Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
...and not forgetting baby...
I challenge any WUM to say that what Wolves have done here is wrong.

Giving him time to settle before his wife gives birth is obviously the right thing to do. Some things matter more than having someone available as back up.

The human decisions by the likes of Hobbs will only improve our brand and ability to attract the right sorts of players - reflects the team mentality being fostered by GON.

Yet again Hobbs shows why he is the right man for the job.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He should have left after we got a replacement in. If hwang and cunha get injured then we are in major trouble.
Bad decision as we have been left short.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact we have rarely seen him would suggest he is rarely an option to play….. even when hwang was in the red zone (GON’s own words) he couldn’t get a run out would say he isn’t and wasn’t an option
Indeed, actions speak louder than words

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we will have to keep Fraser here now until a striker is signed. We need to be careful we don’t leave ourselves far too short. A knock to Cunha and we are up **** creek. Very much hope a new striker is close.
I agree with you JOS

DJW

Reaction score
I've no problem with Sasa leaving on loan if its best for him. I'm a bit concerned that it hasn't coincided with an incoming replacement. But this is Wolves after all and not sure we ever do this. Hopefully something is in the bag or we will have weakened our position.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could have gone after a replacement comes in. If we fail to get a replacement then he stays and fights for his place.

We can't have a situation where should cunha get injured then we have no one. We have look after ourselves first.

No other Premier league club would leave themselves as short as we would. Every point is vital.

West Ham only sold us Dawson when they needed to and when they did sell him to us they had a replacement brought in first. Otherwise we would have had Dawson in the summer of 2022.

We are a business fighting to stay in the Premier league. Allowing players like Adama Traore leave on a 6 month loan when he had 18 months left on his contract probably cost us 10 million. With financial fair play to consider we have to look through a business lens not just a 'human' lens.

There are moments where we have winced in the past at the harsh reality of business. The manner of the Afobe sale was unsavoury but it is that kind of ruthlessness that you need in business. And we moved on from it after we flipped him for 2 million profit.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could have gone after a replacement comes in. If we fail to get a replacement then he stays and fights for his place.

We can't have a situation where should cunha get injured then we have no one. We have look after ourselves first.

No other Premier league club would leave themselves as short as we would. Every point is vital.

West Ham only sold us Dawson when they needed to and when they did sell him to us they had a replacement brought in first. Otherwise we would have had Dawson in the summer of 2022.

We are a business fighting to stay in the Premier league. Allowing players like Adama Traore leave on a 6 month loan when he had 18 months left on his contract probably cost us 10 million. With financial fair play to consider we have to look through a business lens not just a 'human' lens.

There are moments where we have winced in the past at the harsh reality of business. The manner of the Afobe sale was unsavoury but it is that kind of ruthlessness that you need in business. And we moved on from it after we flipped him for 2 million profit.

Agreed. It’s all fine and good to be a nice club where you try to do the fight thing for the players, but it’s bad business when the players don’t do the same for you. We let Adama go on loan to his dream club and he returned the favor by leaving on a free the following summer.

Hollywood Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
He should have left after we got a replacement in. If hwang and cunha get injured then we are in major trouble.
Bad decision as we have been left short.
But Danny Ings !! Who will they drop for him? At the moment we are a team, in defence and attack.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We let Adama go on loan because Sellars was stupid enough to believe Barca we’re going to give us £30m for him when in reality they just wanted some cover because Dembele was injured.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs implying in that article that Sasa might/will be back at Wolves next season; 'I hope he goes there and does really well, plays lots of games, and is able to help us next season'. Personally, I think that's unlikely and we end-up selling him permanently for a lot less than we paid.
If Sasa does well, then either he will want to stay and play in a league he knows and Frankfurt could try to buy him outright.
If Sasa struggles, why would we want him back (although we might have to take him due to contractual obligations)! Also, we will have moved on to someone GON prefers.
I might be wrong, but I think Sasa's time with us is up.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We let Adama go on loan because Sellars was stupid enough to believe Barca we’re going to give us £30m for him when in reality they just wanted some cover because Dembele was injured.
The great thing about the podence deal is that he extended his contract by up to two years before going out on loan. We always have to protect our interests.

I never understood the Traore deal and still don't. Barcelona shafted us with the trincao loan fee of five million (27 million final fee) and the semedo fee. They also low balled us for Ruben Neves.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The great thing about the podence deal is that he extended his contract by up to two years before going out on loan. We always have to protect our interests.

I never understood the Traore deal and still don't. Barcelona shafted us with the trincao loan fee of five million (27 million final fee) and the semedo fee. They also low balled us for Ruben Neves.
That’s Barca for you utter **** of a club. I’d be shocked if we don’t see Podence rock up at Forest next season.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In some respects, I don't blame Barca for trying- it-on. Takes two to agree a deal and Wolves (Shi and Sellars) were stupid to take them at their word.

stevev53

Reaction score
Let’s see what the next few days bring before declaring this a mistake.

hoping the club have something up their sleeve.
I am amazed at some people’s reactions on here . The loan for Sasa shows what a caring club we are and if they think we have done this without bringing someone in is laughable. It’s Sunday morning just be patient and I’m sure a replacement will be here in the next few days .

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be disappointed if we don't bring someone in. However, January is a very quiet month and we are skint so we have to make the best of it.
I am pleased from a human POV that we have let Sasa go when we did. Also saves us money,

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I am amazed at some people’s reactions on here . The loan for Sasa shows what a caring club we are and if they think we have done this without bringing someone in is laughable. It’s Sunday morning just be patient and I’m sure a replacement will be here in the next few days .
And also, the club showing it does right by its players might just make us a better option for new signings?

If Gary is trying to create a family mentality in the squad then stuff like this and how we’ve looked after Lemina really help.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Continued reports from France that we are working hard to bring Hugo Etitike here. PSG open to a move, as is Hugo. Competition from German clubs such as Wolfsburg, but it seems the stumbling block is wages of around £80k a week. While we can out compete German clubs in that regard, his current wages would be a stretch for our salary structure given his age and FFP considerations. But I’m not sure I see that level of wages as a showstopper if we are genuinely interested and believe he’s plan A. But wouldn’t want to upset our existing squad by overpaying his wages either.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And also, the club showing it does right by its players might just make us a better option for new signings?

If Gary is trying to create a family mentality in the squad then stuff like this and how we’ve looked after Lemina really help.
You must also look at the impact on players at the club who can see the employer cares and will look after them too

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps controversially, I'd be delighted at £40m for Kilman. Bueno is showing he can step up, Mosquera has all the talent in the world. We could easily use that £40m to get another CB, whilst reinforcing other areas with up and coming talent e.g. a winger, striker and RB

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Continued reports from France that we are working hard to bring Hugo Etitike here. PSG open to a move, as is Hugo. Competition from German clubs such as Wolfsburg, but it seems the stumbling block is wages of around £80k a week. While we can out compete German clubs in that regard, his current wages would be a stretch for our salary structure given his age and FFP considerations. But I’m not sure I see that level of wages as a showstopper if we are genuinely interested and believe he’s plan A. But wouldn’t want to upset our existing squad by overpaying his wages either.

80k doesn’t seem out of our reach IF he becomes an integral part of the team, the problem is if it doesn’t quite work and we’re stuck with him on the bench.

Ideally we loan him with an option, that way if he is a success we can make it permanent and the wages will be justifiable.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps controversially, I'd be delighted at £40m for Kilman. Bueno is showing he can step up, Mosquera has all the talent in the world. We could easily use that £40m to get another CB, whilst reinforcing other areas with up and coming talent e.g. a winger, striker and RB
I think people might find they appreciate Killman more after he leaves; his absence would be noticed.
A lot of the good stuff Killman does goes under the radar because he is generally so calm and composed it goes slightly unnoticed.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I imagine it's not a case of us not being able to afford the wages, just that we want to play hardball so that we pay as little a % of his wages whilst he's a loan player as possible.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
80k doesn’t seem out of our reach IF he becomes an integral part of the team, the problem is if it doesn’t quite work and we’re stuck with him on the bench.

Ideally we loan him with an option, that way if he is a success we can make it permanent and the wages will be justifiable.

I agree, but as I said, the challenge might be the risk of upsetting the squad. A decent benchmark in our squad would be Cunha - a little older, also a forward, and our biggest signing. He is on £60k/wk. That’s the level I’d imagine we would like to be paying Etitike as well should he ultimately be signed permanently.

Richwest69

Reaction score

I fear PSG feel Ettike is their silva. Big fee, little reward , and bags of potential.
Added with high wages

Surely we need a proven goal scorer , not over the hill yet though

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take £40m for Max but don't for a second imagine it'll happen.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Classy move from the club

If there's one common thing I always hear from past and present players it's that Wolves feels like a family and it's precisely because they act like like they have for Sasa

I'd proffer it's a big reason why we hold onto our stars a lot longer than other clubs of a similar stature
And that is all credit to Shi and Fosun IMO. This will stem from the top.

Back
Top Bottom