had a Nuno like start - we finished 6th and 2nd.

We then finished 14th and 16th - what would have happened if Wolves had sacked him then?

We went on to finish 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the league, won the FA Cup and reached the quarter finals of the European Cup.

OK everything in football has changed totally since, but while Stan Cullis was having two bad seasons he got rid of at least four of the normal first team. In other words they were transitional seasons and from Nuno's decisions and occasional comments he is also looking to change things this season.

Point made maybe????

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok fair enough. I'm just so used to Wolves being ****e that any season in which we are in the Premier League is viewed as a positive in my eyes.
I'm also used to Wolves being ****e and can say that in all honesty, I enjoyed the failure seasons of Taylor in the Championship an order of magnitude more than I have watching Wolves post-Sevilla.

I don't expect us to win the FA Cup, I don't even honestly expect us to do any better than a top half finish, but what I do expect is that we at least look like we care enough to have a decent go at whatever we're playing in.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Stan Cullis was appointed in 1948 and in his first two seasons he had a Nuno like start - we finished 6th and 2nd.

We then finished 14th and 16th - what would have happened if Wolves had sacked him then?

We went on to finish 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the league, won the FA Cup and reached the quarter finals of the European Cup.

OK everything in football has changed totally since, but while Stan Cullis was having two bad seasons he got rid of at least four of the normal first team. In other words they were transitional seasons and from Nuno's decisions and occasional comments he is also looking to change things this season.

Point made maybe????
Maybe picking 11 local lads, none of this sports science guff, pie & gravy before the game, sugar lumps at half time and cortisone injections are what the team is missing right now

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Maybe picking 11 local lads, none of this sports science guff, pie & gravy before the game, sugar lumps at half time and cortisone injections are what the team is missing right now
Wouldn’t roll around like they have been shot at any slight contact either.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something something monkey glands

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be a lot more willing to entertain discussion about nuno's future if we a robust off field structure, with a top DoF in place.

The Shi setup - in which he holds all top jobs - really rankles, as its success is predicated upon a miracle worker manager.

We've been lucky that Nuno was (and hopefully still is) that man, but until our hierarchy is less of a one-man show, we are hamstrung in managerial appointments.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a point of interest who do you envisage taking his place?
Genuine question...?

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Nuno get released from Valencia and Porto for the same kind of results/performances?
I wonder if this is a carbon copy ?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really think tonight is entirely down to playing a front three that are just nowhere near good enough.

Tactically, I don't think we were too bad. I thought Neves was excellent in the first half, and he played several very good, incisive passes that created opportunities to threaten, but then the quality was lacking.

And, it's pretty obvious as to why it was lacking.
Gibbs-White is a number ten. Played in the wrong position.
Vitinha is a number ten. Played in the wrong position.
Fabio Silva, as we've painfully seen, is not good enough against Premier League CB's from the start. Too young.
It isn't as major as the other issus but Hoever also isn't good enough with his final ball. He is a CB/RB. The RWB needs to be much more of a threat.

So, we've got three 'attackers' who are nowhere near good enough for this level, and have no pace. And the two wing-backs who start, who are pivotal to make this formation work in an attacking sense, are totally defensive.

It's no surprise we didn't have a shot, but everyone knew this, hence the reaction when the team news came out. This wasn't people acting wise after the event, in fact many on here left themselves open to ridicule, but really we all knew there's no chance this would ever work.

This was all on Nuno not caring about the FA Cup, and he should front it up now. He should apologise and explain why he's treating our only chance of succes with such disrespect. Is it orders from above? Do you just not care? Tell us, as there's no way on earth you thought that team would actually win.

Bringing it back to him losing his job, I don't think it is right. As I say, I don't think we were tactically that bad. We were okay in our shape, played a few decent balls, but the reality is we just weren't good enough. But that wasn't down to Nuno as a manager, it was down to the team selection.

I reckon 7+ of that Southampton side play again on Sunday, and I think we can win after watching them tonight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're miles better or anything like that, but I saw more than enough to suggest we could really get at them with a proper team out.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Point made maybe????
That's fine but why throw a game like Nuno has tonight by dropping all 3 of our front 3 and replacing 2 of them with midfielders! Neto, Adama and Jose are not players we want transitioned out of the team. FFS Jose was brought in to lead the line! Nuno dropped Coady, fair enough. He does need to be upgraded. But what about Joao? Why was he not rested? The whole team selection was just simply flawed and nothing to do with transitioning "old" players out of the team and replacing them with new blood! Nah, had enough now.

The Radiator

Reaction score

Point made maybe????

Fans have changed too, they need results NOWWWWWW and every game or its not good enough

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been out for a walk for an hour just to calm down. I haven't been this upset and annoyed following a Wolves game for a long, long time and boy, have we had some bad games in the past 12 months. Nuno took the **** out of every Wolves fan tonight; he took the **** out of the FA Cup and he took the **** out of the Club. The Club and the fans deserve better and he has to go. It was nice while it lasted but it's time to get someone in who can actually get this bunch of internationals playing football again. He's lost his way, I think he's confused and I think the players have lost heart.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Nunos to blame for us cause we're currently 13th in the premier League'. The ludicrousness of that opinion for anyone who has been following Wolves for a long time. Stinks of being overprivileged. Even the most hard hearted Wolves fan can surely at least give him a chance to turn things around with a fresh proper season.
Exactly this , I’d like to know the percentage of nuno outers who regularly go to games , I keep hearing it’s been **** for a long time , it’s been totally **** since we couldn’t go , I don’t remember anyone complaining before that ( Tottenham and espanyol ) were almost directly before covid for example , I think we all knew what was coming by the time Brighton came around , this isn’t in anyway normal circumstances , Tottenham found they were hungover from their champions league final season and sacked their manager midway through last season , has it done them any good ? Now we are talking about a season that has directly followed a long season of highs which petered out with football as we know it at the moment , we then go virtually straight into another season with no fans to lift us wondering when we may be able to emulate those highs again !! The whole scenario is crap , I hate football as it is at the moment , I don’t care that we won’t go on to win the fa cup cause it’s **** all without the fans anyway , this season can’t end quick enough and I’ll judge everything once we are back behind the team , we have had time to refresh and refocus with a pre season and football is what we once knew !!

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ask yourself...Would Nuno have chosen that none winning starting eleven today if the Molineux crowd would have been there?
If so wouldn't he have not brought on the 3 forward players quicker for second half as crowd would have been on his back? 1st half at home not one attempt on goal. Not that many in second half either. Wolves team from the start gave Southampton all the Initiatives to win the game. Abysmal performances but is Nuno unsackable?

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ask yourself...Would Nuno have chosen that none winning starting eleven today if the Molineux crowd would have been there?
If so wouldn't he have not brought on the 3 forward players quicker for second half as crowd would have been on his back? 1st half at home not one attempt on goal. Not that many in second half either. Wolves team from the start gave Southampton all the Initiatives to win the game. Abysmal performances but is Nuno unsackable?
Very good point. Nuno gives it all the big 'un about missing the fans and yet he kicks us in the knackers with that ludicrous starting XI.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Yes I think he would have as that’s what he is like tbf

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’d wait another 38 games plus watching the current performance levels. Must be a sucker for punishment.

Of course not, but Nuno needs a pre-season and some signings made with 4-2-3-1 in mind before we can properly judge him.

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
OP is getting a lot of flak for this post but if we lose in the manner we tend to lose games lately this forum will be in absolute meltdown on sunday. I cant stomach tuning in to watch our games anymore. Lifes **** atm, Id been looking forward to this game all week and hoping we’d put in a decent performance, perhaps get a decent draw and potentially put that game against Watford to rest. Instead I watched that woeful, half *****, **** take of a performance against a side we could definitely have beaten.

Not only that, we helped them regain their confidence ahead of playing us again in 72 hours! Genuinely cannot believe what I watched tonight. I’m not saying lets sack Nuno but at this point hes making it hard to watch Wolves, let alone to support the decision to stick with him.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OP is getting a lot of flak for this post but if we lose in the manner we tend to lose games lately this forum will be in absolute meltdown on sunday. I cant stomach tuning in to watch our games anymore. Lifes **** atm, Id been looking forward to this game all week and hoping we’d put in a decent performance, perhaps get a decent draw and potentially put that game against Watford to rest. Instead I watched that woeful, half *****, **** take of a performance against a side we could definitely have beaten.

Not only that, we helped them regain their confidence ahead of playing us again in 72 hours! Genuinely cannot believe what I watched tonight. I’m not saying lets sack Nuno but at this point hes making it hard to watch Wolves, let alone to support the decision to stick with him.
Really good point. Probably lost on Nuno.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are SO many 'happy to just be involved' fans on here. I've said this about 29 times, you've all been gaslit by Moxey. Little old Wolves, should be grateful to be in the Prem at all, really. We aim one day to emulate Everton. Let's finish 16th and be thrilled.

**** that loser attitude.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, if the fans were in the stadium, there’d be a cacophony of boos at full time.
I can’t prove it but I doubt the performance would’ve been that flat if fans were in the ground

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We badly missed the presence of Coady last night, his leadership, the barking of orders, the driving force, the long, accurate diagonal balls.

However, for a year now, maybe longer, we have got away with playing a defensive, withdrawn midfield. With Moutinho and Neves camped in front of the back line, be that a three or a four, it leaves the midfield area totally open for opposition progress and domination. Our lack of an attacking midfielder in the mould of a Maddison or Grealish is only too apparent. Shut off our wing backs and we are stuffed. It is the Nuno way, comes with the territory and thus far we have done very well with it but now have hit a brick wall. Last night when I saw the starting eleven, my first thought was: "He doesn't want this game." My second thought was: "Is he making a point to someone, Shi / Fosun..??? Are there deeper issues within the club that we are not aware of?".

The short break pre season did not help us after such a marathon season before when in Europe, the Covid scenario, with no crowds or income, has stuffed up all clubs and our small squad numbers finally caught up with us via serious injuries. We just need to get as near to 38 points on the board to stay up and reassess things for next season. However with Euro 2021 in summer and the Portugal team sure to go deep into that tournament, it looks like our players won't get a decent summer break this time either. Bloody dark days, let's hope that we can survive the potholes down our road.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been out for a walk for an hour just to calm down. I haven't been this upset and annoyed following a Wolves game for a long, long time and boy, have we had some bad games in the past 12 months. Nuno took the **** out of every Wolves fan tonight; he took the **** out of the FA Cup and he took the **** out of the Club. The Club and the fans deserve better and he has to go. It was nice while it lasted but it's time to get someone in who can actually get this bunch of internationals playing football again. He's lost his way, I think he's confused and I think the players have lost heart.
You are entitled to your opinion. I for one hope that you are wrong.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
We badly missed the presence of Coady last night, his leadership, the barking of orders, the driving force, the long, accurate diagonal balls.

However, for a year now, maybe longer, we have got away with playing a defensive, withdrawn midfield. With Moutinho and Neves camped in front of the back line, be that a three or a four, it leaves the midfield area totally open for opposition progress and domination. Our lack of an attacking midfielder in the mould of a Maddison or Grealish is only too apparent. Shut off our wing backs and we are stuffed. It is the Nuno way, comes with the territory and thus far we have done very well with it but now have hit a brick wall. Last night when I saw the starting eleven, my first thought was: "He doesn't want this game." My second thought was: "Is he making a point to someone, Shi / Fosun..??? Are there deeper issues within the club that we are not aware of?".

The short break pre season did not help us after such a marathon season before when in Europe, the Covid scenario, with no crowds or income, has stuffed up all clubs and our small squad numbers finally caught up with us via serious injuries. We just need to get as near to 38 points on the board to stay up and reassess things for next season. However with Euro 2021 in summer and the Portugal team sure to go deep into that tournament, it looks like our players won't get a decent summer break this time either. Bloody dark days, let's hope that we can survive the potholes down our road.
Yep, we used to have 5 at the back and pace in attack and now its just 7 at the back at times. Playing on the counter is fine, but you need to break at pace and we don't do that anymore. Cav, Costa and Jota were all very mobile forwards when we started this system, but we played it tonight with a guy who can't run and replaced him with one made Grant Holt look menacing.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think people need a bit of perspective to be honest.

He’s given us a lot and we have been rubbish lately but surely he’s brought himself some time and patience from us?

The guy clearly does care, he’s just given £250k to a local charity and hasn’t seen his family for months to keep his job with us, don’t know how many of us would have done the same in his position knowing we could get a similar job elsewhere.

I was really disappointed with tonight and have been since the first lock down as we arnt very often entertaining but let’s face it, what is entertaining about football now? It’s been **** ever since no fans in the stadium, games constantly on at obscure times. Nuno didn’t show the cup any respect tonight but shoving a 5th round match at 5:30 on a Thursday suggests the footballing bodies don’t really give a **** about it either.

For me this is all about muddling through till we can get back in the stadium and actually have football back. It’s taking its toll on everyone and Nuno and the players will be no different.

You can’t defend tonight’s team selection but best case scenario for this ‘last chance to make something of the season’ in my opinion was a semi final trip to Wembley in an empty stadium to lose 1 or 2 nil to someone like city, that’s the reality at the minute.

Fosun will either back him this summer or they won’t and he’ll be gone, it’s as simple as that for me. I don’t want him to go though, he’s earned time to turn this around from me.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serious questions need to be asked as this season has become a shambles now. No real style of play. Constant negative tactics, dreadful set pieces time and time again, strange team selections in several games now. Chronic lack of goals and creative play. We may have had some injuries but Nuno chose this small squad so it falls on him. We were also playing **** when we had our injured players playing anyway. To me the style of play is getting worse. We havent scored a league goal against 11 men for over 6 hours apparently. I dont have a clue what Nuno and his coaches are doing at present. I would be furious if I was Fosun tonight.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep saying what you are saying because you are spot on. Ignore the people who abuse you, they have no counter arguments. Wolves have become turgid, boring and almost unwatchable. In 12 months Nuno has undone all the great work he did in the first three years. Something is seriously wrong, I don't know exactly what, but I just don't see him arresting the slide, he doesn't seem to know what to do, and the players look uninterested. Teams have worked us out and he doesn't seem to have an alternative plan.

Well said Big Saft. Norfolk makes some good points but some would rather stick their heads in the sand and make excuses whilst dishing out some pretty poor abuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom