Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
with the greatest of respect will anyone give a flying hoot if he keeps us up? i am almost certain most of us would do the same!!
It makes sense he thinks he can be successful. If he didn’t or doesn’t this could signal the end of his top flight career. He’s pushed for his whole back room staff, Sellars ti be shown the door and U suspect a rescue war chest for January.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me the first 6 games of the re-start are pivotal. We need somehow to get 3 wins and build some momentum. An ugly win at Everton and a win against utd in J-Lo’s first proper home league fixture would be absolutely fantastic
That’s the issue.

We simply have to win at Everton

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the issue.

Winning at Everton would get everyone going, however it really won’t matter in the scheme of things, we could play well and lose, for me it’s about seeing some fight, all over the pitch, the players must show they are on board.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard 'Don't you want me' on the radio this morning and found myself singing Lopetegui's name to the chorus.

I don't expect the verse to catch on, but the chorus is certainly catchy and easy!

♫ You were working as a manager for FC Porto
When we wanted you
All agreed, but Spain stepped in
And turned you around
We ended up with Zenga not you

Now 6 years later on we’re at the bottom of the league
Success has not been seen since Nuno
Promotion, 7th, Europe, had the time of our lives
But now we could go back down too

You didn’t, didn’t want us
We asked a second time but we couldn’t strike a deal
It got so bad we nearly ended up with Micky Beale

We asked for a third time
And you went and changed your mind
And now it’s time to lead us out of darkness ♫

Ju-len-Lop-et-e-gui

Lop-et-e-gui, Ohhhhhhhh!!

Ju-len-Lop-et-e-gui

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard 'Don't you want me' on the radio this morning and found myself singing Lopetegui's name to the chorus.

I don't expect the verse to catch on, but the chorus is certainly catchy and easy!

When we wanted you
And turned you around

Ju-len-Lop-et-e-gui

Ju-len-Lop-et-e-gui

The chorus could catch oon but that’s it

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Winning at Everton would get everyone going, however it really won’t matter in the scheme of things, we could play well and lose, for me it’s about seeing some fight, all over the pitch, the players must show they are on board.
Win against gills win v everton, then when manure comes fans will be so up for it and its around xmas that i think we could force a result

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the issue.

I don't think it's essential in the slightest

We basically need 30 points from 23 games. Lopetegui will back himself to do this comfortably, particularly if he's getting a decent budget in January

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's essential in the slightest

We basically need 30 points from 23 games. Lopetegui will back himself to do this comfortably, particularly if he's getting a decent budget in January
8 wins
Leeds
Forest
Southampton
Everton
Villa
Brentford
West Ham
Spurs
6 Draws
Man U
Everton ,
Villa
Newcastle
Fulham
Palace

Job done
Bonus opportunities Arsenal Liverpool Brighton Leicester

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score

When we wanted you
And turned you around

Ju-len-Lop-et-e-gui

Ju-len-Lop-et-e-gui

Chorus definitely could catch on, rest of it is a no

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I've read this article before - it's striking to how similar this style is to what Bruno tried to install. It will be interesting to see if JL sticks with this style and just gets the team to play better or if he alters the system to play to our current players' strengths. I worry about our players' ability to maintain the intensity that JL demands in this system so hopefully those fitness coaches can get us there quickly...

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolverhampton debut: “We are already on the Premier train with enthusiasm and desire. There are Spanish and Portuguese players and some logically are with the national team. Little by little, the players who come from abroad are arriving and getting to know the players and making contact with the team and the group”.

Challenge being bottom team: “It is the reality of the team at the moment, as it is also that we have many games to turn around and be able to save that situation. It's not going to be easy. There is a lot of equality between 12-13 Premier teams and we will try to speed up the winter market where we need alternatives and new players”.

Cunha: “ We have several open options and he is one of them. In football, until you close the operations, they are all up in the air”.

Felipe: ”He is a player that we like but at the moment there is no closed operation. We have to create a good group, convince those who are there that they can improve their performance and with the help of those who come, build a stronger group”.

Spain: “I couldn't watch the game because we were training with a lot of work. I have seen the summary. Sad because the illusion that is generated in each World Cup is very great and in Spain more. The team had managed to excite the whole country, being competitive, playing good football and arriving in good shape. But this is the World Cup and every detail is important and we know how it works”.

In the last three tournaments eliminated on penalties: “That speaks of equality and the characteristic that anything can happen in one match. In the group stage you have a margin of error and in the crosses you don't, although you may have been superior in the game. It is one of the virtues of football. It is the only sport where, being less than the level of play, anyone can win”.

Decision of penalty shooters: “Sometimes I have decided and sometimes seeing how the game has gone I have sensed to leave it in the confidence of the player at all times. Any decision is valid."

Spain Style: “Spain plays football well, has competed well, against open teams it is very difficult to beat because that initiative always takes it. In a match there are many ways to compete and be able to win a match. I like to see Luis's team. I think they played well, with a clear idea. All teams have their way. In Spanish football there is a type of footballer and I think that Luis's team has been a team capable of dominating, but it has also been vertical during many games. It has been a very complete team at a competitive level, but any mistake can send you home”.

Luis de la Fuente option to coach: “Luis is ready. He has been working in the Federation all his life, he knows all the footballers of the new generations, they have passed through his hands and he has significant experience. It is a decision that is not up to me and what the federation decides will be with more criteria than what I can decide ”.

Marcelino: “He is a magnificent coach. There are other great ones in our country”.

Sevilla Final: “It was a wonderful experience, some historic years, with great results at the European level and in the Spanish league, where we were able to make history and I remain with the memories of the people, of a competitive Sevilla to a group of footballers and that the team had a very high journey. When time passes you all see it with perspective. We have to accept it and be able to deal with it.”

Have you spoken with Monchi?: “ Yes, several times. I have a great relationship with him. Monchi would be a great signing for any team in the world. Apart from a great sports director, he is a very honest guy ”.

Less pressure outside of Spain?: “The pressure exists everywhere. You live differently. Wolverhampton is a team that has competed at a high level for a few years. It will not be easy but we are excited about the challenge that lies ahead, it motivates us and we are going for it. We were excited to be in the Premier and with the intention of improving the team, being competitive and making noise”.

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well as we all thought they had no respect for Bruno or his team. Very much the we had a supply teacher in and messed around and now we can’t.

Yeah, those comments very much suggest that not everyone had bought into previous ideas, or had been working hard!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've read this article before - it's striking to how similar this style is to what Bruno tried to install. It will be interesting to see if JL sticks with this style and just gets the team to play better or if he alters the system to play to our current players' strengths. I worry about our players' ability to maintain the intensity that JL demands in this system so hopefully those fitness coaches can get us there quickly...
I've been thinking the same. How do you get the same players winning games playing the same system & formation?
Still feel like we lack pace in midfield, maybe B Traore will give us that. Especially if our full backs provide width in attack, leaves us open at the back unless midfield are able to fill in for them. Or we just totally dominate the ball a la Man City, which isn't going to happen.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, those comments very much suggest that not everyone had bought into previous ideas, or had been working hard!

Those comments sound exactly like the generic soundbites people come out with for every new manager...

He has a really good aura about him & the lads really look up to him & respect him. What he wants from the team is really good, so the intensity in training is there. Everyones buying into it & working hard which is the most important thing

See if you can guess who made these comments, and more surprisingly, when?
“It’s been tough – double sessions are hard, they’re draining. We went to Spain and the boys were up at half six, quarter to seven every morning, and we were in the gym for half eight, on the pitch for nine, and we were away training. We had the afternoon to chill and think about football, and the first session, then, you’re back out at seven.

“There was a lot of tactical work, a lot of runs, and things we needed to do. We understand as players that we need to do them, and the manager’s been really good.”

“The tactical side of the game, his attention to detail is fantastic if I’m being honest. The in-depth nature he goes into it is fantastic. I think it’s worked ever so well since he’s come to the football club and it’s improving everybody day by day. I think that’s something he’s done ever so well with every player to make them better. For me, learning from him, the way he goes in depth with everything, it’s fantastic.”
Did you get it?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those comments sound exactly like the generic soundbites people come out with for every new manager...

Did you get it?

4 days before he was binned! :tearsofjoy:

Although apparently Collins winked as he said those things :wink:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luis Enrique was sacked last night and the under 21 coach has taken over the Spanish job.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score

Did you get it?
In fairness I think all of that is true. Started brilliantly. He just did everyone's head in and lost the dressing room. Hindsight the science of fools.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
On fairness I think all of that is true. Started brilliantly. He just did everyone's head in and lost the dressing room. Hindsight the science of fools.
Yes, but according to popular concensus he'd already lost the dressing room and Coady in particular by August 22 when that quote was given.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on Lopetegui and very optimistic, but once the football starts again all these quotes will be chip paper.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Yes, but according to popular concensus he'd already lost the dressing room and Coady in particular by August 22 when that quote was given.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on Lopetegui and very optimistic, but once the football starts again all these quotes will be chip paper.
My mistake I thought the quote was from the start of Bruno's first preseason.
Probably could have been :)

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lopetegui: "It is a cliché that Spain is not vertical, when I arrived they already asked me"​

The former Spanish coach faces a new challenge in the Premier with Wolverhampton. "Soccer is the only sport in which someone infinitely inferior can beat you," he tells Relevo.​

Lopetegui applauds the Wolverhampton fans.  /REUTERS

Lopetegui applauds the Wolverhampton fans. REUTERS
Lorraine Gonzalez
December 11, 2022, 10:09 p.m.
Julen Lopetegui (Asteasu, Guipúzcoa, 08/28/1966) attends Relay while preparing a mini preseason in Marbella with his new team, Wolverhampton . With his premiere in the Premier, he says he is not very aware of what is happening in Qatar. Although he is not surprised by the equality that is being seen in the World Cup, something that he believes has "simply consolidated".
He does not consider that Spain is not adapting to the new demands of football , he puts footballers ahead of any style and trusts Luis de la Fuente as the new coach because "he has had all the players in his hands"tag. And the Basque exporter is clear: "Penalties are not a lottery, but the execution depends on how the pressure is handled."

Didn't you feel like being calm after your departure from Sevilla?
We had planned to enjoy the World Cup in a different way, take a breather, reset, but after a month, things changed personally and professionally. They convinced us to get on a project and, despite knowing the difficulty and the place in which Wolverhampton was, we came with great enthusiasm because we believe that we are going to achieve it.
What did you see in the Wolves, considering that they are last in the standings?
First, a lot of conviction in us. And then the structure that must be generated in a club. In addition to economic availability to help in the winter market. Those three legs have coincided. Also the knowledge of people inside. We really wanted to start an experience in England, although we had already had the opportunity to jump on the Premier bandwagon many times.

Did he end up very worn out from Seville?
Football is very intense and in the final stretch of the journey in Seville there was even more that intensity. It is part of soccer. We were practically at the beginning of the season, there was no wear and tear at the end. They have been three extraordinary years, historic heights have been achieved, one of those that had never been achieved before. We are left with the positive part, which was 95% of what we experienced in Seville. I am very grateful to Monchi, who was the one who took me and for whom I only have words of affection.

"We are left with the positive part, which was 95% of what we experienced in Seville.
With your latest experiences, do you think that the emotional management of the players is almost more important than the merely football?
The job of a coach is very complex and complicated, it has many legs of the same bench, many edges. There is a lot of emotional management, especially with young people subjected to pressure from the media and different from that of people their age. Each time the teams work better, with highly trained people, and in football there have been no distances between teams for a long time. There is a lot of equality.
Is that equality what we are seeing in the World Cup?
It's been like this for years, it seems we're surprised. Every time everything is more consolidated and prepared, all the countries, teams, coaches, physical trainers. There is less and less time and distance.
What has Spain lacked in Qatar?
I haven't seen all the matches, not even the one between Morocco and Spain, but they have tried what they believe and they have done it brilliantly in recent years. I can tell you about many games where the top teams have been left out. Soccer is the only sport in which being infinitely inferior, you can win. In a World Cup it has even more value, because in a league, the 38 games will put you in your place. Spain had a great team and coach, but they were not able to score a goal against Morocco and lost on penalties. It has happened to many teams.

Lopetegui comments on Spain's role in the World Cup.
Is Spain adapting to that verticality or the physique that we are seeing in other teams?
It can be a topic. Spain has been vertical, it was against Costa Rica and in many other matches. When I arrived they already asked me about the same thing. Their footballers play in teams that are vertical. In Spanish football there are 55 different styles, it is very general to talk about the style of Spain. The game is very universalized and there are few new features. In England and Germany there is more economic capacity and the best are signed, that conditions a lot. There have been years in which the Spanish have led in European competitions, and that will happen again.

For Lopetegui, style can be a cliché.
Which is more important: style or players?
The players set the style, they are the protagonists of the game and from there they interpret it as the coach tries to convey to them. The footballers are the most important thing, then you have to order them. The system is not definitive, but rather the style. Flair is what a team does when it loses the ball. When they have it, if they defend with a line of five or four, if at that moment they are more vertical with the risk of losing and suffering more cons, there are others who keep the ball until they find the optimal moment to play, they have fewer losses, but they stress the opponent less defensively. It depends on which players, you can have one style or another.
After the last batches that we are seeing in the World Cup, are penalties a lottery?
The lottery is simply when a ball comes out and it's your turn. You have to execute the penalties well, they can be trained in the beating, but not the moments of those executions. That is to say, it is not the same to take the fourth penalty in a friendly than in a World Cup. What counts is how it affects the pressure. That depends on the execution.
Do you still ponder the emotional aspect of the technique of taking a penalty?
The goalkeeper must have knowledge of the pitchers, but then there are many factors. There are some players who enjoy that pressure, who are getting closer to the penalty spot and are thinking "this is my moment". For others, it is a torment. The goalkeeper has less responsibility because if you miss nothing happens, but if you save it, you are a hero.
What conclusions are you drawing from this World Cup?
It's just that I'm so focused on the Wolves that I look at the World Cup out of the corner of my eye. I have not seen a complete game, only moments. But the consolidation of a reality of recent years: equality. All the teams go with good footballers, but each time with better physique, and that is not a matter of size.
Is it more natural for the Under-21 coach to take charge of the Absolute, as it was also in your case?
I had already been at Porto for two years, but Luis de la Fuente is highly prepared, he has been there for many years and knows the lower categories perfectly. Most of the players have passed through his hands. It is true that, having been on both sides, you realize what it is like to live with such short competitions, those who have not been there do not know about that specificity, and Luis knows it. Although the Under-21 of the Absolute changes a lot due to the repercussion. The footballers are already established, they are at another moment in their career, etc.

"Luis de la Fuente is very prepared".
Is it easier to be a coach than a coach of a club?
It has nothing to do with rhythm, contrary to what I speak with many coaches. In the end it depends on how you take the profession. The question is that as a coach you have very few intervention windows, and you must be able to do it in an outstanding way. It is something very specific. For example, I have two months to work on a three-day competition.
I ask you for three proper names to join the Wolves: Felipe, Cunha and I add that of Isco, who has recognized that he went to Sevilla for you.
All three are excellent, if any of them join, I will be happy to answer you.

Back
Top Bottom