Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui Book of Condolences...

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you think he didn't want to do a job as it was at the time? He was earning a fortune.
Surely you’re answering your own question. Despite earning a fortune which he could have easily have carried on earning by staying he decided our ambitions didn’t match his and chose to leave.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Why do you think he didn't want to do a job as it was at the time? He was earning a fortune.
Mindbender isn't it - walked away from a large fortune with us for a small fortune, rejected a very large fortune to go to Saudi (have you given up on that garbage now). So he's either a money grabber who doesn't actually like money, or a bloke with plenty of money who wants career satisfaction. You decide .....

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely you’re answering your own question. Despite earning a fortune which he could have easily have carried on earning by staying he decided our ambitions didn’t match his and chose to leave.
Our financial capacity, didn't match his methods of trying to achieve success, is maybe closer to it. You can't spend money you haven't got, well you can but generally ends in tears.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves decided for whatever reason to remove the backing that he was told he was getting so he decided to leave. I think that pretty much covers it.
I can’t be bothered to go back to my post at the time of JL’s interview but it was made in the context of the circumstances prevailing last Spring. At that stage there was much noise about Fosun’s corporate financial difficulties world wide and I believe it more than possible Shi’s hands were tied with regard to promises for funding which had been made six months previously. I felt then JL’s actions with Balague were designed to denigrate the Club and get himself out with a pay off. As our leader and the guy we were pinning our hopes on I thought it reeked of self interest, and he didn’t give a damn about the club or supporters. I give him respect for chiselling us out of a mess last season though I became embarrassed with his touchline antics. But I really don’t want an egocentric character like that serving up turgid football and hope that GON’s improved football can now kick on. UTW…

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure he's already a very wealthy man, he just didn't fancy a different challenge, once the landscape changed.

I just think that the way that he left both Sevilla and Wolves and the money he has recieved and the interviews and comments, before he left both clubs, would make a decent team wary of him. What ever anyone thinks of him, he has had a very controversial career, plus he has earned about 22 million euros, for both pay offs, in less than a year, then there are all his associates to pay as well.
If I were a chairman, I would definitely take this in to account.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think that the way that he left both Sevilla and Wolves and the money he has recieved and the interviews and comments, before he left both clubs, would make a decent team wary of him. What ever anyone thinks of him, he has had a very controversial career, plus he has earned about 22 million pounds, for both pay offs, in less than a year, then there are all his associates to pay as well.
If I were a chairman, I would definitely take this in to account.
His payout from wolves was less than a years salary.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mindbender isn't it - walked away from a large fortune with us for a small fortune, rejected a very large fortune to go to Saudi (have you given up on that garbage now). So he's either a money grabber who doesn't actually like money, or a bloke with plenty of money who wants career satisfaction. You decide .....

He is reported to have earnt 22 million euros in one year, for his pay offs.
The garbage about Saudi comes from you saying someone was a source, who has already said himself, that he was getting his information from AS and that article had no source.
I don't know why you bring things up again, things that have already been demonstrated aren't true. It is probably best to be quiet about it.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He is reported to have earnt 22 million pounds in one year, for his pay offs.
The garbage about Saudi comes from you saying someone was a source, who has already said himself, that he was getting his information from AS and that article had no source.
I don't know why you bring things up again, things that have already been demonstrated aren't true. It is probably best to be quiet about it.
Did you miss this one?

Nobody ever names a source for a story like this. If the club want information released they write a statement. So it's either leaked deliberately or maliciously, or just made up. However people soon know who has a track record of never getting anything wrong. Maybe you can point me to another error Romano has made? Who says the Al Ittihad link wasn't true, got a source for that?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He was rumoured to be on £8m a year so less than that.
John Percy

Lopetegui was on £8 million a year and made a honourable gesture to reduce his settlement

UKs no.1 football source, probably another one who just makes **** up though.

According to this on less than €3m Euros at Sevilla, so not sure how this is adding up to a 22m pay off

Last edited:

Wulfruniac

Reaction score
JL spotted in The Crown, Tettenhall yesterday evening. Maybe he just loves Wolverhampton in December.............

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well he got a 10 million euros pay off from Sevilla, so we are looking around 20 million euros, for not wanting to work at 2 clubs in less than a year. Not a bad living is it, not wanting to do what you are paid for.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody ever names a source for a story like this. If the club want information released they write a statement. So it's either leaked deliberately or maliciously, or just made up. However people soon know who has a track record of never getting anything wrong. Maybe you can point me to another error Romano has made? Who says the Al Ittihad link wasn't true, got a source for that?

I never said Romano makes mistakes, I said he stated it wasnt his story. He reported what Gabilondo from AS newspapers said. It would be Gabilondos mistake, not Romanos.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be interested to see our spend and the likes of Villa and Newcastle under howe and Emery last season and this . As surely that's where we want to be ??? If not then no point building a stadium and wanting to move forward. Brentford and Bournemouth are our level then surely.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** on??? Don't be so dramatic, the landscape changed, he didn't need to cry like a baby, should have got on with it and shown everyone what a good manager he is.

He wasn't helping out, he was employed by the club to do a job, get on with it and do your job.

I rated JL was elated when he came and gutted when he left, but he **** out, which is fine and his choice, but GON has done great and long may it continue.
Utter and complete rubbish! I could never knuckle down and work for a boss who at the very least l suspect lied through his teeth to me. In doing that Shi showed zero respect and that's exactly what l'd have for him.

Re GON while it's still early days he seems to be doing a decent job thus far.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I never said Romano makes mistakes, I said he stated it wasnt his story. He reported what Gabilondo from AS newspapers said. It would be Gabilondos mistake, not Romanos.
Every story he states comes from someone though, so if he tweets it, it's his mistake.

No comment on the Saudi Football source?

Got any evidence that Lopetegui got 10m from Sevilla, seems a bit unlikely with 20 months on a contract of less than €3m a year.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utter and complete rubbish! I could never knuckle down and work for a boss who at the very least l suspect lied through his teeth to me. In doing that Shi showed zero respect and that's exactly what l'd have for him.

Re GON while it's still early days he seems to be doing a decent job thus far.
What's rubbish? We have no idea what he was promised or any of the details or what changed, all we do know is that it is perfectly normal for all big businesses for things to change, due to multiple factors and normal for employees to have the flexibility and agility to cope.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be interested to see our spend and the likes of Villa and Newcastle under howe and Emery last season and this . As surely that's where we want to be ??? If not then no point building a stadium and wanting to move forward. Brentford and Bournemouth are our level then surely.

You'd also need to look at their turnover and their P&L in relation to us and understand what we were allowed to spend. May also be worth looking at Derby, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday as cautionary tales of what over spending can do.

JL should be looking at Chelsea really, that appears to be his type of club.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every story he states comes from someone though, so if he tweets it, it's his mistake.

No comment on the Saudi Football source?

Got any evidence that Lopetegui got 10m from Sevilla, seems a bit unlikely with 20 months on a contract of less than €3m a year.

If Romano says he got the the story from someone and gives a name, it will always be the original person's mistake if the story is wrong . If he doesn't give a name and he says it is his story and it's wrong then it would be his mistake, but it wasn't his story.

There has been twice before when our OLM was linked with a job in Saudi Arabia and he said both times he declined it. OLM likes saying he declined jobs, so I am waiting to hear it from him, which we might do. If we don't, my opinion would be he wasn't offered it. He usually likes to blow his own trumpet.

Here is a screenshot, from a reliable Spanish sports paper. Diez millones, obviously means 10 million. It says he was owed 12, but accepted 10 million.

Screenshot_20231216_013427_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which would make him the 6th highest paid manager in the premier league, earning twice what Emery, Howe, Moyes earn. Plus the wages of a huge support staff.

Is that a measure of ambition I’m not sure, but certainly was a big commitment by the club. Then he does those interviews, he was annoyed by the transfer funds and I’m sure the club were annoyed by the interviews.

GON was on £1m.5 at Bournemouth.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which would make him the 6th highest paid manager in the premier league, earning twice what Emery, Howe, Moyes earn. Plus the wages of a huge support staff.

Is that a measure of ambition I’m not sure, but certainly was a big commitment by the club. Then he does those interviews, he was annoyed by the transfer funds and I’m sure the club were annoyed by the interviews.

GON was on £1.5 at Bournemouth.
Id guess with our league position at the time we were a pretty unattractive job so had to pay a decent wedge to get him in.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id guess with our league position at the time we were a pretty unattractive job so had to pay a decent wedge to get him in.
Yeah plus the fact we’d chased him for years, really wanted him, he’d got a good pedigree etc.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Been linked with Palace along with Potter and Cooper. I think getting a 'top' Premier League job is proving more difficult than he thought. I think he's really tarnished his image by leaving us on the eve of the season, regardless of what he had or hadn't been promised by Shi.

As time has gone he's starting to look more foolish. Whining about spending money but now Wolves are media darlings and considered very astute for denying him and avoiding PSR (FFP) penalties. That has been a bad look for him. On top of that, despite doing a great job last season, young upstart GON has come in, taken the team that he felt was inadequate and put them comfortably in mid table and looking upwards, playing more entertaining football and scoring more goals. The comparisons between the two are making him look a bit like yesterday's man rather than the future of football.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GON was on £1.5 at Bournemouth.
Is that £1.5 an hour? Crikey, below the minimum wage...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been linked with Palace along with Potter and Cooper. I think getting a 'top' Premier League job is proving more difficult than he thought. I think he's really tarnished his image by leaving us on the eve of the season, regardless of what he had or hadn't been promised by Shi.

As time has gone he's starting to look more foolish. Whining about spending money but now Wolves are media darlings and considered very astute for denying him and avoiding PSR (FFP) penalties. That has been a bad look for him. On top of that, despite doing a great job last season, young upstart GON has come in, taken the team that he felt was inadequate and put them comfortably in mid table and looking upwards, playing more entertaining football and scoring more goals. The comparisons between the two are making him look a bit like yesterday's man rather than the future of football.

O'Neil is making Lopetegui's comments and behaviour all look a bit silly. Said at the time that our side wasn't exactly bad and if Lopetegui had produced a good season then it would have done his reputation an awful lot of good in this country and then he could whore himself to the bigger clubs (which I've no doubt was always his long term intention). Bet he's hating the praise that's rightly going O'Neil's way at the moment. I'd love to see him rock up at Palace, I'm sure he'll love the huge budget he'll have to rebuild down there

NJ Wolves

Reaction score

Couldn't help but think of him yesterday and that 0-6 game at Brighton. How things have changed. Agree with everything you say.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't help but think of him yesterday and that 0-6 game at Brighton. How things have changed. Agree with everything you say.
But according to many of his followers, that was because we were on the beach and it didn't matter. (Same as the Arsenal performance)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Love this. Nicely summed up. :)

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought O'Neil's outstanding work would soften the stance towards Lopetegui.

He inherited a club in a mess and going down. He kept us up. He walked when promises were broken.

If we had then failed and gone backwards, I could perhaps understand resentment towards him.

Instead, we've kicked on and have O'Neil doing a great job. So why can't we appreciate Lopetegui took us out of the **** and O'Neil has built on his good work by doing superbly well?

Yes, his interviews were annoying, but even his biggest critics will acknowledge he had a point with how it plays out.

Him running his mouth was a small price to pay for keeping us in the league. He's gone, we've improved. Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom