Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kilman Appreciation

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Effortless again today, makes it all look so easy. Very rarely makes a mistake, this season has just been a masterclass thus far.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Elite level player.

Only a matter of time until England calls.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The level of performance week in week out is getting to unbelievable levels, The worry I have is that the top top Teams will have noticed this and I mean Top 4 and European giants, whats his value at the moment 30/40 million? and he is still learning, plus as an English player he will have a premium, just changed my mind has to be a minimum of £40 million now.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was about 25/1 a few weeks ago to make the England World Cup squad now hes 7/1 which is still decent value as I think he will be in the next squads.

No English defender is better than him on current form, he is outstanding, if we had spent 30 million on him he would still feel like value for money.

Wolf In Essex

Reaction score
The level of performance week in week out is getting to unbelievable levels, The worry I have is that the top top Teams will have noticed this and I mean Top 4 and European giants, whats his value at the moment 30/40 million? and he is still learning, plus as an English player he will have a premium, just changed my mind has to be a minimum of £40 million now.
Being English and going by what Ben White went for, he's got to be worth £70-£80 million minimum.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This boy just gets better and better. Someone used the word 'imperious' and that describes him perfectly. I honestly think he is better than any of the current England centre backs and can only see him getting better. If he is not in the next England squad Southgate should be sacked for sheer incompetence.

Expect some big bids for him in the summer as people in football finally wake up to his ability. He is already a £50m player imv - minimum.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he doesnt make the next England side in this form and Mings does then Southgate should get his clown gear on!

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think there's any more words to describe him.Maybe Colossus ay bin used. :tonguewink: well done max lad.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant again today.

He’s actually starting to develop a bit of an aura about him in the same way as some of the real top defenders in this league.
I have to say Tring, that bar Van Dyke, I am struggling to think of better, or equal.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His positioning is good, he's good in the air, and he looks unhurried on the ball. I was (honestly) one of those that thought he'd be a good player for us but never this good. Imperious is about right, with Sa, Coady and Neves he always got to play. I know a lot don't care, which is fine, but for me it's extra special that he's English and cost nowt.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Without trying to sound dramatic, I think he could become one of the best centre backs in world football, maybe it’s the rum talking..

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And too think Nuno wanted to sell him to Barnsley for a pint & pack of crisps.

Unbelievable how he has progressed this season I can't ever recall a player improving so rapidly in 6 months.

Easily one of the best defenders in the league ATM

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top performances. If the quality was already there or Lage has taken the best of him I don't know, but with Saiss in the back 3 with Kilman and Coady I don't understand why so many were calling for new signings to replace them.
The quality was definitely there, all Lage's done is unleash him: see all of his performances when played in position.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Fantastic again today. Im one of these fans I love watching attacking play and not so much defending, but I actually love watching Kilman defend. It’s so good to watch.

el gringo

Reaction score
Brilliant again today.

He’s actually starting to develop a bit of an aura about him in the same way as some of the real top defenders in this league.
I agree - I mentioned something similar on the commentary thread, saying that he now seems like a senior player - I think it was his comportment/aura that I was responding to (and the fact that there was a debutant center back). He takes responsibility and is quietly, efficiently confident and effective.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The quality was definitely there, all Lage's done is unleash him: see all of his performances when played in position.

Max did mention the positive influence of our sports psychologist, Kate Ludlum, recently. Used to work with Team GB in the Olympics and presumably appointed as part of Lage's team. Perhaps she's having a good influence with some of the others, too? Mentality and attitude has been top notch this season. Players who looked burnt out most of last season have had a new lease of life this season!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many things to be positive about this season. Kilman's emergence from Nuno's shadows is for me the main one. Lage seems to be able to bring players up a level or 3, as well as Kilman, Coady is a different player, Saiss has moved up a level and he's got Moutinho playing every minute of every Prem game and now playing like a 25 year old. This really could be some season.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a brilliant brilliant defender. I'm a harsh judge but he's just so composed.

Also - and this is perhaps a particular nuance of what I like - he always wants the ball. He always wants to break forward. I love that confidence in a player. He will play for England
He’s looking more and more like what John Stones was supposed to be when he grew up.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic again today. Im one of these fans I love watching attacking play and not so much defending, but I actually love watching Kilman defend. It’s so good to watch.
Are you sure that it's just his defending that you're watching? I have heard from a number of females that he is rather easy on the eye. I wouldn't know.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think there is any doubt he is our best defender and have to wonder why Nuno kept benching him last season.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And too think Nuno wanted to sell him to Barnsley for a pint & pack of crisps.

Unbelievable how he has progressed this season I can't ever recall a player improving so rapidly in 6 months.

Easily one of the best defenders in the league ATM

Thats nonsense. A loan iirc was talked about at one point, and then i think it was Sheffield United wanted him at the start of this season but it was turned down. Nobody has ever tried to sell him as far as i can remember. Spiers is the only one remotely credible with any story about that and i think even he said it was only a loan.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope this comes across the way it’s meant, but since his dad passed away not too long ago, he seems to have just gone on to a different level. Would have been so easy to go the other way at that point, at such a young age.

Doing him, and himself, very proud right now. Imperious.

Now he’s had the MOTD highlights reel, expecting people to suddenly take note.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If all our Defenders were 100% fully fit, who would be the starting 3/5?
Hoever
Semedo
AIT
Otto
Marcal
Boly
Coady
Mosquera
Saiss
Kilman
Gomes
Sanderson

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever
Semedo
AIT
Otto
Marcal
Boly
Coady
Mosquera
Saiss
Kilman
Gomes
Sanderson

SeMedo
Kilman
Coady
Saiss
Ait nouri

The two wing backs would keep Jonny out the side at the moment. Nearly 3 assists for ait nouri yesterday if kilman header went in

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many things to be positive about this season. Kilman's emergence from Nuno's shadows is for me the main one. Lage seems to be able to bring players up a level or 3, as well as Kilman, Coady is a different player, Saiss has moved up a level and he's got Moutinho playing every minute of every Prem game and now playing like a 25 year old. This really could be some season.
Indeed. Thought Kilman was a standout yesterday, so calm and assured on the ball, and rarely makes a bad pass. Great that Micah Richards picked up on him yesterday. I think we can beat anybody in the PL now, apart from maybe City, and even that remains to be seen.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever
Semedo
AIT
Otto
Marcal
Boly
Coady
Mosquera
Saiss
Kilman
Gomes
Sanderson
Back 3 picks itself still, considering the number of solid performances they’ve put in.
I think it’s Jonny that has far more of a fight to get his shirt back than anyone would ever have imagined.
It does bode well for the future though, especially if manage to sneak into Europe, as we’d actually have enough options for rotation. At the back anyway.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can imagine that this afternoon he was thinking 'Yeah, just keep sending runners this way....'
It surprised me how they seemed to keep attacking down the left rather than testing Toti a bit more. Especially considering it meant they kept bouncing off Kilman.

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a class act. He has that cool and calm aura about him that real top defenders have. What a gem we’ve found here, brilliant. Can’t want to see him in an England shirt.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Max is absolutely brilliant. When teams break on us on his side I have absolutely no worries at all.

The only mistake he’s made for us was against Ivan Toney for their second (?) goal.

I’m not worried yet but I could see Chelsea or Spuds looking at him soon.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Max is absolutely brilliant. When teams break on us on his side I have absolutely no worries at all.

The only mistake he’s made for us was against Ivan Toney for their second (?) goal.

I’m not worried yet but I could see Chelsea or Spuds looking at him soon.
He has made more mistakes than that, but they havent cost us a goal. The difference this season to last is just this: as soon as Max had made that slip against Brentford he would have been dropped under Nuno. This season he wasn't. That may be because Lage liked him, or because he didnt have much choice but to play him given our squad situation. I maintain that Kilman was an excellent player last season too, Nuno just didnt stick with him. I think the same is true of Vitinha and one or two others. You have to show some faith.

On a separate note Lage also seems to consistently favour experience. As an example, yesterday he apparently considered Cundle to replace Neves, but decided to go with Gomes. I think that was the right decision but I wish he would start taking Moutinho off in games when he gets tired. That free kick that Southampton scored was from a free kick conceded by Moutinho in exactly the fashion he often does when he is tiring. Lunging at things, dragging people down often in the wrong areas. Cundle is a very similar player and Lage says he rates him - then at some point he needs to show it. My feeling is he wont until he has to, but if he did he might surprise everyone in the we need to spend big on a midfielder camp (at least in this window). If we start scoring a few goals so we have a cushion in games he may give him a chance. I hope so. There has been a lot of criticism of Jeff on the transfer window thread but mostly, I think he has us on the right track.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has made more mistakes than that, but they havent cost us a goal. The difference this season to last is just this: as soon as Max had made that slip against Brentford he would have been dropped under Nuno. This season he wasn't. That may be because Lage liked him, or because he didnt have much choice but to play him given our squad situation. I maintain that Kilman was an excellent player last season too, Nuno just didnt stick with him. I think the same is true of Vitinha and one or two others. You have to show some faith.

On a separate note Lage also seems to consistently favour experience. As an example, yesterday he apparently considered Cundle to replace Neves, but decided to go with Gomes. I think that was the right decision but I wish he would start taking Moutinho off in games when he gets tired. That free kick that Southampton scored was from a free kick conceded by Moutinho in exactly the fashion he often does when he is tiring. Lunging at things, dragging people down often in the wrong areas. Cundle is a very similar player and Lage says he rates him - then at some point he needs to show it. My feeling is he wont until he has to, but if he did he might surprise everyone in the we need to spend big on a midfielder camp (at least in this window). If we start scoring a few goals so we have a cushion in games he may give him a chance. I hope so. There has been a lot of criticism of Jeff on the transfer window thread but mostly, I think he has us on the right track.
Fair point about Kilmans mistakes. He has only made one glaring error was my point.

Agree with the experience favouring but that’s a lot of managers. A lot of our games are tight so I can see why he goes for experience in the midfield areas. It was the right decision yesterday as I would say it’s easier to play in our back 3 if you’re young than it is to play in a 2 man midfield. Cundle could do with more minutes but, like you say, we need a cushion in games. Fabio seems to have earned Bruno’s trust so I’m certain Cundle can too.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point about Kilmans mistakes. He has only made one glaring error was my point.

Agree with the experience favouring but that’s a lot of managers. A lot of our games are tight so I can see why he goes for experience in the midfield areas. It was the right decision yesterday as I would say it’s easier to play in our back 3 if you’re young than it is to play in a 2 man midfield. Cundle could do with more minutes but, like you say, we need a cushion in games. Fabio seems to have earned Bruno’s trust so I’m certain Cundle can too.
Quite. Our MF was already weakened with Donk for Neves, would you really want a kid next to Donk, having responsibility of being the only real passer of the ball in midfield than a knackered Moutinho?
Good comparison with Fabio.

Reactions: Ned
Back
Top Bottom