Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lambert post match interview v Cardiff

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knee-jerk reactions amongst football fans when their teams are struggling are commonplace.

We've played no better or worse in any of the games lately yet a late winning goal against us seems to turn an alright away performance into a we're awful, we're going down, sack the lot of them one. :)

S

ShropshireLad

We've played no better or worse in any of the games lately yet a late winning goal against us seems to turn an alright away performance into a we're awful, we're going down, sack the lot of them one. :)
Spot on Ashley. Had we drawn that match the reaction would have been very different. The powerful ****tail of the despair of another defeat mixed with alcohol doesn't lead to an informed discussion. ;)

S

ShropshireLad

I dont get why Mendes is even an issue really. Its not like his players are the ones giving away stupid goals.
My view, Mugwump, is that he's not a manager nor director of football and he's been called upon by FOSUN to bring in some players and it seems the manager as well (they have a long-standing close relationship) to manage them and that didn't work well. I know some other players came from other sources but that isn't the way to run a club. Mendes knew nothing about the players who were here, some of whom are decent players, and the new imports needed to be built around them.

As it is now, we have a shed load of disparate players who Lambert is trying to sort into a smaller squad to form a team. We know that he needs to get rid of quite a few players soon so it's understandable that he's sticking to those who he judges that he can do something with and with whom he can build around in January.

That's why I think Mendes and FOSUN are responsible for the mess and we have to give Lambert time to bring his plan to fruition.

S

ShropshireLad

So we need a stronger defence yes?? A better midfield also and yet we have an attacking trio of dicko, Cav and costa that couldn't penetrate an awful Cardiff defence either so do we just require a whole new first team?????........:eek:
:)

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My view, Mugwump, is that he's not a manager nor director of football and he's been called upon by FOSUN to bring in some players and it seems the manager as well (they have a long-standing close relationship) to manage them and that didn't work well. I know some other players came from other sources but that isn't the way to run a club. Mendes knew nothing about the players who were here, some of whom are decent players, and the new imports needed to be built around them.

As it is now, we have a shed load of disparate players who Lambert is trying to sort into a smaller squad to form a team. We know that he needs to get rid of quite a few players soon so it's understandable that he's sticking to those who he judges that he can do something with and with whom he can build around in January.

That's why I think Mendes and FOSUN are responsible for the mess and we have to give Lambert time to bring his plan to fruition.
... 3 of Mendes players played last night and only 1 of the back 8, so tell me how did these 3 players cause our defensive woes?

You can silly it looks to blame Mendes surely? And what about the players Mendes didn't recruit, Bod, Gladon, Stearman, does Thelwell get a pass for them and it's still Mendes fault?

Go and read Tring's post about the state of our squad if you need some revision.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I still don't really see the issue with Mendes. He has a stable of players, and we took advantage of that. He told us who would probably come and we went after them. Whether we picked the right ones is a different matter. I honestly also don't see how many decent players we have either that were here before Fosun. Graham? Possibly Iorfa and Hause in terms of potential? I'm really struggling after that. As for the Zenga link, i'm not sure if that was Mendes or somebody else, i certainly dont ever recall a relationship between him and Mendes, but i could have just overlooked it.

I do feel some people are too fixated on Mendes. We have issues here that have been going on way before both he and Fosun became involved. The poor goalkeeping, the poor defending of Batth, Iorfa, Doc, Hause and Stearman have been here for a while, same with our weakness in midfield with Saville, Edwards, Coady and Price. We havent had a striker since last January of any note. We have a lot more issues really before we start pointing the finger at the likes of Cav, Costa and Teixeira. First people i would be looking at are the common denominators in our constant failures. Like i said somewhere else, we need a big freshen up with some new ideas.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do people expect when our managerial hunt consisted of looking only at out of work British managers with a history of failure at this level.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do people expect when our managerial hunt consisted of looking only at out of work British managers with a history of failure at this level.

How does Lambert have a "history of failure at this level"?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silly me, what a roaring success he was at his last job.

M

Mr Wolf

Anything that goes on in front of the cameras is not the same that happens behind closed doors.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point is, you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

For apparently smart and savvy businessmen, FOSUN have made some pretty god awful decisions so far.

Best thing they could do is give the P45 to anyone who at the club pre August 2016. From the tea lady to the so called director of football, the entire club just reeks of failure, complacency and a jobs for the boys culture.

R

RnBWolf

He keeps saying the players need some help - but what about the games leading up to then (the transfer window)? Has he given them points up? A good manager can get more out of lesser players!

D

Deleted member 4099

Pre and post match interviews are just really the same things said over and over again in a slightly different way depending on results. And IMO don't give a an indication of what's going on behind the seen.

PL has inherited a unbalanced and in many cases unhappy squad players. Many of whom are simply not good enough and most of them were signed by KT. January is huge and must address the spine of the side. I wait to see what happens. Let's hope we can knick a few points between now and then.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PL is not going to say all his players are rubbish.Not whilst we have 3 more games to go before he can bring anyone in.He keeps saying they need to learn and they need help.He is not wrong on that.So to me we can only judge PL after the transfer window has closed and hopefully he has bought in some experienced heads who know the league.You can perhaps get away with 1 defender having an off day.but you cannot get anything from all the defence playing rubbish.They certainly are not playing as a unit,and that's what has to change.Didn't go last night,but for those that did,I reckon they should give you your money back out of the players wages.A goal up after a couple of minutes and just a couple of shots on target all through the match after is ridiculous.:eek:

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
PL is not going to say all his players are rubbish.Not whilst we have 3 more games to go before he can bring anyone in.He keeps saying they need to learn and they need help.He is not wrong on that.So to me we can only judge PL after the transfer window has closed and hopefully he has bought in some experienced heads who know the league.You can perhaps get away with 1 defender having an off day.but you cannot get anything from all the defence playing rubbish.They certainly are not playing as a unit,and that's what has to change...............:eek:
I agree with this too. It seems to me too many people are heavy on vitriol and not seeing the wider picture which has built up over many months...no...since Morgan pulled the plug. It's so easy to spout simplistic solutions when not enough thought is given to the reality of the work which people are trying to do behind the scenes

A

AlexWWFC

PL is not going to say all his players are rubbish.Not whilst we have 3 more games to go before he can bring anyone in.He keeps saying they need to learn and they need help.He is not wrong on that.So to me we can only judge PL after the transfer window has closed and hopefully he has bought in some experienced heads who know the league.You can perhaps get away with 1 defender having an off day.but you cannot get anything from all the defence playing rubbish.They certainly are not playing as a unit,and that's what has to change.Didn't go last night,but for those that did,I reckon they should give you your money back out of the players wages.A goal up after a couple of minutes and just a couple of shots on target all through the match after is ridiculous.:eek:

Completely agree with fans getting their money back, will never happen though I think it's more likely those poor away fans will get a 'we've learnt our lesson' in the paper and they are nearly their for the Forest game.

If the players had any shred of pride they would offer up some wages for the away fans, but I imagine they don't really care despite the effort to walk 10 yards to applaud them before dragging their heels off the pitch.

Don't deserve the support they receive at the moment.

F

FLEET WOLF

Anything that goes on in front of the cameras is not the same that happens behind closed doors.
Very true that and I am hoping that Lambert is coming out with a few home truths in the dressing room

S

ShropshireLad

I still don't really see the issue with Mendes. He has a stable of players, and we took advantage of that. He told us who would probably come and we went after them. Whether we picked the right ones is a different matter. I honestly also don't see how many decent players we have either that were here before Fosun. Graham? Possibly Iorfa and Hause in terms of potential? I'm really struggling after that. As for the Zenga link, i'm not sure if that was Mendes or somebody else, i certainly dont ever recall a relationship between him and Mendes, but i could have just overlooked it.

I do feel some people are too fixated on Mendes. We have issues here that have been going on way before both he and Fosun became involved. The poor goalkeeping, the poor defending of Batth, Iorfa, Doc, Hause and Stearman have been here for a while, same with our weakness in midfield with Saville, Edwards, Coady and Price. We havent had a striker since last January of any note. We have a lot more issues really before we start pointing the finger at the likes of Cav, Costa and Teixeira. First people i would be looking at are the common denominators in our constant failures. Like i said somewhere else, we need a big freshen up with some new ideas.
Who is the "we" who went after them, mate? It was Mendes who made the choice about who to send from his camp as Jeff said that he did rely on him for advice.
I didn't see the match last night so can't comment about that match despite hearing the commentary and reading the reports. However, from what I know it's clear that we haven't got a coherent squad and parachuting in so many players in August has caused confusion. The addition of Gladon seems to have been down to Thelwell and I guess that there have been inputs from other sources for some of the other recruits.

I still regard Mendes as being part of the current problem rather than the solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ShropshireLad

Are you being deliberately obtuse? 3 of Mendes players played last night and only 1 of the back 8, so tell me how did these 3 players cause our defensive woes?

You can silly it looks to blame Mendes surely? And what about the players Mendes didn't recruit, Bod, Gladon, Stearman, does Thelwell get a pass for them and it's still Mendes fault?

Go and read Tring's post about the state of our squad if you need some revision.
Calm down. People have different opinions and we don't share the same outlook. There's no need to be abusive about it.

If you were to read my post again you'd realise that you're addressing issues that I never mentioned. I also didn't specifically refer to last night's game as I wasn't there; although I heard the commentary but that doesn't qualify me to make sweeping judgements. Of course some will see it your way but that doesn't mean you're right. I know there are some who agree with me but that doesn't make me right. It's how we see things differently.

If folk don't agree with my view I can accept the difference of opinion and agree to differ amicably as I'm not arrogant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lot of over reaction on here, listen to most pre and post match interviews with most managers and they say the same thing its just all to bull**** really.
He's not going to say Baath was **** Iorfa was awful, i need 11 new players in January.
He's not going to wreck players confidence further by saying they're all **** in public

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we need a stronger defence yes?? A better midfield also and yet we have an attacking trio of dicko, Cav and costa that couldn't penetrate an awful Cardiff defence either so do we just require a whole new first team?????........:eek:
Cav and Costa got next to no service from our awful midfield by the sounds of it. If wingers don't have the ball enough in attacking areas then how are they meant to penetrate a defence?

A

AlexWWFC

Lot of over reaction on here, listen to most pre and post match interviews with most managers and they say the same thing its just all to ******** really.
He's not going to say Baath was **** Iorfa was awful, i need 11 new players in January.
He's not going to wreck players confidence further by saying they're all **** in public

No that is true but most managers are well trained in how to speak the truth without offending, we are just used to Jackett.

There are plenty of managers who call a **** performance exactly that... 'we weren't good enough' springs to mind, some of his comments are lies or more worrying he believes it.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems to have aged 10 years already since looking so bright and bushy tailed when he joined us. Of course he needs time. All he has to do is make sure we are not relegated and start again next season. If he can't even achieve that it has to be said he is utterly useless. Like Jackett perhaps the only short term answer is a 5-4-1 defensive backs to the wall formation, booting it high and long to get some 0--0 s or 1-0 results if possible. Anti-football in other words if the players are incapable of stringing passes together and using their intelligence what else can you do. Just can't believe how much these guys get paid every week and yet they are so poor at their trade.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who is the "we" who went after them, mate? It was Mendes who made the choice about who to send from his camp as Jeff said that he did rely on him for advice.
I didn't see the match last night so can't comment about that match despite hearing the commentary and reading the reports. However, from what I know it's clear that we haven't got a coherent squad and parachuting in so many players in August has caused confusion. The addition of Gladon seems to have been down to Thelwell and I guess that there have been inputs from other sources for some of the other recruits.

I still regard Mendes as being part of the current problem rather than the solution.

It would have been Thelwell and Zenga imo that had the discussion about the players Mendes put forward. I just don't see Mendes as the issue. I don't think he has as much influence as some people think, maybe Fosun leaned on him a little to much for players early on, but Thelwell and Zenga should have stood their ground if they weren't happy with the players.

Our recruitment tbf has been pretty poor for 3 decades. Its an area that needs looking at as a priority.

S

Staten Island Wolf

What's he supposed to say. The team lack confidence so he slates them in public?

S

Staten Island Wolf

He seems to have aged 10 years already since looking so bright and bushy tailed when he joined us. Of course he needs time. All he has to do is make sure we are not relegated and start again next season. If he can't even achieve that it has to be said he is utterly useless. Like Jackett perhaps the only short term answer is a 5-4-1 defensive backs to the wall formation, booting it high and long to get some 0--0 s or 1-0 results if possible. Anti-football in other words if the players are incapable of stringing passes together and using their intelligence what else can you do. Just can't believe how much these guys get paid every week and yet they are so poor at their trade.
Totally agree. Jacket got us 14th with dross using these tactics. It beats relegation.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch any Villa post match interview. You'll be as equally baffled.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After last saturdays 4-4 draw I was starting to gain a little confidence in our new manager, however after last nights poor display followed by his inept post match interview I am starting to have serious doubts!

Doom and gloom in the astral household....:(

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After last saturdays 4-4 draw I was starting to gain a little confidence in our new manager, however after last nights poor display followed by his inept post match interview I am starting to have serious doubts!

Doom and gloom in the astral household....:(
I can accept he was 'stonewalling' for reasons already discussed......I'm mainly interested in what he and his coaches can do to plug the gaps with this thrown-together squad until we can choose new players with Fosun's money, when arguably our historical recruitment has been carried out under Morgan's financial policies

M

Mr Wolf

There are plenty of managers who call a **** performance exactly that... 'we weren't good enough' springs to mind, some of his comments are lies or more worrying he believes it.
5 games in I don't think it would help to have a go at the players in public for their performances. Lashing out & getting angry is what fans do, the players know themselves how bad they were but Lambert has to work with them to get it right.

H

Hawkins discuss

Same old story I'm afraid
to Quote a friend "Just because a Pig is born in a stable it doesn't make him a Horse!

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can accept he was 'stonewalling' for reasons already discussed......I'm mainly interested in what he and his coaches can do to plug the gaps with this thrown-together squad until we can choose new players with Fosun's money, when arguably our historical recruitment has been carried out under Morgan's financial policies

I think you have more belief than me in the amount of money FOSUN will be prepared to spend come January - especially after over £14M has already been spent. Time will tell.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No that is true but most managers are well trained in how to speak the truth without offending, we are just used to Jackett.

He has spoke the truth though Alex.He has stated,we are a young team,we need to learn,and we need HELP. He is spot on with that comment for me anyway.Let's see what he does in January.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cav and Costa got next to no service from our awful midfield by the sounds of it. If wingers don't have the ball enough in attacking areas then how are they meant to penetrate a defence?

I'm not slating them just putting the facts of the match out there. We were woeful attacking wise yet again even with our most potent trio up front!! It's not great for us in that respect.

S

ShropshireLad

5 games in I don't think it would help to have a go at the players in public for their performances. Lashing out & getting angry is what fans do, the players know themselves how bad they were but Lambert has to work with them to get it right.
Yes, mate. Someone posted only yesterday how Hunt ripped a shred off Morgan for his comments a few years ago. Belittling them in public does more harm than good.

D

Deleted member 3545

Full back also provide service to the wingers so not just the midfielders fault. The whole Wolves team is rotten to the core.
like ive mentioned out of all the summer signings only two are any good Costa and Cav.

Mr E

Reaction score
I'm sure most were encouraged after our win at QPR and the comeback on Saturday, but now Lambert's 'the new Saunders' for suggesting we haven't been that bad after a poor half of football.

Strangely aggressive reaction to him attempting to spin things in a positive way and restore some confidence.

Back
Top Bottom