Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still may end up someone.... might not necessarily be a striker but a forward or wide forward.... especially when the last few days merry go round starts with clubs and loans etc....

This was my expectation for the window any way and fits our style of play. I think the lights are still on at Compton and they are looking to do a deal or two.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We really need to get a striker in between now and the end of the window if we don't we are taking a huge risk one we didn't need to do if we just kept one of either Fabio Silva or Sasa Kalajdzic they both might not have long term futures here but with the financial situation one should have stayed here until a replacement was found and then look to move them on in the summer if needed...

We have been very fortunate with injuries this season if that changes second half of the season we could be in a bit of bother!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've got no ambition for Wolves and you're happy to do nothing.

They weren't getting minutes because players stayed fit. We're a Cunha or Hwang injury from being in real trouble, and I don't think O'Neil would start Fraser.

To me, this is very similar to the 2022 January window where we shot ourselves in the foot for no reason by giving Traore away to Barcelona.

Our season derailed after that. We got 17 points from 17 games.

We were 8th in the table, 4 points off the Champions League with a game in hand after beating Brentford in January.

I'm not saying we would've made Europe that year, but we had no ambition, we let a key player leave for nothing and we tailed off.

Now, I'm not saying we'll make Europe, but if we don't sign a striker after letting two leave, we're not even trying, and I expect our season to become nothing.

Can't we at least try on our restricted budget? Is it too much to ask to have a natural striker at the club beyond an 18-year-old who Shrewsbury want to sign?

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but it's far too much of a burden on Hwang/Cunha/Neto.
I think the scale of ambition comes down to looking past the short term. Hobbs said in his interviews he tries to plan several windows in advance. Regardless there's still a week left in the window, of course I want us to sign a more senior striker, I'm just not as blinded to say that not overpaying for a striker comes down to a lack of ambition, I think that's a very shortsighted thing to say to be honest.

January is a notoriously awkward window to do business in. Yes, we spent a massive amount last January, but it also meant we spent the entire summer transfer window paying for it.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might work better if you hadn't let 2 strikers go out on loan maybe?
It's also a message to your existing strikers that your happy to flog them to death.

There is that!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was my expectation for the window any way and fits our style of play. I think the lights are still on at Compton and they are looking to do a deal or two.
I would think the term deals that are not financially possible we be the obligation side of loans or options that turn into obligations....what they probably mean is they don't want to commit to something that they will be obligated to take in this FFP period, by end of June 24......

They might get not want to put us in a position similar to last summer where we HAVE to rise funds urgently....that's all .....

I think the only 2 we have done a lot of work in signing is Etikike and Broja myself.....might have enquired about a loan for Ings, but I would guess as we stand today he isn't even available at this point....

So we may just nw look at straight loans for the remainder of the season....

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still may end up someone.... might not necessarily be a striker but a forward or wide forward.... especially when the last few days merry go round starts with clubs and loans etc....

That's another option. If no 9s are available on the right deal, get another in that can play wide, with Cunha and Hwang the options down the middle.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t think we will
Chelsea want too much for Borja and will only want an obligation to buy
Etikite seems to want better than wolves
Adams staying at Southampton they wouldn’t loan him anyway
Ings a possibility but again would West Ham agree to a loan?
Surely we're scouting 100's of players, though?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is it 'hysteria' when I moan on here, when I'm literally echoing what Gary O'Neil has said?

Gary O'Neil on Sasa Kalajdzic: "Sasa is still firmly part of the plans at the moment. He's a consideration every time we pick at team and every time we make a sub. At this moment in time, with the numbers we have, Sasa definitely won't be going anywhere."

Sasa, who 'definitely won't be going anywhere', went to Frankfurt.

Gary O'Neil on our squad in late October: "To be honest, I'm a bit worried about squad depth. We do have a small squad at this moment and we'll hopefully look to address a couple areas in January."

Our manager, who was 'worried about squad depth' has since lost two players who were regularly on the bench.
Our 'small squad' has not addressed a 'couple of areas in January'. In fact, they've done nothing.

So, if you disagree, fine. But I'm with Gary O'Neil. The squad is too small and we shouldn't have let Sasa leave without signing a replacement.

If you think me and Gary O'Neil are wrong, absolutely fair enough, that's your opinion. But please stop acting like I'm demanding big-money signings.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the scale of ambition comes down to looking past the short term. Hobbs said in his interviews he tries to plan several windows in advance. Regardless there's still a week left in the window, of course I want us to sign a more senior striker, I'm just not as blinded to say that not overpaying for a striker comes down to a lack of ambition, I think that's a very shortsighted thing to say to be honest.

January is a notoriously awkward window to do business in. Yes, we spent a massive amount last January, but it also meant we spent the entire summer transfer window paying for it.

You're doing it again. I have not asked us to overpay. I have said we shouldn't have let Sasa go until a replacement came in. But, if we do, we have to be sure that we do get a replacement in and there are many, many options out there that aren't overpriced.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're doing it again. I have not asked us to overpay. I have said we shouldn't have let Sasa go until a replacement came in. But, if we do, we have to be sure that we do get a replacement in and there are many, many options out there that aren't overpriced.
Sasa didn't want to be here, I don't think there was any point in keeping somebody who would have become a potentially negative influence in the squad. He also played 159 minutes in our first 20 games.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we just have to wait and see. There is no point over paying, it may be a bit of a bluff or clubs and players may have been taking the micky.

With our relative over performance, coupled with three weak teams in the relegation spots - and the threat of more points deductions for Everton and Forest - I just think the are aware its not a big deal to go with what we have, and keep Fraser around the squad.

We have Bellegarde, Neto, and Sarabia who could play with either Hwang or Cuhnia in two if they had to.

Its fine, lets see what happens

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa didn't want to be here, I don't think there was any point in keeping somebody who would have become a potentially negative influence in the squad. He also played 159 minutes in our first 20 games.

He wanted to play games. There's nothing at all to back up that he would be a 'potentially negative influence' and it's pretty disrespectful thing for you to claim.

His attitude has been praised consistently by O'Neil and Hwang has praised him in a recent video shared, whilst Wolves players still comment on his Instagram post, with Joao Gomes, for example, commenting 'miss you'. So for you to question his professionalism and character is pretty out of order and the limited evidence we have goes completely against what you claim.

You're obviously right about the minutes, but O'Neil clearly didn't want him to go without a replacement by his comments. So, you think O'Neil is wrong, fair enough.

Reaction score
Would be interesting to know the exact quote of what Gaz actually said in the press conference. There’s a subtle but important difference between “I won’t sign anyone” and “I won’t sign *just* anyone / any old person.” Sadly, probably the same outcome for us this window either way.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Poor Gaz been asking for a number 9 for months now. Better start trusting Fraser and using him from now on

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know the exact quote of what Gaz actually said in the press conference. There’s a subtle but important difference between “I won’t sign anyone” and “I won’t sign *just* anyone / any old person.” Sadly, probably the same outcome for us this window either way.
It was the latter.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a combination of poor finances but costly preferred options. Broja - big fee, Ings - huge wage, Ekiteke - big wage, Adams - free in 6 months.

Just seems, and I'm happy to wait and see, but really poor planning on our part.

Our finances, surely would have been known and also got better with some of the outgoings. But we've let two strikers go (I get the minutes argument) but not brought anyone in.

Just think, if we're that close finances wise, we need to ensure we're covered with a Sasa or Fabio still here until we get one in.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well we have to next thursday, i was told that compton very busy hobbs etc recruitment team,

but equally that GON and teams focus was solely on west brom first then manure

Wolves have suffered a setback in their pursuit of a striker signing this month, with boss Gary O’Neil revealing targets have been ruled out on financial grounds.

O’Neil is keen to add a centre forward to his ranks after Sasa Kalajdzic and Fabio Silva left on loan. But with a week remaining in the transfer window, O’Neil hinted strongly today the chances of adding a forward have receded in recent days:

“Me, (sporting director) Matt Hobbs and the recruitment team have done an awful lot of work on a couple of options and, after a meeting yesterday, it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us at this point. So we are back to looking at other options that we might be able to do.

“Obviously that's disappointing, firstly, because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple but it looks like they're not going to be doable to us.”

O’Neil will get leading scorer Hwang Hee-chan back from Asian Cup duty at some point next month with the South Korean having played as a makeshift No.9 for much of this season.

But with Kalajdzic and Silva joining Eintracht Frankfurt and Rangers respectively, teenager Nathan Fraser is currently O’Neil’s only recognised central striker with record signing Matheus Cunha having been reinvented as a wide player.

O’Neil insisted he is relaxed about the possibility of no additions:

“I don't want it to be seen as a negative because the group that we have has given us so much so far and I’m delighted to keep working with them.

“I'm not just going to sign anybody, it's not going to be like ‘we need a nine, so we'll take whatever we can get."

“We need to take people that deserve the opportunity to play for Wolves.

“January's tricky, prices are sometimes inflated and people don't want to lose their good players.

“So if we can't find ones that help us and can't find ones that I think are credible to play for Wolverhampton Wanderers, then we will go with what we've got, which is fine.”

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wanted to play games. There's nothing at all to back up that he would be a 'potentially negative influence' and it's pretty disrespectful thing for you to claim.

His attitude has been praised consistently by O'Neil and Hwang has praised him in a recent video shared, whilst Wolves players still comment on his Instagram post, with Joao Gomes, for example, commenting 'miss you'. So for you to question his professionalism and character is pretty out of order and the limited evidence we have goes completely against what you claim.

You're obviously right about the minutes, but O'Neil clearly didn't want him to go without a replacement by his comments. So, you think O'Neil is wrong, fair enough.
Disrespectful and out of order? Calm down, it's a forum. I happen to disagree with you throwing your toys out of the pram because we haven't yet signed a striker. Get over it.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should sign Borja for £45 million immediately to appease some fans. He can be back up to Hwang, we’ll finish 10th as we probably would have anyway.

We’ll fail FFP, in 24/25 lose 10 points and get relegated.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow that is a concerning quote for many reasons.

Why on earth are we looking at players and then deciding on January 24th we can't afford them?
Probably because the selling/ loaning clubs have now made their prices clear, and the agents have made the payers demands clear as well.
If selling clubs won’t offer, say, loans with options, I doubt we are going to proceed.
If players like Ings want £150k per week and WHU expect a loan fee and to pay all his wages, I doubt we are going to proceed.
We may have been negotiating for a while but if there is an impasse that may have only just become final.
Also, maybe we were hoping for a couple of Million for Jonny and for someone else to take him on on his wages, but just this week we have had to cancel his contract and maybe pay him the difference between his current salary and his new salary?

Last edited:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't buy the 'should have kept Fabio/Sasa' argument. If they aren't getting minutes and GON doesn't fancy them you may as well have Fraser as your back up striker. We've got 5 players in the squad that can play in a front 3 and when Hwang gets back we'll have 6. Unless you can find a bargain loan who fits in with our style of play then what's the point of bringing someone in for the sake of it?

Even if we had signed Ings or Adams they would have been nothing more than a back up so once again, you may as well have Fraser there and save the wages to the summer. Chelsea are playing silly buggers over Broja so that's a non starter, we wouldn't pay Wilson's wages in this window even if he'd come and Ekitike obviously wants to go to the Bundesliga.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should sign Borja for £45 million immediately to appease some fans. He can be back up to Hwang, we’ll finish 10th as we probably would have anyway.

We’ll fail FFP, in 24/25 lose 10 points and get relegated.
Sounds perfect, can't wait to slate him on the mix when he forces a cut-price move through to avoid playing in the championship.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON;

“We've done an awful lot of work on a couple of options. We had a meeting yesterday and it looks like they won't be doable for us financially. We're now looking at other options. I won't sign anybody, we need to take people who deserve to play for Wolves." #wwfc

Sounds like Broja is a no go. Not sure who the other option is/was.
might be bluffing to get the price down

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disrespectful and out of order? Calm down, it's a forum. I happen to disagree with you throwing your toys out of the pram because we haven't yet signed a striker. Get over it.
I am calm, but thanks. Was just trying to highlight how your claim was wrong, IMO.

I've said on several occasions, it's your opinion, absolutely fine, you may be right. But please stop saying you disagree with me, because as I said, I'm rehashing what O'Neil has said.

So, you disagree with Gary O'Neil about the state of his squad and his strikers. Say that instead.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am calm, but thanks. Was just trying to highlight how your claim was wrong, IMO.

I've said on several occasions, it's your opinion, absolutely fine, you may be right. But please stop saying you disagree with me, because as I said, I'm rehashing what O'Neil has said.

So, you disagree with Gary O'Neil about the state of his squad and his strikers. Say that instead.

He said he was disappointed, but he didn't say who he was disappointed with, did he? You assumed that it was the club, to suit your agenda.

Back
Top Bottom