Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was the second manager to leave due to undelivered promises of development, then he would probably be fine reputationally.

Jeff on the other hand……. It will be bloody nasty for him if it is two straight to go because of it, plus his handling of Nuno when he wanted to improve the squad too.
Much as l didn't rate him Lage seemed to be in the same boat too.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be when we have injuries, suspension, etc that it will tell. The way that fhe refs love to dish out yellows to us it may not be long before we find out.
We have to take more responsibility for yellow cards. Not saying that it’s all our fault but, imo, some of it is.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to take more responsibility for yellow cards. Not saying that it’s all our fault but, imo, some of it is.
Certainly the silly ones like kicking the ball away when a free kick is awarded against us but it is frustrating when we often see our player fouled with no card for their player and then we commit a lesser foul and out comes the yellow.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
Hobbs and GON are proving that as a pair they can find shrewd investments and develop their value. When the finances are more comfortable let’s hope it encourages Fosun to trust this and invest proactively. Will see us having to get used to selling our top players, but will also see us have a constant flow of top talent. Think this is a more positive angle on the self sustaining model
There's no FA cup semi finals, Europa Cup quarters or 7th place finishes yet, but this is probably the best organised and coherent the football operation has been in the Fosun era.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we'll be active, too. I'd imagine that Neto and possibly RAN will be off, plus a few lesser lights. Surely £100m would give us some FFP room to sign some players for the kind of sums we paid to West Ham for Dawson and will pay City for Doyle.

I much prefer signings like that than the £100m we spaffed on Guedes, Silva and Sasa
The problem is that for that sort of fee then for every success you are likely to have lots more who are meh or totally duff. I am not, before you say it, claiming that a bigger fee guarantees success though. That's where the scouting and recruitment network earn their keep.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
20240206_182655.png
I would love more facility fee money to help with player recruitment. Better than last season though.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly the silly ones like kicking the ball away when a free kick is awarded against us but it is frustrating when we often see our player fouled with no card for their player and then we commit a lesser foul and out comes the yellow.
Ok but we can only control what we do…..so let’s do that well.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair, our back 3 isn't great. Toti isn't anything special. Kilman is anyone's guess. Somedays he's the best player on the pitch, other days it's like there's no one knocking inside. Dawson is a very solid vet, but aging.

It's not as bad as some people make it seem, but we could definitely use an upgrade there. In fact, I think CB is by far our weakest position.

I just think we lack pace there.

Disagree about Toti though who is vital in this system, doubted him initially but he's so confident now.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paris produces more internationals than any other are, followed by Sao Paulo and London- that’s where Wolves have been shopping recently!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think we lack pace there.

Disagree about Toti though who is vital in this system, doubted him initially but he's so confident now.
We have mosquera to come in to replace either TOTI or the ageing dawson

But dawson has been our best defender (CB)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should look at kids that arsenal, city, United chelsea don’t want, normally have something about them. City especially sancho, Rogers, mainoo few others go on to do things. Could maybe add Doyle at a push

The price of success. Young talent can't get into your team and slips through the net.

I bet Chelsea wish they had Tomori, Rice, De Bruyne, Ake, Musiala and Salah in their team now. But the issue was they weren't good enough for where Chelsea were at the time.

A lot of the discarded talent won't make it. But for the ones with the right character, that rejection will be the making of them and they might go on to have more success than those who were retained!

It's identifying those ones that's the really hard part.

Last edited:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
We should look at kids that arsenal, city, United chelsea don’t want, normally have something about them. City especially sancho, Rogers, mainoo few others go on to do things. Could maybe add Doyle at a push
I started this off thinking we'd done this before but off the top of my head up until more recently I can only think of the following who made an impact on the first team coming from (at the time) big clubs, Scott McGarvey, Jon Purdie, Phil Robinson, Eric Nixon, Mike Stowell, Tom Bennett, Darren Fergusson, Steve Froggatt.

More recently we've had some success picking up players who have been to other teams in between, e.g. Sylvan Banks-Blake, Conor Coady, or minor success e,g, Michael Mancienne, but to be honest aside from raiding youngsters from the likes of Porto, Athletico Madrid, Lazio, we don't do this often enough. I think we need to be getting in before they reach first team level though as it immediately inflates their prices.

NB Even though we were in the Fourth Division at the time and them lot were in the First I can't bring myself to include the obvious.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just about to post this,

This is good news, means capital drive for the club

Fosun Sports Group is looking to raise around $100 million to help it grow its esports portfolio and invest in Premier League football team

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those who cant read paywall:

The amount of capital being raised hasn’t been finalized, according to people familiar with the situation, who asked not to be named discussing confidential information.

Fosun Sports Group declined to comment.

Fosen Sports Group is an arm of Chinese conglomerate Fosun International Ltd. — whose businesses span tourism, pharmaceuticals and finance — which has been divesting assets and cutting borrowing after credit concerns triggered a bond and stock selloff. Last month, Fosun sold some of its stake in Banco Comercial Português for €235 million.

Fosun Sports Group owns Wolves and is minority shareholder and strategic partner of Seattle-based esports firm Evil Geniuses. Chicago-based investor Peak6 bought a stake Fosun Sports Group in 2021.

Once considered a potential successor to traditional sports, the esports industry has significantly declined since 2017. Funds from advertisers, media-rights deals, game publishers and sports-business billionaires bled out of the nascent industry as organizations struggled to find channels for sustainable revenue.

Recently, esports M&A activity is concentrated in Saudi Arabia, where the country’s public investment fund-backed Savvy Games Group bought up several esports companies with the intent of operating tournaments in the country.

Wolves, who beat Chelsea FC last weekend, made a £43.1 million ($54.3 million) loss in the year to May 2022, according to the latest available filings.

dnf14

Reaction score
They other players they have to sell i expect they will need to sell to buy for neto
Arsenal would sooner dump all those funds into a move for Toney imo.
With Savinho going to City the market for Neto looks borderline nonexistent so it doesn't look unfeasible for Neto to be rocking up at Compton in 6 months' time.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be goer if the article is right and the Saudi are buying up the eSports stuff ...
Really? Lots of journalists are reporting that the bubble has burst and that there is no sustainable business model.

Here is a quote from a recent article:

Another factor that hinders the profitability of esports is the lack of a sustainable business model. Unlike traditional sports leagues, which have well-defined structures and revenue-sharing systems, esports lacks a centralized governing body. This makes it difficult for teams and players to negotiate fair contracts and secure stable income streams. Additionally, the volatile nature of the gaming industry means that popular games can quickly lose their appeal, leading to a decline in viewership and sponsorship opportunities.

I know the Saudis love their sportswashing, and have money to burn literally, but the product is crap.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal want Neto

Wolves want Nketiah and Nelsson can’t see it happening. We want money for FFP Arsenal are watching the purse strings
If all three transfers went through I suspect it would suit all parties to inflate the three fees for FFP reasons. Can't see it myself, though.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? Lots of journalists are reporting that the bubble has burst and that there is no sustainable business model.

Here is a quote from a recent article:

Another factor that hinders the profitability of esports is the lack of a sustainable business model. Unlike traditional sports leagues, which have well-defined structures and revenue-sharing systems, esports lacks a centralized governing body. This makes it difficult for teams and players to negotiate fair contracts and secure stable income streams. Additionally, the volatile nature of the gaming industry means that popular games can quickly lose their appeal, leading to a decline in viewership and sponsorship opportunities.

I know the Saudis love their sportswashing, and have money to burn literally, but the product is crap.
The Saudis would buy sand at the minute if it was linked to Sport....

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I started this off thinking we'd done this before but off the top of my head up until more recently I can only think of the following who made an impact on the first team coming from (at the time) big clubs, Scott McGarvey, Jon Purdie, Phil Robinson, Eric Nixon, Mike Stowell, Tom Bennett, Darren Fergusson, Steve Froggatt.

More recently we've had some success picking up players who have been to other teams in between, e.g. Sylvan Banks-Blake, Conor Coady, or minor success e,g, Michael Mancienne, but to be honest aside from raiding youngsters from the likes of Porto, Athletico Madrid, Lazio, we don't do this often enough. I think we need to be getting in before they reach first team level though as it immediately inflates their prices.

NB Even though we were in the Fourth Division at the time and them lot were in the First I can't bring myself to include the obvious.
If l remember rightly we had Stsn Collymore on our books before he moved to Stafford Rangers? If l am not mistaken he scored twice in four first team appearances, but didn’t have a great attitude.

We also signed Jason Roberts from Nuneaton for £100k but don’t think he played that often / at all under McGoo?

So we are as guilty of letting top talent through our grasp as much as other teams

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its not as much to do with money as it is to brand exposure.
And how does that help? How do you monetise it? Are we seeing planes full of Chinese fans turning up at the mol looking for tickets to a stadium that is already sold out? Are they buying merchandise from our stores? No.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If l remember rightly we had Stsn Collymore on our books before he moved to Stafford Rangers? If l am not mistaken he scored twice in four first team appearances, but didn’t have a great attitude.

We also signed Jason Roberts from Nuneaton for £100k but don’t think he played that often / at all under McGoo?

So we are as guilty of letting top talent through our grasp as much as other teams
We did Stan was on same YTS as me best mate at wolves.....they got rid of him for bad time keeping and attitude...

Back
Top Bottom