Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not in any way ITK, but I'm guessing Ings is a fallback option should Hobbs fails to get primary targets.
This is where I am at. I think Adams/Ings are options but we have a primary target in mind. Perhaps Dia or the kid from PSG. I am happy with having a few irons in the fire. Ings while he is not an ideal solution in terms of mobility, certainly knows where the net is and in those games where we struggle for cutting edge, he could be very very handy

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just imagine if we still had Gibbs-White and Jota......we would be way up the league. Disastrous transfer policy in that period.
You win some and you lose some . We should receive close to £90 million for those two, and look at the team today . Doing nicely and no FFP issues.
For me our weakness is not recruiting a Number 9 for four years. That is IMO atrocious and no nearer a proper number 9 yet.
MGW had to go and I have no regrets on that decision.
Jota I believe had some personal issues and Wolves needed to sell someone at that time.

Last edited:

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240108_122815_Chrome.jpg

I thought he'd had more injuries recently than this. So that's a positive
Wouldn't want to be paying his full wages, especially with him not being a guaranteed starter.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see why we need Danny ings. We're very likely to achieve our aims of staying in the league, we're unlikely to really push for European places and I don't think ings would be the player to get us there.

I'd much rather we explored signing some younger players and give them 6 months to bed in before next season.

dnf14

Reaction score
This is where I am at. I think Adams/Ings are options but we have a primary target in mind. Perhaps Dia or the kid from PSG. I am happy with having a few irons in the fire. Ings while he is not an ideal solution in terms of mobility, certainly knows where the net is and in those games where we struggle for cutting edge, he could be very very handy
Ings hasn't been the finisher we was for Saints for quite some time.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 39631

Wouldn't want to be paying his full wages, especially with him not being a guaranteed starter.

Yeh, there is nothing wrong with the amount of games he's played or goals scored. Hwang has got to be are main starter out of everyone we have been linked to. Is Ings gonna be on much higher wages than anyone else?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massively unlikely to me. GON likes a dynamic front line that presses and is otherwise constantly on the move. Seems illogical for him to bomb out a more old-school forward in Sasa to replace him with Ings who rarely leaves the penalty area.

I don't mind him as a player. A bit past it maybe and a bit injury prone. On loan is fine, I just don't want to own him.

He's probably ahead of Fabio's level right now and probably more of a fit for the style of football than Sasa, so having him in the squad probably makes us better than the first half of the season.

Loan fee and wages for 6 months might be £5m? We probably aren't going to be able to buy a player that improves the squad for that price.

He's nobody's first choice, but a straight loan wouldn't be the end of the world.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 39631

Depends how you look at it - since 2015/16 he has missed 123 games. 8.5 seasons so over 14 games per season or almost 40% of games.

If look since 2019, which is more relevant, then only missed 8 games in 4.5 seasons which is amazingly good!

Bigger question mark for me is then why wasn’t he starting if he was fit?

Bit meh, but if provides something for 6 months then no issue and we go again in Summer.

Whilst everyone would be excited by Ekitike we all have no idea if goes way of Silva, Trincao or Guedes or the way of Raul.

Similarly will Ings be this season’s Dawson?

Every transfer has a risk.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't we take a punt on Emmanuel Dennis on loan as a back up option.......granted he ain't done a lot at forest but was ok for Watford....

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure you could. Look at transfers for CB's in the summer window

Timber £34m
Torres £33m
Collins £23m
Igor £15m
Beyer £13m
O'Shea £7m
Disasi £38.8m
Bassey £19m
Gvardiol £77.6m
Omobamidele £20m
Murillo £12m
Trusty £5m
Van de Ven £34.5m
Mavropanos £17m

Out of these who in the up to £20m bracket would be a noticeable upgrade on Kilman, or even the same level?
Murillo is the exception - he looks like an absolute steal. Moot point anyway - he's our captain and playing very well currently. He knows the club, know the premier league, can play the way O'Neil wants him to play and is worth more to us than the risk of selling him to finance someone who 'might' offer all of those things at some point

fleck1

Reaction score
Ings isn't anyone's first choice but GON clearly didn't fancy Fabio or Sasa hence they have been moved out. We are restricted financially still in this window so wont be spending big and require a stop gap until the summer. With Cunha, Neto, Sarabia, Bellegarde and Hwang we aren't exactly desperate, so an experienced premier league head sat on the bench as back up with no obligations beyond the end of the season for 3 or 4 million in wages and fees isn't the worst idea.

dnf14

Reaction score
He got 8 last season and 7 the season before?
True but his strike rate has fallen off a cliff altogether since joining West Ham for whom he's scored 2 league goals in 27 games, both coming in a 4-0 drubbing of Forest.

Attachments

• Ings.PNG
    Ings.PNG
    149.5 KB · Views: 19

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's something I find unsettling about the whole do well here and half the fans will want to flog you to sign 3 unknowns who are dead good on football manager thing.
I kind of agree but we need to sell players in order to become self sustainable and keep ahead of FFP. I love our players and want to keep them but we've just let Adama leave for free when we could have got £40m for him a few years back. There's got to be a happy medium.

However, this season we shouldn't sell anybody. We look to be building something so players like Kilman are the ones we need to keep.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mind him as a player. A bit past it maybe and a bit injury prone. On loan is fine, I just don't want to own him.

He's probably ahead of Fabio's level right now and probably more of a fit for the style of football than Sasa, so having him in the squad probably makes us better than the first half of the season.

Loan fee and wages for 6 months might be £5m? We probably aren't going to be able to buy a player that improves the squad for that price.

He's nobody's first choice, but a straight loan wouldn't be the end of the world.

I also don’t mind him as a player, albeit when he was younger and fitter. With that in mind, I wouldn’t want to be paying all of his 125k/wk wages and a loan fee. Half his wages and no loan fee, then sure.

I still think it’s likely he is a plan b option, and perhaps this is being pushed into the media through our local journalists to apply pressure on our lead option(s).

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but his strike rate has fallen off a cliff altogether since joining West Ham for whom he's scored 2 league goals in 27 games, both coming in a 4-0 drubbing of Forest.

Total of 904 minutes of football for West Ham. He's hardly played.

Looking at the West Ham fan comments, a lot think he's still got something to offer and think he should have played more ahead of Antonio.

It's a short-term move, but we could do a lot worse.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fussy bunch on here aye we.....that's the problem....we only want em to run around for a few months, they aye gotta be Mother Theresa.....

It's not necessarily about being fussy, it's about all the available evidence suggesting that Spence is not the right character to have around our tight-knit squad, who have been excelling in terms of application and attitude.

Spence's famous social media post after Forest were promoted was in response to Warnock saying that Spence's attitude would see him playing non-league within a few seasons. After a failed move to Spurs, and a failed Championship loan spell where Leeds manager Farke again criticised his attitude, all the evidence points to his attitude consistently being a problem. Warnock could well be proven right the way his career trajectory is going!

Same with Dennis. Some of the stories at all his previous clubs suggest he's not the sort of person we should be taking a gamble on. It's not like he's a world-beater. Much rather we go for good pros like Ings. I was a big advocate for signing Danny Welbeck before he went to Brighton too. Think good experienced pros can really add something to a young squad like ours! Bad pros wouldn't.

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
Personally I can't see us agreeing to pay his full wages when we're trying to be smart about finances this month.
Having a good relationship with PSG hopefully sees us strike a good deal for Ekitike.

I'd still rather a fluid attacker similar to what we have at the moment than Danny Ings. I'm trying to find positives about his potential signing. But just clutching at straws.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
125k wages and they want it all its ****ing madness we click yes and go on that
This is why deals often drag on till the end of the window.
If west ham have no other suitors I’d bet they let him go for a lot less on deadline day.

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
I'd rather we go for Cornet at West Ham than Ings. Did really well at Burnley but never really done much at West Ham but can play across the three and is quick. Maybe try a loan for him.
Funnily enough I just looked at the attacking players Moyes has had at West Ham and most have flopped. And they've had some talented players. Scamacca, Haller, Vlasic, Cornet

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather we go for Cornet at West Ham than Ings. Did really well at Burnley but never really done much at West Ham but can play across the three and is quick. Maybe try a loan for him.
Could play in Rayan position as well....but has only just come back from injury..but agree

Back
Top Bottom