Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grealish won’t be leaving City for at least 3 seasons
Who will want him in 3 years. He will be 31 with no resale value. Pep won’t pick him at the moment. Ridiculous purchase in the first place

Vile forced to sell in the summer

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who will want him in 3 years. He will be 31 with no resale value. Pep won’t pick him at the moment. Ridiculous purchase in the first place

It was always going to catch up with them. They've been spending like drunken sailors since the Grealish money and Villa fans seem to think this could carry on forever and this was the start of their golden age of fighting for the title and regular Champions League football.

I wonder how Emery will react to having to sell and not being able to buy? his stock is sky high atm, will he want to sty with them reverting to the mean?

dnf14

Reaction score
It was always going to catch up with them. They've been spending like drunken sailors since the Grealish money and Villa fans seem to think this could carry on forever and this was the start of their golden age of fighting for the title and regular Champions League football.

I wonder how Emery will react to having to sell and not being able to buy? his stock is sky high atm, will he want to sty with them reverting to the mean?
Villa always get buyers for their players though: Grealish, Chukwuemeka and Archer have gone for very respectable sums and Ramsey has shown far more than the latter two in the PL.

The part that makes me wonder is the squad cost/revenue ratio since Villa hand out VERY generous contracts.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You’ve answered your own question. Villa were probably the prime people to buy him and they’re skint. His wages are an absolute killer for most clubs plus city will want a sizeable fee. Those reasons alone are why he won’t be leaving city.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa always get buyers for their players though: Grealish, Chukwuemeka and Archer have gone for very respectable sums and Ramsey has shown far more than the latter two in the PL.

The part that makes me wonder is the squad cost/revenue ratio since Villa hand out VERY generous contracts.
The last part is key. As you say they’ve got some good returns on selling homegrown players but their wage bill is absolutely huge. They could well struggle to move a few of those on for sure. An example, They made a big thing about getting Kamara and Tielemans on a free but because they came on a free they are on massive wages, shifting them on will be a real task.

dnf14

Reaction score
The last part is key. As you say they’ve got some good returns on selling homegrown players but their wage bill is absolutely huge. They could well struggle to move a few of those on for sure. An example, They made a big thing about getting Kamara and Tielemans on a free but because they came on a free they are on massive wages, shifting them on will be a real task.
Are you implying Kamara turned down a move to the Spanish champions Atletico Madrid not due to being excited at the prospect of being under the tutelage of the genius Stevie G but for money?!! :rage:

They won the European Cup in 1982 in case you didn't know. :triumph:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you implying Kamara turned down a move to the Spanish champions Atletico Madrid not due to being excited at the prospect of being under the tutelage of the genius Stevie G but for money?!! :rage:

Exactly mate, him and Tielemans (who supposedly rejected Arsenal) are probably on £400k a week between them or not far off. They’ve chucked wages at players. Carlos and Torres won’t be cheap either! Martinez got a big bumper new deal after the World Cup. They’ll definitely have to trim the wage bill in the summer as it’s a big squad as well

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I missed Coutinho off my list, he’s still got 2 1/2 years left on his huge contract

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting quote from Gon. ;"We could afford wages but some of the fees – obligations, loan fees, penalties for people not playing – were too much of a hurdle for us. We couldn’t get anything done.”
Penalties for people not playing??

dnf14

Reaction score
Interesting quote from Gon. ;"We could afford wages but some of the fees – obligations, loan fees, penalties for people not playing – were too much of a hurdle for us. We couldn’t get anything done.”

Broja to Fulham had a £750k loan fee and a £4m penalty if he doesn't play a required number of games. Might be in reference to that.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly, imagine taking on a player who's in **** form and being forced to play him. I think Gary would be less happy about that than not having anyone at all.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that’s the point unfortunately. Too often fans see £x transfer fee and £x wages when there’s far far more to a deal. Loan deals are a minefield now because more players are on loan than ever before and parent clubs try their best to eke out as much money as possible. Wasn’t Trincao’s loan fee to us £4 million plus his wages? Madness

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja to Fulham had a £750k loan fee and a £4m penalty if he doesn't play a required number of games. Might be in reference to that.
The reports I have read have said a loan fee of 4 million so are you saying that he played the required number of games he would only have incurred a fee of 750k?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that’s the point unfortunately. Too often fans see £x transfer fee and £x wages when there’s far far more to a deal. Loan deals are a minefield now because more players are on loan than ever before and parent clubs try their best to eke out as much money as possible. Wasn’t Trincao’s loan fee to us £4 million plus his wages? Madness
Sellars arranged that deal with mendes. Trincao then went to sporting Lisbon for 12 million. Barcelona wanted 27 million off us for trincao originally. No mad mendes.

dnf14

Reaction score
Mendes pulled our pants down and went in dry with that deal.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes pulled our pants down and went in dry with that deal.
Remember the excitement we had when he signed? That disappeared rapidly once we’d seen him play! Heart of a pea. He made Guedes look like a harder version of Vinny Jones. Absolute fraud he was.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the excitement we had when he signed? That disappeared rapidly once we’d seen him play! Heart of a pea. He made Guedes look like a harder version of Vinny Jones. Absolute fraud he was.
Trincao was pretty **** but at least we were able to give him back!

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Second time his agent has been the reason a move to the Prem has fallen through (us and West Ham in the summer).

I'd be sacking him on the spot.

Yuri needs to be getting some new agents. Wrecked his move to the premier league.

Now I might be wrong but, i'm very certain said agent owns half of the player, I dont think the player has much of a choice. Like I said Brazil is a cess pit for this sort of stuff

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In the last 9 months Grealish has started in, and won, a champions league final, an FA Cup final, a European super cup final and a world club championship final as well as playing nearly 30 Premier league games last season and winning that as well.

Hardly a ridiculous purchase.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RAN is a backup at PSG, Nuno Mendes is unreal. I could definitely see them wanting Neto though, especially with the Mendes ties.

Nuno Mendes is excellent but seems like he is injured a fair bit though.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jessie Lingard signing for a club in South Korea. Probably the low point of the summer was being linked with him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the last 9 months Grealish has started in, and won, a champions league final, an FA Cup final, a European super cup final and a world club championship final as well as playing nearly 30 Premier league games last season and winning that as well.

Hardly a ridiculous purchase.
The 100m was way too much

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 100m was way too much
That was the release clause though, I’m pretty certain after the season they had last year and the part Grealish played in it, City will be happy with the buy.

City’s net spend the summer they bought Grealish (2 and half years ago) was about 41 mil which is **** all really.

Compared to several players recently signed by Chelsea, Man U etc, whove achieved nothing, the fee doesn’t look that bad to me to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom