Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to bang on but we need a striker who basically, what we called in the old days, goal hangs. Look where Haarland gets all his goals- by the penalty spot. This is the 3rd straight season after RJ's injury where we have not brought in a proper striker. Yes, I know Sasa may turn out to be a world beater but tbh I'm not holding my breath.
Haaland is magnificent mate . The 2 finishes were top draw , he knows when to make the run and he drags defenders all over the show.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s early days yet, and I still think that when we can play him and Sasa up front together, it will benefit them both.
It is early days . But all I can see is wishful thinking .

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haaland is magnificent mate . The 2 finishes were top draw , he knows when to make the run and he drags defenders all over the show.
Haarland is the perfect example of a CF. I'm not expecting Silva to get in his stratosphere but in an earlier post I quoted Bully and Kevin Phillips as good striking examples. If we had that type of CF now we would get more goals; I'm worried that Silva actually may not be good enough for the Prem. If only we had paid £5-£10 mil for him he would not be under the microscope so much as he is now?

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was fully behind giving Silva his head and a run of starts but I'm not sure how long we persevere over say Hwang who must have the best goals per.minute ratio bar Sasa...

Everyone wants it to work for him so much but he does need to start scoring.

I think his best was the cameo against Utd, didn't offer anything yesterday really...
Word up.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’s just starting his 4th season with us and I just don’t see signs of this exceptional prospect that Shi raved about. Have we got more bang for our buck from Hwang, absolutely and he deserves to start on current form over Silva.
Unless Silva has a good season for us, I think next summer a move is best for both us and him.

greg

Reaction score
Totally irrelevant I know but seeing what you wrote reminded me of the great Morcambe and Wise classic line about playing the piano -'You're playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order'! I'll get my coat.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio still doesn’t seem to have it

Sasa has to start with Cunha, Hwang and Neto up front

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had no chance against Guehi and Andersen, he got bullied all game long. Playing with his back to goal is not playing to his strengths.

You either play him off the left, or behind Sasa. Unfortunately, only one of Cunha or Silva can play off Sasa, so I think he needs to play off the left, as he did effectively for PSV.
Exactly this. He got swallowed up against Everton’s big lumps at the back as well. He has to play on the left of the 3 if we are going to get anything from him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha was a lot worse than Fabio on Sunday as were Sarabia and Dawson, probably RAN too.

A worse Cunha still scores an actual goal though. And we all know Cunha is not actually a goal scorer. Fabio was signed as a generational talent goal scorer. We were led to believe he would be performing at the level we are seeing from Ferguson at Brighton. The reality is far short of that.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People saying silva is a number 10 and not a number 9 - I'll be honest, I don't see that.Can someone try and explain so I can understand?

From what I can see he has no pace, he can't drop a shoulder and go past someone.He doesn't seem to have a wide range of passing in his arsenal and he certainly can't thread the ball through the eye of a needle.All requirements ideally for a number 10.

Are they saying it's because he can't hold the ball up?If so, his limitations in playing as a number 9 don't automatically mean his best position is playing on the shoulder of one.

Maybe he's just not qualified for either position.

Personally I think his best quality is he seems to be a 'fox in the box' type centre forward.He is an instinctive finisher, I'll give him that.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean much to us because we create so few of those types of chances.
I agree, but Fabio isn't an instinctive goalscorer either. He misses easy chances and passes the ball when he should shoot. I think he would look OK in a lower league, but out of his depth in the Premier league.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, Silva is basically Shi's vanity project. The former needs to go before he loses the value and the latter before he loses the club anymore value.
Do either of those matter to you, really? As long as we stay up, I couldn’t give two ****s what Fabio is ‘valued’ at or how much Wolves will cost potential buyers. Why the **** would it? I have my own cost of living **** to worry about.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I agree, but Fabio isn't an instinctive goalscorer either. He misses easy chances and passes the ball when he should shoot. I think he would look OK in a lower league, but out of his depth in the Premier league.

Haha, ye.

I was trying to look on the bright side I guess.

T

TheConcourse

Every coach he's ever had??
Look at his goal scoring record excluding penalties... Doherty has nearly caught him up in just 1 game
I don’t need to. His goal scoring record is ****. My argument is that we are asking him to play with his back to goal and come deep.

I think he looks better in the box playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

Goals against the ****, and played a big part in Dunk getting sent off v Brighton a few years ago show his strength.

He needs to improve, but asking him to hold the ball up against two gigantic CB’s, or asking him to drop to his defensive midfield third isn’t playing to his strengths is it?

Watkins runs the channels, plays on the shoulder and goes. Why can’t we do something similar?!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t need to. His goal scoring record is ****. My argument is that we are asking him to play with his back to goal and come deep.

I think he looks better in the box playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

Goals against the ****, and played a big part in Dunk getting sent off v Brighton a few years ago show his strength.

He needs to improve, but asking him to hold the ball up against two gigantic CB’s, or asking him to drop to his defensive midfield third isn’t playing to his strengths is it?

Watkins runs the channels, plays on the shoulder and goes. Why can’t we do something similar?!
We don't ask him to play like that , he just goes deep and runs around like a useless headless chicken. Always has , always will ...he's not good enough

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Watkins is much stronger than Silva, he’s more than capable of holding the ball up, unlike Silva.

I think Silva’s best position is off the left, akin to Rashford, and he played there multiple times for PSV when De Jong started through the middle.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haarland is the perfect example of a CF. I'm not expecting Silva to get in his stratosphere but in an earlier post I quoted Bully and Kevin Phillips as good striking examples. If we had that type of CF now we would get more goals; I'm worried that Silva actually may not be good enough for the Prem. If only we had paid £5-£10 mil for him he would not be under the microscope so much as he is now?
I reckon if we had payed that he would have been sold by now

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's been here over 3 years now. Every season, a fair few have promised us that "next season is the one". It was getting quite fevered round here when he scored goals against Belgian league clubs on a par with Wigan and Rotherham last season. When is it not "early days"? Another 3 years without goals?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe this is a cop out for him as I really want (and thought) he would succeed but I’m still going to give him time as Everton away and Palace away are difficult games.

Aside from a handful of occasions, I don't remember any side really going to either Goodison or Selhurst, playing well and creating chances. Of course, there will be teams that you can pick out, but it's rare. And, we're talking about two bottom half clubs, yet every game at their stadiums seem a battle. It's hard work, and if you win, you win like we did at Everton.

So, I won't judge Silva yet, and he could actually benefit more from playing a Liverpool than an Everton, even if we're sure to lose the game IMO. But, he and Cunha could actually improve from an individual perspective.

We've basically got to give Silva until January, and that's a fair time frame. On him now, but too soon to write off IMO.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Yeah, a 21-year old striker has one difficult league game out of four and let's run him down. He's played decently in the first three, IMO. He's going to be up-and-down this year, but what we hope is that his decent games outnumber his anonymous games (i.e., begins to develop more consistency). He is really just breaking into the side so we need to be patient.

He certainly will not be as good with his back to the goal, even though he is stronger, he's still young and developing this part of his game. Same with heading the ball--it's a weakness. He'll be better running off the shoulder, linking with others, and being the fox in the box. He's usually in the right positions to get shots on goal. I prefer Cunha as the deeper striker when we play them together as he is stronger and better running with the ball.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe this is a cop out for him as I really want (and thought) he would succeed but I’m still going to give him time as Everton away and Palace away are difficult games.

Aside from a handful of occasions, I don't remember any side really going to either Goodison or Selhurst, playing well and creating chances. Of course, there will be teams that you can pick out, but it's rare. And, we're talking about two bottom half clubs, yet every game at their stadiums seem a battle. It's hard work, and if you win, you win like we did at Everton.

So, I won't judge Silva yet, and he could actually benefit more from playing a Liverpool than an Everton, even if we're sure to lose the game IMO. But, he and Cunha could actually improve from an individual perspective.

We've basically got to give Silva until January, and that's a fair time frame. On him now, but too soon to write off IMO.
Pick him until January ,and we ll be relegated

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been watching highlights of his time at PSV and he doesn't look bad at all. Above all he looked as though he was enjoying himself, whereas against Palace he looked absolutely lost. Can't help wondering if it is a mental/confidence thing or whether no manager has discovered the right way to utilise him. Would have been interesting to see what Julen made of him. Got a horrible feeling that he may go down as one of the many enigmas that have passed through this club.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio continues to be a divisive one amongst fans.

Totally not his fault or doing, however purely based on his displays with us & outward loan spells, I don't believe we would be continuing to persevere with him if it weren't for the large price we paid for him.

From what I've observed this season, whilst there is no doubting he shows willing, his link up play still seems considerably short of where it needs to be and against Everton & Brighton he couldn't convert the 1v1 chances he had in each game. Equally it's fair to acknowledge he showed sharpness in the Everton game to get into the position in the first place & also managed 3 efforts on target vs Man Utd in a cameo performance.

If most of us would still accept selling him for the same money we paid for him a few years ago (even considering the inflation factor) then I'm afraid it does suggest that he's falling short of expectations and that we need better than him upfront to stand a chance of progressing.

This doesn't mean that, whilst he's playing, that we shouldn't continue to support & get behind him and give him the best possible platform of coming good (& fingers crossed proving some of us wrong).

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been watching highlights of his time at PSV and he doesn't look bad at all. Above all he looked as though he was enjoying himself, whereas against Palace he looked absolutely lost. Can't help wondering if it is a mental/confidence thing or whether no manager has discovered the right way to utilise him. Would have been interesting to see what Julen made of him. Got a horrible feeling that he may go down as one of the many enigmas that have passed through this club.

Check the opponent level. It's very different being in a top team, playing mostly against those a good way below. Like Scottish football, playng for Celtic/Rangers is very flattering most weeks against Championship opposition. Look how Villa humiliated Hibs and the Dutch (and Belgian) leagues aren't much better.

I've noticed Fabio alwayt does best against those lower than Premier League level. Blackpool for example. Even in the Belgian league, I watched him several times, he always struggled against the top 3 or 4 teams, but would look brilliant against the bottom of the table clubs.

I don't think it's an enigma, just the level he's at. No idea what level he will end up as he will improve, for sure. The question is when? And how much? Sometimes, strikers start suddenly start scoring at this level at 26, even older.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Well, considering we had high hopes of Fabio I just can’t see him cutting the mustard as our main strike force!

No disrespect to the player but this one’s on Mendes and in particular Fosun for agreeing the initial fee if we are led to believe?

However, on the plus side, great ringer for Oscar Wilde!!

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me, the problem at the moment with Fabio is that he is neither a 9 or a 10. He is a 9.5 without the hold up play or clinical finishing to be a 9 or the vision and passing to be a 10. It is almost exactly the same problem we have got with Cunha too.

One or both of them have to play off Sasa as neither of them can do the 9 role effectively whilst teams can still be effective without a recognised 10.

Back
Top Bottom