Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be a real slap in the face if Frankfurt get him and Sasa rides the bench there.
Theyd play sasa off him, they are after two.

But even still unlikely it will be wolfsburg, right now its wolves v frankfurt, from what i gather.

West ham more focused on a wide forward like jack clarke

Madmalc

Reaction score
9 out of our outfield players have scored so far this season. The 2 regulars yet to score are Semedo and RAN. No doubt their turn will come.
I'm not sure we need an out and out striker to add boring predictability to our forward line?
I prefer goals from all over the team.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
9 out of our outfield players have scored so far this season. The 2 regulars yet to score are Semedo and RAN. No doubt their turn will come.
I'm not sure we need an out and out striker to add boring predictability to our forward line?
And those from our ex team players. :D

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The wages portion of the whole FFP ratio is often overlooked.

In our case, it was why the summer was so crucial - not only raising funds, but moving on the high earners either in, or approaching, the twilight of their careers.
Exactly this. The summer “reset” got some big earners off the wage bill especially ones who weren’t really contributing any more. It’s why we’re desperately trying to offload Johnny as the last big wage earner who doesn’t contribute

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. The summer “reset” got some big earners off the wage bill especially ones who weren’t really contributing any more. It’s why we’re desperately trying to offload Johnny as the last big wage earner who doesn’t contribute
We’ve been resetting and transitioning since 2021

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn’t thrilled about the idea of Adams in the summer and if there were more danger of going down I’d be worrying but he seems a pretty low risk option now that might have an upside if he can find a similar uplift in front of goal as Hwang (they seem pretty similar imv) in this system.

I can understand with Ings too as, for the same reason, we can afford to take a risk on his lack of form and injury worries if we get a decent deal from West Ham wanting shut of him.

Both fit the profile of forwards who can defend from the front and run in behind, I’d assume them both becoming cup-tied has lessened any urgency from us whilst we wait and see how Etikeke (and any other potential loan to buy options) pan out.

I suspect they’ll be a few clubs having a fire sale, or at least tightening their belts, in the summer so we might as well put ourselves in the best place to take advantage of that.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I heard - a few days back - from someone very well positioned:

- Forest are slinging poop at every other club in the bottom half (about FFP), as they're very likely to get a points deduction and want to take everyone down with them.
- Our books are fine, as they stand, but there is a real reluctance to risk them by spending in this FFP year.
- Palace are very very nervous about FFP. Chelsea too, although that's of a wage thing.
- Everton might get hit again. More likely to be docked additional points than it is that they recoup any points.
- Loans are the way for most clubs this January, with any purchases deferred until this accounting period is finished.

So it's probably going to be quiet for a lot of clubs who dread getting dragged in to the FFP furore.

So Ive heard anyway
Feels like the bottom 14 are gong to become a Champioship mk2

Always skint, relying on loans and cast offs from above
Occasional flirtation with the top 8 / Europe

TV money now seems to just about cover wages of a mid table PL team. Spending beyond is a gamble not worth taking.

The top 6 have well and truly closed the shop without actually closing the shop.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

TV money now seems to just about cover wages of a mid table PL team. Spending beyond is a gamble not worth taking.

The top 6 have well and truly closed the shop without actually closing the shop.
It does very much feel like that. What’s the point? Chelsea can go out and spend close to a billion pounds in a few windows. They’ll space any FFP trouble because they’ll just sell a load of their players from their massive squad.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Agree but it seems to be affecting the top 6 now as well

Chelsea self inflicted overspend so now will need to sell before they buy

Man u the same, wasted money on players who are not worth what they bought them for, and will need a clearing of the decks the same as us to look at any future substantial transfers

Newcastle unable to sign anyone and need to sell first, even with their 10 injuries are not signing anyone yet.

Arsenal we keep being told have no money left after the big spending the last couple of years and would have to sell to bring in any high value signings

Liverpool i dont know about to be honest

Man city have an ever revolving door of youth being sold. Sell 5 kids, bring in 2 big signings a year, rinse and repeat

Brighton have sold well and have huge capacity to spend based on ffp calculations. however even they arent exactly splashing the cash this winter even though their league form has been hit and miss so far

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“This saga shouldn’t drag for long, though, with L’Equipe claiming that the next few days should be decisive, especially with PSG trying to sort the situation out quickly.”
Could be that Frankfurt are upping their interest in Ekitike to put pressure on Kalimuendo to sign who is, apparently, their preferred option.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done. Sellars got us into this mess. Thankfully Hobbs stepped up….. We are very very lucky to escape what happened to Everton
I don’t think it was luck, our gap to bridge was easy as we had a) players others wanted b) the players we got rid of on the whole didn’t affect us that much. Everton didn’t have either of those luxuries.

Not sure Sellars was the whole problem or Hobbs the whole solution. We made some bad buys and we made some bad decisions in the past by not selling players when we should have. However hindsight is a wonderful thing, had we have sold Traore and Jiminez for big money 3 years ago this place would have gone into meltdown. It’s a cautionary position for those dead set against cashing in on Neto etc. the only way it works for us is we buy relatively cheap and sell players at peak value. It’s why we should sell Neto this summer and Joao Gomes the summer after and make sure we keep the wheels turning.

Kennedy

Reaction score
I'm away skiing with very little network so please excuse me but can someone update me:

What's happening with Leminas brother?
When is the Brentford replay?
Any rumoured bids for Neto or anyone else?
Danny Ings?
The PSG lad?
Any credible links to anyone else?

I've tried catching up on the thread but I'm like 50 pages behind now and I've only got WiFi for about half an hour.

Thanks in advance and up the mighty wolves.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm away skiing with very little network so please excuse me but can someone update me:

What's happening with Leminas brother?
When is the Brentford replay?
Any rumoured bids for Neto or anyone else?
Danny Ings?
The PSG lad?
Any credible links to anyone else?

I've tried catching up on the thread but I'm like 50 pages behind now and I've only got WiFi for about half an hour.

Thanks in advance and up the mighty wolves.
Noha lemina, no current news, but mario still with family, still looks likely, but no news yet

16th Tuesday 7.30pm
No
Ings likely to stay at west ham, links, but they have injuries
links to hugo but bundesliga clubs seems to be leading ways
credible links to che adams

Kennedy

Reaction score
Noha lemina, no current news, but mario still with family, still looks likely, but no news yet

16th Tuesday 7.30pm
No
Ings likely to stay at west ham, links, but they have injuries
links to hugo but bundesliga clubs seems to be leading ways
credible links to che adams
Thank you, so pretty quiet then.

Not sure about Adams but we do need a forward and if the price is right...

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While the PSG paid the sum of 36 M € this summer to acquire it, being obliged to exercise a purchase option following a loan, Hugo Ekitike is now considered "Persona non grata" at PSG. He has been excluded from all competitions by Luis Enrique since the start of the season, and the club is actively looking for an exit door for the player during this winter mercato.

Announced in England and Germany for several weeks, a club took action according to the daily The Team and made an offer. It was the Germans of Wolfsburg who sent a proposal with a paid loan, but without an option to buy the key. This offer does not completely satisfy PSG, which hopes that it will awaken the competition, with clubs like Frankfurt or Wolverhampton also positioned on the player.

PSG want an obligation

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
While the PSG paid the sum of 36 M € this summer to acquire it, being obliged to exercise a purchase option following a loan, Hugo Ekitike is now considered "Persona non grata" at PSG. He has been excluded from all competitions by Luis Enrique since the start of the season, and the club is actively looking for an exit door for the player during this winter mercato.

Announced in England and Germany for several weeks, a club took action according to the daily The Team and made an offer. It was the Germans of Wolfsburg who sent a proposal with a paid loan, but without an option to buy the key. This offer does not completely satisfy PSG, which hopes that it will awaken the competition, with clubs like Frankfurt or Wolverhampton also positioned on the player.

PSG want an obligation
That good news for us ?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

PSG want an obligation
Rumour was they always wanted an Option to buy which ruled the German clubs out because of his wages....

Obligation you may get him cheaper.......the rumoured fee is 15m , if you agree to take him...

It might be 20/25 if you want a look first...

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So that is guaranteed to continue? And if Cunha or Hwang get injured/suspended? Of course we need a CF and fast. O'Neill knows it, anyone sane knows it. Since the Jimenez injury we have been crying out for a replacement. In fact I think we need two out and out strikers. 'Boring predictability'?! Like Haaland for instance. Jesus wept.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be a real slap in the face if Frankfurt get him and Sasa rides the bench there.
Absolutely. They hit the jackpot, we are left totally bereft scrapping at the last minute for fith choices like Adams. Pregnancy or no pregnancy we could have waited to get in a proper replacement before letting Sasa go. Now the pressure is quite unnecessarily all on us. A couple of bad results and the complacency shown by many here will dissipate very quickly indeed. We need two attackers and fast.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think we'd want an obligation for Ekitike. He has only had one good season. Could be another Cutrone
Ideally not but we have reportedly been on his tail for some two years. There must be a large dossier on him. Any signing is a risk and I don't think PSG will want a huge fee in striker terms. Perhaps 20m euros or under? And not till the summer.

dnf14

Reaction score

PSG want an obligation
The article says nothing about them wanting an obligation to buy just they had had an obligation after his loan from Reims.
Wolfsburg offered a loan without a view to become permanent.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
last on this hugo saga i think for the day.

Implying wolves are the most interesting place for hugo to want to go, but that its all journo links. Ie we have not even come in with any suggestion of offer. And just linked literally, which genuinely could be just the mendes psg factor

Back
Top Bottom