Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was four days before the league started, there was a huge focus on this year,” he said.

“In the summer it will be a good opportunity to sit down and take stock of how we’ve done and how we think we can improve things.

“The main driver will always be the financial situation and what we can do in the markets but there won’t be any in-depth discussion about the next three or four years. It’s about making sure what we can do this year and reassess in the summer.”

Saw this from last comments from Gon.

He's got money in summer I can't imagine given our position especially if we beat Brighton we go in unless the right loan option becomes available

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully, it’s for the best that everyone moves on from this sad episode.
Article suggests very minimal fee but will stop the wages till 2026. From the suggestions of article.and no loan as we don't want to pay wages. We want his wages gone. Hopefully that does open up a move for the end of the window for a 9

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio has scored 4 goals for us in 62 appearances.
To be honest goals per appearance ratios mean nothing, especially if a player is coming on around the 90th minute.
The only really valid stat is goals per minutes played, (which would, incidentally, make Bully one of England's most prolific strikers...)

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dave Edwards was a good player for us. Unfortunately he was not a striker which is what people want and we have about £5m for this window if media outlets are correct. May as well bring back a half fit Diego Costa or go with Fraser which would save us some cash. However many fans will be fuming if we don’t get anyone in. The expectations are too high. We aren’t the club we was in 2019. Hobbs words not mine.

Scotland still pick Dykes from QPR. Another cheap alternative off a club that needs the money… We won’t get top class players with a tiny budget for this window. Unfortunately that’s the reality. Broja is not worth the money. Take a risk on someone cheaper who may prove to be a hidden gem.
you’ve come up with some bizarre stuff recently. this is ipad esque!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ekitike was the guy to get on loan imv and I think he was the No.1 target but it seems he is off to Eintracht Frankfurt on a much reduced salary. One way or another he wasn't interested in us or we could not match his financial expectations. Pity as he is the kind of player who potentially could develop into something special.
Broja might be next on the list but I think £25m tops for him in the summer after an initial loan with an option to buy. He definitely has potential and would suit us in many ways. But it seems Chelsea want a minimum of £35m and a guarantee to buy which is unreasonable and simply too much considering his track record thus far plus the ACL injury. Perhaps you could add £5m longer term for goals and appearances achieved but Chelsea being Chelsea I doubt they will budge. West Ham or Fulham may be willing/able to pay that kind of fee.

Apart from these two, taking into account our need to get in a loanee or a very cheap deal of around £5m or so the cupboard looks pretty bare. Adams if he has any sense, will wait till the summer to negotiate a deal for himself and Southampton have every chance of a promotion which might persuade him to stay. He has found a little bit of form recently with the odd goal or two but judging from reports he is also missing a lot which has been the story of much of his career. A trier who will hold the ball up for you and is adaptable but not a player who will raise the level of our squad in any way at all imv. However, if he did come in so be it as a temporary measure. But the heir to Jiminez remains elusive and I think it will almost certainly be the summer before we have the financial firepower to find a quality candidate.

Perhaps a name none of us know will appear 48 hourse before the deadline, that is often the Wolves way. But getting the kind of quality we need on a loan basis is virtually impossible and letting Sasa, in particular, go, wife's pregnancy or not, without a replacement being in place, seems foolhardy to say the least. Fabio had to leave and it is now just a case of how much will the club lose on him eventually. But I put Sasa in a different category.

A certain Diogo Jota today made one and got two goals against Bournemouth . Perhaps we should make an offer.....

Last edited:

tikatyboo

Reaction score
If 8th gets Europe it is a tiny possibility.
But actually winning the cup is probably just as likely a way to get in. And that is also extremely unlikely.

I think this season is about avoiding relegation and developing the players and style/system. Anything else would be a surprise bonus.
about as near to my thoughts as anything ive read.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's hope they have a plan not just for this window but the next . As the next season's expectations will be higher than just staying up won't they . I think this is the 3rd/4th season we still have not recruited a striker as such . Yes Hwang has hit firm and Cunha which is great . But we also know when they are off the boil we look pretty poor up top .

So if mosquera comes back or sasa or Fabio . I don't want one liners from the club saying they need to get up to speed with he premiership pace . As they could have had these opportunities with players away etc to get games in the second half of the season with the pressure off .

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Article suggests very minimal fee but will stop the wages till 2026. From the suggestions of article.and no loan as we don't want to pay wages. We want his wages gone. Hopefully that does open up a move for the end of the window for a 9
Yet another one where letting him go on a free costs us money against PSR this season. In the circumstances though, assuming he's on maybe £4m a year we should let him go if he wants to and we can afford it.

Although actually 6 months wages and 6 months amortization, probably not much difference?

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not really maths is not bizzare

Broja loan with obligation and loan fee he is not worth 30/40m

Ryan Hardie 3/4m proven scorer at champ level and worked his way up. Good work ethic

This window we don’t have the cash, hence why suggesting players from lesser teams at cheaper prices

Hardie 22 games 10 goals 4 assists in a very very poor Plymouth team…. Not as bad as many are making out……

Whittaker & Hardie goals yesterday….

1705866630214.jpeg
Is this you, MEW?

N.B. It does say Pilgrim not Piltdown.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In what world? He has had 2 shots on target in 12 games this season.View attachment 39945
Not this year.. i agree hes played 5 full games in minutes

453 mins

Cunha has played triple the minutes

Broja starts in fa cup and you saw his quality with his head.

Reality is he is coming back from injury but he was looking a quality player before hand

Last edited:

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not this year.. hes played 5 full games in minutes

453 mins

Reality is he is coming back from injury but he was looking a quality player before hand
I agree, he looked like a different player at Southampton... But the prices being bandied about are a bit ridiculous, especially in the current climate where everyone is scrambling to comply with the financial restrictions... Is anyone going to pay £25m let alone the £35m and £50m figures floating around? I have my doubts. More like £18m i suspect.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, he looked like a different player at Southampton... But the prices being bandied about are a bit ridiculous, especially in the current climate where everyone is scrambling to comply with the financial restrictions... Is anyone going to pay £25m let alone the £35m and £50m figures floating around? I have my doubts. More like £18m i suspect.
I think there may be a Home Grown premium as he was born in England and joined Chelsea at 8.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
18m is far 20m with add-ons maybe but certainly not 35m agreed

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not this year.. i agree hes played 5 full games in minutes

453 mins

Reality is he is coming back from injury but he was looking a quality player beforehand
Not for me. My gut feeling is he's another overhyped Chelsea academy player on the way down.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leaving ourselves very vulnerable to injuries and suspensions. We must have one of the lightest squads in terms of senior players now I would have thought. Squad currently weaker in depth than a few weeks ago. Dont understand why we constantly leave ourselves so light on numbers.
Saves cash doe it.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ekitike was the guy to get on loan imv and I think he was the No.1 target but it seems he is off to Eintracht Frankfurt on a much reduced salary. One way or another he wasn't interested in us or we could not match his financial expectations. Pity as he is the kind of player who potentially could develop into something special.
Broja might be next on the list but I think £25m tops for him in the summer after an initial loan with an option to buy. He definitely has potential and would suit us in many ways. But it seems Chelsea want a minimum of £35m and a guarantee to buy which is unreasonable and simply too much considering his track record thus far plus the ACL injury. Perhaps you could add £5m longer term for goals and appearances achieved but Chelsea being Chelsea I doubt they will budge. West Ham or Fulham may be willing/able to pay that kind of fee.

Apart from these two, taking into account our need to get in a loanee or a very cheap deal of around £5m or so the cupboard looks pretty bare. Adams if he has any sense, will wait till the summer to negotiate a deal for himself and Southampton have every chance of a promotion which might persuade him to stay. He has found a little bit of form recently with the odd goal or two but judging from reports he is also missing a lot which has been the story of much of his career. A trier who will hold the ball up for you and is adaptable but not a player who will raise the level of our squad in any way at all imv. However, if he did come in so be it as a temporary measure. But the heir to Jiminez remains elusive and I think it will almost certainly be the summer before we have the financial firepower to find a quality candidate.

Perhaps a name none of us know will appear 48 hourse before the deadline, that is often the Wolves way. But getting the kind of quality we need on a loan basis is virtually impossible and letting Sasa, in particular, go, wife's pregnancy or not, without a replacement being in place, seems foolhardy to say the least. Fabio had to leave and it is now just a case of how much will the club lose on him eventually. But I put Sasa in a different category.

A certain Diogo Jota today made one and got two goals against Bournemouth . Perhaps we should make an offer.....
Diogo was class today.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O'Neil himself said "The opportunities are there [for Yerson] because we are quite light numbers-wise at this moment." And yet you are adamant he would rot on the bench.

Are you calling Gary a liar? Or you think you know better about potential opportunities than Gary does?
Lol what's he going to say? Yeah, there's chances there for him, he'll have to earn it, but he probably won't play."

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Rot on the bench" is such a weird way to view a squad.
How? We talk about game fitness all the time. If he's sitting on the bench, he's not developing. There's a reason big clubs send out their players until they have rotational room for them.

He wasn't going to play here without two injuries. Gary isn't really one to rotate his squad much.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for me. My gut feeling is he's another overhyped Chelsea academy player on the way down.

Many Chelsea academy players have gone on to do fantastic. It's probably the most productive academy in the world. Liverpool academy players are definitely overhyped and overpriced but Chelsea really do develop quality that will never get close to their starting XI and can be picked up for a good bargain if they refuse to sign a contract (not the case with Broja sadly).

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja's goalscoring record is very bad. Surely he doesn't warrant more than 15 million. Doesn't score much and never assists.
I genuinely don’t think Chelsea’s way of playing suits a forward that plays at the top. It’s all very much more about their attacking players taking the ball forward and driving towards the box, most strikers would end up isolated in that and he does too. Not saying he’d be a revelation for us but our emphasis of moving the ball forward quicker opposed to players taking the ball forward would give him more space for opportunities and become a player to play off for the others. Chelsea have some great talent but suffocate themselves by allowing too many players to get in and around the box from the opposition.

That’s my view anyway

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok we are not going for Ings but he was the Motm for West Ham today and that was backed by game stats
Anyone saying he is finished at this level should give there head a wobble

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Ok we are not going for Ings but he was the Motm for West Ham today and that was backed by game stats
Anyone saying he is finished at this level should give there head a wobble

Context important that it was against the worst team in the division but I think your point stands, he'd be a more than adequate stop-gap for 5 months.

It won't happen anyway

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm more glass half empty than most, but I just don't see us being good enough to sustain a push for top 7 this season. Regardless, the likelihood of Mosquera, Silva or Sasa impacting that happening is very low given how little (or no) usage they've had up to now.

Top five in a bubble of their own currently with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa. That leaves two spots. Do we have the quality to finish ahead of Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Man United and Chelsea? Maybe, I'd just expect sides like Brighton and Newcastle to improve after the injury problems they've had in the first half of the season.
Agree with this, a realistic take. Best we can likely hope for this season is a top half finish, which of course, would be very good considering our FFP issues and the shambles that was last summer in terms of a last minute coaching change.

No need to really spend this month (which may then limit us in the forthcoming summer), loans with options would be OK, as they're relatively low risk but we really don't need to. We'll be safe, and assuming we don't have any major injuries, this squad will be continue to be strong at home and hopefully pick up the odd win/draw away from home to keep us ticking over.

Madmalc

Reaction score
I'm not at all sure we're after an out and out number 9.

It might be viewed as placing all your eggs in one basket, after the Jimenez injury and the problems that caused us.

Number 9s are a rare beast, simply because a defence that marks them out of the game stops the opposing team from scoring.

We need another striker to add a different type of threat, I doubt if we've been interested in any of the players we've been linked with, apart from those that fell through last summer.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Talking of # 9's....don't forget the 9 points that VAR owe us (some say 7 points, but I reckon we would have got 3 points at Fulham, if the 2 men sent off, as should have been)...

...this would have us in 6th on 37 points.

Hwang was playing as a 9, before Asia Cup, so another mobile 9 who on the end of Cunha, Neto, Sarabia crosses, can only be good....and who may just be Fraser.

Last edited:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja was more than adequate when at Southampton, but injury has hit his confidence and fitness. It's going to take a run of games and maybe a pre-season to see if he can get back to those levels - he may not.

I really don't mind taking him on loan with a sensible opting to buy, but I suspect it will be too expensive. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more than £20m. I doubt they will go for that, I think there will be better value available in the summer.

I would rather give a lower league player a chance at the big league. Spend £5m-£6m on some up and coming youngster (like the lad from Plymouth) would be much better value, there would be a market in the championship for someone like that if he didn't work out.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja was more than adequate when at Southampton, but injury has hit his confidence and fitness. It's going to take a run of games and maybe a pre-season to see if he can get back to those levels - he may not.

I really don't mind taking him on loan with a sensible opting to buy, but I suspect it will be too expensive. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more than £20m. I doubt they will go for that, I think there will be better value available in the summer.

I would rather give a lower league player a chance at the big league. Spend £5m-£6m on some up and coming youngster (like the lad from Plymouth) would be much better value, there would be a market in the championship for someone like that if he didn't work out.
Probably a fair assessment and bang on with regards Broja....

But I wouldn't see the point in the Plymouth player , if its Hardie you mean...he has never gone for a transfer fee, struggled at Blackpool....doesn't even start week in week out for Plymouth....you would be just chucking 5m m wages down the drain..might as well just give Fraser the minutes...

Last edited:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably a fair assessment and bang on with regards Broja....

But I wouldn't see the point in the Plymouth player , if its Hardie you mean...he has never gone for a transfer fee, struggled at Blackpool....doesn't even start week in week out for Plymouth....you would be just chucking 5m m wages down the drain..might as well just give Fraser the minutes...
I presumed he meant Morgan Whittaker.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people get a bit obsessed with numbers
Most still speak of the fabled 20 goal a season striker
I havent fact checked but i doubt we have had one since Richards in the top level
Most of our strikers historically have averaged about 0.3 goals per game thats like 12 goals a season,so slagging strikers off because they only scored 10 last season or whatever is stupid 10-15 is about a decent average unless your a top top striker like Haaland or Kane

Back
Top Bottom