Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not the quantity or the cash that matters we urgently need a forward that scores goals and we haven't bought one so fantastic it certainly isn't.
As I put earlier. Only 4 forwards have more than 10 goals this season. Two are a different level (Haaland and Kane) the other two Toney and Mitrovic have a massive 6 and 7 goals respectively from open play.

It’s been a fantastic window, we’ve added goals, more driven midfielders and an experienced CB and GK.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha a striker?? He looks more of a winger to me. Okay we should be starting him with Raul but Podence is in form and Sarabia is meant to be better than anything we have. Formation and selection is going to be interesting going forward. I hope we solve our issues soon.
He’s a modern forward. He’s not a winger, he’s a wide forward who can play centrally. Same as Marcus Rashford. I’m supremely confident the goals we desire will come from the players we have.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only four “Proper centre forwards” (whatever they are in the modern game) have more than 10 goals in the premier league this season and two of them (Toney and Mitrovic) would be on 7 and 6 from open play. There’s this myth that centre forwards are back in premier league football when realistically the only two great ones are Haaland who is a freak of nature and Harry Kane who’s been the best British one in a quarter of a century.
Whether it's a myth or not doesn't really matter.

Also, 10 goals is the top end.

The reality is our strikers have 0 goals after half the season, so we need more than zero.

Bournemouth have 7 goals from Solanke and Moore - and are strengthening.
Leeds have goals from Rodrigo (10) and a returning Bamford (1) - and have strengthened.
Forest have 8 goals from Awoniyi and Johnson - and have strengthened.
Southampton have 5 goals from Adams and Armstrong - and are strengthening.
West Ham have 5 goals from Antonio and Scamacca - and have strengthened.

Everton are in a similar position to us with 1 goal from Calvert-Lewin but I think it's fair to say that he has more potential than Jimenez and Costa. Also, they will strengthen before tomorrow I imagine.

Most of these clubs also have a Podence equivalent as well in terms of an attacker with a decent return at this stage.

We're still going to be in massive trouble because of the goals. We're starting below everyone except for Everton in terms of goals and whilst it's easy to say Cunha and Sarabia will solve the difference, it's a massive risk.

Cunha's stats don't back up that argument and Sarabia hasn't done anything in a good league for 3 years, which isn't his fault admittedly.

It's a huge risk to be relying on them to score goals but that's where we are.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a modern forward. He’s not a winger, he’s a wide forward who can play centrally. Same as Marcus Rashford. I’m supremely confident the goals we desire will come from the players we have.
Cunha is not going to get the goals we need and as Jimenez and Costa are worse than useless I fail to see where the goals are going to come from. Our manager is playing with fire if he thinks what he's bought this January will have us shooting up the table with a hatful of goals.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cunha is not going to get the goals we need and as Jimenez and Costa are worse than useless I fail to see where the goals are going to come from. Our manager is playing with fire if he thinks what he's bought this January will have us shooting up the table with a hatful of goals.
Buckle up, fella

You're in for a long ride if you disagree with Doris the tea lady

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He probably doesn’t expect a hatful of goals, but he’s also probably pretty confident the reinforcements he’s made to our midfield and defence will mean we no longer need to score 2 or 3 to win but enough 1-0 results will see us comfortably safe

It’s also worth pointing out the tactical difference in being harder to beat and scoring first more, so often we’re chasing matches and teams can sit deep against us. If we’re harder to score against they’ll have to open up to us giving more chances for our forwards. It’s not just about buying a Haaland and sitting back to watch the goals rain in

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southampton signing Dembele and Vitinha is great business, smart for a team that doesn't score goals to sign strikers to rectify that situation.
Think they're only getting one.

Paul Onuachu the latest to be linked with them, will be one of those three apparently.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The reality is our strikers have 0 goals after half the season, so we need more than zero.

Leeds have goals from Rodrigo (10) and a returning Bamford (1) - and have strengthened.

Everton are in a similar position to us with 1 goal from Calvert-Lewin but I think it's fair to say that he has more potential than Jimenez and Costa. Also, they will strengthen before tomorrow I imagine.

Most of these clubs also have a Podence equivalent as well in terms of an attacker with a decent return at this stage.

We're still going to be in massive trouble because of the goals. We're starting below everyone except for Everton in terms of goals and whilst it's easy to say Cunha and Sarabia will solve the difference, it's a massive risk.

Cunha's stats don't back up that argument and Sarabia hasn't done anything in a good league for 3 years, which isn't his fault admittedly.

Cunha goal to minute ratio is almost identical to Rauls before joining us. He’ll get goals as will Sarabia, Podence is chipping in. Neto is back soon and Raul Costa will chip in. Our job is to spread goals throughout the team not rely on one central forward.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He probably doesn’t expect a hatful of goals, but he’s also probably pretty confident the reinforcements he’s made to our midfield and defence will mean we no longer need to score 2 or 3 to win but enough 1-0 results will see us comfortably safe

It’s also worth pointing out the tactical difference in being harder to beat and scoring first more, so often we’re chasing matches and teams can sit deep against us. If we’re harder to score against they’ll have to open up to us giving more chances for our forwards. It’s not just about buying a Haaland and sitting back to watch the goals rain in
Exactly this spread the goals between the team not rely on one centre forward

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thankfully the manager sees more in Cunha who you are writing off after a few games. We will share goals through the team and stay up comfortably

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thankfully the manager sees more in Cunha who you are writing off after a few games. We will share goals through the team and stay up comfortably
I hope your confidence is right, I haven't wrote Cunha off but going on his past record he isn't a goal scorer.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha goal to minute ratio is almost identical to Rauls before joining us. He’ll get goals as will Sarabia, Podence is chipping in. Neto is back soon and Raul Costa will chip in. Our job is to spread goals throughout the team not rely on one central forward.
I agree with that.

But Raul and Costa have zero so far so saying they will chip in is based on nothing. The evidence suggests the opposite.
Cunha having the same record to Raul before is irrelevant to what he will do, likewise Sarabia and we don't know how Neto will do.
Podence is delivering for us right now but that's it.

Considering the money was clearly there, the way we have spent it is hugely questionable, even if it's still been a good window on the whole.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d like to think so but hasn’t a few journos said that’s it
To be fair they have all said “it should be” the end of our business, but not that it will be.

One last signing wouldn’t surprise me given all of our business but it’s way too quiet now and most of our targets have now signed with new clubs.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that.

But Raul and Costa have zero so far so saying they will chip in is based on nothing. The evidence suggests the opposite.
Cunha having the same record to Raul before is irrelevant to what he will do, likewise Sarabia and we don't know how Neto will do.
Podence is delivering for us right now but that's it.

Considering the money was clearly there, the way we have spent it is hugely questionable, even if it's still been a good window on the whole.

Raul has been injured since pre season and Costa hadn’t played for a year and had to be thrown straight in. It’s completely unfair to judge on their appearances so far. All the work that’s gone into getting them both fit and match ready is getting close to the point it’ll start to pay off, with better quality players to provide chances, more athletic and aggressive midfielders to win the ball back earlier so we’re not starting attacks from our goalkeeper and a more solid defence it’ll look a lot different moving forward

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we definitely aren't relying on one centre forward having gone 30+ games without one scoring, so to have the balance you suggest throughout the team, we'd need a striker that will chip in with a few as well, and I just don't see them coming from Costa or Raul.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we definitely aren't relying on one centre forward having gone 30+ games without one scoring, so to have the balance you suggest throughout the team, we'd need a striker that will chip in with a few as well, and I just don't see them coming from Costa or Raul.
They will. Both have been injured or not playing but are up to match fitness now

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great post, I totally agree, and we are taking a massive risk. It's not so much the goals as the all-round difference a forward would make to the side. We'd get more goals from the supporting attackers just by virtue of having a centre-forward doing the things a centre-forward does, making space, holding the ball up, making runs etc. We're on track to score 22 goals this season. 22. That's a terrifying statistic, and it is incredible and baffling that we've not addressed it.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post, I totally agree, and we are taking a massive risk. It's not so much the goals as the all-round difference a forward would make to the side. We'd get more goals from the supporting attackers just by virtue of having a centre-forward doing the things a centre-forward does, making space, holding the ball up, making runs etc. We're on track to score 22 goals this season. 22. That's a terrifying statistic, and it is incredible and baffling that we've not addressed it.

Do you genuinely think JL hasn’t thought about it?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The goal ratio has increased under J-Lo without the additional players and the current players having to learn his style and system. We absolutely won’t finish on anywhere near 22 goals

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The goal ratio has increased under J-Lo without the additional players and the current players having to learn his style and system. We absolutely won’t finish on anywhere near 22 goals

Bury your head in the sand all you like, but we've scored 4 in 5 games under Lopetegui. At that rate, we'll finish on 26 goals this season.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will. Both have been injured or not playing but are up to match fitness now
If we don't sign a striker tomorrow, then I'll have no choice but to accept it and hope you're right! If neither of them find a way to start chipping in, then it's going to be a serious struggle getting over the line.

Cunha and Sarabia will hopefully help, but after Guedes I'm a little skeptical of how quickly they can adapt coming from playing in La Liga/Portugal (I know Sarabia was at PSG, but rarely played behind Mbappe, Neymar, Messi). Podence might scuff in a few more, Neves might contribute with a couple more worldies, but other than that I struggle to see where else they're coming from. Neto coming off yet another injury? Hwang? Adama? I highly doubt it.

With what we've spent this year, it would be an utter calamity if we go down because we continue to lack goals and didn't address a glaring need in January when all of our relegation rivals have.

Fuse

Reaction score
I'm slightly baffled about all this talk of us not addressing our striker position, it was literally the first signing we made in January! You may not agree with the choice of striker, and clearly many of us would like more options, but Cunha has absolutely been brought in for that position. He's spent the vast majority of his career playing as a CF, so why is everyone so convinced he isn't? He was the man JL wanted and he's the man he got. As has been mentioned, the fact he can play across the front 3 is an added bonus giving us more flexibility.

If you look at his goals per minute over his career he actually averages a goal every 3 games, which for a team like us is about as good as you can realistically hope for.

I'm not saying the goals are suddenly going to start raining down, few teams in the league are free scoring and if they are it's usually at the expense of defensive solidity, which goes against JL's style. But make no mistake, Cunha's signing along with Sarabia and the other midfield reinforcements are absolutely designed to help bring the goals.

It's also unfair to extrapolate our scoring record from the first half of the season to predict the second half. We're a very different team to pre-Christmas and we need to have faith in JL and the players he's brought in. Raul and Costa haven't been great, but they've been starved of service, its not unreasonable to expect an upturn in their output given all the changes we've made over the last few weeks.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Raul and Costa will be different animals in the second-half of the season and will both score goals....you can take that to the bank!!! :tearsofjoy:
This conjecture is based merely on a feeling though, so no guarantees or warranties are given....though obviously, if it turns out to be the case, I would like all the plaudits for my bold vision and statement!!! Lol

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have scored 12 goals and cunha looks more of a goal assister. His metrics look great apart from goals scored.
Southampton are signing two strikers whereas we have signed one and have two players on the bench whose best days are behind them.
If we don't sign a striker we are in deep trouble.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't sign a striker tomorrow, then I'll have no choice but to accept it and hope you're right! If neither of them find a way to start chipping in, then it's going to be a serious struggle getting over the line.

Cunha and Sarabia will hopefully help, but after Guedes I'm a little skeptical of how quickly they can adapt coming from playing in La Liga/Portugal (I know Sarabia was at PSG, but rarely played behind Mbappe, Neymar, Messi). Podence might scuff in a few more, Neves might contribute with a couple more worldies, but other than that I struggle to see where else they're coming from. Neto coming off yet another injury? Hwang? Adama? I highly doubt it.

With what we've spent this year, it would be an utter calamity if we go down because we continue to lack goals and didn't address a glaring need in January when all of our relegation rivals have.
As others have pointed out. j-Lo has been backed significantly so if he’d have wanted this mythical centre forward he would have got it. He’s brought Cunha in to be his number 1 striker

Back
Top Bottom