Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not that people don't want the luxury of having that cover, it's weighing up the benefits of having a player out on loan playing regularly playing at a top level versus them sitting on our bench as an insurance and not continuing their development. We aren't a top six club with endless riches, so we need to develop these types of players to be future starters, or at the very least provide a substantial profit.

The reality of the situation is we're on 28 points and sitting very comfortably without even factoring in possible further points deductions to two clubs, so we can afford to take risks like this, and the Sasa and Silva loans, in order for them to get minutes and either come back to play for us, or put themselves in the shop window.

I think the club are taking a very pragmatic approach towards this transfer window, and looking forward to next season, where we can really catapult ourselves back into European competition with FFP being less of a problem.
Yeah I accept that, I worded it badly I don’t actually think anyone wants us to have zero cover. Some people would just like us to have more than others. My 2 cents is that I was comfortable with 4 CB’s at the end of August when we were playing a back 4. With us regularly playing 3 centre backs, I think 5 would be ideal. More pressing is another option up front, imo.

I know we have to be pragmatic, but we also need to remember that if we beat Brighton tomorrow we are level on points with them, then what’s to say we couldn’t be in the hunt for Europe this season? So far we’ve actively weakened our squad imo unnecessarily, but I’m hopeful we will get one or two new faces in.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
35m is bonkers with his recent injury record and cannot see anybody touching him at anywhere near that.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Can see the last couple of days of the window being a bit manic. It’s been a very, very quiet window so far but some teams need to offload players and it might happen last minute.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I accept that, I worded it badly I don’t actually think anyone wants us to have zero cover. Some people would just like us to have more than others. My 2 cents is that I was comfortable with 4 CB’s at the end of August when we were playing a back 4. With us regularly playing 3 centre backs, I think 5 would be ideal. More pressing is another option up front, imo.

I know we have to be pragmatic, but we also need to remember that if we beat Brighton tomorrow we are level on points with them, then what’s to say we couldn’t be in the hunt for Europe this season? So far we’ve actively weakened our squad imo unnecessarily, but I’m hopeful we will get one or two new faces in.
Perhaps I'm more glass half empty than most, but I just don't see us being good enough to sustain a push for top 7 this season. Regardless, the likelihood of Mosquera, Silva or Sasa impacting that happening is very low given how little (or no) usage they've had up to now.

Top five in a bubble of their own currently with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa. That leaves two spots. Do we have the quality to finish ahead of Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Man United and Chelsea? Maybe, I'd just expect sides like Brighton and Newcastle to improve after the injury problems they've had in the first half of the season.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm more glass half empty than most, but I just don't see us being good enough to sustain a push for top 7 this season. Regardless, the likelihood of Mosquera, Silva or Sasa impacting that happening is very low given how little (or no) usage they've had up to now.

Top five in a bubble of their own currently with Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa. That leaves two spots. Do we have the quality to finish ahead of Brighton, Newcastle, West Ham, Man United and Chelsea? Maybe, I'd just expect sides like Brighton and Newcastle to improve after the injury problems they've had in the first half of the season.
If 8th gets Europe it is a tiny possibility.
But actually winning the cup is probably just as likely a way to get in. And that is also extremely unlikely.

I think this season is about avoiding relegation and developing the players and style/system. Anything else would be a surprise bonus.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely no way on earth will we pay £35 million for Broja. I don’t think anyone will. Chelsea are on the waccy baccy if they actually think he’s worth £50 million

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja's goalscoring record is very bad. Surely he doesn't warrant more than 15 million. Doesn't score much and never assists.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
What type of striker is Broja? Sasa has been loaned out because he couldn’t fit the system, Will Broja?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On one hand you don't want a striker that's scored in the prem, fits the profile we're looking for, and is available, but on the other hand, you want to sign some random dude from the bottom half of the championship

Bizarre
Not really maths is not bizzare

Broja loan with obligation and loan fee he is not worth 30/40m

Ryan Hardie 3/4m proven scorer at champ level and worked his way up. Good work ethic

This window we don’t have the cash, hence why suggesting players from lesser teams at cheaper prices

Hardie 22 games 10 goals 4 assists in a very very poor Plymouth team…. Not as bad as many are making out……

Whittaker & Hardie goals yesterday….

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am absolutely a glass half empty kinda guy, as most of my posts show! I absolutely agree it’s extremely unlikely that we end up in the European places. I just don’t like the narrative of “ah well we’ve already done better than we thought so it doesn’t matter if we loan X out or don’t get Y in”.

Our home form is excellent and we’ve played 7 of the current top 10 at home already, so never say never. But I agree, it’s unlikely.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found on the grasshoppers site that lonwijk was sent back due to a torn muscle fibre whatever that means.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Less than a handful of Premier league teams have paid money out to bring someone in so far this window.
Maybe there's a new game in town?
Possibly a game of don't let those facing FFP issues this season off the hook.
I doubt Chelsea will be able to off load Broja to anyone in the Premier League before the 1st of July..

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 8th gets Europe it is a tiny possibility.
But actually winning the cup is probably just as likely a way to get in. And that is also extremely unlikely.

I think this season is about avoiding relegation and developing the players and style/system. Anything else would be a surprise bonus.
Do you know what would have to happen for 8th to get Europe? Is it all English clubs winning European competitions, or just some?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really maths is not bizzare

Broja loan with obligation and loan fee he is not worth 30/40m

Ryan Hardie 3/4m proven scorer at champ level and worked his way up. Good work ethic

This window we don’t have the cash, hence why suggesting players from lesser teams at cheaper prices

Hardie 22 games 10 goals 4 assists in a very very poor Plymouth team…. Not as bad as many are making out……

Whittaker & Hardie goals yesterday….

He is that good Hardie, he has been moved about and never gone for a transfer fee....

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What type of striker is Broja? Sasa has been loaned out because he couldn’t fit the system, Will Broja?

I really think he’d be a great fit for this current Wolves team, providing a focal point for our attacks. He is not the sort of forward a team like Chelsea needs, given they are frequently faced with a blanket of defenders. He needs to regain his confidence, mostly due to injuries and partly due to a lack of playing time, but if he stays fit, he becomes our 12-15 goal a season striker. £35m, to much risk, but £25m with add-ons, I’d gamble, if FFP allows.

Back
Top Bottom