Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless Lopetegui can get this team consistently attacking the opposition box in numbers we are going to be in danger of the drop, no matter how well we improve our ball retention and performances. I’m not sure Cunha is the man to bring the 20 goals we need.

when have we ever had a 20 goal striker in the top flight?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
when have we ever had a 20 goal striker in the top flight?
I agree, this 20 goal a season striker is a bit of a red herring. Since we got promoted in 17/18 the only players to score 20+ goals in the League were

Salah
Son
Kane
Vardy
Ings
Aubameyang
Sterling
Mane

Our best is Raul in 2019/20 with 17. Out of those players there is probably only Ings that would have been within our price range or ability to attract. So the idea that there are 20 goal a season strikers out there just waiting to be signed if only Jeff and Hobbs would get their finger out is absurd. Any striker we sign would be a relative unknown, like Raul was, and it's anyone's guess how they perform.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s not like our strikers are missing chanxes? we need to create the chances for Costa to actually miss!
AS per previous untill our strikers are actually having shots what can you say, the only other argument is you have example fabio or new striker who is more active who will run to get more chances

But right now none of our strikers are shootings or getting chance to shoot

Im looking forward to seeing what team we are layin gout for Liverpool

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s not like our strikers are missing chanxes? we need to create the chances for Costa to actually miss!

But a striker who holds the ball up, bully's defenders, runs down the flanks, wins freekicks, gets infront of his man, throws his body at the ball all helps this.

We aren't going to create chances if we don't have a striking 'presence'.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But a striker who holds the ball up, bully's defenders, runs down the flanks, wins freekicks, gets infront of his man, throws his body at the ball all helps this.

agreed but i would say costa has done this more than raul at times, hopefully a fitter raul now give another two week break he should be ready to go

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
20 goals off one player?

Bet you no more then 7-8 different players have got that over 5 years and their out the big boys...probably only Vardy and Ings whose had the odd season..
Just for context, only 45 players have scored 20+ top flight goals for Wolves. That's not in a season, that's in their entire Wolves careers! Raul is in the top half of that list.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

fair points but for me blame currently lies with the lack of decent chances being created

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Surprised they havent managed to find chem a championship side.

Both him and corbeanu now look likely to dwindle out and be sold
I think thats probably a good move for him.
Championship is a big step up from u21 football. Generally speaking league one is probably right for a first loan, especially if we think it’s to a team he’ll fit well into and get some game time.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Harry Kane was on loan in League 1, Chem needs 90 minutes week in week out then to go to the Champ next season
Kane was 17 when he went to league 1.

At 20 he went prem then championship then back to tottenham.

Im just surprised that given chem has been seen as such a good prospect.

If you look at players who we have loaned out

Cundle etc

Perhaps hes behind the development.

Similar to giles who started at shreswbury but again that was much younger

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not seen anything in Chem Campbell to suggest he's currently too good for league 1. League 1 is a good standard.

To even make it in the football league is a huge success for anyone stepping up from youth level. Only a small % can make it. It's a numbers game.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some nuggets

"Barring any late change, he will be the club’s final signing of the window, with Lopetegui expected to decide whether to send youngster Joe Hodge out on loan once the deal is completed. Defender Yerson Mosquera is another who could leave on loan before tomorrow’s deadline."

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some nuggets

"Barring any late change, he will be the club’s final signing of the window, with Lopetegui expected to decide whether to send youngster Joe Hodge out on loan once the deal is completed. Defender Yerson Mosquera is another who could leave on loan before tomorrow’s deadline."
Ah yes, unless something changes things will stay the same!

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to have a bit of faith that JLo has it under control. He said he wanted 6 in. We raised eyebrows yet 6 weeks later here we are with 6 in . TBF if that squad isn’t good enough to get 23 points from 18 games then we deserve to drop. We will grow in confidence be harder to beat and the midfield will chip in. I reckon Sarabia finishes the season top scorer. Just a hunch .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WTF?

Firstly that would break my heart - Romain was one of our unsung good guys.

Secondly him and that **** Shelvy in the same dressing room....

Edited to add: What next? Trees sign Coady and recreate Nuno's first choice back three???

Last edited:

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we should enquire about Ferguson from Brighton.
(He may be comparable to Fabio, but in my view 'has more about him'.)

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I would love him here but could see him going to someone like Vile.
We didn’t have midfield options at the start of the window .We now have Neves,Moutinho,Nunes,Traore,Lemina,Gomesand Hodge (not sure if I have missed one ) which should be enough

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to have a bit of faith that JLo has it under control. He said he wanted 6 in. We raised eyebrows yet 6 weeks later here we are with 6 in . TBF if that squad isn’t good enough to get 23 points from 18 games then we deserve to drop. We will grow in confidence be harder to beat and the midfield will chip in. I reckon Sarabia finishes the season top scorer. Just a hunch .
I think 6 was key cause I think that was all lopetugui wanted to integrate into the group..Without upsetting the apple cart with the current squad. Think he wanted to generally replace the kids who were making up the numbers in the squad.....he has done this for me..

Has he achieved everything he wanted to do, probably not.....I think he may have wanted another striker defender , wann bisakka but it hasn't happened that way .... And maybe another but the market generally dictates what you do, for a club our size....we can't chuck it round like Chelsea...

think we have also helped the potential problems that will arise in the summer in some areas , especially midfield....

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He’s hardly played any senior games. The championship is so tight for the playoffs that no team is going to guarantee him regular starts. For all anybody knows the championship could well swallow him up at this stage of his career. Personally I think it’s a decent move for him.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's been so unlucky so far.

Sheffield fans were furious he was getting left off the team sheet.
Blackburn he was consistently one of the better players both via the eye test and via official match ratings.
Even on MK Dons, which I thought was his worst loan, the team was winning when he started. In the playoffs, they won the game he started and got spanked the game he didn't play a minute.

On top of that, so many of these clubs are putting him in positions he's not really made for. Sheffield was playing him as a wingback and midfielder. His new club is playing him at CF. He's got some history as a CF, but every time I've seen him play it, you're taking away his biggest talent which is going forward and challenging players. He's through and through a winger - it would be nice to see him get a run at that position.

But yeah, unfortunately it looks like he's probably going to end up sold, likely to MLS or something.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This whole striker/goal scoring chances question is becoming a bit chicken and egg... Are we not scoring because we don't have a striker, or is it because we're not creating chances for our current striker(s), or are we not creating chances because we don't have a striker in the box in the 1st place....

Argh! Just buy a decent striker Wolves, and tell him not to leave the box under any circumstances (other than at half and full time, obvs), then at least we can eliminate one of the variables and move on a bit...

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This whole striker/goal scoring chances question is becoming a bit chicken and egg... Are we not scoring because we don't have a striker, or is it because we're not creating chances for our current striker(s), or are we not creating chances because we don't have a striker in the box in the 1st place....

Argh! Just buy a decent striker Wolves, and tell him not to leave the box under any circumstances (other than at half and full time, obvs), then at least we can eliminate one of the variables and move on a bit...

Can both be correct?

Costa and Raul aren't good enough. But neither is Adama or Hwang.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa has missed some sitters so far in fairness.

Raul and hwang have also missed some very good chances too.

Costa should be sat on 2 goals and that isn’t being harsh it is just honest.

We do create chances, granted not bucket loads but our finishing is woeful too

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Soon as I saw him at Villa I said he is a striker.

Not a winger at all for me, could argue he would benefit from being in a two but definitely a striker.

J LO doesnt tend to play with an old school centre forward anyway, think when they beat us it was Ocampos, En Nesyri and Suso.

I see Podence as our Ocampos

Sarabia is our Suso

Cunha our En Nesyri, never prolific on his own ( 1 in 3 for Sevilla) but clever, physical enough to occupy defenders for sure, an all rounder in the way I see Cunha.
The next Thierry Henry

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not leave the box under any circumstances? Hmm whoever he is is going to end up on zero goals and constantly offside

Back
Top Bottom