Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need competition, he plays over whoever’s form drops (or is suspended/ injured)
I think it quite a difficult balancing act.
Yes competition in a squad is good.
But equally having players in the squad with no real prospect of playing is bad.

I’d guess the decision on Mosquera would have been a tight one. 4 fully fit players ahead of him, a willingness to switch to a back 4 and the opportunity for Mosquera to further develop thus be an even more viable option for us next season… I think all this makes the decision the correct one.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This will be a big step up for Yerson, should be a great challenge for him. If he makes the step up, then I can see us integrating him into our system in the Summer.

Steady improvement and progression for us is key.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed mosquera has gone . I just don't ever see us moving forwards much at all apart from bobbing around mid table to bottom half of prem with the approach imo .At times you need to play players and give them a chance .

Ideal season to do that for us as we aren't going to probably go down so why not give some players game time in the prem to see what they can do .
Were 4 points off European football with a game in hand, there’s an argument that now absolutely isn’t the time to be chucking players in

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would expect GON to suggest that Yerson isn't ready for Premier league football in a press conference, whatever he thinks.
There are two issues here. Yerson needs games. We might be short of defenders and he is a little more experienced than other 5th choice centre half's. But we're not helping him or us in the long term by keeping him on our bench.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I was H.Bueno, Boubacar or Fraser, I would be trying to understand from Hobbs why I have to rot on the bench while Mosquera gets a loan?
Bueno, Bouba all get decent minutes off the bench, Fraser probably will too (I still think h'ell end up at Shrewsbury.
Mosquera would be 5th choice CB, highly unlikely he'd get any time. Makes sense to me.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why because you don’t agree with it? It’s factually correct, not opinion based. Management have concluded that what’s best for the player and the club is a loan.
Because it’s condescending.

The whole point of a forum is for debate and opinion. I wanted facts I’d just stick to the Wolves website. I’ll engage with other posters in future.

Last edited by a moderator:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
If I was H.Bueno, Boubacar or Fraser, I would be trying to understand from Hobbs why I have to rot on the bench while Mosquera gets a loan?
I don’t think any of the three players you mention are “rotting on the bench”. Hugo and Bouba have been involved plenty this season and Fraser is an 18-year old who has not long joined the first team dressing room.

Different situation with Mosquera who has been here a couple of years (injury hit) and has just had a successful senior loan.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yerson needs to be playing at this stage, not providing cover just in case. The bloke could end up saving us spending another £20-30 million, and like the club, I’d agree that this loan will be better and far more conducive to that than sitting on the bench watching us play.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yerson needs to be playing at this stage, not providing cover just in case. The bloke could end up saving us spending another £20-30 million, and like the club, I’d agree that this loan will be better and far more conducive to that than sitting on the bench watching us play.
Or he might bring us in a decent transfer fee in the summer....if he does well...... don't think we can rule out that scenario...we have put him somewhere to develop but he is also in a good shop window...

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This has no doubt been asked before, but does him having played in the MLS count as this season for loan rules purposes? SO could we recall him if needed?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the club are simply taking a long term view regarding Mosquera. He probably won’t get much playing time here this season and will be a better player next season for having played for Villarreal. Obviously like most things in football it could be we regret it as two of our CHs could become unavailable for more than a game or two. Even then we are very unlikely to be relegated though could lose out on prize money. There’s no black and white in this situation as nobody can predict the future but you can make judgement calls. The club have taken a long term view and I think it’s the right one.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not fussed about Yerson going on loan, as long as he gets played at Villarreal. Realistically he wouldn't have got many minutes for us so we're hardly gona miss someone who wasn't gona get played are we, we're adequately stocked in that area as well so no big loss. Like I said, just hope he gets some gametime for them.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why because you don’t agree with it? It’s factually correct, not opinion based. Management have concluded that what’s best for the player and the club is a loan.
Not best for the club is it. There will be injuries, suspensions, loss of form. This decision goes against the wishes of GON just like the Sasa decision. Our manager needs cover and he doesn't want his first eleven flogged to death.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not best for the club is it. There will be injuries, suspensions, loss of form. This decision goes against the wishes of GON just like the Sasa decision. Our manager needs cover and he doesn't want his first eleven flogged to death.
I don’t believe for one second that GON hasn’t sanctioned either move. We’re talking about two players who 1) had very limited game time and 2) had zero game time.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leaving ourselves very vulnerable to injuries and suspensions. We must have one of the lightest squads in terms of senior players now I would have thought. Squad currently weaker in depth than a few weeks ago. Dont understand why we constantly leave ourselves so light on numbers.
I guess it’s a balancing act. What will bring Wolves the most benefit in the long run? I think Wolves have made the right call. The lad needs games.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely O’Neil was consulted and is ok with it? No way would he be going to Villareal against his wishes? Same with Sasa and Fabio

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely O’Neil was consulted and is ok with it? No way would he be going to Villareal against his wishes? Same with Sasa and Fabio
Exactly this. I find it very difficult to believe that GON hasn’t sanctioned the moves at all. He’s let two players go who couldn’t get off the bench and a third who wasn’t even on the bench and folk are losing their minds. I don’t get it at all

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. I find it very difficult to believe that GON hasn’t sanctioned the moves at all. He’s let two players go who couldn’t get off the bench and a third who wasn’t even on the bench and folk are losing their minds. I don’t get it at all
None of them are likely to play, and none of them are likely to be very happy with that, so the smart move is to loan them out. Yerson gets games and hopefully develops experience, whilst we up our chances of getting decentish fees for Fabio and Sasa. Them being sat here watching us play would not help any of that at all. O’Neil ok’ing these moves to me seems perfectly logical, and suggests he’s confident we have sufficient cover and will bring in a player or two?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them are likely to play, and none of them are likely to be very happy with that, so the smart move is to loan them out. Yerson gets games and hopefully develops experience, whilst we up our chances of getting decentish fees for Fabio and Sasa. Them being sat here watching us play would not help any of that at all. O’Neil ok’ing these moves to me seems perfectly logical, and suggests he’s confident we have sufficient cover and will bring in a player or two?
Agree with every single word of that mate, sums up my opinion totally.

If I was being hyper cynical I’d say we’re doing well at the moment and the doom mongers desperately need something to grasp onto.

Rowzed

Reaction score
You can only recall in transfer windows I think.
As I understand it, ( and I may well be wrong) , we can recall if the loan is a disaster, but we also have to submit a squad of 25. So if he isn’t in that then he has to qualify by being U21 , which he isn’t . So he won’t be playing for us until next season.

If however he plays really well for Villareal then he may fetch a big fee in the summer, or he may be part of our 25 next season. Either way the player and the club should benefit if he can get serious minutes at Villareal

For years our academy has struggled to get people to the highest level. Recruiting talented 17-19 year old players with the option to loan to competitive leagues is a great way to develop them.

I could even see Nathan Fraser going to the MLS before coming back to Wolves if we decide to get someone like Broja in until Nathan is more developed. It might be a better option than a League 1 loan.

the other big advantage of the MLS is the season finishes before Christmas, so a season of development costs us only half a season of availability.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody is losing their minds, that’s very dramatic. People just feel differently about it. Some people want cover for positions, others don’t. There’s no hysteria.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody is losing their minds, that’s very dramatic. People just feel differently about it. Some people want cover for positions, others don’t. There’s no hysteria.
It is a little dramatic, but it also the Wolves fans way to an extent. Comfort in something to moan about.

If loaning Mosquera means we can get cover where we perhaps need it more while giving him exposure in a country where he will feel at home, then it is a win win.

In an ideal world we have two players in every position, but this post FFP world is not ideal.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone suggests they don’t want cover for positions. Just some of us are happy for a player to be the cover for two positions; especially in the position of cb where it’s rare to rotate or make in game substitutions.

I want 6 players for the front 3.
4 for the 2 fullback/wingback positions.
4 for the 2 midfield spots.
I just feel that 4cb is sufficient, and not an irresponsible risk .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a little dramatic, but it also the Wolves fans way to an extent. Comfort in something to moan about.

If loaning Mosquera means we can get cover where we perhaps need it more while giving him exposure in a country where he will feel at home, then it is a win win.

In an ideal world we have two players in every position, but this post FFP world is not ideal.
Agree with that. The other thing is with the whole “need two players for each position” debate is we have several players who can do that, so it becomes less of a problem. Doc can play both wide defensive positions for instance similarly Bellegarde can play several positions also. Toti and Santi both played wide defensively in their career.

I personally can’t see us bringing in more than one player in this window that’s genuinely for the first team.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This. Some on here are very quick to paint with wide brushes. I make a comment that I am disappointed in Sasa’s response to us doing him a favor and I’m a pantwetter or snowflake. Now I express concern that sending out our second senior CB cover may leave us vulnerable and it’s hysterics.

Sometimes people just have reasonable opinions that others don’t disagree with. No need for name calling during legitimate disagreement and debate.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not that people don't want the luxury of having that cover, it's weighing up the benefits of having a player out on loan playing regularly playing at a top level versus them sitting on our bench as an insurance and not continuing their development. We aren't a top six club with endless riches, so we need to develop these types of players to be future starters, or at the very least provide a substantial profit.

The reality of the situation is we're on 28 points and sitting very comfortably without even factoring in possible further points deductions to two clubs, so we can afford to take risks like this, and the Sasa and Silva loans, in order for them to get minutes and either come back to play for us, or put themselves in the shop window.

I think the club are taking a very pragmatic approach towards this transfer window, and looking forward to next season, where we can really catapult ourselves back into European competition with FFP being less of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom