Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know ...and some on here seem almost seem happy to make it smaller by letting senior , established players go (Kilman , Neto) .....Decent fees mentioned , but whats the point of money in the bank ......We need players on the pitch & on the bench
that’s not the point at all respectfully.
it’s more an acceptance that Kilman from ffp perspective would allow us to make the improvements whereas others may not.
i don’t want to sell him.

fleck1

Reaction score
Kilman isn't going to West Ham or anywhere else this window, Its January and they need to fill papers and generate clicks. He's a 26 year old, left footed English centre back which already makes him a premium. Napoli were sniffing around for £35m in the summer and we weren't interested in that, even with our FFP issues and that was before he signed a new 5 year deal and was made club captain. Nobody is paying what it would cost to take him in this window

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that’s not the point at all respectfully.
it’s more an acceptance that Kilman from ffp perspective would allow us to make the improvements whereas others may not.
i don’t want to sell him.

So sell one of your senior centre backs and replace him with who ?....and how do you know he would be any better for the same or less money .....Kilman seems happy here , knows the ethos of the club and so cant see the rationale in wanting to move him on

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never played FIFA but I’ve seen Kilman in back four and he’s nowhere near what you’d want from a £40m player. I’d be surprised and disappointed if we couldn’t replace him with better for about half the reported fee.

Maybe.

But look at how City use left-sided centre backs like Ake and Gvardiol. A centre back pushes up, which frees up Rodri to join in with attacks, the right back comes narrower the left-sided centre back becomes a centreback/fullback hybrid.

Ake was hardly used initially and it's only been the last few seasons that Pep has decided he's useful for how they want to play.

What Pep does tends to become the norm within a couple of seasons. I think it will become more about centre backs that are adaptable enough to either step into midfield, or cover the fullback positions.

Kilman is the sort of player that fits with modern football tactics very well, as I think he could probably adapt to do both. Yes, he's not very vocal and could be more aggressive, but he's a very good footballer.

City paid £40m for Ake in 2020 and £85m for Gvardiol last summer. Very similar types of player. They are not fullbacks, but probably aren't suited to be centre backs in a back 4 either. Perfect for that hybrid role. Toti too, although he's a bit more agricultural in terms of his defending.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So sell one of your senior centre backs and replace him with who ?....and how do you know he would be any better for the same or less money .....Kilman seems happy here , knows the ethos of the club and so cant see the rationale in wanting to move him on
Because Fosun want us to be self sustaining and the only way to do that is sell players for decent fees and re invest.

Reactions: Ned

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never played FIFA but I’ve seen Kilman in back four and he’s nowhere near what you’d want from a £40m player. I’d be surprised and disappointed if we couldn’t replace him with better for about half the reported fee.
I'm not sure you could. Look at transfers for CB's in the summer window

Timber £34m
Torres £33m
Collins £23m
Igor £15m
Beyer £13m
O'Shea £7m
Disasi £38.8m
Bassey £19m
Gvardiol £77.6m
Omobamidele £20m
Murillo £12m
Trusty £5m
Van de Ven £34.5m
Mavropanos £17m

Out of these who in the up to £20m bracket would be a noticeable upgrade on Kilman, or even the same level?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman isn't going to West Ham or anywhere else this window, Its January and they need to fill papers and generate clicks. He's a 26 year old, left footed English centre back which already makes him a premium. Napoli were sniffing around for £35m in the summer and we weren't interested in that, even with our FFP issues and that was before he signed a new 5 year deal and was made club captain. Nobody is paying what it would cost to take him in this window
I agree, I was going to make the point that HG and left footed ups his value.

Minor point but I think it was €35m offered by Napoli not £. And we reportedly would have excepted €40m. But Killman wasn’t keen on a move anyway.

I’d be a bit surprised if someone offered a genuine £40m, but if they did I’d be equally surprised if we turned it down. Unfortunately.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be a bit surprised if someone offered a genuine £40m, but if they did I’d be equally surprised if we turned it down. Unfortunately.

I'd be massively surprised if we turned down that sort of money for most players to be honest, let alone a defender.

As for replacements, Santi Bueno is first in line to come in. He's proven he can do it now.

Then buy a 22-25 year old to become the next in line! Rinse, repeat.

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
Says everything about him then, if he’d rather go back to the championship than compete in the Prem.
Think it's likely more due to the fact that Liverpool want guaranteed game time, which is much easier to guarantee when you're 7th in the Championship vs 11th in the Prem. Sincerely doubt he'd be angling for a move lower down the pyramid.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
with the Uruguay international on our bench, or we buy someone for less.

it’s an accounting issue rather than a player issue

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So far its just a newspaper rumour,of which 90% are garbage
What we do have to keep in mind is Fosun want self sustainability, as do every club,and to achieve that aim we have to sell players for good profits and bring in others that will hopefully turn a profit in future years
The days of staying at the same club for your career are long gone,and we have to face the fact that we are not in the position to keep our best players for too long,as much as that pains the fans

fleck1

Reaction score
There's something I find unsettling about the whole do well here and half the fans will want to flog you to sign 3 unknowns who are dead good on football manager thing.
I don't think its a case of wanting to. Its accepting outside of the greedy 6 that's everyone's model, we all need that unknown or youth product to be the next 70-100m player to set us up. None of us wanted to lose Neves, nobody wants to lose Neto or RAN but financially there is no level playing field. We can't offer the riches, the European nights and trophies the teams eyeing them can and as Newcastle are beginning to find out FFP is there to make sure the status quo stays in place.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
dont think fabio was ever really on the radar, winger move probably very late in the window
Even Romano was vague. It’s not been picked up by anyone else about from crook who said we weren’t in for him
David ormstein who is genuinely pretty accurate said it was between Southampton and Hull

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just can't see what Liverpool gain from sending him to hull ....alright he might play, but so what it's the championship....Do they wanna test him to see if he may ever become a Liverpool player ...surely he needs a bit of a test...

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Just can't see what Liverpool gain from sending him to hull ....alright he might play, but so what it's the championship....Do they wanna test him to see if he may ever become a Liverpool player ...surely he needs a bit of a test...
If only champs clubs were interested they don’t have a choice

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gibbs-White left us for £30m on the back of being one of the best attacking players in the Championship the season before.

If they want to sell him, he has to be playing and performing.

There's a high chance he wouldn't do that at a PL club.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the answer to that is no. They don't think he is good enough to play at the level Liverpool require and want to get as much money as possible for him. Playing games for Hull is better than sitting on the bench here in terms of raising his value.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gibbs-White left us for £30m on the back of being one of the best attacking players in the Championship the season before.

If they want to sell him, he has to be playing and performing.

There's a high chance he wouldn't do that at a PL club.
He had already done that though...ticked that box 2 seasons ago..

Last edited:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if hull are preparing to let someone go. Philogene should be recovering from his injury soon

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the answer to that is no. They don't think he is good enough to play at the level Liverpool require and want to get as much money as possible for him. Playing games for Hull is better than sitting on the bench here in terms of raising his value.
Our bench is short though....if he did make an impact it would be more testing than hull though......for Liverpool to get a fee...

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's another 2 weeks until any new signing could play, have faith, trust the process, Matt Hobbs and co have earned that.
I live in hope , as I always have with transfer windows. . Come 1st February that hope has often appeared unfounded .
With the unexpected late summer sale of Nunes I felt we could have cracked on .

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s all very well all the time you’re not selling Diogo Jota to re-invest in Fabio Silva or Morgan Gibbs Whiite to re- invest in Gonçalo Guedes
Just imagine if we still had Gibbs-White and Jota......we would be way up the league. Disastrous transfer policy in that period.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just imagine if we still had Gibbs-White and Jota......we would be way up the league. Disastrous transfer policy in that period.
Jota yes, imagine the carnage a front 3 of Jota, Neto and Cunha could cause!

Gibbs-White, no. Wouldn't have him in ahead of Gomes or Lemina

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i just cant see Ings unless we become desperate due to his high wages

Back
Top Bottom