Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Shi Out

Should Jeff Shi Go?

• Yes

Votes: 368 65.4%
  • No

Votes: 195 34.6%

• Total voters

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know what is worse, the original post or the 50% or so that think Jeff should be sacked. Unbelievable, Jeff is chairman of a major sporting subdivision of a multi-billion corporation that has a reputation for ruthlessness.

We are the 7th top spenders over the last five years. We have seen some fantastic football, but injuries to key players like Jiminez, Jota, Neto, Sasha, Jonny etc have stalled our progress.

To say Jeff is not capable to run a Premier league club is lunacy, he has been doing it for the last five years. It's just not like championship manager is it. This is a complex multi-million £ business with complex rules, egos, agents, and incredible competion for everything from players to youth players. Jeff does just fine.
Love this.

R

reanswolf

People have short memories.

MOXEY kept us afloat and debt free would be ideal for clubs working within FFP.

Jeff has and fair play bankrolled us to the verge of breaking FFP - the same situation people want Everton docking points for?

Which one do we want sensible moxeyfied strategy?? Or someone who just listens to Mendes and almost putting us in a chaotic position…

We can’t have our cake and eat it.

People always overreact we are Wolves fans. Worst post ever read was someone saying the likes of Batth and co was a case for euthanasia. Had me in stitches

MOXEY wasn’t all that bad. He just wouldn’t spend what we didn’t have and that’s it. Leech or not anyone would have given themselves decent pay in his position. Jez has made enough to retire on and rightly so he’s a good businessman
Not true.

He was a glorified bank manager who was very handsomely paid. 6th highest in premiership.

He had no idea, other than balancing the books, of how to run a football club successfully or to communicate with the fan base.

The arguments for and against have been done to death and whilst things were certainly not all his fault he made fundamental strategic decisions which wrecked us. He sold key 3 players on the eve of a new season which brought money in but led to incredible instability and relegation to the 3rd tier.

He bragged about being better than Albion and that there was a correlation between wages and league position, but then proceeded to pay the 3rd lowest wage levels on the division, which led to relegation for us and Albion staying up. The Swiss Ramble was quite critical of his financial stewardship in the Premier League.

He wasn’t a financial genius, he was just a book balancing bank manager who did anything to achieve that at the expense of the football team.

Don’t get me started on his season ticket prices despite dire football and relegations, and his patronising communication to fans.

I respect a lot of what you say buddy, but this is one of your lowest points in my eyes.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you're going nowhere Jeff, but **** me, the last few years under you have been laughable.

Hope your bosses see the funny side at how you have spunked 100's of their millions up the wall.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you're going nowhere Jeff, but **** me, the last few years under you have been laughable.

Hope your bosses see the funny side at how you have spunked 100's of their millions up the wall.
Reckon he's the only one having a laugh, picture him smirking taking the ****, Moxey mark 2.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lopetegui goes what are we left with , Shi and Matt Hobbs .
Shi has been here 7 years and there is no strong football structure that could avoid another Zenga or Lage .No structure to be passed on to another CEO
We have no money and a relegation quality team . Due to repeated mistakes
Nuno was Mendes best mate and Lopetegui was Guo's first choice.
Shi appears absolutely useless at his job

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s taken us from a club on the verge of potential great things to fighting relegation due to numerous poor decisions! Reckon he needed Guo to convince JL so can’t even claim credit for that. He needs to go!
Not true. He's taken us from a low Championship team to 7th, 10th and 13th as well as Europe and but for Deaddoncker putting his foot where he shouldn't, an FA Cup final. I know we always need a scapegoat in these parts but he's also provided money for coach after coach to improve the team. Jeff isn't the problem.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Not true. He's taken us from a low Championship team to 7th, 10th and 13th as well as Europe and but for Deaddoncker putting his foot where he shouldn't, an FA Cup final. I know we always need a scapegoat in these parts but he's also provided money for coach after coach to improve the team. Jeff isn't the problem.
Yes there is some very selective use of history

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think he’s the problem.. think we’ve lacked strong leadership on what and who to recruit for a while. Ever since Nuno decided he wanted to change our system at end of 19/20 season..

Up until that point.. he and Mendes had been pretty faultless really. Hoping JL knows what he wants and we can correct what’s been happening.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think he’s the problem.. think we’ve lacked strong leadership on what and who to recruit for a while. Ever since Nuno decided he wanted to change our system at end of 19/20 season..

Up until that point.. he and Mendes had been pretty faultless really. Hoping JL knows what he wants and we can correct what’s been happening.
The problem is, what JL wants and what we can afford. There does seem to be a gap in the understanding which is a little odd given the January window and what must have been discussed when recruiting him. Some fans think there is an endless supply of money to enable us to compete with clubs throwing 70M plus at one player. Reality is that we cannot do that.

Further, playing style has been a problem since the last Nuno year. We had definite ideas on that with Nuno but seem to have appointed coaches who have tweaked things but not set a real tone of what they want to see. Bruno's team played brilliantly for the first few games of his reign but the goals didn't come. He then had to get pragmatic and get points on the board.

This is how it goes when you appoint a new coach. Sometime it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Same with player recruitment. Jeff has enabled our club to move forward and tried some ideas out. It's a really important Summer for all our footballing staff now and above all, there needs to be a real leader with backing coming forward. Jeff /Fosun have given the playing staff some of the tools they need, let's hope they can find a way to give them a few more.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd suggest he got lucky with Nuno's appointment, can't think of a single decision he's made other than that which has been a success, possibly JL but that's looking increasingly doubtful.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi has proven to be out of his depth the last few years, recruitment has been an expensive mess due to his overpromotion of mediocre figures like Sellars. The club would benefit from a new Chairman.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The January signings were made to back JLo and were expected to push us into top 10 at least. None of the “big” signings have performed as expected - thankfully Dawson and Lemina have. This JLo is asking for more and I suspect Jeff said we can’t do it again. Hence conflict.

Justawolf

Reaction score
We seem to be flushing money down the pan just like Everton. We need to get a grip before it goes all tits up. Massive summer coming up.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
The January signings were made to back JLo and were expected to push us into top 10 at least. None of the “big” signings have performed as expected - thankfully Dawson and Lemina have. This JLo is asking for more and I suspect Jeff said we can’t do it again. Hence conflict.
How many of his signings were on the bench today

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You thought we were going to go from bottom of the league to top ten? That’s just insane.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is going to be a time when Jeff has done his stint in the UK and he gets called back home.

Jeff is going no where until chairman Guo says he is. No matter what we do or say. All we can do is cheer on whoever pulls on a gold shirt.

Fosun are not just building a football club they are building a sporting media group that just happens to have a Premier league team at its core, it is in their interest to keep us in the prem, but it's a hard competitive business and the go-political situation does not help when it comes to investing lots of money.

I still think JLo will get some funds and a few free transfers but it's going to be a hard season next year as he trys to craft a side from what is left after the clear out, and the few arrivals.

Interssting and important summer a head.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While Jeff I think is an issue, people are barking up the wrong tree at the moment. We could change him and we would be no better off because he, like his replacement, will just be a figurehead for what Fosun want. We simply need investment.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While Jeff I think is an issue, people are barking up the wrong tree at the moment. We could change him and we would be no better off because he, like his replacement, will just be a figurehead for what Fosun want. We simply need investment.

Buying smart rather the big investment for me. Foundations need to be relayed.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They say in Football you're only as good as your last game. Of course, if we zoom out we can only call Jeff's tenure on the whole a rip roaring success relative to where we have been. But the same could be said of Nuno, and he was sacked after one poor season. Jeff has had two or three poor seasons for me now, but some of his decisions and utterances this season have been dismal.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
What/who is the problem then?….

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people ( lots of people, not just you) keep talking about investment.
It isn’t investment it’s just throwing in cash , for likely no return.
Fosun aren’t likely to do that. Why would they?
It isn’t unreasonable for them to be cautious, and it isn’t unreasonable for them to think mid table Premier League is acceptable.
The fact that most football fans always want more whatever the circumstances is something that football club owners had to contend with.
It’s no surprise that the fans are largely ignored.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn’t unreasonable for them to be cautious, and it isn’t unreasonable for them to think mid table Premier League is acceptable.
The fact that most football fans always want more whatever the circumstances is something that football club owners had to contend with.
Whilst I agree with much of what you say, they could help themselves somewhat, by not increasing prices annually, for a fictitious "Premium product."

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They own a football club so investing in the team just comes with the territory. It's pretty clear you have to invest just to stand still. If that's what they want it's fine to a point, but if they don't improve a team that's already going to be weakened next season they will end up losing money.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They own a football club so investing in the team just comes with the territory. It's pretty clear you have to invest just to stand still. If that's what they want it's fine to a point, but if they don't improve a team that's already going to be weakened next season they will end up losing money.

Agree with a lot of what’s said in both posts.

Unlike Man City or Newcastle, of Chelsea under RA, we are owned by an investment company. They didn’t buy Wolves for prestige or glory, but to generate a return on their investment.

In the early years they did pretty well. They bought a debt free mid table Champ club for a modest price, invested a modest amount in the squad to gain promotion and sustain it once up, and through that increased the value of their investment significantly. Their model was that the club should be able to self finance football related investments once established in the PL, and the primary objective was to keep us stable, competitive and not needing any new finance from Fosun. Other clubs have achieved this for periods, but many have ultimately failed. They wanted another investor to come in, likely focused on the stadium and surrounding land.

The pandemic, key injuries and some misjudged transfer business brought that early success to a grinding halt, as well as efforts to secure outside investment, and since then Fosun have been forced to write off their soft loans to the club and inject further cash last summer when the sale of Neves failed to materialise and funds were needed to strengthen the squad. Such injections while necessary, are not sustainable, either for an investment firm (it diminishes the paper return on their initial investments) nor under FFP longer term. So yes they will grudgingly invest further cash to protect the club from relegation and the impact this would have on the club’s value, but the more they are forced to do that, the less attractive it will be to Fosun to keep us, or for another commercial investor to buy us.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People have short memories.

MOXEY kept us afloat and debt free would be ideal for clubs working within FFP.

Jeff has and fair play bankrolled us to the verge of breaking FFP - the same situation people want Everton docking points for?

Which one do we want sensible moxeyfied strategy?? Or someone who just listens to Mendes and almost putting us in a chaotic position…

We can’t have our cake and eat it.

People always overreact we are Wolves fans. Worst post ever read was someone saying the likes of Batth and co was a case for euthanasia. Had me in stitches

MOXEY wasn’t all that bad. He just wouldn’t spend what we didn’t have and that’s it. Leech or not anyone would have given themselves decent pay in his position. Jez has made enough to retire on and rightly so he’s a good businessman
Always made me laugh that no-one believed a word Moxey said until he threw players under the bus and then his word was gospel.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are about to enter a sixth successive season in the richest, most high profile league in world football. They need to balance the finances this summer, but otherwise Fosun will be delighted. They have the brand exposure and overall standard they wanted.

Fosun don't give a toss if we don't pass forwards enough or that Semedo can't judge a flighted ball or whether we play four or five at the back. Performances are neither here nor there and position doesn't matter provided we stay in the race.

Fosun do what benefits Fosun. Sometimes that's the same thing as what benefits Wolves, but not always. You can love them or hate them or anything in between but it's naive to think they give two bits what actually occurs on the pitch. They don't. It's money and brand, full stop. Changing Jeff Shi changes nothing.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We came up with ambition, to make a mark in the Prem rather than just be a team that makes up the numbers and is happy with survival.

It appears we've transitioned from the former into the latter.

It's disappointing. At times I think I'd rather we be in the Championship than merely making up the numbers in the Prem, the away allocations are better, home tickets cheaper and the Saturday 3pm kickoffs are great.

Entertainment value at Wolves has been so poor for a year or two now since post-covid.....not all on Shi of course but more a general point about FOSUN. Just think the club has turned stale along with the ownership, too. Think we'd benefit from fresh investment and a change of direction.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he stays, even though he stupidly failed to keep Nuno he can still get it right next year. The big question really is, is JL the man to meld a team from cheaper bits? Maybe we should pay him up and get Potter in. Don't get me wrong though I love JL just wonder if he has the grass roots contacts to unearth the on-the-cheap gems we need.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What/who is the problem then?….
It's multi faceted.

The number one problem for the team is scoring goals. Goalscorers are a precious commodity and much money is wasted in world football trying to find the next striker. We are competing in the best league in the world for a very small pond of talent.

The number one problem for the club is FFP. We cannot throw huge sums of money at the transfer market in every window. Neither can most clubs in the Premier League including the likes of Arsenal. FFP makes it virtually impossible to make up the gap to the top 6 /7 clubs in the country as clubs like Leicester have found out.

Throwing money at players is always a gamble. Throwing money at players who have a hard time respecting or understanding their coach makes matter worse.

We aren't alone in the problems we have faced as many other Prem. clubs have to be really careful. Some folks will be jealous of Villa now they have qualified for Europe but I guarantee they will find it very hard next season with expectations raised. A bit like West Ham this season.

There are numerous other issues such a coach with, seemingly, expectations, we cannot match right now. It remains to be seen if he has the patience to work with what he has or is allowed to have.

Then we have Fosun and the fact they don't want to keep throwing money at a football club with no return. Fans seem to expect that because we have wealthy owners that they will keep investing in players. They won't and neither should they. We need to see some real growth from the younger players they have invested in or at the very least, turn them into a profit.

Football isn't easy and it's very easy to take huge financial gambles on players that then fail to perform. Fosun have invested in players and for one reason or another, a lot of them have underperformed as far as the fans are concerned. However, from a Fosun point of view, they have maintained our Premiership status and that is very important in their long term outlook. Naturally fans never look at the longterm, everything has to be about the now.

So, it's multi faceted. We are still the 13th best team in England.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are about to enter a sixth successive season in the richest, most high profile league in world football. They need to balance the finances this summer, but otherwise Fosun will be delighted. They have the brand exposure and overall standard they wanted.

Fosun don't give a toss if we don't pass forwards enough or that Semedo can't judge a flighted ball or whether we play four or five at the back. Performances are neither here nor there and position doesn't matter provided we stay in the race.

Fosun do what benefits Fosun. Sometimes that's the same thing as what benefits Wolves, but not always. You can love them or hate them or anything in between but it's naive to think they give two bits what actually occurs on the pitch. They don't. It's money and brand, full stop. Changing Jeff Shi changes nothing.
They would if the loyal good folk who part with their hard earned coin week in and week out to watch that crap stopped doing so.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They would if the loyal good folk who part with their hard earned coin week in and week out to watch that crap stopped doing so.
Really, compared to what Fosun have invested, it's peanuts and a non argument. Of course, it's the fall back argument of every fan when they don't like the performance of the team but the reality is that is how football works. There are no guarantees in football. One bad season can see a team relegated.

Some fans come to this realization and give up on the game / sport / team. Others continue to pay up in the expectation/hope that things will get better. You pays your money, you makes your choice. Sport doesn't guarantee value for money. Never has. Never will. And,if you expect it to do so, then you will get a rude awakening.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really, compared to what Fosun have invested, it's peanuts and a non argument. Of course, it's the fall back argument of every fan when they don't like the performance of the team but the reality is that is how football works. There are no guarantees in football. One bad season can see a team relegated.

Some fans come to this realization and give up on the game / sport / team. Others continue to pay up in the expectation/hope that things will get better. You pays your money, you makes your choice. Sport doesn't guarantee value for money. Never has. Never will. And,if you expect it to do so, then you will get a rude awakening.
Not to mention the overspending on players who havent improved the team at all.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Same wth going to a rock concert or a movie…..you can’t be sure of the quality.

Back
Top Bottom