Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio needs to come back and be given a chance to see if the loans spells have done what they were intended to do - improve him.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio needs to come back and be given a chance to see if the loans spells have done what they were intended to do - improve him.
He is and will be, the only other discerning factor is JL here or not.

Its all quiet.

IF JL is here, fabio is having preseason to be looked at, before any decision is made.

There are alot of teams interested, but i assure you he isnt going out before being looked at as a starter

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Its all quiet.

IF JL is here, fabio is having preseason to be looked at, before any decision is made.

There are alot of teams interested, but i assure you he isnt going out before being looked at as a starter
Exactly this.

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
This really shouldn't be a discussion..........

He's our player and left a very different club, Bruno was in charge and the "clear out of the old guard" happened when he went out on loan at the start of last season - Saiss, Coady, Boly etc.... Fabio was sent on loan to develop and he's had a great season. But Loppy needs to sell his own project to him. This is a different club inside now, a completely different set up and feel to it. Tempt him back on the basis that the strikers shirt is his to loose and to perform in the biggest domestic league in the world - Cunha has hardly torn up any trees........

Have a good look at him pre-season and take it from there.

If he wasn't already coming with the price tag, history and baggage, based on facts alone I'd be very excited if we were looking at him fresh.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to the lad, I would be really interested to see how much he has improved since he left us.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it was up to me, I'd be getting rid of anybody that doesn't want to be here and only signing players that want to play for us.

So if Silva wants to leave. He's gone. He's not bigger then the club.
Except the "wants to leave" narrative is totally made up, based on nothing and just repeated by the same people over and over again until people start to believe it.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is utterly ridiculous to me that people want to bin Fabio and take a big loss on him. He's now at the age we bought him to make an impact at and has had a good year in Belgium and Holland behind him. He looks fit and much stronger yet some on here want him bombed out without even seeing if he's the player we hoped he would be, based on his transfer fee, performances as a 17 yr old kid thrust into a role he was nowhere near ready for by unfortunate circumstances (neither of which were anything to do with him) and some made up comments attributed to him saying that he didn't want to be at Wolves anymore. I bet they're the same people who still think Andy Murray hates England based on the joke he made with Tim Henman in 2006.

Why do some so called Wolves supporters not want to give this kid a chance?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is, that doesn't leave as many players as we like to think it does.

Players want to play in the premier league. Does it mean maybe we can't get some of the high profile players, sure! I don't want any more Guedes at the club.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players want to play in the premier league. Does it mean maybe we can't get some of the high profile players, sure! I don't want any more Guedes at the club.
The problem is there are another 19 teams un the league that can offer that.
It used to be that you could almost guarantee players playing regularly here, and the likes of Jota and Neves moved because they knew they would play regularly here. That is gone. As has the outside possibility of European football.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is there are another 19 teams un the league that can offer that.
It used to be that you could almost guarantee players playing regularly here, and the likes of Jota and Neves moved because they knew they would play regularly here. That is gone. As has the outside possibility of European football.

Joao Gomes still came. Look at Brighton, outside of the seaside they didn't have much more to offer than the other 19 teams. rely on Scouting and investing in under-the-radar young players who see us as an opportunity and are not forced here by the agent or chasing a bag of money. Add some more low-risk experienced players to give us a floor and keep us in the league.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joao Gomes still came. Look at Brighton, outside of the seaside they didn't have much more to offer than the other 19 teams. rely on Scouting and investing in under-the-radar young players who see us as an opportunity and are not forced here by the agent or chasing a bag of money. Add some more low-risk experienced players to give us a floor and keep us in the league.
In my opinion you are going struggle to have players who want to be here when you have a squad as big as ours now is.
If players don't want to come or be here we have to look at the reasons why.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion you are going struggle to have players who want to be here when you have a squad as big as ours now is.
If players don't want to come or be here we have to look at the reasons why.

We'll sell many players this summer. we don't have many players that are guaranteed to play which will put players off joining. The isn't one position that is a lock to be somebody going into next season.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Respectfully I don’t see it as a disaster…….if you disagree, then please define disaster in the a football sense, ( obviously not as a storm, earthquake etc).

No money has been squandered……you only think it has been…not the same thing at all. Usually, squandered means that money has been wasted but that‘s not the case with Silva….yet. It’s possible but unlikely that the future may well prove you right……but we’re not there yet.

There is no reason to think that the Wolves mgt. would have or should spent the Silva transfer money on somebody else…….we weren’t privy to to the discussions prior to purchasing Silva.

I‘m not trying to argue with you but please consider that Silva may yet be a wise investment.

And as to your point about investing wisely and strengthening the side instead of “squandering the money on Silva” ………we don’t know how that might have turned out, do we? Would we have ended up with another Guedes or Cutrone?

IMO, it’s inaccurate and misleading to judge the Silva deal at this stage. He’s only 20.
Do you not have any suspicions yet that this deal was all about a few people making money rather than improving our team? Mendes payback? Wolves signing a player who’d scored one first team goal in his life for 35 million? Really?

In the summer of 2019 we had just finished 7th with a tiny squad that was very fortunate to avoid pretty much any injuries. The money should have been spent on improving the squad in the short term, couple of first team players, not some pipe dream that we’d signed the next Ronaldo who’d come good in 3-4 years.

Can already see posters who’d guaranteed we’d “double or triple our money” on Fabio backtracking.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you not have any suspicions yet that this deal all about a few people making money rather than improving our team? Mendes payback? Wolves signing a player who’d scored one first goal in his life for 35 million? Really?

In the summer of 2019 we had just finished 7th with a tiny squad that was very fortunate to avoid pretty much any injuries. The money should have been spent on improving the squad in the short term, couple of first team players, not some pipe dream that we’d signed the next Ronaldo who’d come good in 3-4 years.

Can already see posters who’d guaranteed we’d “double or triple our money” on Fabio backtracking.
Yep, I like Silva but the deal is so questionable.

I have said a few times that Shi said he was tracked for 18 months, and the Porto president confirmed he had a release clause of £10m six months before he joined Wolves. In that period, he did not do anything of note in senior football. So, if he was tracked by us, we would've signed him for £10m.

Again, I like Silva and want him to lead the line for us next season, but the deal is incredibly iffy.

As for your last line, I agree. I notice one who constantly said for years we'd easily double our money on him is now willing to accept £25m this summer :D

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you not have any suspicions yet that this deal all about a few people making money rather than improving our team? Mendes payback? Wolves signing a player who’d scored one first goal in his life for 35 million? Really?

I don’t share your suspicions that the “deal was all about a few people making money”. There is no evidence to support this, ( as far as I know).
As for what the money should have been spent ……well who knows? Not for me to say.
However the Wolves mgt. chose to buy Silva and they obviously must have thought it was a good idea……..and it still may be.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even at 18 in a side that played within itself he was able to find chances and score some big goals. He should definitely be in our thinking next season.

Shove him up top by himself with ineffective wingers and a midfield in a different county then yeh forget about it. But if we use some brains and get a mobile CF alongside him with Cunha just off them, he'll be an asset, I'm confident of it.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its all quiet.

Probably also depends whether or not he will push for a move away.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldnt sell him unless he wants to leave, not even for the money we paid for him. Its all down to him though as i dont believe its worth keeping unhappy players or players that dont want to be here. Guedes is the prime example. Really rate him as a player, but it looks and feels now like he's been pushed into a move he didnt want, hardly surprising an unhappy player hasnt settled and isnt playing well.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His signing was a disaster because we squandered money on a hopeful project instead of continuing to strengthen the side to sustain what was a very solid foundation. If we had spent that money wisely we wouldn't be where we are now. His signing was nonsensical and we are still seeing the fallout from it.

And to be clear, it isn't his fault.
And you can guarantee that, how…?
Oh how the road not chosen is always glittered with diamonds and gold.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you can guarantee that, how…?
Oh how the road not chosen is always glittered with diamonds and gold.
Precisely. The money would have turned out to be much more 'wisely' spent if Raúl hadn't been assaulted. If we had a crystal ball and knew what was going to happen that November, I doubt we spend £35m on a player for the future

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I have the feeling that what Fabio needs and what Wolves need from him arent quite in synch. He's had a couple of good loans and done well, so what he needs now is a good solid season of starting games regularly and getting in to a good goal scoring groove. I doubt that will happen at Wolves this season for him however and depending on recruitment we may well need him as back up. If we do bring in a striker though, I think he's ready for a season in the Championship, Im sure many clubs would be happy to take him.

Maybe if we sign Gyokeres we can loan Fabio to Cov and knock £5m off the asking price, actually think that might work out quite well :D

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have the feeling that what Fabio needs and what Wolves need from him arent quite in synch. He's had a couple of good loans and done well, so what he needs now is a good solid season of starting games regularly and getting in to a good goal scoring groove. I doubt that will happen at Wolves this season for him however and depending on recruitment we may well need him as back up. If we do bring in a striker though, I think he's ready for a season in the Championship, Im sure many clubs would be happy to take him.

Maybe if we sign Gyokeres we can loan Fabio to Cov and knock £5m off the asking price, actually think that might work out quite well :D
Fabio is better than Gyokeres.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What makes you think Gyokeres would be an upgrade? I'd take Fabio any day and save a fortune.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t share your suspicions that the “deal was all about a few people making money”. There is no evidence to support this, ( as far as I know).

"The authorities want to discern why Porto did not receive a larger proportion of the €40m transfer fee. They were due to profit around €30m after agent fees were deducted. That €10m broke down into €7m for GestiFute - owned by notorious super-agent Jorge Mendes - and €3m for STV, a company headed by Silva’s father."

"Porto claimed they only profited €25m from the deal. This has led to questions about where the remaining €5m has gone."
"The missing €5m is not the only irregularity in the Silva deal. A payment of €500,000 to PP Sports - owned by Pedro Pinho, who is under investigation by the Portuguese Public Ministry and Tax Authority - from Mendes’ company is also causing question marks."

Fabio Silva's Wolves transfer under investigation by Portuguese authorities

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"The authorities want to discern why Porto did not receive a larger proportion of the €40m transfer fee. They were due to profit around €30m after agent fees were deducted. That €10m broke down into €7m for GestiFute - owned by notorious super-agent Jorge Mendes - and €3m for STV, a company headed by Silva’s father."

"Porto claimed they only profited €25m from the deal. This has led to questions about where the remaining €5m has gone."
"The missing €5m is not the only irregularity in the Silva deal. A payment of €500,000 to PP Sports - owned by Pedro Pinho, who is under investigation by the Portuguese Public Ministry and Tax Authority - from Mendes’ company is also causing question marks."

Fabio Silva's Wolves transfer under investigation by Portuguese authorities
Was the UK Government's VIP lane used to do this contract by any chance?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For Ajax I’d swap Fabio for Kenneth Taylor - CENTRAL MIDFIELDER
21 years old
32 league games
8 goals
3 assists

Would mean we need to sign a striker but hey three up and coming players in Farmer, Chem & Fraser alongside Sasa does make me think if Fabio goes we should of kept Costa very thin on experience

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For Ajax I’d swap Fabio for Kenneth Taylor - CENTRAL MIDFIELDER
21 years old
32 league games
8 goals
3 assists

Would mean we need to sign a striker but hey three up and coming players in Farmer, Chem & Fraser alongside Sasa does make me think if Fabio goes we should of kept Costa very thin on experience
If he doesn't want to stay then I think a swap like this would be a good move . As long as he wanted to come . Would need a striker from somewhere though that can get double figures .

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think Fabio will make it in the Prem, TBH. By all means Lopi should have a good look at him and decide on a make or break decision.

Agree with comments earlier, that his fee was some sort of balancing payment between Mendes and Porto. There was a lot more in it than a fair fee IMHO.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell for £15 million. With a 40% sell on clause , And incremental step ups on goals scored or appearances.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to give him a chance this season imo. I don't think he's worth that much at the minute, and I don't think his value would be damaged too much if he doesn't bang 15 goals in for us next season. Now or never with Fabio, imo.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His signing was a disaster because we squandered money on a hopeful project instead of continuing to strengthen the side to sustain what was a very solid foundation. If we had spent that money wisely we wouldn't be where we are now. His signing was nonsensical and we are still seeing the fallout from it.

And to be clear, it isn't his fault.
Signing Fabio isn't the disaster, the chosen path of the club, it's transfer policy and ethos has been the disaster.

If only it was just Fabio we overpaid for.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Fabio is a better signing than Guedes who wasn't too far off his price. Still think Fabio will become a quality striker either in the Prem or Spain maybe, not Haaland, Kane or Salah level but the next rung under that.

Back
Top Bottom