Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We require a minimum 11m profit this year. We have to account for JL severance costs this year. We want to make a net net position.

Jonny is on major wages, freeing those wages up give far more wriggle room.

We have renewed kilmans contract this year, signed cunha permanently as well as b traore, it does make sense if you look at it as a whole.

we also extended semedos

Equally jonny is in the squad so doesnt impact the small squad.

We need 9m profits for 23-24 given our wages etc the less we have the better.

To then move into another year of spend next year
We have sold players or moved on some massive wages since our latest accounts
Neves £30 million profit alone , Nunes, Collins, Traore, Moutinho ,Coady, Costa Jimenez and Podence . Terminated the large contract with Lopetegui and his chums.
We have moved on massive salaries reductions and more this January with Sasa and Silva , I am positive we have done more than enough there . Look at the remaining squad its skeletal , probably our cheapest salary cost since promotion. The big loss was a one off to avoid relegation.
No way do we have to move people on first , we wont have a squad fit for purpose. Look at our bench.

Last edited:

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you can spread fees over up to five years of contracts.

So if a player is on 100k/week, that's 5.2m/year. If they were bought for 25m and signed a five year (+) contract, their cost is a little over 10m/year. Plus whatever agent fees get paid.

The wages really matter.

So, back of envelope, wolves have turnover around 170m, they can spend .7*170m= 85+34=119m. You will want a bit of wiggle room there.

Yes, having like 10m a year tied up in Fabio is not great. Same with Guedes.
Thanks and also to @AndyWolves

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This will be for the 2024 summer thread but we may face the reality of selling Neto in the summer. Two players I think we need to sign to replace him are both in the championship.

Jaden Philogene - Hull City
22 when the summer window opens, came through Villas Academy after joining them from an Academy in London called Direct Pro, had interest in Barca and Dortmund while at Villa, and after two loan spells in the championship where he improved each time, he left for Hull after he wanted regular game time which was blocked by Villas big singings in the summer. Way too good for the league and now an england under 21 player. Very fast, two footed and creative with the ball. 6 goals and 5 assists in 14 games in the championship this term.

John Rowe - Norwich City
21 in the summer, been with Norwhich since 2014. this season in 25 games in the championship he has scored 11 goals and got 2 assists... from the wing!! like Jaden he is fast, a strong runner with the ball and can play on either wing!! He was going to be a part of Norwich squad in the championship but he had a horrible injury that kept him out. Now back and back to his best, he is way too good for the divsion.

I think both players should be signed with the idea of them starting. They will fit into our style of play, add pace and can carry the ball up the pitch while both being wide players that add goals and assists to the side. They won't come cheap. But are both Home grown which will help us with registation.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will stay in london
Not done much since his bad injury. I think a winger who can play as a forward better idea. Two birds one stone.

For example me being wishful. If you offered Norwich 5m now and 25m obligation in the summer for Rowe I think they would take it.

Neto will be sold for minimum double that figure, therefore we have potential to pull off something like this if needs must.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep the 5 or 6 with a senior striker.
We've had those in the past and had less goals and less chances. So this isn't a fact.

What is a fact is that we're on pace to score our most goals in the Premier League since promotion in our first season without a senior striker.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance at that price! Ridiculous.

What on earth makes him worth that.
Age. Potential. Even with all that's gone on, £35 million is not a lot of money in this day and age for a promising young striker.

I'd still be very hesitant to spend that type of money on a striker just returning from an ACL injury.

Option to buy would be a different story.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Age. Potential. Even with all that's gone on, £35 million is not a lot of money in this day and age for a promising young striker.

I'd still be very hesitant to spend that type of money on a striker just returning from an ACL injury.

Option to buy would be a different story.
He isn't 18 though is he? He doesn't seem to have improved from the time he was 18.
If I'm honest he looks like a talented kid that's progression has flatlined entirely, with injuries to boot.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fixed that for you and removed the 5 superfluous words.

Still cannot fathom why City signed him, looked good in a very average Leeds team than ran about a lot. Also can’t figure out how he makes every england squad too. I really don’t rate him at all, bang average.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He isn't 18 though is he? He doesn't seem to have improved from the time he was 18.
If I'm honest he looks like a talented kid that's progression has flatlined entirely, with injuries to boot.
Largely because of an ACL to be fair, but I'd certainly hope we're reluctant to pay that type of money upfront. I think if we could get a loan with an option, see if he can kick on, we take very little risk and he gets to audition to be our #9 going forward. I sense that's what the club are looking for, and probably emphasising to other clubs that the buy option would be taken up if they perform.

Just seen Southampton apparently want £6 million for Che Adams, although it is TalkSport. I think that's about fair actually, although he has six months left on his deal, he's a key player in their promotion push. Wonder if we can afford a figure like that without breaching FFP? It could depend on further outgoings this month- i.e. Jonny and Guedes. I do like Adams as a player, think he could add something a bit different to our front three, even as a bit-part player it would be a sensible investment.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Broja hasn't shown a thing since his major injury. 35m is 20m too much imo.
Can't see anyone stumping £35m up front for him, or on a loan obligation. They'll need to reduce their price or accept loan with option I reckon.

But usually when we're linked to players alongside other prem clubs it tends to be agent talk.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d offer Chelsea £15m for Broja plus bonuses of £5m for every season he scored 12 PL goals or more over a 5 year contract.

If he’s that good they will be confident of getting 30-40m in the long term.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see anyone stumping £35m up front for him, or on a loan obligation. They'll need to reduce their price or accept loan with option I reckon.

But usually when we're linked to players alongside other prem clubs it tends to be agent talk.
Way way too much for someone who isn’t scoring. We aren’t that stupid. Anyone coming in will be on loan. Reyna not a bad shout especially if we sell Guedes!!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather have Che Adams for 6m. 35m for Broja!! Worlds gone mad. Chelsea owners have no concept on players value at all. Just because they get mugged off on average players doesn’t mean teams will buy from them in the same vain

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rather have Che Adams for 6m. 35m for Broja!! Worlds gone mad. Chelsea owners have no concept on players value at all. Just because they get mugged off on average players doesn’t mean teams will buy from them in the same vain
I imagine the press coverage over the last couple of days has been pushed by Chelsea to try and encourage a move. They'll have to come down some way from £35 for that to happen!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have sold players or moved on some massive wages since our latest accounts
Neves £30 million profit alone , Nunes, Collins, Traore, Moutinho ,Coady, Costa Jimenez and Podence . Terminated the large contract with Lopetegui and his chums.
We have moved on massive salaries reductions and more this January with Sasa and Silva , I am positive we have done more than enough there . Look at the remaining squad its skeletal , probably our cheapest salary cost since promotion. The big loss was a one off to avoid relegation.
No way do we have to move people on first , we wont have a squad fit for purpose. Look at our bench.
The big loss was only a one off because of the big sales though. Everyone talks about Amortisation because it’s this great thing that allows you to spend loads of money, but if you sign a squad of players for say £500m on 5 year deals with £100m wages you’ll have costs of £200m in that year. Next year if you do absolutely nothing in the transfer window your costs are £200m again despite not signing anyone. So if you make a loss in year one chances are you’ll make a loss in year two, and three, and four unless you start selling players for more than their remaining value or manage to increase other revenue.

If we lost £70m last year, without intervention we’d have lost £70m again this year and be over the limit.

I agree our wages are probably a lot lower now and back to levels of our first season in the PL, I’d say that was probably necessary though because our wage bill was far too bloated for the return we were getting the last couple of years.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The big loss was only a one off because of the big sales though. Everyone talks about Amortisation because it’s this great thing that allows you to spend loads of money, but if you sign a squad of players for say £500m on 5 year deals with £100m wages you’ll have costs of £200m in that year. Next year if you do absolutely nothing in the transfer window your costs are £200m again despite not signing anyone. So if you make a loss in year one chances are you’ll make a loss in year two, and three, and four unless you start selling players for more than their remaining value or manage to increase other revenue.

If we lost £70m last year, without intervention we’d have lost £70m again this year and be over the limit.

I agree our wages are probably a lot lower now and back to levels of our first season in the PL, I’d say that was probably necessary though because our wage bill was far too bloated for the return we were getting the last couple of years.
We have made the changes .
We havent got a squad that cost £500 million . Cunha is our one costly squad member to be written off over many years. Neves made £30 million profit this year . And we lost almost all our highly paid staff bar Sarabia (who cost a mere £5 million over 2 and a half years. ) So all of that post is not applicable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom