Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds verdict

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Such a weird, weird season. Despite those three defeats at the start, I was really encouraged by the nature and attacking intent of our performances.

Since then, our points return has been pretty good but performance levels have fallen dramatically. Really don’t know what to think of us as a side under Bruno at the moment.

Leeds were very average today and absolutely there for the taking if we had shown any semblance of attacking quality. Instead, we gave the ball away incredibly cheaply and showed an increasing unwillingness to even try and get forward as the game progressed.

Thought Sa and Kilman were very good (again) and Dendoncker did an admirable job with Joao having one of those games where he looked as if Father Time was catching up with him.

Raul did ok considering the lack of support he had. Thought Adama was pretty poor but again, as soon as he goes off, our ability to transition up the field reduces and it invites the opposition forward knowing they don’t have to worry his pace on the break.

Thought the penalty was harsh but Gerhardt (who along with Raphinha, looked very good) shouldn’t have been allowed to run as far as he did. Poor decision but we didn’t deserve to win for such a negative second half display.

Sa 7
Kilman 7
Coady 6
Saiss 6
Semedo 6
Dendoncker 7
Moutinho 5
RAN 6
Traore 5
Raul 6
Hwang 6

Podence 6
Hoever 5
Neves N/A

I would have snapped your hand off for 4 points from the last 2 games. But today feels like such a missed opportunity, and bizarrely, I feel more concerned about where we’re heading as a side than I did after those first three games. We currently look very similar to that spell we had last year where we won games against Leeds, Fulham and Sheffield United through moments of individual brilliance rather than any sustained quality in attack.

Probably an over-reaction, particularly given results over the last 6 games, but I’d like to see us go back to that swashbuckling approach we saw at the start of the season.
Great report as always, but surprised to see such a high rating for Dendoncker who I thougt had a very handbrake-on kinda game (and I rate him).

After Adama (who had a bad game) was subbed we didn't have a threat on the counter and Leeds were able to lift their backline. It felt like they ran straight through our midfield every time they won the ball from out dull long balls and there is no way we desvered the three points.

A very hard watch.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
The fact that I'm relieved to get a draw even though we were winning going into injury time tells it's own story.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 points from two difficult away games, take that bany time.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only saw the last 15 minutes. I’m guessing I didn’t miss much but the bit I did see was unadulterated garbage.
The last 15 mins was all Leeds and the worst we played the entire game. First half was fairly balanced, and we deserved to be ahead on the basis of being more clinical. Overall, a draw was fair and defeat for Leeds would have been harsh, if fun for us.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wasn`t at the match so can`t really give an opinion other than
ssn stats showed 66% passsing accuracy bearing in mind the
average across the prem. is over 80%
how many of our players have played international football ?
that must have been poor.
hope everyone has a safe trip home

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno simply has to loose this way too cautious attitude/ approach and quickly. Everton at home next Bruno who just conceded 5 goals at home to Watford. They have key injuries and if we cant go out and play positively and attack them then there is something badly wrong.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wasn`t at the match so can`t really give an opinion other than
ssn stats showed 66% passsing accuracy bearing in mind the
average across the prem. is over 80%
how many of our players have played international football ?
that must have been poor.
hope everyone has a safe trip home

Passing accuracy sums it up. It was hopeless and worrying.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Bruno simply has to loose this way too cautious attitude/ approach and quickly. Everton at home next Bruno who just conceded 5 goals at home to Watford. They have key injuries and if we cant go out and play positively and attack them then there is something badly wrong.
Yeah, we might as well. We are already 9 points above drop zone, if the long term philosophy is to attack then start building it.

greg

Reaction score
Like I said. Old habits die hard, these players have played the same way for 3 years, we need to either replace them with better quality or trust in Bruno to break the mentality

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Use of subs has to improve. Like @Chris H said, performances from 1st 3 games now please.

Fuming at how cheap we gave away possession from that corner before the goal. **** poor from Jiminez & Podence.

Yes - something that repeatedly comes back to bite us. Our forwards love to show off their tricks. Unfortunately, we're conceding more than we are creating from them. If they'd done the boring stuff, they could have won a free kick or corner and we would have scraped a 1-0. Gave the ball away cheaply, instead, showing off.

Annoyed for our defence and keeper, who after being 100% solid throughout, didn't deserve to be let down by their team mates carelessness.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not about being overly cautious or overly attacking, it's about creating an effective structure in which the team is able to create good combinations on the ball, both in attacking situations and in moving the ball out from the back and closing the space when under pressure. We have none of that anymore and haven't for a long while now.

Our XI play like strangers, just happy to "pop the pass off", usually lazily prodded and underhit, and move on to the next game situation. The fact that we have a complete individualist in Traore who the entire team is reliant upon creating danger for the vast majority of our goals to occur from speaks volumes. Today, he was nullified by Leeds and so we had nothing and couldn't relieve any pressure in the closing stages at all.

Although I think Lage has shown nothing to date to suggest he can produce an impressive team a la Wolves August 2017 to lockdown in March 2020, he has been sold decidedly short by the club giving him next to no PL ready options at all when we've largely spent the last 12 months on life support in terms of quality football.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady's comments on Sky Sports sum it up.

Basically said we were scared of them, didn't want to go 'toe to toe' even though their attack had Tyler Roberts, Summerville and Gelhardt compared to Traore, Hwang and Jimenez.

Scared. Comes from the manager.

Our players looked terrified second half. I couldnt believe how bad we were. Really concerning despite our 4 game run. We are playing some very poor stuff at times and dont see any real pattern of play.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People finding consolation because we got a point need to wake up and smell the coffee!
I’m finding consolation from watching entertaining football and getting decent results. Today, first half, we pretty open and even and we deserved our lead. Second half started ok, but we needed to make earlier subs and get on the front foot, when the Leeds support pushed them on. It was a soft penalty, but they clearly deserved something from the game. On balance, I think the result fair.

Is my head in the sand or do I need to “smell the coffee”? No. I’m just not someone who doesn’t feel the need to whinge and moan when we’ve come away from Elland Road with a deserved point, and defended well for 90+ mins.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the passing yet again. We can’t pass even 10 yards. We constantly give the ball away it’s so frustrating.

What has happened since the first 3/4 games. We are lucky to have points on the board.

Spot on.

We are definitely a team trying to evolve and I think we are a whisker away from being a top team. But we’re also a whisker away from a bottom team.

Please please PLEASE don’t **** it up in January.

MIDFIELDER! Preferably two of them.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
If we had of held on we would be sithing 4th tonight as Brighton are getting a walloping and their GD is getting wrecked, strange thing is we lost the first 3 but played well, played poorly for a few games but won and I genuinely don’t have a clue where we will finish this year which as we all know is typical Wolves

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the passing yet again. We can’t pass even 10 yards. We constantly give the ball away it’s so frustrating.

What has happened since the first 3/4 games. We are lucky to have points on the board.
Worse yet, give the ball away in our own box.

Reactions: DPE

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its the basics as well. The passing today was shocking by us and by so called International players. Our set pieces pretty awful as usual as well.

Reactions: DPE

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positives are Sa looks really good. Kilman very good again and I thought RAN did well and should stay in now and very much hope Bruno doesnt drop him and bring Marcal back for the Everton game as that would be a negative change.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor performance. Back three very good, Sa dependable when required. Raul very good target man performance. Dendoncker and Semedo poor.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We set up not to lose and we achieved that. Get some home points and we could have a decent season. With our small squad which lacks quality options we won't be challenging the top 8 will we?
Thought I'd got on one of the big 6 sites with all the moaning comments on here. Leeds got lucky with a point, for all their running they didn't really cause much concern. I agree it's exhausting to watch but a point away is still a decent return and it was so nearly 3.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't remember watching a Wolves' side show such little ambition as we did during that second half, even last season. A draw was much more than we deserved and my eyes will bleed until Tuesday.
You clearly didn’t watch many games last season then
I watched most last season and stand by my comment that second half was as unambitious as anything I saw. It was (as most have commented), pathetic.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't remember watching a Wolves' side show such little ambition as we did during that second half, even last season. A draw was much more than we deserved and my eyes will bleed until Tuesday.

I watched most last season and stand by my comment that second half was as unambitious as anything I saw. It was (as most have commented), pathetic.
Villa first 80 mins?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing display today. Needed changes at half time. A front three wasn't working and midfield overrun. Traore should have been hooked, added absolutely nothing. three in midfield. Goal was inevitable in the end, you cannot sit back that much and think you deserve anything.
Of course we were woeful and surprise surprise who does Celebrity blame.....Traore. You acknowledge the midfield offered nothing and we sat back as a team but of course that is Traore's fault.
Dont you recognise you might be biased.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we were woeful and surprise surprise who does Celebrity blame.....Traore. You acknowledge the midfield offered nothing and we sat back as a team but of course that is Traore's fault.
Dont you recognise you might be biased.

Yeah, we were light in midfield, had to take someone off. Take off the weak link of the front three that was Traore by a distance. That isn't bias, it is common sense.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've worked out what this reminded me of! Spurs' performance at Molineux last season. Early goal then did absolutely nothing, before getting away with a draw.

My main issue today is that Leeds are good going forward and poor at the back. I don't feel they are the sort of team you can invite on to you because they will eventually score. I felt it was on the manager today, and that we could easily have won with more ambition and less scaredness.

I've played enough games of football to know that's easier said than done though.

We need to start turning our excellent away form into home wins though. We're clearly not going down, but I'd love to see us challenge for 7th this season. Even if we fall short (which I suspect we will), it'd be nice to have something to look forward to. The problem about not being in a relegation battle as a mid table premier league club is that there isn't much excitement!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the results?
I believe if we play the way we did against Leicester, Man Utd and Spurs, we’ll get some results out of our next 5 games.

I don’t believe it has to be an either or, I believe there is a balance to be found where we can have a decent share of both performances and results.

Of course results have been great, 13 points from 6 games is a great return, I just feel that generally results will start to fall in line with performances and a team that picks up results despite poor performances will eventually see their results worsen and a team that performs well will eventually get the results they deserve.

I want to see the type of football we played early on, I accept the points return may become more patchy but I worry that if we keep performing the way we are then the results will fall away anyway.

And I say this as a perennial ‘happy clapper’ not as some who is always negative.

Back
Top Bottom