Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Interview

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't need to panic buy or splurge tons of money

But ffs, we do need a seasoned defender and midfielder. Another Neto/Jordao would be great, but Wolves need to add some seasoned depth to this squad for both tactical flexibility and to keep our squad fresh.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

In other words no signings imminent and dilly dallying again like last summer? Hope I'm wrong but sounds a tad familiar :grimacing:
Value for money is better than rushing to sign players to placate bedwetters. Probably also someone who laughs at United for dropping £80M on Maguire

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The summer we signed our record signing? The same summer everyone said we spunked cash doing Mendes a favour?
The same summer, we kept hold of our main squad, which resulted in a record premier league points haul?
The same summer we invested in other players, which ultimately didn't work?
Shall I go on?
Bring back Morgan eh?

Make no mistake, if we repeat last summer we won't be making any strides forward. We shouldn't have to given we already have secured all the players already at the club now though. But we absolutely need to do better than we did with the new faces we bring in.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm really encouraged by this, but I admit I feel in need of constant reassurance.
The weak-minded indvidual that I am :)-.
We are Wolves fans......we excel in Anxiety Disorder, Inferiority Complex, Pant Wetting, Nail Biting, Social Phobia disorder, Severe Mood Swings, Imposter Syndrome, Unworthy issues and We Don’t Deserve Nice Things complex.

.........and this is just the off season.

D

Deleted member 11332

Make no mistake, if we repeat last summer we won't be making any strides forward. We shouldn't have to given we already have secured all the players already at the club now though. But we absolutely need to do better than we did with the new faces we bring in.
So if we smash our transfer fee record again, as we did last summer we won't make ant strides forward. Hilarious.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Bit daft to count him in last summers work given he had already been at the club a year. New faces are what any window needs to be judged on in regards to improving a team year on year.
Given that FFP is literally a thing we were fined for breaching you have to include it. If you drop nearly £35 million on a player it's 35 that can't go anywhere else. Add in Leander that's 45 million we couldn't use.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a fabulous first 15 .

That ,if fit , could see us do very well in all the English competitions.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We invested fairly heavily last summer, although Cutrone and vallejo didn't work out, not every signing will. Look at the likes of Everton, West ham, Bournemouth, villa etc-we have definitely done better in recruitment than those, and where things haven't got to plan we've done well to move them on. Then we have Neto, who knows what his value will be, the sky is the limit.

Id take our summer last year over the majority of the others.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why it has to be extremes. You can want a seasoned defender or attack midfielder that has experience without breaking records to sign them. Knowing Wolves, they'll try to loan them in. Willy Boly is someone who didn't break the bank. Experienced and quality at a good price.

You can be happy with progress and still want Wolves to improve in places where they need to. We stood still last summer signing projects, some worked out, some did not. Yet finished 7th again. Which is fantastic, seven years ago in League 1, etc etc yada yada. But if Wolves want to actually move up, at some point a risk has to be taken in signing proven talent.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right, so being concerned at a repeat of last summer is now being a 'spoilt brat' then I take it. Jheez, why can't people debate and have concerns without being criticised for it... it's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Nuno has said for three windows now we need players and we haven't delivered. Forgive me if I have concerns despite the progress we've made. I guess I'm a spoilt brat for being so.

lycophilos

Reaction score
Right, so being concerned at a repeat of last summer is now being a 'spoilt brat' then I take it. Jheez, why can't people debate and have concerns without being criticised for it... it's a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Nuno has said for three windows now we need players and we haven't delivered. Forgive me if I have concerns despite the progress we've made. I guess I'm a spoilt brat for being so.
You may not be a "spoilt brat", but you, and others like you are, IMHO, very wrong if you thought the last summer transfer window was very poor. As has been pointed out, for FFP reasons, the signing of Jimenez has to be included. And what about Neto - perhaps one of the most exciting prospects in the squad? And since then, Podence, for one, has been added.
OK - Cutrone - he didn't fit in (homesickness), but no club ever gets all its transfers right.
Considering where Wolves were before Nuno arrived, less than 4 years ago, it does make some Wolves fans who are complaining sound like "spoilt brats", even if you aren't. And to say that "we haven't delivered" for three windows is, IMHO, plain ludicrous.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You may not be a "spoilt brat", but you, and others like you are, IMHO, very wrong if you thought the last summer transfer window was very poor. As has been pointed out, for FFP reasons, the signing of Jimenez has to be included. And what about Neto - perhaps one of the most exciting prospects in the squad? And since then, Podence, for one, has been added.
OK - Cutrone - he didn't fit in (homesickness), but no club ever gets all its transfers right.
Considering where Wolves were before Nuno arrived, less than 4 years ago, it does make some Wolves fans who are complaining sound like "spoilt brats", even if you aren't. And to say that "we haven't delivered" for three windows is, IMHO, plain ludicrous.

Well Nuno said we can't make the same mistakes. So put me in the very wrong camp with him ta.

Surprises me that anyone thinks our squad is this compact deliberately so that we can't even make a handful of bog standard substitutions in a game.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Nuno said we can't make the same mistakes. So put me in the very wrong camp with him ta.

Surprises me that anyone thinks our squad is this compact deliberately so that we can't even make a handful of bog standard substitutions in a game.
thought it was poor to have 2 goalies on the subs bench.just have 1 sub less

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
A very expected response from Jeff. No surprises in anything he says. He’s not going to blurt out that we’re going to spend a lot of money, or that we’re close to signings, even if we were. He wouldn’t say that we are going to sell a star player, or not recruit even if that was the case. Reality is that we’re not in European competition next season, so fewer games and more difficulty in enticing top targets. Nuno has stated he wants more depth in the squad, and the club will be doing their best to keep him happy. Very fine lines. I’m hoping for a quiet summer, but it’s possible a star player will leave and need replacing. It’s going to be last minute as it always is.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

As you're in the Nuno camp presumably you must be aware that he prefers to work with a small squad. He's said this on a number of occasions. Maybe the 'mistakes' he is referring to were Cutrone and Vallejo. Sounds logical to me.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They clearly try; but in today’s day and age too many clubs throw silly money at players which affects clubs willingness to release players .

Who can blame them - we are doing the same with Jimenez and traore

D

Deleted member 5276

In other words no signings imminent and dilly dallying again like last summer? Hope I'm wrong but sounds a tad familiar :grimacing:
Forgive me but your post rather sounds like the typical impatient fan of any team where you don't get what you want immediately.

My advice is to sit back, relax, enjoy the journey.

We will improve, we will sign even better players and we will achieve what Fosun want us to achieve. Sometimes you just have to wait a little as sometimes the pieces you want for the jigsaw aren't immediately available.

It's easy to say we need "ABC" but the reality is that "ABC" have to be a definite improvement on what we already have and to get those sorts of players means an awful lot of things have to fall right.

Trust the process. It hasn't done us so bad in the last three years has it? Two 7th place finishes and good cup runs in FA Cup and Europa. We're getting closer to achieving the mission.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was very poor, for whatever reason. Yes, we completed the permanant deals of the players you mentioned. He said during the whole of the China tour about wanting players and going hard in the market, safe to say we didn't. Again in January, he said the same thing, we added 1 player. I never said we haven't delivered for 3 windows, don't put words in my mouth. I said he'd asked for more players for the last 3 - last summer, January and post Sevilla. The reality is we had the chance to kick on last summer and didn't, and Nuno alluded to mistakes happening and having the same squad as last year - so he clearly agrees the recruitment has been poor. It's not 'very wrong' at all. If you think last summer was a good window and January as well, then good for you. I happen to think it wasn't. We disagree hey ho

TezzaWolf

Reaction score
Lovely to hear from Jeff all his points make sense other than the one about us having a balanced squad.

If Bolys injury had been worse in the quarter final, Kilman was next in line.

If one of the wing backs had have gone off we'd have been down to Oskar Buur.

The only other striker we have is a 19 year old kid who couldn't make the bench at times when we named 9 subs.

We've got 16 trusted players (1 long term injured) including 2 keepers. That's not a balanced squad for a top 7 premier League team.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly this. Yes Nuno wanted a small squad but not this bloody small. Our bench has been ridiculous this season for a club supposedly wanting to kick on. In the cold light of day, it's remarkable what Nuno's gotten out of this squad considering there's been barely any improvement recruitment wise in the last 12 months

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good man and a good leader. Don't know how some can complain but up to them I suppose.

I liked our approach with our people:

"We’ve tried to make the staff safe; not only about their health, but also financially"...

... versus the likes of Arsenal:

"Out, you lot".

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was very poor, for whatever reason. Yes, we completed the permanant deals of the players you mentioned. He said during the whole of the China tour about wanting players and going hard in the market, safe to say we didn't. Again in January, he said the same thing, we added 1 player. I never said we haven't delivered for 3 windows, don't put words in my mouth. I said he'd asked for more players for the last 3 - last summer, January and post Sevilla. The reality is we had the chance to kick on last summer and didn't, and Nuno alluded to mistakes happening and having the same squad as last year - so he clearly agrees the recruitment has been poor. It's not 'very wrong' at all. If you think last summer was a good window and January as well, then good for you. I happen to think it wasn't. We disagree hey ho
Tell me a team outside the usual top 6 who had a better couple of windows?

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It wasn't a poor window. It was mixed, fantastic prospects brought in, a couple who flopped. In terms of bringing in new players to slot immediately into the starting XI, there were no upgrades. That's fine for a window or two. But at some point, you can't stand still with the same starters. I can't imagine how knackered our players are after a 13 month season. If the plan is to throw them out again for another season with very little rest and not slot in a couple seasoned players to fill injury gaps or compete for spots, it's just standing still.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forgive me but your post rather sounds like the typical impatient fan of any team where you don't get what you want immediately.

My advice is to sit back, relax, enjoy the journey.

We will improve, we will sign even better players and we will achieve what Fosun want us to achieve. Sometimes you just have to wait a little as sometimes the pieces you want for the jigsaw aren't immediately available.

It's easy to say we need "ABC" but the reality is that "ABC" have to be a definite improvement on what we already have and to get those sorts of players means an awful lot of things have to fall right.

Trust the process. It hasn't done us so bad in the last three years has it? Two 7th place finishes and good cup runs in FA Cup and Europa. We're getting closer to achieving the mission.

It's nothing to do with impatience. We have a golden opportunity to kick on, I hope we don't waste it. Starting with Nuno signing that contract. Believe me, I have enjoyed the journey.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tell me a team outside the usual top 6 who had a better couple of windows?

I honestly couldn't care less about other teams and their windows. But if we don't improve this summer we'll go backwards, you can't stand still.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly couldn't care less about other teams and their windows. But if we don't improve this summer we'll go backwards, you can't stand still.

Also, signings don't have to be 90m blockbusters. You can upgrade certain positions or inject depth without needing to do either extreme of inexperienced youngsters or break the bank for Ruben Dias. I trust Nuno can make good work of many players who may not be as gifted as others. Look what he's done already.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with impatience. We have a golden opportunity to kick on, I hope we don't waste it. Starting with Nuno signing that contract. Believe me, I have enjoyed the journey.
It's OK kicking on, but let's build the foundations first, improve the squad each window and we will reach the goal. Or we can blow the future of the club by investing everything in a squad, maybe falling away and returning next season worse off.

The gap between us and the top 6 is massive financially, we have to be smart in the market to compete. One or two quality additions will improve our options, 2 or 3 good prospects will make our rise sustainable.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you tell me exactly where Jeff is saying we won't improve? I missed it

We heard similar things said from Jeff last summer and ultimately we didn't improve. In the last 12 months our transfers haven't worked, and Nuno agrees. How can anyone possibly argue with that? I'm talking about last summer.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's OK kicking on, but let's build the foundations first, improve the squad each window and we will reach the goal. Or we can blow the future of the club by investing everything in a squad, maybe falling away and returning next season worse off.

The gap between us and the top 6 is massive financially, we have to be smart in the market to compete. One or two quality additions will improve our options, 2 or 3 good prospects will make our rise sustainable.

I'm not arguing with any of that. But we tried to be 'smart' last summer, ended up waiting too long and ended up panicking at the end of the window. Can't make the same mistakes this time, as Nuno has alluded to.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not arguing with any of that. But we tried to be 'smart' last summer, ended up waiting too long and ended up panicking at the end of the window. Can't make the same mistakes this time, as Nuno has alluded to.
Just because a player came late doesn't mean he was a panic buy. Anyone were looking at will have other offers, we're looking at top players, and exciting prospects. We're not shopping at the quickie mart anymore.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The thing is though.At the moment jef is happy that we have improved year after year.Even though it's ony little strides,They have players. on the list they would like to buy.BUT if these players are being overpriced we wow be buying em.The way I see it now is.We are ony gonna buy a top class player if we sell one of ar top class players.

Wat I'm more concerned about is that they are not buying specialized players for the positions we need.They are buying wingers and making them wingbacks.Forwards that can play anywhere along the front.Midfielders that can play in central defence.Etc,Etc.Think we have enough of them at the club at the moment,and it's tekin Nuno an age to play em.I'd like to see a big strapping attacking midfielder,and a defender who's soul position is to defend.

Think the whiskey is kicking in.Ignore me if it's byluk. :tonguewink:

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every premier league will say they want signings and no one is saying we don't need to streghthen . However Nuno has the final say and has high standards last summer it was incredibly difficult for us to improve on the players we have with the ffp restrictions. you have to include Jimenez and dendoncker because we made their loans permenant and therefore were signings.
To suggest Jeff doesn't back Nuno or want to strengthen or is quite frankly bizarre. We are never going to throw cash at anything that moves like West Ham do, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom