Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The article says nothing about them wanting an obligation to buy just they had had an obligation after his loan from Reims.
Wolfsburg offered a loan without a view to become permanent.
oan, but without an option to buy the key. This offer does not completely satisfy PSG

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Che purchase right now I'd imagine would be the preferred option as he'd be half the price. Though an obligation to buy Hugo at 15m isn't bad tbh. Even a couple of goals between now and the end of the season would mean he'd hold that value.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Che purchase right now I'd imagine would be the preferred option as he'd be half the price. Though an obligation to buy Hugo at 15m isn't bad tbh. Even a couple of goals between now and the end of the season would mean he'd hold that value.
There is no comparison between these two players in terms of potential for the team and possible future transfer value. Adams would be cheap transfer fee wise. That's it. But of course we would be committed to a four year contract for essentially a Championship level player who has little to offer in terms of Premier League quality. Ekitike is a bit of an unknown quantity still but PSG bought him for big money originally because he has, at 21, amazing potential to come good and imv would fit in perfectly with our system He has real pace for starters and would dovetail well with Cunha in particular. Also at 6ft 2 offers some presence up front. But hey ho this is Wolves and I am expecting us to be more likely to end up with third or fourth choices like Adams consolidating the sense that this season expectations remain very low indeed with avoiding relegation considered a high point..

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just an idle thought but some of the Stade Rennes players made a very good impression in the pre- season friendly despite their defeat after we had played really well.

Desire Doue their 18/19 year old prospect is a great winger and striker Kalimuendo looked good too. The latter was due to be going to Eintracht Frankfurt recently but I think there has been some kind of a glitsch. It was a loan deal with an option to purchase I believe.
There have been no links with us but the kind of very promising young French players you would hope our scouts keep tabs on and who we saw in a favourable light at Molineux. Summer buy prospects if we have some dosh by then?

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no comparison between these two players in terms of potential for the team and possible future transfer value. Adams would be cheap transfer fee wise. That's it. But of course we would be committed to a four year contract for essentially a Championship level player who has little to offer in terms of Premier League quality. Ekitike is a bit of an unknown quantity still but PSG bought him for big money originally because he has, at 21, amazing potential to come good and imv would fit in perfectly with our system He has real pace for starters and would dovetail well with Cunha in particular. Also at 6ft 2 offers some presence up front. But hey ho this is Wolves and I am expecting us to be more likely to end up with third or fourth choices like Adams consolidating the sense that this season expectations remain very low indeed with avoiding relegation considered a high point..
how would Adams be a four year contract?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
9 out of our outfield players have scored so far this season. The 2 regulars yet to score are Semedo and RAN. No doubt their turn will come.
I'm not sure we need an out and out striker to add boring predictability to our forward line?
I prefer goals from all over the team.
I agree to a point but I‘d love us to have an in form Raul again or an equivalent.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton have sold well and have huge capacity to spend based on ffp calculations. however even they arent exactly splashing the cash this winter even though their league form has been hit and miss so far

They are still making moves to find the next player they can sell to Chelsea for an exorbitant fee, signing Argentinian wonderkid Valentin Barco from Boca for 8 million

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's pretty standard nowadays. Perhaps three with an option for an extra year but no player at a pivotal 27 in his career is going to accept a shorter contract than that.
we are assuming we want him long term, that we are actually in for him and that Southampton will sell him.

Much ado about nothing, and i never understand the worry over rumour!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be Etikike, if he wants to come as it will be loan option, obligation...no fee till next summer..

We may not have the funds available for Che Adams.....can see Southampton playing a bit of hard ball with a fee. .....yes he is out of contract in the summer ...but they probably won't need to sell as they have a chance of top 2.....they may also play on us being a bit short of numbers ...the fee maybe close to 8/10m which realistically we may not be able to do ...

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be Etikike, if he wants to come as it will be loan option, obligation...no fee till next summer..

We may not have the funds available for Che Adams.....can see Southampton playing a bit of hard ball with a fee. .....yes he is out of contract in the summer ...but they probably won't need to sell as they have a chance of top 2.....they may also play on us being a bit short of numbers ...the fee maybe close to 8/10m which realistically we may not be able to do ...
I wouldn’t sell in Southampton’s shoes and if i did i’d want big money. there’s no reason to sell him.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t sell in Southampton’s shoes and if i did i’d want big money. there’s no reason to sell him.
Exactly I think they will play hard ball.....They won't be short as they had a few big sakes in the previous summer....

But he may want out ...which may change the dynamics...bit we will have a limit on what we can spend this January..that's why we are preferring loans, loan option. It's no secret ...

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good. He isn't worth that much. Nor is Ings even if available, and if Ekitike prefers West Ham or Germany then fine. We can give Fraser a few minutes and wait until the summer.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A Championship player, who's proved he can score goals in the EPL.
Etitike may well be the better player but that's an opinion, given he's got age on his side but he's done nothing to date.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good. He isn't worth that much. Nor is Ings even if available, and if Ekitike prefers West Ham or Germany then fine. We can give Fraser a few minutes and wait until the summer.
I would prefer one more, as i think we are leaving ourselves wide open.
hugely mindful of our FFP situation though.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Championship player, who's proved he can score goals in the EPL.
Etitike may well be the better player but that's an opinion, given he's got age on his side but he's done nothing to date.
Is it one goal in five for Adams in the Premier League? His best was nine goals in 36 games in 2020-21. Not disastrous but not great either. He has some experience which is a plus but will he take us forward in quality terms-no. As Hobbs said we only want to bring in players who are better or potentially better than what we already have. Ekitike falls in that potential category...but of course there are no guarantees he can make it at Premier League level.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it one goal in six for Adams in the Premier League? He has some experience which is a plus but will he take us forward in quality terms-no. As Hobbs said we only want to bring in players who are better or potentially better than what we already have. Ekitike falls in that potential category...but of course there are no guarantees he can make it at Premier League level.
what’s the source for Adams this window? Any idea? Or is it typical tabloid nonsense?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it one goal in six for Adams in the Premier League? He has some experience which is a plus but will he take us forward in quality terms-no. As Hobbs said we only want to bring in players who are better or potentially better than what we already have. Ekitike falls in that potential category...but of course there are no guarantees he can make it at Premier League level.
Although we are bit a short at the minute, I think we are in a position to gamble a bit on a player potential....with all our current forward options scoring or performing to a decent level it's not such a crisis.......I've no doubt Che Adams initially or short term like for January and February would probably be a better option than Ekitike....But I think we can look a bit further than that. ..As you say he probably has the potential to be the better of longer term option, financially and for the team......Hwang , Cunha and Ekitike could be a great combination for a couple of seasons....

loppers86

Reaction score
if we are to settle for becoming a selling club then under no account should we be buying Che Adams. thats both boring and won’t make a profit.

the likes of Ekitike fit the business model much better and also provide some degree of hope and entertainment to boost next season’s ticket sales.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it one goal in five for Adams in the Premier League? His best was nine goals in 36 games in 2020-21. Not disastrous but not great either. He has some experience which is a plus but will he take us forward in quality terms-no. As Hobbs said we only want to bring in players who are better or potentially better than what we already have. Ekitike falls in that potential category...but of course there are no guarantees he can make it at Premier League level.
He slots right into the system and works for what we need now, on a short term deal, and before you say 'four year deal is a stanard', no, no it is not at all, I don't know why you keep peddling that.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He slots right into the system and works for what we need now, on a short term deal, and before you say 'four year deal is a stanard', no, no it is not at all, I don't know why you keep peddling that.
It would be at least 2.5 years and a relatively significant wage - otherwise Adams would just wait until the summer when he could get money as a free agent.

Plus, it would be a £5m+ fee at least (for 6 months).

If we sign Adams in January it is ridiculous from a financial perspective before we even get into the football side of things.

However, we might be in a position where we have to take such action.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take Adams on a short term deal, but I'm not sure it's in his best interests. He could just see his contract out and get a longer deal elsewhere.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Outside of the big European clubs everyone is in the same boat financially, looking for that bargain, that player floating under the radar, that back up striker waiting on a chance. Everyone is waiting on that move that frees up their target at the right price. I don't have an issue with us playing the waiting game, I have more faith in Hobbs than I have had others over the past couple of years. He's communicated well and been pretty open with us, even if we were desperate and had a massive pot of cash we'd not be out there telling everyone about it. Play it cool, watching the market with targets in mind, just requires a bit of patience, we've moved out two players who have played 400 minutes of Premier League football between them this season so no real affect on the squad.

Being burnt with Silva and Guedes, whilst being blessed by Dawson and Lemina at a fraction of the combined cost of the first two - especially given the very recent near fatal consequences of breaching FFP - will keep the decision makers frugal in their plans.

And I agree with them.

Survival on a shoestring was always the plan for this season. I'm wondering if we qualified for a European competition, would the much tighter UEFA FFP rules see us in trouble?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being burnt with Silva and Guedes, whilst being blessed by Dawson and Lemina at a fraction of the combined cost of the first two - especially given the very recent near fatal consequences of breaching FFP - will keep the decision makers frugal in their plans.

And I agree with them.

Survival on a shoestring was always the plan for this season. I'm wondering if we qualified for a European competition, would the much tighter UEFA FFP rules see us in trouble?

That’s a good question, and one I don’t think anyone on here has considered, for obvious reasons. I imagine the club has, and it would be interesting to think whether, if we were likely to fall foul again and were looking likely we would qualify, might we start playing the kids in the final games…. Indeed, maybe that conundrum has been considered in some other seasons…

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what’s the source for Adams this window? Any idea? Or is it typical tabloid nonsense?
Its the kind of thing that keeps getting regurgitated by different sites and journalists over time. The only thing we know for sure is that we tried to get him at the end of the last transfer window but Southampton decided to hold on to him. In my view Hobbs will have his list of potential strikers this time round and Ekitike might be at the top of it along with Dia perhaps with Adams and two or three others below them as fall back options. So it is reasonable to suppose he is still an option because the fee would be cheap but for now Hobbs and co looking elsewhere.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the kind of thing that keeps getting regurgitated by different sites and journalists over time. The only thing we know for sure is that we tried to get him at the end of the last transfer window but Southampton decided to hold on to him. In my view Hobbs will have his list of potential strikers this time round and Ekitike might be at the top of it along with Dia perhaps with Adams and two or three others below them as fall back options. So it is reasonable to suppose he is still an option because the fee would be cheap but for now Hobbs and co looking elsewhere.

As I said the other day, I wouldn’t be shocked were we to sign two forwards, if the deals were right. Someone like Hugo plus someone like Che. One young and high potential, one older and experienced. Both loans with options. Gives the club options for the remainder of this season, and in the summer depending on how loans and summer sales of Fabio and Sasa go, how the new strikers do this season, where we finish, and who else might be available in the summer.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I am saying is that four year deals are very common for players in their prime. If it's a Dawson at 33 obviously that is not the case. As previously stated at 27 Adams or anyone else of that vintage would want at least a three year deal.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although we are bit a short at the minute, I think we are in a position to gamble a bit on a player potential....with all our current forward options scoring or performing to a decent level it's not such a crisis.......I've no doubt Che Adams initially or short term like for January and February would probably be a better option than Ekitike....But I think we can look a bit further than that. ..As you say he probably has the potential to be the better of longer term option, financially and for the team......Hwang , Cunha and Ekitike could be a great combination for a couple of seasons....
Is it far fetched to think we may actually be prepared to bring in both Ekitike and Adams (especially if the fee for Ekitike can be paid in the summers accounts),

That would mean in a front 3 Cunha plays one of the wider deeper roles, thus negating the need for a wide player we supposedly desire?

we’d have 2 central players, 4 wide forwards, plus Bellegarde who could play wide forward or midfield.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Cunha, Neto , Alt Nouri, Kilman , Gomes we have bought for the future , even Guedes and Trincao , sometimes we need a man now , just to fill a gap, and give us strength in future negotiations. I do think we could reach Europe with an experienced number 9 , that might only increase marginally , but it could be at the margins we get in to European football.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be at least 2.5 years and a relatively significant wage - otherwise Adams would just wait until the summer when he could get money as a free agent.

Plus, it would be a £5m+ fee at least (for 6 months).

If we sign Adams in January it is ridiculous from a financial perspective before we even get into the football side of things.

However, we might be in a position where we have to take such action.
No it wouldn't, are you Che? Are you his agent? Any such speculation is absolute nonsense.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it far fetched to think we may actually be prepared to bring in both Ekitike and Adams (especially if the fee for Ekitike can be paid in the summers accounts),

That would mean in a front 3 Cunha plays one of the wider deeper roles, thus negating the need for a wide player we supposedly desire?

we’d have 2 central players, 4 wide forwards, plus Bellegarde who could play wide forward or midfield.
Maybe ...I think if we get Etikike it will be us done I reckon........

I think we will be ok then in forward positions then with Chirewa taking up the wild card , youth option if needed. ...

If it was me and we were bringing 2 in.....it would be a midfielder (loan) plus Etikike......not 2 forwards like has been mentioned....but that would be if it was my preference ..

Back
Top Bottom