Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it maybe Hugo Ekitike...loan option I reckon....think they are just getting the FFP, finance in order to sort the deal.....be surprised with Mendes association with PSG if we are not near the front of the que...

Saza , Fabio , Cundle etc are all part of the process with finances..
Is this what you've heard from a source or just theorising?!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing we can use fairly in the debate on academies is hindsight.
So can anyone list 10 players of the many hundreds of players CURRENTLY in top flight football that originated from the Black Country ?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cundle worth only £2m? Surely worth double that now he has proved himself in the Championship and considering his upside potential. Giles was £5m after all. We sometimes seem to under value these types of players. You can be sure Chelsea/Man U would be asking at least £8m for a similar type of player.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love Ekitike to replace Sasa......but still puzzled Sasa hasn't been given more of a chance.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cundle worth only £2m? Surely worth double that now he has proved himself in the Championship and considering his upside potential. Giles was £5m after all. We sometimes seem to under value these types of players. You can be sure Chelsea/Man U would be asking at least £8m for a similar type of player.
Proved? He doesn’t start every game for a team in 18th place!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
How has he proved it ? He’s playing in a team 18th and only starts periodically
Where is the queue of premier league teams wanting him?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So can anyone list 10 players of the many hundreds of players CURRENTLY in top flight football that originated from the Black Country ?

Loads from Brum, but very few current players from the Black Country.

Gibbs-White was Stafford born, so doesn't count despite coming through our academy.

Bellingham from Stourbridge, so depends what your definition of Black Country is!

Sheffield United's Cameron Archer was Walsall born. As was Kemar Roofe of Rangers. Connor Goldson of Rangers is Wolvo born.

Can't get to 10, as there aren't 10!

Last edited:

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’ll do West Midlands as you’re struggling with Black Country which is the point….

James Maddison
MGW
Jacob Ramsey
Aaron Ramsey
Demarai Gray
Rico Henry
Jack Grealish
Callum Wilson

And for a lot of those Villa & Blues would have been top destinations

Even if I cheat and include Bellingham we don’t reach 10.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll do West Midlands as you’re struggling with Black Country which is the point….

James Maddison
MGW
Jacob Ramsey
Aaron Ramsey
Demarai Gray
Rico Henry
Jack Grealish
Callum Wilson

If you look at players registered to PL clubs that came through Black Country Academies, which I suppose would be us, West Brom and Walsall, I make it that 9......

Wolves
  • MGW
  • Hugo Bueno
  • Ryan Giles
  • Joe Hodge
  • Wayne Hennessey

West Brom
  • Chris Wood
  • Dara O'Shea
  • Tim Iroegbunam

Walsall
  • Rico Henry
Could cheat and add in Max Kilman to get to 10, but he didn't really come through our academy. Nathan Fraser another that could be added, but he's not played in the PL, so it would also be a bit naughty!

henri_camara

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you look at players registered to PL clubs that came through Black Country Academies, which I suppose would be us, West Brom and Walsall, I make it that 9......

Wolves
  • MGW
  • Hugo Bueno
  • Ryan Giles
  • Joe Hodge
  • Wayne Hennessey

West Brom
  • Chris Wood
  • Dara O'Shea
  • Tim Iroegbunam

Walsall
  • Rico Henry
Could cheat and add in Max Kilman to get to 10, but he didn't really come through our academy. Nathan Fraser another that could be added, but he's not played in the PL, so it would also be a bit naughty!
+ Lescott, Keane, Naylor

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How has he proved it ? He’s playing in a team 18th and only starts periodically
Where is the queue of premier league teams wanting him?
He plays more than periodically and has had some rave reviews!

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We seem to get ourselves in a tizzy when players leave for what seem to be small fees just because a few years ago they were the great hope.

Same happened with Giles and Sanderson but it's evident now they've left they were nowhere near at all. Same here with Cundle - £2m seems about right for me.

The Chelsea/Man Utd point is fairly invalid IMO as naturally their young players who don't make the grade will be a level above the ones we ship out.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Cundle in today's market is £3/4 million with a clause in the transfer as well for a sale percentage.

He has played nearly two seasons in the championship and similar player Dann Neil and Jason Knight , Adam Whartonfor instance seem to be valued higher with similar stats.

I think £2million in the championship is a steal for Cundle imo.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

James Maddison
MGW
Jacob Ramsey
Aaron Ramsey
Demarai Gray
Rico Henry
Jack Grealish
Callum Wilson

Nathan Redmond?

This was my point last night, we as a midlands don’t seem to produce as many players as say Newcastle or the north west which is just weird really. Plus there’s an assumption that we should be poaching the kids who are good, like take Maddison, who knows how good he was at certain ages but he was from coventry playing for coventry why would he have left their academy for us at that time? By the time he got to a level where his talent was of interest Norwich swooped in

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves
  • MGW
  • Hugo Bueno
  • Ryan Giles
  • Joe Hodge
  • Wayne Hennessey

West Brom
  • Chris Wood
  • Dara O'Shea
  • Tim Iroegbunam

Walsall
  • Rico Henry

Indeed… i took the challenge to mean come from the Black Country by birth as people are saying we should be better at developing local talent.

And there you have your issue… there aren’t many let alone them wanting to come to Wolves academy 10-12 years ago when we weren’t as attractive as we are now

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know why Bellingham ended up at blues, rather than Vile, us or the baggies?

I presume it was something to do with his Dad, Mark Bellingham?

Jude signed for Birmingham as an under 8, at a time when his Dad was playing semi-pro football for Sutton Coldfield, and was in the West Midlands police. So it might just have been that it was convenient!

Mark also had a spell at Wolverhampton Casuals just after his time at Sutton, so it could have worked out very differently!

At the time Jude was under 8, it was our Solbakken/Saunders season, so Blues was probably seen as a more stable club at the time too. Villa might have been seen as more difficult to break through too, as they were then an established PL side.

Shame it wasn't us, but thank the lord it wasn't Baggies!!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know why Bellingham ended up at blues, rather than Vile, us or the baggies?

You’ll have to ask Jude or his parents that one.

Born in Stourbridge but I think they lived majority of his life in Bromsgrove. He was pre academy (under 9s) at Blues so maybe they offered him a deal and decided to stay

Some kids are pre academy at loads of clubs and literally have training most nights all across the midlands… it’s mental

We have a tonne of West Brom and Villa fans in our younger age groups

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Born in Stourbridge but I think they lived majority of his life in Bromsgrove. He was pre academy (under 9s) at Blues so maybe they offered him a deal and decided to stay

Some kids are pre academy at loads of clubs and literally have training most nights all across the midlands… it’s mental

One thing I will say is they got all their choices bang on.

All of Jude's moves to date have been perfect in terms of timing and development to get him to where he is today. If every young pro was as level headed as Jude, and as well advised as he has been from his parents, far fewer amounts of talent would slip through the net!

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol…yeah West Ham, we’ll sell you our club captain and in exchange we don’t want money. No, we’ll just have a delve around your ****ty reserves bin, and take three players off your payroll for you
There is so much delusion in fan site articles. Arsenal have been talking about how they get Neto for months, even after he's come out and said not till the end of the year. The only way they change that situation is with a figure they can't afford!

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty sure his family are big Birmingham fans. Didn’t someone say his dad made sure Birmingham got a fee for him rather than him leaving for a tribunal and that’s why he went to Dortmund rather than Man United

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sasa doesnt fits gon mould of a 9 the fact hes off says we have this new player to come in sorted, or near enough sorted.

Separate to noha

I agree. Might be that they have a preferred target that is not yet done, but have a plan B which they are confident they can trigger if needed, and who offers GON more than Sasa would.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol…yeah West Ham, we’ll sell you our club captain and in exchange we don’t want money. No, we’ll just have a delve around your ****ty reserves bin, and take three players off your payroll for you.

"Given O’Neil’s interest in Aaron Cresswell in the summer, he could even be thrown into any deal if it helps grease the wheels."

Not sure GON had any interest in Cresswell? Wasn't that Lopetegui?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Given O’Neil’s interest in Aaron Cresswell in the summer, he could even be thrown into any deal if it helps grease the wheels."

Not sure GON had any interest in Cresswell? Wasn't that Lopetegui?

I'd guess it was Hobbs idea...
Cant see the sense it it now by the way, as we've Bueno and Ait-Nouri doing fine

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves dont set the price lower than clubs are willing to pay. Thats crackers .

Back
Top Bottom