Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Shi - Interview in The Athletic

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
9One thing I'd add is I don't think fosun want to overpay for anyone, regardless of whether they improve the first team. They want value across the board (behind the scenes, perhaps they recognise a lack of value in Fabio).

Yeah, maybe. But there was always going to be a lack of value for Fabio probably in years 1-3. After that, hopefully we will start to see the value of the long-term investment!!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t know if it has been mentioned previously on this thread but I will mention it.

Why did Jeff give an interview to a subscribe only outlet and not our local evening newspaper?

I would have been more than interested to read what he has to say, but to pay for the privilege you must be joking!!!

That is very disappointing IMO.

Probably the appeal a much wider, global audience. As the article suggests, that is the aim for the club/business in every respect!

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On paper, maybe. But it’s a bit of an unknown. Yes, he’s just won the league playing centre back all season for Lille in France, but so did Jose Fonte and he didn’t exactly set the Premier League on fire and I’m pretty sure he’d be a no for most of us. So can Botman be as effective in the PL as he has been in France?

Botman is also not a full International yet either, which is another question mark. Can he handle the step up to full International football?

When everyone is fit, Saiss probably doesn’t start anyway, Kilman is now probably our first choice left sided centre back.

The way Kilman has started the season, would Botman be an upgrade on that level from day 1? Yes, if Kilman’s performances are just good form and he drops back a level, I’ve no doubt a player like Botman could potentially maintain those levels more consistently.

But with all those questions yet to be answered, I can understand why the club would be reluctant to part with £30m for him.
Sounds a lot better when you put it this way - he won the league in France (beating PSG) despite having fonte as a cb partner.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably the appeal a much wider, global audience. As the article suggests, that is the aim for the club/business in every respect!

I understand that Wolfling, but what Jeff said about our club should be available to every Wolves fan without having to pay for it.

If you are a fan, just type the name Wolves into Google wherever you are in the world and you can read all the latest news about us for free.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You don't really, not many Prem clubs spend £100M a year. Not at all sustainable.

@HKWolf Anyone who thinks Renato Sanches and Botman make us a top 4 team is absolutely delusional. Bloke who is permanently injured and can't even kick a ball till January this year is not a top 4 player. Also we are 5/6 players away with no key players sold from having the type of depth of squad required to even have a shot at top 4
So because Renato Sanches is injured, or permanently injured in your eyes, that means he’s not a top 4 player? That would be the 24 year old Renato Sanches that Liverpool were interested in buying, the same guy that ran the show for Portugal during the Euros, won the league title this year with Lille, and who Bayern Munich paid over £30mill for? Sanches walks into all the top 4 teams. He’s better than Rodri, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Henderson, Keita, Milner, Fred, Mctominay, Matic, Kovacic, and anyone from Arsenal and Tottenham.

As for the other part about being deluded. Do you genuinely believe that the following team isn’t better than the Leicester side that finished 5th and won the FA Cup last year, and that it wouldn’t compete for a top 4 spot?

Sa

Semedo Kilman Caleta-Car Ait-Nouri

Neves Sanches

Trincao Podence Traore

Jimenez

subs from: Ruddy, Jonny, Marcal, Hoever, Boly, Mosquera, Coady, Saiss, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Gibbs-White, Neto, Hwang, Silva

Now I’m not saying we would definitely finish in the top 4, but I could see us finishing in the top 4, and certainly competing for a place. A lot depends on Jimenez of course, but i remain hopefully he will return to what he was. If he doesn’t, then we have a problem unless Silva becomes the new Kane.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's clear we need a CM. Its clear a CB is the next most important area to strengthen. Getting the two players would in no way guarantee top four though, it would make top four a more viable possibility.

If you were in Shi's shoes i think you'd be Ridsdalesque in your approach. I'm glad you're not.
Ridsdale gave people like Seth Johnson what they wanted. I’m talking proven quality to push us to the next level (Renato Sanches). Big difference.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What/where is this interview that many posters refer to?

I see a statement from the office of Shi printed by a weak Britney. Oh for some direct questions….. no chance.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
On paper, maybe. But it’s a bit of an unknown. Yes, he’s just won the league playing centre back all season for Lille in France, but so did Jose Fonte and he didn’t exactly set the Premier League on fire and I’m pretty sure he’d be a no for most of us. So can Botman be as effective in the PL as he has been in France?

Botman is also not a full International yet either, which is another question mark. Can he handle the step up to full International football?

When everyone is fit, Saiss probably doesn’t start anyway, Kilman is now probably our first choice left sided centre back.

The way Kilman has started the season, would Botman be an upgrade on that level from day 1? Yes, if Kilman’s performances are just good form and he drops back a level, I’ve no doubt a player like Botman could potentially maintain those levels more consistently.

But with all those questions yet to be answered, I can understand why the club would be reluctant to part with £30m for him.

These questions are valid, but I don't think he's as big of an unknown as you say he is.

Player Analysis: Sven Botman

Some highlights from this player profile: 6th in Ligue 1 with aerial wins per 90 - better than Dias, Sergio Ramos, Dias and De Ligt and in the top 10% of CB pass accuracy throughout the five major leagues in Europe. Not saying this guarantees success in the Prem, but there's a reason why Liverpool, United and Sevilla have all been linked to him. He's not comparable to Fabio who had minimal first team appearances for Porto.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Why not? If you make signings like that you have to play them. There is no point keeping them for 2 years to not give them a go and let them disappear. He's not 12.

Signings like what? He was a few million pounds. I don't think he was signed under the expectation he would walk into the first team, he apparently struggled in the Libertadores last year.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s so clear that we’re going to struggle for goals. I saw a post the other day that said our 6 main forwards will get 7 goals each and we’ll get another 20 from midfield and defence.

I’d say Saiss (if he plays at all) might get 3 and Boly 2 Coady 1. Neves 3 or 4. I’d be surprised if any of our forwards get 7 and I suspect a couple of them may not get more than 1 or 2.

does anyone think we’ll score more than 35 -40 goals?
It may have been my post you’re referring to, and to be fair I believe I actually said if our 6 forwards can get 40 between them, which is averaging about 7 each and the rest of the squad can get 15-20 between them then we’d be on for our best goal scoring season in the PL.

That being an average means hopefully Raul gets back to his previous level and Neto returns from injury and has a good second half of the season. If that happens they can get 20+ between them, you’d then need the rest from the other 4 (Podence got 3 from half a season fit, Silva got 4, Traore got 2 but has to get more the way we’re playing now if he’s ever going to show he can be the top player he has the attributes to be).

For context, last season our defenders and midfielders got 15 between them, so again it’s not unreasonable to believe they should be capable of 15-20 in a more attacking side too.

It’s clearly all supposition at the moment but surely if we managed to get 36 goals last season when we pretty much stopped creating chances as the season went on, law of averages says we should score more this season if we continue to create like we have.

Last edited:

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As expected you can take what you want from the article, positive or negative, depending on your pre conceived expectations. With regards Botman the club feel he was over priced and wouldn't pay the extra. Many of us (including myself) disagree and think we should have done but maybe that's why we're not senior executives at huge companies.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

It may have been my post you’re referring to, and to be fair I believe I actually said if our 6 forwards can get 40 between them, which is averaging about 7 each and the rest of the squad can get 15-20 between them then we’d be on for our best goal scoring season in the PL.

That being an average means hopefully Raul gets back to his previous level and Neto returns from injury and has a good second half of the season. If that happens they can get 20+ between them, you’d then need the rest from the other 4 (Podence got 3 from half a season fit, Silva got 4, Traore got 2 but has to get more the way we’re playing now if he’s ever going to show he can be the top player he has the attributes to be).

For context, last season our defenders and midfielders got 15 between them, so again it’s not unreasonable to believe they should be capable of 15-20 in a more attacking side too.

It’s clearly all supposition at the moment but surely if we managed to get 36 goals last season when we pretty much stopped creating chances as the season went on, law of averages says we should score more this season if we continue to create like we have.
No. The evidence is that only Raul (and Jota) are capable of lifting us above that 35 goal mark.

Not happening this year from what I’ve seen.

we really need a point or at least a goal in the next three games or Bruno (managing Jeff’s) squad will have made the worst start in history.

Jeff wouldn’t be pleased what that and would act.

It would obviously be down to Bruno’s management, not Jeff’s unhealthy obsession with wingers with resale growth potential.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So because Renato Sanches is injured, or permanently injured in your eyes, that means he’s not a top 4 player? That would be the 24 year old Renato Sanches that Liverpool were interested in buying, the same guy that ran the show for Portugal during the Euros, won the league title this year with Lille, and who Bayern Munich paid over £30mill for? Sanches walks into all the top 4 teams. He’s better than Rodri, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Henderson, Keita, Milner, Fred, Mctominay, Matic, Kovacic, and anyone from Arsenal and Tottenham.

As for the other part about being deluded. Do you genuinely believe that the following team isn’t better than the Leicester side that finished 5th and won the FA Cup last year, and that it wouldn’t compete for a top 4 spot?

Sa

Neves Sanches

Trincao Podence Traore

Jimenez

subs from: Ruddy, Jonny, Marcal, Hoever, Boly, Mosquera, Coady, Saiss, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Gibbs-White, Neto, Hwang, Silva

Now I’m not saying we would definitely finish in the top 4, but I could see us finishing in the top 4, and certainly competing for a place. A lot depends on Jimenez of course, but i remain hopefully he will return to what he was. If he doesn’t, then we have a problem unless Silva becomes the new Kane.
No that side isn't better than Leicester's side. It is probably a side that can push top 6,you also ignored the key point i made about depth. 11 players is unlikely to get you top 4.

I never believe "interest" until i read it from a reputable source, he also played less than 14 games worth of minutes for Lille last year so it's not hard to see why they think they can replace him.

He plays a different role to half of those players so it's a stupid comparison. Really comparing him to sitting midfielders? Kovacic, Gundogan, Rodri and Fernandinho are levels above him in their roles.

He is a very good player, who has had one great season in an injury laden career. Weren't you saying we should gamble and spend like £40M on him?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Signings like what? He was a few million pounds. I don't think he was signed under the expectation he would walk into the first team, he apparently struggled in the Libertadores last year.
Why does how much he cost matter? Kilman cost peanuts, he looks class.
Jens Botman aged 20, cost Lille 7.5 million last year. He has since played 38 games and is seemingly the centre back target that is by the way some of you are talking, infinitely more experienced than another 20 year old that we have signed for a similar price. I don't understand.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What/where is this interview that many posters refer to?

I see a statement from the office of Shi printed by a weak Britney. Oh for some direct questions….. no chance.

It’s in The Athletic.

You have to subscribe to The Athletic and pay for the privilege of reading it.

As I previously posted very disappointing.

Interview should have been made by the Express and Star IMO.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As expected you can take what you want from the article, positive or negative, depending on your pre conceived expectations. With regards Botman the club feel he was over priced and wouldn't pay the extra. Many of us (including myself) disagree and think we should have done but maybe that's why we're not senior executives at huge companies.
I would be more reassured if any of those "senior executives" (other than Sellars whose background is in Academies which means that he's arguably less qualified than Arteta who is doing so well) actually had any football knowledge whatsoever. Without that their value assessment is likely flawed as a minimum.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. The evidence is that only Raul (and Jota) are capable of lifting us above that 35 goal mark.

Not happening this year from what I’ve seen.

we really need a point or at least a goal in the next three games or Bruno (managing Jeff’s) squad will have made the worst start in history.

Jeff wouldn’t be pleased what that and would act.

It would obviously be down to Bruno’s management, not Jeff’s unhealthy obsession with wingers with resale growth potential.
In our first season back we got 47, Raul got 13, Jota 9 and everyone else no more than 4. So more than half our goals came from the rest of the squad despite none scoring more than 4.

2019/20 we scored 51, Raul got 17 Jota got 7 and again no one else got more than 4. So again more than half our goals came from the rest of the squad despite none scoring more than 4.

We do miss Jota’s goals, but Neto would have matched him last season without injury in my opinion (more so if we hadn’t struggled to create so much). It obviously hinges on Raul, but if he hits double figures I think the rest of the team can support that and we’ll get more than 40. A couple of people the other forwards can get more than half a dozen and I reckon we can hit more than 50.

I appreciate it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, however it surprises me that “nothing you’ve seen” leads you to believe we can score more than 35 despite us still managing 36 last season even with how much we struggled. That’s despite the fact that last season we had 463 shots (12.2 a game) and this season we’ve already had 57 (19 a game).

We’ll have a better idea where we stand by the next international break I think. If we still can’t score a goal then you may well be right, but after the 2nd most difficult start (on paper) of any team I feel we’ve done okay performance wise and if we keep that up we will score goals and we will win matches.

DJW

Reaction score
The reality of trying to find top quality players who will walk straight into our starting 11 is providing to be nigh on impossible. So perhaps we need to continue to find younger players with the potential to develope into those players. Trincao looks a class act to me and I think perhaps, knowing the above, we should of tried to get Vititnha (sp) back here. We may regret waisting so much time chasing unrealistic targets as someone like Vittinha might become one of them in a couple of years time, and we missed out on him. Same for Bottman maybe.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No that side isn't better than Leicester's side. It is probably a side that can push top 6,you also ignored the key point i made about depth. 11 players is unlikely to get you top 4.

I never believe "interest" until i read it from a reputable source, he also played less than 14 games worth of minutes for Lille last year so it's not hard to see why they think they can replace him.

He plays a different role to half of those players so it's a stupid comparison. Really comparing him to sitting midfielders? Kovacic, Gundogan, Rodri and Fernandinho are levels above him in their roles.

He is a very good player, who has had one great season in an injury laden career. Weren't you saying we should gamble and spend like £40M on him?
I can’t be bothered to argue with you about Sanches, but if you think that Leicester have a better team or even squad than the team that I just showed you, a team in which Marc Albrighton, Ayoze Perez, Jonny Evans are regulars, not to mention dross like Amartey, Thomas, Mendy and Choudhary stinking out the bench, it’s not me that’s delusional. They only have one forward player that would even get near our team and that’s Vardy, and he’s about 50 years old.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
even MM doesnt understand our transfer strategy

Further evidence of what ALOB Shi has spouted this week.
Spiers do your ****ing job, when you get the opportunity ask searching questions don’t just copy and paste what as been emailed to you as ‘exclusive’

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I can’t be bothered to argue with you about Sanches, but if you think that Leicester have a better team or even squad than the team that I just showed you, a team in which Marc Albrighton, Ayoze Perez, Jonny Evans are regulars, not to mention dross like Amartey, Thomas, Mendy and Choudhary stinking out the bench, it’s not me that’s delusional. They only have one forward player that would even get near our team and that’s Vardy, and he’s about 50 years old.
Dross like Thomas? He's a promising 20 year old. Daka and Iheanacho are both much better than Fabio at this point. Barnes and Maddison are better than Podence. Tielemans and Ndidi is very comparable to Neves and Sanches. Their CBs are miles better, Evans is better than any of ours and is 3rd choice. Keeper is better as well.

We are definitely better out wide.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Further evidence of what ALOB Shi has spouted this week.
Spiers do your ****ing job, when you get the opportunity ask searching questions don’t just copy and paste what as been emailed to you as ‘exclusive’
If he asked searching questions, he wouldn't get any more exclusives.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s in The Athletic.

You have to subscribe to The Athletic and pay for the privilege of reading it.

As I previously posted very disappointing.

Interview should have been made by the Express and Star IMO.
Yeah but it's really cheap for the first six months.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ridsdale gave people like Seth Johnson what they wanted. I’m talking proven quality to push us to the next level (Renato Sanches). Big difference.
Zero guarantees he'd push us on. Everything is a punt. Sanches is just a more educated punt than Seth lol.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage has told us what we all knew. He was given direction to change our playing style, he told the chairman it is very obvious the positions needed but the chairman considered the finances and failed to deliver.’

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key phrase for me in that statement is ‘I analysed the squad and I created a profile for the positions we need to improve.’ Excluding RAN who was already here I can see how Sa fits into Bruno’s style better than Rui but are Mosquera and Hwang better than we’ve got? Trincao may be a step up but needs more time but the biggest elephant in the room is midfield followed by a lack of options at the back. Get a decent Centre-Half and we can play 4-2-3-1 with good options behind Raul and the existing midfield can play the 2. Without the Centre Half we need more dynamism in midfield. We are betwixt and between due to our lack of signings in these key positions.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Why does how much he cost matter? Kilman cost peanuts, he looks class.
Jens Botman aged 20, cost Lille 7.5 million last year. He has since played 38 games and is seemingly the centre back target that is by the way some of you are talking, infinitely more experienced than another 20 year old that we have signed for a similar price. I don't understand.

This is Kilman's fourth season with us, he only started making regular appearances last year. He was not signed with the intention of jumping straight into the first team, like you are saying should happen with Mosquera.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you don't just replace your most valuable assets in case they can't find their previous form. If you're talking about players who are nailed on to replace Raùl's goals and all round game then you're very limited to who you can bring in and they'd be very expensive.

what happens when Raùl recaptures his pre-injury form? Who p!ays? Who sits on the bench? Who's dropped from the bench? I don't think we could keep two Raùl's happy. Raùl should only be replaced when we know he needs replacing.
Yes, I understand that. The question is "where will we be at the point we know Raul needs replacing?". If we *know* he needs replacing, it will be because he just isn't scoring, so most likely we will be struggling and in trouble. Though really, things are never that clear cut, which is why we have all these differences of opinion. :) He will be somewhere between 0 and 10 goals, with the usual spectrum of opinion on whether he needs replacing or will "come good give him time". Whatever, a genuine back up would be my preferred way to handle the situation.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa

Neves Sanches

Trincao Podence Traore

Jimenez

Neto for Podence surely? :D

Back
Top Bottom