Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage OUT

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Last 3 pages I've just read are all massively blown out of proportion.

The way I understand it, Coady acted totally professionally to the end and always only wanted what was best for BOTH him and the club, and if the club thought his actions would hurt them, he was happy to stay.

This ****taking post attributed to either his sister or his wife, depending on who is reporting it... was not by either. Just some other random relation.

Lage wasn't as liked by the players as Nuno at his peak, but it was far, far from the "lost the dressing room" cliché we're now hearing.

I don't know where these stories are coming from, but they just are not true.
Whether he lost the dressing room as such. It certainly didn’t feel like on Saturday they were playing for the manager.

Neves post match comments says everything.

So that alone suggests it wasn’t a happy camp.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whether he lost the dressing room as such. It certainly didn’t feel like on Saturday they were playing for the manager.

Neves post match comments says everything.

So that alone suggests it wasn’t a happy camp.

Oh yeah, absolutely agree for the West Ham game. The "lost the dressing room" allegations I was referring to were in relation to the end of last season... and implications its why Coady wanted out.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I look at central defence. Kilman is quality and Collins has by and large done well, it does get over looked that he’s still young for a centre back and isn’t massively experienced. Behind these 2 Mosquera and Toti are very raw. You can see why we wanted Dawson.

Throw in the situation at centre forward and it does start to look a bit worrying. Rauls injury was nearly 2 years ago and I don’t think it’s unfair to say the club have made a bit of pigs ear of sorting the situation in that time.

Lot of talk from people, myself included, about us having a great squad now but I’m not sure we have in these important areas.

New coach has a tough job for me.
Smack on. We have lots of talented individuals but massive gaping holes and no centralised team spirit .

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How the hell is Coady coming out of this as anything but correct and right??

Abomination of a manager, up there with Solbakken the fraud and Saunders the Clown.

Coady can't play in a back 4 - REALLY. This is a player who has successfully re-trained positions to great effect. He is an England international defender. Seems to be doing just fine in the best defence in the league currently. Coady earned the right to be dropped by playing poorly on the field this season, not unceremoniously dropped for Collins, who has undoubted great potential, but is still young, and a talented but inexperienced Kilman. Our defence IMO has only conceded so few because of how negative we are, not because of the defenders in play.

Coady's family posting stuff. So ****ing what. Scousers aren't stoically silent like Yam Yams can be, and I don't blame him for being unhappy. I don't get how some posters are effectively still "supporting" the manager here, who has just been sacked for being ****, rather than supporting the best captain we have had in decades.

Coady wanted to go - I don't blame him. Absolute break down in trust. Again, Lage has now been sacked as he's lost the dressing room. Selling Coady was a huge huge error. Why would he want to stay where is not wanted? Why show loyalty to a club that showed him little? A chance to live at home all the time, and see his kids? Can't blame a man for that.

Neves isn't half the captain Coady is yet, and being suspended so early is a huge blow.

For me this situation the epitome of Lage's reign. Poorly thought out, and poorly executed. I expect a ton of **** for this post, so do your worst.
On the money mate.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats not particularly classy from her, but i guess we dont know whats happened behind the scenes.

All i can say is we better not accept anything less than 25 million for Coady. He's playing well and thats not an unfair valuation for an English center half in his prime.
I think it's already agreed. I seem to remember it being a £7M loan fees + £12M to make it permanent. Had our pants down, for an England international.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. I do think that the defence has some credit this season. Anyway - we can all agree that hopefully the next man will be able to get us defending and attacking well! Surely that's possible!
No one's arguing that the CB pairing of Kilman & Collins isn't good enough, and until the weekend I wasn't saying the backup of Toti & Mosquera wasn't good enough.

It was Lage that deemed them not good enough by playing Neves in defence. If he didn't think they weren't up to it then he should have tried much harder to retain at least one of the outgoing players in lieu of signing another.

Coady should have been top of the list and even if his playing time would have been sporadic, the point should have been made that he'd be accommodated.

I said during preseason that Coady could have been the most subbed on/off player in the PL.

With the introduction of five subs, shape changing subs should have become the norm, reacting to what's happening on the pitch. If the starting formation looked wrong you could rectify if after 15 minutes, but then Lage never reacted to anything did he?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady was not going to make a difference. I don't like the way it happened but Lage had a right to make the decisions he did, even if his man management skills are poor. Letting all of those defenders go should never have been sanctioned by the board though.

The real problem seemed to be on the training pitch and at matches themselves. Combine that with not being good with people and it'll only end one way.

The club must have been aware and I do look at the board as much as Lage here. I was very surprised when he was kept on because the direction was one way, just as in his previous job.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one's arguing that the CB pairing of Kilman & Collins isn't good enough, and until the weekend I wasn't saying the backup of Toti & Mosquera wasn't good enough.

It was Lage that deemed them not good enough by playing Neves in defence. If he didn't think they weren't up to it then he should have tried much harder to retain at least one of the outgoing players in lieu of signing another.

Coady should have been top of the list and even if his playing time would have been sporadic, the point should have been made that he'd be accommodated.

I said during preseason that Coady could have been the most subbed on/off player in the PL.

With the introduction of five subs, shape changing subs should have become the norm, reacting to what's happening on the pitch. If the starting formation looked wrong you could rectify if after 15 minutes, but then Lage never reacted to anything did he?
I was responding because people were saying, not necessarily that Kilman and Collins aren't good enough, but that Coady should have been first choice. I was just saying that Lage was within his rights not to make him first choice. Once that decision was made, it looks as if there was never any chance that Coady was going to stay. Yes we could have made him stay, and he would have been a very unhappy bit part player, who didn't get on with the manager.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady was not going to make a difference. I don't like the way it happened but Lage had a right to make the decisions he did, even if his man management skills are poor. Letting all of those defenders go should never have been sanctioned by the board though.

The real problem seemed to be on the training pitch and at matches themselves. Combine that with not being good with people and it'll only end one way.

The club must have been aware and I do look at the board as much as Lage here. I was very surprised when he was kept on because the direction was one way, just as in his previous job.
Transfer windows aren’t all done in one go though so probably makes it very difficult.
Ideally we’d probably have kept Saiss, but had to make a decision on him before we knew we’d get offers for coady and boly and they’d want to go. Donk too.
I also bet the club (rightly or wrongly) believe Gomes is better cover than Lage seemed to.
Step by step I can understand letting them all go. Just the timeline of events and players contract situations worked against us a bit.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was responding because people were saying, not necessarily that Kilman and Collins aren't good enough, but that Coady should have been first choice. I was just saying that Lage was within his rights not to make him first choice. Once that decision was made, it looks as if there was never any chance that Coady was going to stay. Yes we could have made him stay, and he would have been a very unhappy bit part player, who didn't get on with the manager.
I think Lage should have been bending over backwards to keep Coady happy. And that doesn't mean he'd have to play every week. Lage's insistence on a rigid system has proven both stupid and detrimental to the squad.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lage should have been bending over backwards to keep Coady happy. And that doesn't mean he'd have to play every week. Lage's insistence on a rigid system has proven both stupid and detrimental to the squad.
If trying to bed in a new back 4 system with a key component of that a new, young, fairly inexperienced player, then it is totally understandable to want a consistent lineup with plenty of practice with those personnel.

I’d say one of the reasons we’re so poor going forward is all the chopping and changing of personnel.

The good function of the new defence is actually probably the only good thing Lage achieved .

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If trying to bed in a new back 4 system with a key component of that a new, young, fairly inexperienced player, then it is totally understandable to want a consistent lineup with plenty of practice with those personnel.

I’d say one of the reasons we’re so poor going forward is all the chopping and changing of personnel.

The good function of the new defence is actually probably the only good thing Lage achieved .
And if suspensions and injuries weren't a thing then perhaps the woefully inadequate squad depth (all Lage's making) would have never been highlighted.

Nuno's squad was just as small, but managed to possess versatility (by design, not accident).

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And if suspensions and injuries weren't a thing then perhaps the woefully inadequate squad depth (all Lage's making) would have never been highlighted.

Nuno's squad was just as small, but managed to possess versatility (by design, not accident).
His mistake was not trusting Gomes.
He could of at least played the lad v Preston to have a look.

I absolutely loved Coady.
However purely as a player I actually don’t see Gomes as a massive downgrade on him; there are some aspects Gomes is actually superior (pace the obvious one) .

To keep coady I believe that either a) he needed to be happy being backup (which apparently wasn’t the case).
Or b) we needed to stick with a back 3 (which I wouldn’t have necessarily been against anyway).

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

However purely as a player I actually don’t see Gomes as a massive downgrade on him; there are some aspects Gomes is actually superior (pace the obvious one) .

To keep coady I believe that either a) he needed to be happy being backup (which apparently wasn’t the case).
Or b) we needed to stick with a back 3 (which I wouldn’t have necessarily been against anyway).
I don't think there was any need for the cold turkey approach to transitioning from a Back three

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Coady is absolutely fine in a back 4. Still not convinced we needed to spend 22 million on a centre half right now, when Tarkowski and Mee were available for nowt.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady is absolutely fine in a back 4. Still not convinced we needed to spend 22 million on a centre half right now, when Tarkowski and Mee were available for nowt.
I was/am always an advocate of coady can play in a 4.
However I believe Collins is a fantastic purchase this summer. And if coady was still here I’d still pick a centre half pairing of Collins & Killman.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How can you be so sure that the “inadequate squad depth” was “all Lage’s making”?

I don’t think there’s many managers/coaches (if any) that would choose to head into a new season so light in the centre back and forward positions.

Do you really think that was his choice?

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you be so sure that the “inadequate squad depth” was “all Lage’s making”?

I don’t think there’s many managers/coaches (if any) that would choose to head into a new season so light in the centre back and forward positions.

Nope I think this is on Jeff and Sellars.

One it was a cost cutting exercise (Jeff) and then a push to bring youth through and fill in the squad places (Sellars).

Plenty to blame Bruno for, small squad isn’t one of them.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No I don't. But it's plain to see Boly and Dendoncker couldn't wait to get away from him. The way that so many relationships with the players turned sour is all on Lage and is a situation of his own making.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was/am always an advocate of coady can play in a 4.
However I believe Collins is a fantastic purchase this summer. And if coady was still here I’d still pick a centre half pairing of Collins & Killman.

Not for this set of three matches, you wouldn't. Was the plan for Collins and Kilman to each play the full 38 match season? Injuries are a fact if life. Where is the injury cover for Collins and Killman? Management basics: 2 players in every position. That we failed to do that in a position we were strong in is very poor management. The whole situation reeks of Bruno's obvious lack of adaptability. His inability to react to the real situation in front of him. So bad at it, he struggled to make a decision to take obviously seriously injured players off - several times. Seen some bad managers, but at adapting during a game, Bruno was just so exceptionally bad. Maybe he just thought Kilman and Collins could play if injured, it seemed to be his attitude.

Though I do think he wasn't the only problem and we do have all sorts of problems to deal with around the club, he was a huge part of the problem. Rather than solve problems, he created whole new sets. Very glad he's gone. Barring appointment of a clown, the team will start improving for sure.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Collins is a massive signing, in my opinion he's got potential to go to the very top and is already a very good centre half, certainly good enough for us. The other two would also be, but both are past their peek, would probably be on higher wages and in general would be uninspiring signings.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had no problem with Bruno getting rid of Coady. It was an (incongruous) piece of decisive management.

I also have no real problems with having Toti and Mosquera as backups. Both young and untested, but both potentially viable.

What I had a colossal problem with was Bruno playing Neves as CB. It was borderline lunacy. Completely removed any point in having any back up CBs.

If he didn't view Toti as Mosquera as first team ready, then why the hell did he sanction the departures of other CBs?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had no problem with Bruno getting rid of Coady. It was an (incongruous) piece of decisive management.

I also have no real problems with having Toti and Mosquera as backups. Both young and untested, but both potentially viable.

What I had a colossal problem with was Bruno playing Neves as CB. It was borderline lunacy. Completely removed any point in having any back up CBs.

If he didn't view Toti as Mosquera as first team ready, then why the hell did he sanction the departures of other CBs?

Agree...and why on earth werent Toti and/or Mosquera send out on loan to help their development?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think it's really weird that not one player has come out and thanked him for his time at wolves. Unless the it tells us everything we need to know.
I don't think it's weird at all. "Thanks boss for the appalling treatment of my friends and for jettisoning a club legend to a rival for a pittance"

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's what most of us feel.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I suppose it may have been the case that Bruno didn’t sanction the departures, or that they fully expected to get the Dawson deal done.

What annoyed me is that I think it’s fine for Bruno to say Gomes isn’t ready to push one of the other out the team; but surely he can get the opportunity to stand in for a couple of games. It ain’t like he’s 16 and never played a competitive game.

Back
Top Bottom