Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From Sasa's comments I'm not convinced he wanted to keep fighting for his place. No point keeping an unhappy player when morale in the dressing room is very good at the moment.
Well, that might be true, or it might be that he was happy with 20 mins off the bench every game, given his injuries, but when that was reduced he got frustrated.

And therein lies the point, if we bring in anyone that doesn't fit Gary's plan A, he won't use them- just like he didn't with Sasa and Fabio. So it has to be a player that fully fits plan A.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People have made up their minds about Ings but he'd be perfectly fine as a short term stop gap who is only ever going to be a reserve / sub. I rate Sasa but he didn't suit our style at all, and I thought Silva is still a player of potential - same problem tho. The way GON plays didn't work for either player.

If GON thinks Ings can do a job and it's low risk then go ahead. It's not like we're in desperate need. This is purely as cover so likely some sub appearances unless we have injuries / suspensions.

People refusing Ings but wanting a player who hasn't scored all season / never played in the prem is another way of saying you don't want a known quantity, you want an unknown one. I get that but surely we want a sub who is experienced, capable, probably temporary and quite cheap. In the summer I wouldn't take Ings but it's January and a very different need.

My issue with Ings is injuries more than ability. If we sign him and he can't play due to injury, well that's a total waste of money.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do but a striker has to be signed.
Are we sure of that?

I mean, finally we’re scoring again after several very, very lean years……would hate to see a new player disrupt the chemistry that our players have forged amongst themselves.

Kinda a “ if it’s not broke etc..”

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must have misread my post. And we do have money . Thats why we are still looking.
We have lost over £110 mil last 2 seasons and barely clawed over the FFP line this time round with an £18mil profit tagged on
How do we suddenly have money now?
I know we made some profits on players in the summer but not enough to start a spending spree now,maybe in the summer we can get a bit of head room but this January not a chance and probably not for another 2 seasons in reality unless we sell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have lost over £110 mil last 2 seasons and barely clawed over the FFP line this time round with an £18mil profit tagged on
I know we made some profits on players in the summer but not enough to start a spending spree now,maybe in the summer we can get a bit of head room but this January not a chance and probably not for another 2 seasons in reality unless we sell
We are tight this window, but this summer we are OK. So not "another 2 seasons"

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tight in January yes but at the end of June When the £40 million loss drops off for the 20/21 season and the £11m minimum estimated profit hits 23/24 we are in a very strong position to re-invest in the squad if necessary. I anticipate about £40-£45 million room and any transfer, let’s say £30 million as an example could be amortised over the length of a players contract, so £6m a year over a 5 year contract.

Add in the inevitable big fees, and profit, we’ll recieve for the likes of Neto and all is rosy in the garden. Just tight until the end of June.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We are tight this window, but this summer we are OK. So not "another 2 seasons"
We are still tight right now but will be better in the summer as I understand it.
I don't think this means we will go all out, we have to temper our expectations somewhat. Them days are gone.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tight in January yes but at the end of June When the £40 million loss drops off for the 20/21 season and the £11m minimum estimated profit hits 23/24 we are in a very strong position to re-invest in the squad if necessary. I anticipate about £40-£45 million room and any transfer, let’s say £30 million as an example could be amortised over the length of a players contract, so £6m a year over a 5 year contract.

Add in the inevitable big fees, and profit, we’ll recieve for the likes of Neto and all is rosy in the garden. Just tight until the end of June.
Am I right in thinking that constant amortisation only reduces your available spend eventually year on year?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People have made up their minds about Ings but he'd be perfectly fine as a short term stop gap who is only ever going to be a reserve / sub. I rate Sasa but he didn't suit our style at all, and I thought Silva is still a player of potential - same problem tho. The way GON plays didn't work for either player.

If GON thinks Ings can do a job and it's low risk then go ahead. It's not like we're in desperate need. This is purely as cover so likely some sub appearances unless we have injuries / suspensions.

People refusing Ings but wanting a player who hasn't scored all season / never played in the prem is another way of saying you don't want a known quantity, you want an unknown one. I get that but surely we want a sub who is experienced, capable, probably temporary and quite cheap. In the summer I wouldn't take Ings but it's January and a very different need.

My issue with Ings is injuries more than ability. If we sign him and he can't play due to injury, well that's a total waste of money.
Ings is on almost 150k a week. Even if we paid just 100k of that it is a hell of a lot of money especially if you factor in a potential fee of a few million. At 31 and with his injury record he could never be anythying else than a very expensive stopgap who could easily break down again. His form also has been poor even if he played reasonably well in his last match for WH.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one is suggesting a spending spree . We have let Silva and Sasa go . Two central strikers . They were NOT loaned due to finances , In the summer we lost vast amounts of salaries .

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
More pages of unconfirmed rumours and murmurs with people debating them as feverishly as they were fact. What a waste of time and energy.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Recent body of transfer work is glowingly positive, so they (Hobbs mainly) have my trust to make the right call for the short and medium term.

Might wait until there’s something with substance to start debating virtues of decisions

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea rolling over Middlesbrough not much you can say broja looks alright but standard of the champ team very poor

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ings is on almost 150k a week. Even if we paid just 100k of that it is a hell of a lot of money especially if you factor in a potential fee of a few million. At 31 and with his injury record he could never be anythying else than a very expensive stopgap who could easily break down again. His form also has been poor even if he played reasonably well in his last match for WH.

Reframe his wages as a loan fee - £2m for Ings until the end of the season, assuming there is no obligation, is tremendous value. We simply will not match that in terms of what we are paying for what we are getting. Che Adams would cost £10m for example. Broja will be closer to 30.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reframe his wages as a loan fee - £2m for Ings until the end of the season, assuming there is no obligation, is tremendous value. We simply will not match that in terms of what we are paying for what we are getting. Che Adams would cost £10m for example. Broja will be closer to 30.
I agree on that it's 5 months of 125k not a year

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one is suggesting a spending spree . We have let Silva and Sasa go . Two central strikers . They were NOT loaned due to finances , In the summer we lost vast amounts of salaries .
They were loaned due to finances as confirmed by GO's recent interview. Removing their salaries for the moment obviously gives much more leeway to pay any loanee or two more than would otherwise be the case. I had hoped we would blow Eintracht Frankfurt out of the water re Ekitike because of this.....but even though he has supposedly agreed less than 50k per week with EF we are still apparently unable to turn him which is so very disappointing.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope it’s the same gap between championship and premiership on Sunday
Not gonna be easy at their place. Anyone thinking that is daft. Will be tight and edgy. Up to us to make it happen. They will park the bus like they did against Leeds and won. Make it hard for us to break down. Draw isn’t the end of the world. Under the lights at Molineux

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were loaned due to finances as confirmed by GO's recent interview. Removing their salaries for the moment obviously gives much more leeway to pay any loanee or two more than would otherwise be the case. I had hoped we would blow Eintracht Frankfurt out of the water re Ekitike because of this.....but even though he has supposedly agreed less than 50k per week with EF we are still apparently unable to turn him which is so very disappointing.
Gon alludes to something and confident something will happen still think it links in with Jonny off. That's 3 big wages must be 120k a week between them

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won’t gonna be easy at their place. Anyone thinking that is daft. Will be tight and edgy. Up to us to make it happen. They will park the bus like they did against Leeds and won. Make it hard for us to break down. Draw isn’t the end of the world. Under the lights at Molineux
Difference is we have players like cunha Neto to dribble through and make the difference let's hope

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difference is we have players like cunha Neto to dribble through and make the difference let's hope
Leeds also had some decent players on show. Very quick ones too. They park the bus we will struggle. Cunha Neto Bellegarde I hope have the game of their life. Instant hero’s. Their home form is good. It’s time for us to step up the ante. It will be interesting.

Has Jonny left yet?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I meant was we didn’t need the money per se. Yes we NEEDED it to find replacements . My criticism is they have let two central attackers go without replacements . That makes us weaker . I hope that will be rectified by February because as yet GON hasn’t been bought one player .and he said on arrival a central attacker was his priority. He has lost two !!!

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds also had some decent players on show. Very quick ones too. They park the bus we will struggle. Cunha Neto Bellegarde I hope have the game of their life. Instant hero’s. Their home form is good. It’s time for us to step up the ante. It will be interesting.

Has Jonny left yet?
Will be in Greece by the weekend if everything is all sorted in terms of contract release

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any loan fee would be in addition to his wages which over 5 months could be closer to £3m. He is 32 at the end of the season so as a forward reaching the end of his Premier League career with a long injury record he would offer the club nothing going forward especially as he would still expect high wages presumably. With money apparently so short £3m or so should be spent wisely and ideally on a player we would have a long term interest in.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Now, go there, play, keep developing, and come back in the summer and we expect for him to compete for our team in the Premier League. The plan is the same, he had high potential when we signed him, and it’s been enhanced with what he’s done and the player he’s grown into. Come back in pre-season and fight to get in Gary’s team.”

Mosquera Bueno to fight to replace Dawson in starting line up perhaps?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I meant was we didn’t need the money per se. Yes we NEEDED it to find replacements . My criticism is they have let two central attackers go without replacements . That makes us weaker . I hope that will be rectified by February because as yet GON hasn’t been bought one player .and he said on arrival a central attacker was his priority. He has lost two !!!
Yes agreed it is a huge risk. We have been lucky so far with injuries on the whole compared to many other teams. Lose Cunha, Neto or Hwang for any serious length of time and we are struggling. Fraser obviously is not the answer yet and needs a good loan. The lack of alternatives is putting a lot of physical strain on Cunha in particular.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any loan fee would be in addition to his wages which over 5 months could be closer to £3m. He is 32 at the end of the season so as a forward reaching the end of his Premier League career with a long injury record he would offer the club nothing going forward especially as he would still expect high wages presumably. With money apparently so short £3m or so should be spent wisely and ideally on a player we would have a long term interest in.

3m is peanuts to us, we will get that for Cundle. £3m would be better spent on a long-term target but the chances of them being available right now are basically nil, which makes Ings so appealing. If we are buying potential then we may as well play Fraser and anyone we bring in on loan will cost us more than Ings anyway.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3m is peanuts to us, we will get that for Cundle. £3m would be better spent on a long-term target but the chances of them being available right now are basically nil, which makes Ings so appealing. If we are buying potential then we may as well play Fraser and anyone we bring in on loan will cost us more than Ings anyway.
What about offering Notts County 1m for their goal machine Macaulay Langstaff

27 games
20 goals
5 assists
117 MPG

Low risk, coming into prime years, different option, scores goals, hard working player. Big jump and would still look better than £36m Fabio Silva.

League two, Kightly come from non league did ok in the prem… Risk and reward

Not one penalty in them highlights

dnf14

Reaction score
What about offering Notts County 1m for their goal machine Macaulay Langstaff

27 games
20 goals
5 assists
117 MPG

Low risk, coming into prime years, different option, scores goals, hard working player. Big jump and would still look better than £36m Fabio Silva.

League two, Kightly come from non league did ok in the prem… Risk and reward
117 miles per gallon is pretty appealing...

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, it’s why Chelsea are gambling massively and potentially in the **** if they don’t get in the CL.
They are so so so so so screwed. Their ownership was counting on TV money continuing to explode and instead it's actually contracted a bit adjusted for inflation. They will never ever ever make their money back. It's amazing.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Concrete links we had prior to this window are for two injured players any chance of they being reignited before the end? Dia or durosinimi

Percy said we were very keen on durosimi and we know they will let him go . Medical was pulled on 4th Jan by Frankfurt it's been 20 days surely he's far further on the mend

Boulaye Dia is at the center of the Salernitana market. The Senegalese striker has several admirers around Europe. According to what was reported by Gianluigi Longari for Sportitalia, Dia is the number one target of Lokomotiv Moscow (who will say goodbye to Dzyuba) and Spartak Moscow. The two Russian clubs have set their sights on the striker, who however would prefer the Premier League as his destination. In England, in fact, both Nottingham Forest and West Ham are on the Senegalese team. Between today and tomorrow, at the Granata sports center, there will be a call with Sabatini to define the future of the center forward. Iervolino will also be present.

Back
Top Bottom