Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui Book of Condolences...

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your second para might be meaningful had Sevilla not made major changes including bringing back loan players in the January window.

Well, he still left a club that he said wasn't good enough, that several months later won the Europa League. If he hadn't forced his exit, he would have had the same players that won the cup.
Don't you think with the fortunes he earns, he should just get on with what he is paid to do, instead of using the media to force his exit?

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much for you getting out. The first half of the first sentence sounds like Mr Pot addressing Mr Kettle....

It was meant to be. It is ironic that a poster who has posted so much, in such a biased way about OLM, tells me I am posting biased diatribes about him.
I took it as a compliment. . Lol.

loppers86

Reaction score
Rubbish, a top manager would make the most of it!!
i really think most top managers would be looking for a job where they can win things and improve their reputation.

their are very few (probably zero) top managers that would think ‘i was bought here under false pretences - but i’ll stay and make the most of it for a few years’

loppers86

Reaction score
It was meant to be. It is ironic that a poster who has posted so much, in such a biased way about OLM, tells me I am posting biased diatribes about him.
I took it as a compliment. . Lol.
He didn’t want the job, we lied to him to persuade him. he saved us, found out we lied and quit.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some don’t like you to have an educated opinion but they have their entrenched views. You’re not posting in a vacuum, are you? It take two or more to have a dialogue.
Long before JL arrived, some believed that Jeff is a liar, the club is a shambles, run by clowns etc.
Therefore, rather than be loyal to the club in the absence of accurate information, they chose to take JL’s side.
Alternatively we look at the information available and come to our own conclusion.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll never know. Maybe he’d stay and honour his contract…….some people still do that.
Didn’t Nuno say that he had a contract when there were rumours of Arsenal being interested in him?
They all say that if it is factually correct.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Good judge of what a team can achieve?

Funniest post on this subject I have read. He left the team that he said wasn't good enough, that then went on to win the Europa League.
Sevilla own the Europa Cup according to you though, winning it hardly counted as an achievement for you when Lopetegui did it. Already on their 3rd manager since Lopetegui left. Look at the league, the Seville derby will just be a meaningless mid-table clash against a team who lose to a Scottish pub team. ;)

What really matters is that Fosun don't pass the blame onto Lopetegui for their lack of ambition for the club. Supposedly he wanted a pacy CB, a LB, a midfielder and a CF. Anyone who has paid attention for the first third of the season knows that's still what we need, maybe O'Neil working with RAN has solved the LB issue, but the failure to properly move from a 5 is down to a lack of pace, we're still desperate for a 9. People are pretty happy with O'Neil, but only because expectations have been lowered so effectively.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What really matters is that Fosun don't pass the blame onto Lopetegui for their lack of ambition for the club.

Fosun never passed the blame on to OLM. It was OLM who passed the blame on to the club.
That was actually what he was doing by having arranged interviews with Balague and Balague said quite clearly after his first interview he wouldn't be surprised if he left. That was at the end of May beginning of June.
Once he went public, it was clear he would have to be paid off, one way or another. He did the same thing as you know, twice in less than a year with 2 different clubs, but you want the world to believe he is the one hard one done by, while he has obtained many millions from 2 different clubs, for doing exactly the same thing, that was forcing his own dismissal, for huge multi million pay outs.

(You are right about the pub team) lol

I

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is what Balague said on about the 23rd of May.

"With the club unable to get the signings or investment they promised him and instead having to sell to keep up with FFP, his future is in doubt even though he is under contract."

That is Blackmailing the club and telling the world media that Wolves are a shambles and a direct message to sack him, with a pay off.
OLM, used his media freind Balague, to force his own departure, with a multi million pound pay off and pushing all the blame on to Wolves, while he gets millions off us and no blame.

How anyone can feel he is hard done after that interview, is beyond me.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

"With the club unable to get the signings or investment they promised him and instead having to sell to keep up with FFP, his future is in doubt even though he is under contract."

That is Blackmailing the club and telling the world media that Wolves are a shambles and a direct message to sack him, with a pay off.
OLM, used his media freind Balague, to force his own departure, with a multi million pound pay off. Pushing all the blame on to Wolves, while he gets millions off us and no blame.

Because that post sums it up perfectly.

The club broke a promise and he decided he didn't want to work in a different situation to the one he'd been sold. You talk as if he intended to leave from the day he arrived. If the club hadn't broken what they'd promised, he wouldn't have walked away with a pay-off.

You argument is basically like telling your wife 'I know I've been sleeping around, but you promised to stay with me forever, you can leave if you want, but you're not getting anything'.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

OLM, used his media freind Balague, to force his own departure, with a multi million pound pay off and ushing all the blame on to Wolves, while he gets millions off us and no blame.

There’s none so blind as those who cannot see.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The club broke a promise and he decided he didn't want to work in a different situation to the one he'd been sold. You talk as if he intended to leave from the day he arrived. If the club hadn't broken what they'd promised, he wouldn't have walked away with a pay-off.

You argument is basically like telling your wife 'I know I've been sleeping around, but you promised to stay with me forever, you can leave if you want, but you're not getting anything'.
Yup, loyalty and truthfulness need to be a two-way thing. Rather too many on here appear to believe that the club can do no wrong.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sevilla own the Europa Cup according to you though, winning it hardly counted as an achievement for you when Lopetegui did it. Already on their 3rd manager since Lopetegui left. Look at the league, the Seville derby will just be a meaningless mid-table clash against a team who lose to a Scottish pub team. ;)

What really matters is that Fosun don't pass the blame onto Lopetegui for their lack of ambition for the club. Supposedly he wanted a pacy CB, a LB, a midfielder and a CF. Anyone who has paid attention for the first third of the season knows that's still what we need, maybe O'Neil working with RAN has solved the LB issue, but the failure to properly move from a 5 is down to a lack of pace, we're still desperate for a 9. People are pretty happy with O'Neil, but only because expectations have been lowered so effectively.
He had a pacy CB in Collins, he wasn't interested. Left back he wanted Cresswell, I am glad we are now playing RAN.
We aren't that desperate for a 9. Cunha is playing as a false one and Hwang is attacking the spaces he is leaving behind. They are scoring goals as a result.

I don't understand the comments about a lack of pace in the defence. Semedo was clocked as the 5th quickest defender in the league last season. RAN is like lightning. Kilman and Toti are no slouches. Collins who i was no fan of was quicker than any of them. We ain't getting Koulibaly or Kyle Walker.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s none so blind as those who cannot see.

Very true. He did the same thing twice in one year, to force huge pay offs, which you admit is unique to him, but you clear him of all blame and put all the blame on to the clubs.

You do that because of your agenda against FOSUN. You back someone who blackmailed our club and then say. " There's none so blind as those who can't see.".

It is possible to attack Fosun if that is what you want and at the same time to admit OLM forced his own sacking to get a pay off. I could at least understand that, but to deny OLM forced his own departure, for a pay off is beyond me.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true. He did the same thing twice in one year, to force huge pay offs, which you admit is unique to him, but you clear him of all blame and put all the blame on to the clubs.

You do that because of your agenda against FOSUN. You back someone who blackmailed our club and then say. " There's none so blind as those who can't see.".

It is possible to attack Fosun if that is what you want and at the same time to admit OLM forced his own sacking to get a pay off. I could at least understand that, but to deny OLM forced his own departure, for a pay off is beyond me.
I don’t have an agenda against Fosun. Lopetegui would still be here if he was given the backing he was told he was getting.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, loyalty and truthfulness need to be a two-way thing. Rather too many on here appear to believe that the club can do no wrong.

Not me, they have done things wrong, but have given me my best days as a Wolves fan in over 40 years.
I don't understand the logic because you are against Fosun, you can't admit that it is glaringly obvious after his interview with Balague, that he forced his own departure, with a pay off. He basically blackmailed Wolves, like he did Seville less than a year before.

23rd of May 2023 Balague said.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not me, they have done things wrong, but have given me my best days as a Wolves fan in over 40 years.
I don't understand the logic because you are against Fosun, you can't admit that it is glaringly obvious after his interview with Balague, that he forced his own departure, with a pay off. He basically blackmailed Wolves, like he did Seville less than a year before.

23rd of May 2023 Balague said.

Thanks for admitting that he left because promised backing was reneged on we got there in the end.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t have an agenda against Fosun. Lopetegui would still be here if he was given the backing he was told he was getting.

So you think you can employ a manager, who does an interview and blackmails the club?

May 23rd Balague said,

You can't employ someone who uses the media to run down the club that employs him. He knows this and knew that the club would have to pay him off after dragging wolves down infront of the world media.

You are defending a serial blackmailer. Lol.

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Things change in business, budgets change, new challenges arise, priorities shift. Maybe Fosun did overpromise, got their financial projections wrong, underestimated the scale of the FFP challenge, global finances impacted the overall group. It's not breaking a promise, it's just what happens and certainly doesn't equate to breaking marriage vows.

JL then had a choice to make and he made it fair enough. All this vilifying him or vilifying FOSUN is a bit over the top. I'm also not convinced JL would have done a better job than GON either tbh and I'm a big JL fan, but that's complete conjecture. We can judge GON on the squad in 12 months time hopefully.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for admitting that he left because promised backing was reneged on we got there in the end.

Twisting words and lying won't get you anywhere. OLM said that, not me. You really don't have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was working on a project at work it was worth £28m, had been on it for 4 years on and off, I actually started the project. Then the business decided we can't afford that now, and shelved it. The business need is still there and they've just kicked off a new project for £12m essentially saying, see if you can get the same results, the challenge is to think creatively, to work smarter, harder more efficiently to deliver the outcomes, as far as I know no one has flounced off, crying that we were promised £28m, there was some moaning to be fair, however we got over that quickly and are getting stuck into it.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was working on a project at work it was worth £28m, had been on it for 4 years on and off, I actually started the project. Then the business decided we can't afford that now, and shelved it. The business need is still there and they've just kicked off a new project for £12m essentially saying, see if you can get the same results, the challenge is to think creatively, to work smarter, harder more efficiently to deliver the outcomes, as far as I know no one has flounced off, crying that we were promised £28m, there was some moaning to be fair, however we got over that quickly and are getting stuck into it.
happens everywhere.

we’ve been granted £500m worth of funding for various projects and i know 100% that this will get altered / funds will get pulled elsewhere. it’s the nature of business.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes lets equate our own jobs to being one of 20 PL managers. :D
It's not so much about individual jobs, but more in terms of how large businesses operate and if you've experienced anything like that you probably have a more pragmatic view and get less butt hurt about Fosun "breaking promises".

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well he said himself that he got the story off AS and AS don't name any source of either. Had they given a source it would be different. But they didn't.
There's a key issue here with which you keep persisting. One of the foundational tenets of journalism is you don't give up a source who does not wish to be revealed. The source who leaked the Jonny story to Madeley evidently does not wish to be revealed either, probably for fear of being sacked. The AS source might be Lopetegui or someone acting at his behest, but for all you know it could be anyone who was present during discussions - including from the Al-Ittihad side.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Things change in business, budgets change, new challenges arise, priorities shift. Maybe Fosun did overpromise, got their financial projections wrong, underestimated the scale of the FFP challenge, global finances impacted the overall group. It's not breaking a promise, it's just what happens and certainly doesn't equate to breaking marriage vows.
Making a promise to someone then having to renege because you screwed up your financial calculations, is not much better than breaking the promise outright. The only way what Fosun did is acceptable, either in competence or scruple, is if the Premier League came down on them like an anvil in May as has been rumoured. I have my doubts personally. Not even the Premier League would be so brutal as to say, "You know that thing you thought got you around FFP? Yeah, it doesn't anymore - so you need to make £100m in less than three months or you're getting a points deduction."

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
There's a key issue here with which you keep persisting. One of the foundational tenets of journalism is you don't give up a source who does not wish to be revealed. The source who leaked the Jonny story to Madeley evidently does not wish to be revealed either, probably for fear of being sacked. The AS source might be Lopetegui or someone acting at his behest, but for all you know it could be anyone who was present during discussions - including from the Al-Ittihad side.
Also you don't become the most respected breaker of football news on Twitter if you just repeat any old **** you get fed by someone without making sure it's true.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are you in charge of our striker recruitment?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also you don't become the most respected breaker of football news on Twitter if you just repeat any old **** you get fed by someone without making sure it's true.
I presume you mean Romano. Yes, it seems likely to me he would inquire with his own trusted sources and not just regurgitate a story as true prima facie, in case it gets debunked and puts egg on his face.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

JL then had a choice to make and he made it fair enough. All this vilifying him or vilifying FOSUN is a bit over the top. I'm also not convinced JL would have done a better job than GON either tbh and I'm a big JL fan, but that's complete conjecture. We can judge GON on the squad in 12 months time hopefully.
That's a fair point and it would be good to have some clarity. I have said before that as far as I can see the possibilities are
1. Fosun decided in the Spring to stop subsidising Wolves and want to run the club at break even or better. Shi just got told, sorry, no more cash.

2. Shi miscalculated the FFP situation and thought we could spend and work within the rules. Then discovered for whatever reason that we couldn't.

3. Shi intended to break the rules and take whatever the PL decided to throw at us. Then found that they'd finally got round to taking their own rules seriously.

Or maybe some combination of all 3!

That would be fascinating to know, but none of it changes the fact that the situation in May was very different to what Lopetegui was sold in November.

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. I guess I'm just a bit bitter at continuing to pay top 6 prices for survival football. It's not just Lopetegui leaving that grates, it's the selling and abandoning of the whole dream of returning to European football. I'll be there either way, but I that's because I'm a fan, not an employee.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a fair point and it would be good to have some clarity. I have said before that as far as I can see the possibilities are
1. Fosun decided in the Spring to stop subsidising Wolves and want to run the club at break even or better. Shi just got told, sorry, no more cash.

2. Shi miscalculated the FFP situation and thought we could spend and work within the rules. Then discovered for whatever reason that we couldn't.

3. Shi intended to break the rules and take whatever the PL decided to throw at us. Then found that they'd finally got round to taking their own rules seriously.

That would be fascinating to know, but none of it changes the fact that the situation in May was very different to what Lopetegui was sold in November.

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. I guess I'm just a bit bitter at continuing to pay top 6 prices for survival football. It's not just Lopetegui leaving that grates, it's the selling and abandoning of the whole dream of returning to European football. I'll be there either way, but I that's because I'm a fan, not an employee.
I absolutely agree and whilst I don't agree with JLs decision to walk away, I understand it and respect it.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Making a promise to someone then having to renege because you screwed up your financial calculations, is not much better than breaking the promise outright. The only way what Fosun did is acceptable, either in competence or scruple, is if the Premier League came down on them like an anvil in May as has been rumoured. I have my doubts personally. Not even the Premier League would be so brutal as to say, "You know that thing you thought got you around FFP? Yeah, it doesn't anymore - so you need to make £100m in less than three months or you're getting a points deduction."
Too idealistic and too simplistic, things change, many things will play into the situation, often things outside of your control and you have to be agile enough to respond. JL decided he didn't want to which is fair enough and everyone moves on.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I absolutely agree and whilst I don't agree with JLs decision to walk away, I understand it and respect it.

If he had just walked away with out the interviews with Balague, I would have no problem with that either.
My problem is, that he did those interviews knowing the club would end up having to terminate his contract, with a big pay out. Also, the interviews made Wolves look like club not to come to, if you are.player.
At the end of the day, the interviews were geared for the benefit of our last manager and did no favours for Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club,, which at the end of the day, is all I care about.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

From his letter and how he admitted mistakes were made in refreshing the squad and how hard it is to run a club….

I am saying a blend of all three has likely happened.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves weren't onto the £12m project though - that project and the replacement for that project had both been shelved

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I for one am loyal to the club and won’t condemn them unless I have accurate info.

Why wouldn’t I give them the benefit of the doubt? I don’t add 2 + 2 and see 5.

Back
Top Bottom