Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage OUT

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sorry i wasn’t clear again! we are so defensive i play little solace on our defensive record
Fair enough. I do think that the defence has some credit this season. Anyway - we can all agree that hopefully the next man will be able to get us defending and attacking well! Surely that's possible!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
We've scored 3 all season.
Haaland and Foden both equaled our goal tally for the season against Man U at the weekend.

Its worth letting that sink in a little for those operating on blind faith who thought everything was going to work out this season, or those who thought Man City didn't ease off on us a couple weeks ago (after playing a CL game mid week, and us going 2-0 and down to 10 men after 30 mins!). Thats what they do to teams when they don't ease off, and they could have scored more!

Not suggesting for a minute we're Man City levels but I'm hoping that if the team are now allowed to play a little more freely we may be able to get the ball in the net a few times over the next 4 games!

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Oh come on, are we seriously suggesting that we should have kept him for his goal threat? Before last season he'd never scored more than one goal in any season. Argue that we shouldn't have let him go, by all means, but please don't try and pretend he'd have solved our striking problems!
He offers passion that may push others to try harder. That a player as limited as Coady can outscore players like Neto, Guedes, Nenes is a joke that is unfortunately true. Coady scores his goals on will power as much as anything. He doesn't possess the silky skills of the Portuguesers but he can still manage to get goals. If only our players had his willpower we would be in a much better place right now.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Athletic article is a fascinating, and troubling, read. They cite multiple anonymous sources (whom I'd presume are either players or staff with access to them), that say that there were numerous bust-ups owing to Lage's “emotional” and “temperamental” manner, and his poor man management skills. This validates the rumours around Lage falling out with Jonny and Raul. It also vindicates the posters on here who suspected Lage had lost the dressing room before the end of last season, now confirmed in writing here.

It seems then that this disharmony and terminal dissatisfaction with the manager would be the worst-kept secret at the club, something you'd think Lage himself and certainly the board would have become aware of. So, why the Hell was this allowed to fester nearly a quarter of the way through this one - all but scuppering any realistic chance of us qualifying for Europe again? Once more, the finger seems to be hovering back towards Jeff Shi, sitting with his thumb up his backside again. When a manager loses a dressing room, he rarely gets it back.

Interesting that Bruno's reign went essentially the same way it did at Benfica. That his lack of variety in training and over-coaching of players led to the them becoming “disengaged” and "muddled". His example shows that sometimes a light touch is better. The turd on the cake was him criticising players for not applauding the travelling fans at West Ham, when he himself stormed straight down the tunnel. The man just comes across as overly emotional, egocentric, proud and unwilling to accept blame for anything. I'm glad to see the back of him.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
A back 10 would not have stopped KDB that day. He was unplayable and single handedly won them the game
Well maybe, or perhaps if the defence hadn't been so deep the midfield would have engaged him before he got close enough to score. Just thought it was odd that you picked a team that (with Haaland) scored 3 playing mostly against 10 men, when they'd scored 5 a few months before against a back 5 with Coady at its heart. Anyway he's gone, we need to move on.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well presumably there was a loan fee, plus a transfer fee if/when it becomes permanent.
Of course, but the damage done by not having him in the squad is greater than any loan fee we will have got IMO.

How happy do you think Neves is at the whole CH situation? Speculation, but can you imagine if that damages his world cup hopes.

It's just one small shambles in a great big **** show.

Sooner we move on from this era the better

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see Coady wanting out of the club. My guess (and it is a complete guess) is that Lage didn’t like his personality.

I suspect that Coady had the backing of the players over Lage. Once Lage made the decision to go to a back 2, he didn’t want Coady around the squad so he got rid of someone who could potentially undermine him.

A friend of a friend is a physio at the club and said Lage was a very prickly character.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course, but the damage done by not having him in the squad is greater than any loan fee we will have got IMO.

Well that's a completely different point.

I keep seeing people on here talking like we didn't get a loan fee for Coady, I'd normally put it down to a lack of awareness on how modern loans work, but with Trincao's well publicised £5m fee, people should know better, so I think often it's just out of a desire to catasrophise and make out that every aspect of everything to do with Wolves is bad.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last 3 pages I've just read are all massively blown out of proportion.

The way I understand it, Coady acted totally professionally to the end and always only wanted what was best for BOTH him and the club, and if the club thought his actions would hurt them, he was happy to stay.

This ****taking post attributed to either his sister or his wife, depending on who is reporting it... was not by either. Just some other random relation.

Lage wasn't as liked by the players as Nuno at his peak, but it was far, far from the "lost the dressing room" cliché we're now hearing.

I don't know where these stories are coming from, but they just are not true.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch to end for Troy Deeney on Coady...

I didnt see Coady make much of a difference when we went 7 games without a win at the end of last season, losing 5 and surrendering completely at home to Brighton.
Its like some people have somehow suddenly forgotten how big a part he was of a very poor performing Wolves side last season.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. I do think that the defence has some credit this season. Anyway - we can all agree that hopefully the next man will be able to get us defending and attacking well! Surely that's possible!
we don’t ask for much!!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An irony of Lage is that he repeatedly commented about wanting a big squad, but it then seems he couldn’t manage players who weren’t in the first 11.
If coady wanted to go then I understand letting him go, however the ideal would have been for the manager to have motivated him to be willing to bide his time and be backup until an opportunity arose.
Likewise a manager persuading mgw to sign a contract would have been nice...

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Athletic article is a fascinating, and troubling, read. They cite multiple anonymous sources (whom I'd presume are either players or staff with access to them), that say that there were numerous bust-ups owing to Lage's “emotional” and “temperamental” manner, and his poor man management skills. This validates the rumours around Lage falling out with Jonny and Raul. It also vindicates the posters on here who suspected Lage had lost the dressing room before the end of last season, now confirmed in writing here.

It seems then that this disharmony and terminal dissatisfaction with the manager would be the worst-kept secret at the club, something you'd think Lage himself and certainly the board would have become aware of. So, why the Hell was this allowed to fester nearly a quarter of the way through this one - all but scuppering any realistic chance of us qualifying for Europe again? Once more, the finger seems to be hovering back towards Jeff Shi, sitting with his thumb up his backside again. When a manager loses a dressing room, he rarely gets it back.

Interesting that Bruno's reign went essentially the same way it did at Benfica. That his lack of variety in training and over-coaching of players led to the them becoming “disengaged” and "muddled". His example shows that sometimes a light touch is better. The turd on the cake was him criticising players for not applauding the travelling fans at West Ham, when he himself stormed straight down the tunnel. The man just comes across as overly emotional, egocentric, proud and unwilling to accept blame for anything. I'm glad to see the back of him.

Well said. Totally agree. Thank God he and his coaches have gone but it should have been far sooner than this.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really like the narrative that if we had Coady we'd be fine because we have the exact same problems now as we had with Coady playing every week in the second half of last season.

However, I said at the time that to let him leave on loan was absolute lunacy, especially after letting Saiss go. We then compounded the problem at the end of the window by letting Boly and Donck go and not bringing any replacement in. The CB situation is self-inflicted and sits squarely on the shoulders of Jeff Shi and Scott Sellars.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting insight from a player's perspective. Deeney seems to rate Coady.
Pretty sure they're mates. Had done charity things with each other in the Midlands and would have built a relationship from the captains meetings.

It's a lazy view.

Our defence isn't the issue. We have a good record and Collins is perfectly fine. Also, the leadership thing seems an easy excuse. I'd have a team that lacks leaders as one that gets battered. That hasn't happened either.

It's all conveniently come up at the right time with Coady scoring at the weekend and Everton doing quite well.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno also, lost the dressing room.
The way these players have applied themselves since January has been an absolute disgrace and they've taken the fans for mugs the entire time. There's no justification for it - as fans the minimum we expect is that the players at least try.

They all need to ****ing grow up.
With the exception of Hwang the players do seem to have gotten a very easy ride on here despite 2 and half years of pretty poor football.
I get the reasons why but I’m certainly expecting a reaction over the next few weeks.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He offers passion that may push others to try harder. That a player as limited as Coady can outscore players like Neto, Guedes, Nenes is a joke that is unfortunately true. Coady scores his goals on will power as much as anything. He doesn't possess the silky skills of the Portuguesers but he can still manage to get goals. If only our players had his willpower we would be in a much better place right now.
Are you serious? Outscore Neto, Guedes and Nunes, based on the fact that he's scored one this season, and our whole squad can't score due to an incompetent coach?! "He can still manage to get goals" - I think it's three in four seasons before last year! Didn't he have any willpower until then?

I know this is going well off topic now, but I really don't know what you're on.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last 3 pages I've just read are all massively blown out of proportion.

The way I understand it, Coady acted totally professionally to the end and always only wanted what was best for BOTH him and the club, and if the club thought his actions would hurt them, he was happy to stay.

This ****taking post attributed to either his sister or his wife, depending on who is reporting it... was not by either. Just some other random relation.

Lage wasn't as liked by the players as Nuno at his peak, but it was far, far from the "lost the dressing room" cliché we're now hearing.

I don't know where these stories are coming from, but they just are not true.
The way it played out on the pitch gives credence to the stories. If that wasn't a lost dressing room, I don't know what is.

I don't doubt that you get information from inside the club, that doesn't mean it's always right.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really like the narrative that if we had Coady we'd be fine because we have the exact same problems now as we had with Coady playing every week in the second half of last season.

However, I said at the time that to let him leave on loan was absolute lunacy, especially after letting Saiss go. We then compounded the problem at the end of the window by letting Boly and Donck go and not bringing any replacement in. The CB situation is self-inflicted and sits squarely on the shoulders of Jeff Shi and Scott Sellars.
I look at central defence. Kilman is quality and Collins has by and large done well, it does get over looked that he’s still young for a centre back and isn’t massively experienced. Behind these 2 Mosquera and Toti are very raw. You can see why we wanted Dawson.

Throw in the situation at centre forward and it does start to look a bit worrying. Rauls injury was nearly 2 years ago and I don’t think it’s unfair to say the club have made a bit of pigs ear of sorting the situation in that time.

Lot of talk from people, myself included, about us having a great squad now but I’m not sure we have in these important areas.

New coach has a tough job for me.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I look at central defence. Kilman is quality and Collins has by and large done well, it does get over looked that he’s still young for a centre back and isn’t massively experienced. Behind these 2 Mosquera and Toti are very raw. You can see why we wanted Dawson.

Throw in the situation at centre forward and it does start to look a bit worrying. Rauls injury was nearly 2 years ago and I don’t think it’s unfair to say the club have made a bit of pigs ear of sorting the situation in that time.

Lot of talk from people, myself included, about us having a great squad now but I’m not sure we have in these important areas.

New coach has a tough job for me.
I agree. The summer was masked by a couple of big-name signings. I think they will all prove to be good signings but we've left ourselves in an awkward and completely avoidable situation by taking unnecessary risks by letting so many players go. Fabio shouldn't have been let go until we had a striker in and Coady shouldn't have been let go until we had a defender in (a mistake repeated with Boly and arguably Donck, too).

To let Boly AND Donck leave after the Dawson deal fell through was just reckless and Jeff Shi/Scott Sellars has a lot to answer for in that regard.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I agree. The summer was masked by a couple of big-name signings. I think they will all prove to be good signings but we've left ourselves in an awkward and completely avoidable situation by taking unnecessary risks by letting so many players go. Fabio shouldn't have been let go until we had a striker in and Coady shouldn't have been let go until we had a defender in (a mistake repeated with Boly and arguably Donck, too).

To let Boly AND Donck leave after the Dawson deal fell through was just reckless and Jeff Shi/Scott Sellars has a lot to answer for in that regard.
I don’t blame lage for that he wanted donk to stay we should have vetoed that transfer as soon as we knew about Dawson. Boly put us in a difficult situation by going awol. We should have had a striker before agreeing the loan for Fabio that again is down to decisions made by Sellars and shi presumably

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Conor is/was ur captain and our leader. Best skipper since Mike Bailey and we’ve had a few since then. He has limitations I know, but his leadership skills cannot be questioned and that is vitally important both on and off the pitch.

Captain of Everton while Pickford has been injured and probably on the plane for the World Cup.

I would put him straight back in our defence tomorrow. A back 3 of Kilman, Coady and Collins would be ok by me. Just to say I will never understand why we dispensed with Conor, Saiss, Boly, Marcal and the versatile Donk who can play in central defence as well. Baffling!

All about opinions I know and that’s mine.
Your bit about Coady being on the plane to the world, so will the luggage and that won’t get any minutes either.

Reaction score
Before we hang Conor out to dry for someone else's misjudged tweet, can we establish who this is from?

She's definitely not his wife and as far as I know he doesn't have a sister? Could be sister-in-law? I have no idea, nor do I really think it says anything about him, except that he clearly had more antipathy to Lage than was obvious at the time he was loaned out.
She’s his half-sister. He has a half-brother as well.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Are you serious? Outscore Neto, Guedes and Nunes, based on the fact that he's scored one this season, and our whole squad can't score due to an incompetent coach?! "He can still manage to get goals" - I think it's three in four seasons before last year! Didn't he have any willpower until then?

I know this is going well off topic now, but I really don't know what you're on.
How many has Coady scored? How many have our players scored Podence aside?
It's not all down to the coach, though he hasn't helped.
It's not his job to score goals by the way. Last season, he was allowed to join in the attack whereby Nuno banned him. He obviously cared enough to want to help the team who weren't scoring. He could have just stayed in defence and not bothered even trying and no one would have blamed him, but he did.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many has Coady scored? How many have our players scored Podence aside?
It's not all down to the coach, though he hasn't helped.
It's not his job to score goals by the way. Last season, he was allowed to join in the attack whereby Nuno banned him. He obviously cared enough to want to help the team who weren't scoring. He could have just stayed in defence and not bothered even trying and no one would have blamed him, but he did.
I never said it's his job to score goals. I just commented along the lines that we're not missing him defensively. You seem to be making the bizarre argument that he's a better goalscorer than our strikers.

We will see how much our lack of goals has been down to the coach when we see how the new one does.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I never said it's his job to score goals. I just commented along the lines that we're not missing him defensively. You seem to be making the bizarre argument that he's a better goalscorer than our strikers.

We will see how much our lack of goals has been down to the coach when we see how the new one does.
I never said he was a better goal scorer just that right now he is doing better than all bar one.
BTW, just to be clear, I'm not out to prove anything about our players abilities and the poor coaching, just stating facts. Oddly enough I want our players to score goals and to win matches, believe it or not. Even to score more goals than Coady does this season.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love it, but just don’t see it, sadly.
He will want a champions league club, I suspect
Other than Real and PSG, who's going to sack a coach that has got them into the UCL? Those vacancies are extremely rare.
He'll be after a club that has the potential to get UCL. I'm not saying in 12, 24 or 36 months but we have the potential...and he'd be idolised.
I agree in that I don't think we are what he's probably looking for but, I also think he'd be making an error if he didn't at least consider us as an option.

Back
Top Bottom