Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON knows the score. After some initial appearances he never used Fabio or Sasa again, and I agreed with that decision, just not good enough. He was never going to play them again and they had started to grumble, so get them off the books. I'm sure he would love a few new faces too, but I think he's also happy with the committed players he has, even if he wants a bit more.

I'm all for balanced conversation. I mean I would like a new striker who fits in too, it's just the unrelenting negativity and stuff like "abysmal" and "down to bare bones" that drives me crazy. Not being held to ransom or unable to buy when most clubs won't sell or loan is not abysmal and we are nowhere near down to the bare bones. I'm sure GON understands that too, partcularly in this current FFP climate and won't be whining on about it to Hobbs. We have Cunha, Neto, Hwang, Bellegarde and Fraser fighting for three places. We have Traore, Joao Gomes, Doyle, Lemina fighting for two places. The sky won't fall in if we don't get a striker this window and GON won't be doing an interview with Guillem Balague to complain about it either. I have no doubt that Hobbs and GON are on the same page with this and understand the situation.

You call for balance and say that O'Neil was 'never' going to play them. That's just a lie. How do you know? I would say with confidence that Sasa would play if Hwang was injured/absent. Yes, if Hwang was fit all the time, he wouldn't play.

Fraser was not once used ahead of Sasa, yet you're claiming he's 'fighting for a place'. Therefore, Sasa would've been as well because O'Neil rated Sasa above Fraser when they were both available for selection.

Does O'Neil 'know the score'? He's said on several occasions he wanted a forward.

Also, your list includes one natural striker in the eyes of our manager, and he's an 18-year-old yet to play in the Premier League.

You're not trying to have a balanced conversation, you're trying to deflect criticism from the board.

There are no other clubs in the league with an untested 18-year-old as the only natural striker at their club.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be disappointing if we can't get any reinforcements in before the deadline. Is it the end of the world? No, we can save that money for the summer, and then make a proper push for Europe next season. We'll be in a much better position financially than most sides going into the summer, most clubs will be selling rather than buying due to FFP.

Realistically we aren't getting relegated and it's unlikely we'll make a sustained push for Europe. Let's see what Nathan Fraser can do when the opportunities present themself, in my mind he was already ahead of Sasa and Silva in the pecking order.

GON said he didn't want players that wouldn't improve us. It's not for lack of trying that nothing has materialised.

As always though, a select few will paint it as a doomsday scenario if nothing happens between now and 11pm.
The problem is that i think a difference of about just 3 places equates to around £6m in prize money.

So having a mitigation for an injury (especially when it's a player we already own) could mean we're £6m better off going into the summer.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You believe a manager who he himself was sold during a January window has no idea how difficult it is? He's a pretty perceptive bloke from what we've seen in his time in the job so far.
I said what I believe.

I think he was told the two players had to go in order to bring in a replacement(s). He agreed, thinking he could take them at their word.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be disappointing if we can't get any reinforcements in before the deadline. Is it the end of the world? No, we can save that money for the summer, and then make a proper push for Europe next season. We'll be in a much better position financially than most sides going into the summer, most clubs will be selling rather than buying due to FFP.

Realistically we aren't getting relegated and it's unlikely we'll make a sustained push for Europe. Let's see what Nathan Fraser can do when the opportunities present themself, in my mind he was already ahead of Sasa and Silva in the pecking order.

GON said he didn't want players that wouldn't improve us. It's not for lack of trying that nothing has materialised.

As always though, a select few will paint it as a doomsday scenario if nothing happens between now and 11pm.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said what I believe.

I think he was told the two players had to go in order to bring in a replacement(s). He agreed, thinking he could take them at their word.
So, GON, a man recruited by Hobbs, a man supported by Hobbs, and seemingly has been in constantly communication with him, has been absolutely blind sided by a decision that he most likely had a say in?

I'm believing you're absolutely reaching for something that ain't there.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every Wolves fan would welcome a couple of good players coming in to bolster a cup run and a run at 6th place.

It's that ****ing obvious.

If we don't strengthen in the next few hours, it will be a worse ****up than January 22.

And we know what that led to

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every Wolves fan would welcome a couple of good players coming in to bolster a cup run and a run at 6th place.

If we don't strengthen in the next few hours, it will be a worse ****up than January 22.

Clearly this is the iPads fault.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa played 159 minutes in the first half of the season. Silva is absolutely useless and can't even get a start in the SPL.

In GON's mind, I genuinely believe Nathan Fraser was ahead of them in the pecking order.

Which makes it even more baffling we sent him there especially with German teams interested. His value will tank now, we'll be lucky you get anywhere near £10m for him now imo

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's going to take some convincing for him to choose us over Fulham. He doesn't have to move and has a better chance of starting regularly for them. Here he's on the bench when Hwang returns.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not how I read it tbh, but then I'm trying to adopt some centre ground here and like others don't want to be fleeced by a club or agent.
Some folk are naturally concerned that we have limited resources and I'm sure like yourself would like an FA Cup Final and another trip into Europe.
I did say on another thread that recent form has understandably lifted expectations, but to realistically expect those within the present squad to continue the performances of late imo has to be questionable.
Cunha for example looked run into the ground on Sunday but we'll still expect him to deliver this evening and again on Sunday.
There appears to be little slack in the system to rest a player, for example.
Exactly. Cunha puts a hell of a shift in.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky sports Deadline Day is quite funny ….. Keep going over to reporters stationed at each club who have **** all to report on….. basically a whole day talking about .,,,, virtually nothing
Nothing new . They could talk for two hours on the make of a Liverpool players shoelaces

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON knows the score. After some initial appearances he never used Fabio or Sasa again, and I agreed with that decision, just not good enough. He was never going to play them again and they had started to grumble, so get them off the books. I'm sure he would love a few new faces too, but I think he's also happy with the committed players he has, even if he wants a bit more.

I'm all for balanced conversation. I mean I would like a new striker who fits in too, it's just the unrelenting negativity and stuff like "abysmal" and "down to bare bones" that drives me crazy. Not being held to ransom or unable to buy when most clubs won't sell or loan is not abysmal and we are nowhere near down to the bare bones. I'm sure GON understands that too, partcularly in this current FFP climate and won't be whining on about it to Hobbs. We have Cunha, Neto, Hwang, Bellegarde and Fraser fighting for three places. We have Traore, Joao Gomes, Doyle, Lemina fighting for two places. The sky won't fall in if we don't get a striker this window and GON won't be doing an interview with Guillem Balague to complain about it either. I have no doubt that Hobbs and GON are on the same page with this and understand the situation.
Poster Flea here just wanna add that he agrees with this post.
It is not like we´re gonna scop up the next Messi in this window..and as far as strikers is concerned we have Hwang and even Cunha is starting to score a bit nowadays.
We are Wolves ya we..not stinking oil city.
We will always,at the very best,be a bit thin.Goes with the territory.

We might be able to get another Diego Costa over the line here,but it is certainly not worth the hustle is it?

We are in a fine position even if we don´t bring anyone in this window.
My trousers is dry as Saharas desert.
In GON I trust.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's going to take some convincing for him to choose us over Fulham. He doesn't have to move and has a better chance of starting regularly for them. Here he's on the bench when Hwang returns.
He aint leaving west London to sit on our bench.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

if we tire towards the end of the season and get knocked out the cup for being leggy/overworked then it is on the board most definitely, but chill out man.

BORN A WOLF

Reaction score
Time to forget about Boja and the rest of the linked potential signings.
Depending on how tonights game develops our new CF may be unveiled againt Man u.
If that oppertunity appears, I wish you all the very best young Wolf.

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
I actually think we need Broja we've had no one really since Raul, and I could see him doing what Raul did earlier on in his wolves career.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you gladly have a dig at posters when O'Neil has said the same thing? Genuine question, by the way.

O'Neil has said time and time again that the squad is not how he would like, and that we are short for attacking options. Is he a pant wetter? Should he have the banner out tonight?
He's getting on with the job and not moaning like a spoiled child in a toy store.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Which makes it even more baffling we sent him there especially with German teams interested. His value will tank now, we'll be lucky you get anywhere near £10m for him now imo
On his current form I am doubtful he would look good in League 1. There's no way he would play much in Germany.

You do realize how much better the German league is than the SPL, right?

Playing in the SPL for Rangers should be free.

Back
Top Bottom