Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds (A) Verdict Thread

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hows your bet on wolves being relegated coming along?

Wrong thread kid.

But seeing as you asked, its fine. the money i bet was only pocket change in the scheme of things, its no big deal.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Record spending in the summer, talk from Fosun of us emulating United and we should be happy with 16th.. you may be happy with that, I think it's pathetic

I have already said quit your jibber jabber. Jeez :rolleyes:

R

reanswolf

I think generally our away fans get behind them. Leeds fans were nervy and it got out to the players, there were a lot of moans and groans especially second half when we frustrated them.

Cheers for that. I have done loads of aways over the years but just wondered how Leeds home support compared to ours.

B

Bullywolf

If you think spending equates to anything then......
I'm far from happy, I just interpret far differently
If spending didnt equate to success for the majority of clubs why do clubs spend at all then? They may as well keep their cash and go off on world cruises

E

Essex Wolf

Why haven't derby gone up? Why haven't Newcastle ****ed it? Why haven't Man Utd walked the league?
Good point but many clubs that do find success have spent well so it sort of goes both ways but Derby is a perfect example of vast sums spent to achieve nothing.

R

reanswolf

Why haven't derby gone up? Why haven't Newcastle ****ed it? Why haven't Man Utd walked the league?

If you spend silly money on one player like Pogba, then well thats the managers fault, but clearly there IS a correlation between spending and success. Whether it be spending on very high wages or on transfer fees - there clearly is a correlation.

Newcastle's spending power has paid dividends - they are up there.
That doesnt mean it always works, you always have an outside chance of doing something withoutspending, but the chance is fairly remote.
Leicester confounded the odds without spending, but that does not undo the correlation that clearly exists.

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you spend silly money on one player like Pogba, then well thats the managers fault, but clearly there IS a correlation between spending and success. Whether it be spending on very high wages or on transfer fees - there clearly is a correlation.

Newcastle's spending power has paid dividends - they are up there.
That doesnt mean it always works, you always have an outside chance of doing something withoutspending, but the chance is fairly remote.
Leicester confounded the odds without spending, but that does not undo the correlation that clearly exists.

But not equates to success as was stated/infered.

R

reanswolf

But not equates to success as was stated/infered.
It depends how you equate success i suppose. Success is a subjective thing. Is it really success when you can out financially out-muscle virtually everyone else? As per Chelsea/City/Manure/Barca/Real etc

B

Bullywolf

You are using isolated examples.. regarding Newcastle they are heading for automatic promotion, how are low spenders like Rotheram getting on? We all know that wages translates to league position for the majority , if it wasn't the case Rochdale and Accrington Stanley would be in the champions league wouldnt they.

B

Bullywolf

I suppose its just a blind coincidence that in every major league in the world the highest payers of wages are near the top of their respective leagues, nothing to do with money at all just the quality of oranges served at HT in the dressing room. Clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern are all threatened with relegation in their leagues so point proven

B

Bullywolf

In the FA cup those renowned low payers of wages Chelsea, Arsenal , spurs and City are left disposing of Bury , Barrow and Brentford etc .. all just amazing coincidence. There will always be clubs that buck the trend but to suggest the trend doesnt exist is just bloody stupid

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are using isolated examples.. regarding Newcastle they are heading for automatic promotion, how are low spenders like Rotheram getting on? We all know that wages translates to league position for the majority , if it wasn't the case Rochdale and Accrington Stanley would be in the champions league wouldnt they.
You're being terribly simplistic. So I was back.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
The point is, there is strong correlation between spending/budget and league position, but it's not a guarantee. Spending lots of money on transfers and wages increases your chance of being successful, but it doesn't make it nailed on.

From my own point of view, I wasn't expecting a massively successful season, due to all the changes which happened in the summer. But I wasn't expecting us to be scratting around in the bottom third of the table. It's disappointing because we've underachieved, but not to the extent that some people are making out.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose its just a blind coincidence that in every major league in the world the highest payers of wages are near the top of their respective leagues, nothing to do with money at all just the quality of oranges served at HT in the dressing room. Clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern are all threatened with relegation in their leagues so point proven
I give you Leicester City

And to prove its no fluke they do summit it took big spending man city years to achieve, in the champion league

B

Bullywolf

And to prove its no fluke they do summit it took big spending man city years to achieve, in the champion league

What do you mean " I give you leicester city" lol You are doing what I said , using isolated examples of freak events ... how are Leicester doing this season then? If wages don't matter why is the top 6 in the league the current 6 highest wage payers ... just blind luck again ? o_O

E

Essex Wolf

What's that saying though maws about "Exception that proves the rule"

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do you mean " I give you leicester city" lol You are doing what I said , using isolated examples of freak events ... how are Leicester doing this season then? If wages don't matter why is the top 6 in the league the current 6 highest wage payers ... just blind luck again ? o_O
Not the quote I used you didn't!

Me Babbies

Reaction score
I think that we are living proof that spending money doesn't buy you success at this level.
We tried it during the Sir Jack years didn't we.
High wage players will win you the league but they can only get you so far if not bonded into a team behind the manager.
Fast forward to Miks championship era and you will see how a team is bonded to become successful & then what happens to that team bond when new players dont gell.

Fans tend to miss this part.

Leicester are a good example of what a tightly bonded team can achieve when given the right support I'm not sure but I don't recall them having whole scale changes to the team between them winning the championship & the side playing in the champo league?
Just maybe one or two in/out per transfer window?

It gives stability to the players and they can build confidence & trust in each other

B

Bullywolf

leicester again lol ..dear lord. Why not mention Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Newcastle, Manchester City, PSG, Porto, Sporting Lisbon , Benfica, Roma, Ajax, PSV who all do well in their respective leagues due to outspending the other competitors season after season. Just because some teams spend money and don't achieve success doesn't mean wages don't equate to a better chance of success... as though all the major clubs in the world have got it wrong by spending money with a few people on the molineux mix having found the holy grail of success: " Dont spend anything as it doesn't really matter."

Thank God many of you don't own businesses attempting to extrapolate patterns using a minority instead of the majority....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is surely, that our ex CEO quoted exactly what you said , then ignored it ! generally position in the league will (these days) equate to wage expenditure. But there is no guarantee, Villa , this year, have spent £70million in the Championship and are pants. Spurs have spent billions over decades and won **** all !

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
leicester again lol ..dear lord. Why not mention Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Newcastle, Manchester City, PSG, Porto, Sporting Lisbon , Benfica, Roma, Ajax, PSV who all do well in their respective leagues due to outspending the other competitors season after season. Just because some teams spend money and don't achieve success doesn't mean wages don't equate to a better chance of success... as though all the major clubs in the world have got it wrong by spending money with a few people on the molineux mix having found the holy grail of success: " Dont spend anything as it doesn't really matter."

Thank God many of you don't own businesses attempting to extrapolate patterns using a minority instead of the majority....
You've simply picked the biggest teams in their respective leagues! Simplistic, I hope YOU don't run your own business ;)

B

Bullywolf

You've simply picked the biggest teams in their respective leagues! Simplistic, I hope YOU don't run your own business ;)

... they are the biggest teams so can afford to pay the highest wages- why do you think they are the most successful, by serving oranges on golden platters? They win silverware because they pay wages higher than other clubs in their league... jesus christ not rocket science is it

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not putting replies through pre mod, that will continue and escalate this spat. So in the interests of fairness, @Mugwump, and @North West Wanderer, it all stops now please. No more.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not putting replies through pre mod, that will continue and escalate this spat. So in the interests of fairness, @Mugwump, and @North West Wanderer, it all stops now please. No more.
spat?
Eh? I think you've misunderstood this. And if you deemed those posts worthy of modding with some of the stuff that gets left alone on here then just WOW!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
... they are the biggest teams so can afford to pay the highest wages- why do you think they are the most successful, by serving oranges on golden platters? They win silverware because they pay wages higher than other clubs in their league... jesus christ not rocket science is it
To me you're missing the point completely. They also have the highest turnovers, fan bases etc. To me you're equating spending money solely with success and that's far too simplistic. There's many more factors involved which I don't think you appreciate, at least by your posts on this thread so far.

R

reanswolf

But he has already said in fairness that those clubs have the biggest turnovers, fan bases etc, he aint even arguing that point. It's the refusal by some to simply understand what a correlation is, or so it appears.

He is absolutely right, can't understand on what grounds anyone can disagree?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he has already said in fairness that those clubs have the biggest turnovers, fan bases etc, he aint even arguing that point. It's the refusal by some to simply understand what a correlation is, or so it appears.

He is absolutely right, can't understand on what grounds anyone can disagree?
Because hes being far too simplistic in my opinion, and others, that's all?

His style of posting is hardly endearing either!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its difficult not to make comments. Its like shooting fish in a barrell! Its not really a spat Mutchy, just some light hearted banter. I mean, he is having a dig as well because i lost a little bit of money on one bet.

R

reanswolf

Because hes being far too simplistic in my opinion, and others, that's all?

His style of posting is hardly endearing either!
I agree he can come across as bolshy, but I do agree with his point.
There clearly is a correlation between money spent and success.

B

Bullywolf

Teams don't win games by beating their chests on the half way line before kickoff like tarzan screaming " We are a bigger club".. they do it by affording better players on higher wages. Of course there will be always examples of clubs bucking the trend for a short period but the clubs I listed have the highest turnover and pay the highest wages to attract the best players. How anyone can disagree with that I've no idea... fan base and club size doesn't win football matches but these things generate revenue which when invested in the team produces a trend of better results in the vast majority of cases over a reasonable time frame. I'd have thought this is the most basic concept imaginable to grasp in football which is generally accepted by every club in the world today or we would have no competitive element at all regarding transfers relating to wages/fees but clearly not.

Back
Top Bottom