Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

John McGinn

Could John McGinn do a job for us?

• Total voters
T

Torcher

So now your saying villa are above those clubs mentioned?
You stated earlier Norwich were not far behind wolves?

No I didn't, I said that Norwich's performance last season was far of Wolves' level the season before, I've no idea how they're going to perform next season, I'm certainly not expecting them to finish seventh.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Okay fair enough you might be able to go and take away the best players from clubs like Sheffield United, Norwich and Bournemouth, presuming that they're not also wanted by a top six club. But your not in a position to go and get who you want from clubs beyond those teams. And sorry it's nothing to do with thinking that Villa are massive, but Wolves aren't in a position to just swoop in and take Villa's better players.

I'm not sure why people are taking this so bad, it's not really a comment on Wolves as such it's a comment on the nature of the Premier League, because of the TV revenue, all clubs have money, so unless you're Man City level rich you don't really have an advantage over other clubs financially. For Wolves to be a position to start being able to cherry pick other Premier leagues best players, then Champions league qualification is going to have to be achieved, and who knows maybe that might happen in the coming years.

So we can cherry pick Porto's best prospect, the Portugal national team keeper and Mexico's best striker but players from palace, Watford and newly promoted villa couldn't be swayed ...

if we offered the money Villa would want for John McGinn I'm pretty sure he'd at least consider it.

T

Torcher

So we can cherry pick Porto's best prospect, the Portugal national team keeper and Mexico's best striker but players from palace, Watford and newly promoted villa couldn't be swayed ...

if we offered the money Villa would want for John McGinn I'm pretty sure he'd at least consider it.

You mean Porto's best prospect who wasn't getting in their side, Mexico's best player who wasn't getting in Benfica's side, yes they were and are fantastic signings, but it's different from taking a player from a Premier league who's happy where he is, and the club doesn't want to sell him. It's all a moot point anyway, because for the most part you're much better off going for the players like the ones you mention, than the better players of most Premier league clubs.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And what do you get when you have a team of top players who also happen to be willing grafters?

Man. City that's what. :p

Soon to be joined in the top 4 by....

WWFC:)
You’re right. The essence of my post was graft alone is not enough.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No far from it, as I said it's only really the top six who can take other Premier league clubs' better players.

While I understand your point, I think that’s a simplification. When City started buying big name players, they were not a top six club. Money and ambition made them competitive in transfer market for top players, even if they would probably have lost out to teams like Utd in a competitive bid. 10 years later, a similar effect has already allowed Wolves to secure players beyond their league position or recent history. After finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe, that effect will be magnified. So, could we attract a top player from a top six PL club? No, not yet I think. Could we attract a top player from a lower PL side? Yes, I think we could.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you missed the point, the Mixer known as Torcher is supposedly a Villa fan despite spending his time posting on here rather allegedly than the prime Villa forum.

Not convinced he is, or at least from what he's said, as he's not exactly bad mouthing our club.

Anyway, whatever there's a Europa Cup final to watch.

D

Deleted member 3518

Not convinced he is, or at least from what he's said, as he's not exactly bad mouthing our club.

Anyway, whatever there's a Europa Cup final to watch.

So why he posting on a Wolves forum and not a Villa forum?

T

Torcher

While I understand your point, I think that’s a simplification. When City started buying big name players, they were not a top six club. Money and ambition made them competitive in transfer market for top players, even if they would probably have lost out to teams like Utd in a competitive bid. 10 years later, a similar effect has already allowed Wolves to secure players beyond their league position or recent history. After finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe, that effect will be magnified. So, could we attract a top player from a top six PL club? No, not yet I think. Could we attract a top player from a lower PL side? Yes, I think we could.

The only thing is I don't think Wolves and Fosun are quite on the level that Man City are with their takeover, even if you took away FFP, I don't think Fosun would then suddenly go out and start signing players like Neymar and Mbappe, which is pretty much the equivalent to what Man City did when they signed Robinho. It would be interesting to see a list of each club and their best player, and see which ones Wolves could sign because of being able to make them an offer that they can't refuse. I was thinking only recently what a good signing Maddison would be for Wolves, but Wolves probably aren't in a position to make that happen (and neither are most other Premier league sides).

Again it's not really a comment on Wolves but more of a comment on the way that money has obscured the Premier league, using Maddison as an example again, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Wolves would probably have a better chance of signing someone like Felix from Benfica than Maddison from Leicester, despite Felix actually being the higher rated and more in demand.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing is I don't think Wolves and Fosun are quite on the level that Man City are with their takeover, even if you took away FFP, I don't think Fosun would then suddenly go out and start signing players like Neymar and Mbappe, which is pretty much the equivalent to what Man City did when they signed Robinho. It would be interesting to see a list of each club and their best player, and see which ones Wolves could sign because of being able to make them an offer that they can't refuse. I was thinking only recently what a good signing Maddison would be for Wolves, but Wolves probably aren't in a position to make that happen (and neither are most other Premier league sides).

Again it's not really a comment on Wolves but more of a comment on the way that money has obscured the Premier league, using Maddison as an example again, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Wolves would probably have a better chance of signing someone like Felix from Benfica than Maddison from Leicester, despite Felix actually being the higher rated and more in demand.

I’m not entirely disagreeing with your underlying point, but I think Wolves would be more likely to go for Felix than Maddison in that comparison as they would see it as a better value acquisition.

I think it’s hard to compare Fosun’s strategy at Wolves to that of City or Chelsea, since they do have to operate within FFP. If FFP were not a factor, I suspect Wolves (and others) would go after even bigger signings as they would see it as sensible investment to accelerate the growth of the club. Jeff said when they were looking at purchasing a club that they looked at clubs like Utd, but went for Wolves because they can grow their investment better there. What that says is that spending a billion or two on a football club is well within Fosun’s means and interests if they believe it makes financial sense.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You mean Porto's best prospect who wasn't getting in their side, Mexico's best player who wasn't getting in Benfica's side, yes they were and are fantastic signings, but it's different from taking a player from a Premier league who's happy where he is, and the club doesn't want to sell him. It's all a moot point anyway, because for the most part you're much better off going for the players like the ones you mention, than the better players of most Premier league clubs.
You need a dose of reality before you start questioning Wolves ability to attract top players. Villa won’t be signing players of the ilk of Neves, Boly, Jota, Moutinho, Patricio, Jimenez and Dendoncker this summer and you haven’t got a manager anywhere near Nuno’s class. Wolves opted not to spew millions on household premier league names & instead looked for value and attracted better class European prospects at a fraction of the cost. To be honest Villa’s infrastructure and recruitment is light years behind Wolves. If your lucky you will probably go about it in the same way as Fulham who learnt high fees does not guarantee quality on the pitch.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So which players from the 3 relegated sides, are villa interested in?
I'm sure Bamba might be tempted at 70k a week

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Mila Kunis wants Lupo and her to have a month long ****-fest and Lupo is close to agreeing terms.

Thought I'd put that in just in case any 'news' websites might pick it up and quote it from here.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know we all love to hate torcher but he's pretty much right.

Man City were absolutely throwing cash at anything to get into the big time. That meant offering to double or treble the wages of the likes of Milner and Barry to nick them from other premier league clubs.

Two things. The premier league has moved on and everyone is a little richer. Clubs can easily resist bids from perceived rivals.

Man City's strategy was not exactly shrewd. Everything about wolves business under Fosun could be described as shrewd.

The only recent examples I can think of is at Everton.....who had to pay £50m for the pair of Richarlison and Sigurdsson. Staggering figures even in today's money.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mila Kunis wants Lupo and her to have a month long ****-fest and Lupo is close to agreeing terms.

Thought I'd put that in just in case any 'news' websites might pick it up and quote it from here.
I knew it!
What a bitch. Now I know why she didn't answer my calls.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay fair enough you might be able to go and take away the best players from clubs like Sheffield United, Norwich and Bournemouth, presuming that they're not also wanted by a top six club. But your not in a position to go and get who you want from clubs beyond those teams. And sorry it's nothing to do with thinking that Villa are massive, but Wolves aren't in a position to just swoop in and take Villa's better players.

I'm not sure why people are taking this so bad, it's not really a comment on Wolves as such it's a comment on the nature of the Premier League, because of the TV revenue, all clubs have money, so unless you're Man City level rich you don't really have an advantage over other clubs financially. For Wolves to be a position to start being able to cherry pick other Premier leagues best players, then Champions league qualification is going to have to be achieved, and who knows maybe that might happen in the coming years.

You don't have any better players, there isn't a single Villa player I would take

Back
Top Bottom