Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2021 Transfer Window

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was always the intention for Fabio to be given time to develop as far as I understand. I'm not sure the price tag is really relevant as it was a long term investment..
The price tag is always relevant as it is high risk sunk money that has not been invested wisely in the here and now and as a result hinders us from operating more effectively right now. I get the desire for a long term strategy but given where we are, not when it ties up £35M of precious transfer spending that hampers us in the meantime. I don’t think Neto, Podence etc will hang around hoping it all materialises - they will just move on, albeit probably at a healthy profit - which is probably the short term strategy. The Silva thing just looks more and more ridiculous from purely a business perspective every day to me and as I posted elsewhere - we just look like Mendes’ gimp. From a footballing perspective it looks equally inept a decision and I think many are being fooled into thinking it is part of some cunning master plan that other clubs just don’t understand and that sets us apart. I think we all need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Because Jeff also said the plan was to win the Premier League within 10 years? Something about being in the Champions League, too. These statements will be out there, on record too. And I can't see how we can bridge the gap to that level - a bigger gap than Championship to Premier - without spending more than we bring in.

Just like people keep saying with Silva - "Long Term Investment". They spend more than is coming in now, to promote our club globally, so we eventually sell more merch globally and so on. Well, at least that's what I thought they meant. Has Covid changed the plan? Would explain why mid table is now our stated goal this season. Some expectation management would be a good thing, as some of us were getting a bit over excited about all that talk of challenging at the very top. :)

Or are we to selectively ignore some of the things Jeff has said, while cherry picking others?

I agree. This is why I liked Laurie so much - when he was here I always felt he had an innate desire to both keep us informed but also to build optimism and momentum.

Under his leadership the vision was clear, well communicated and he had a modern outlook which sustained and built on the ‘a club that’s going places’ theme.

we’ve definitely lost that now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're exaggerating how bad things are.

Five injuries isn't a lot IMO. I would expect most teams always have 3 or 4 out, so 5/6 is hardly mental.

I would say our squad is three short, CB, CM, ST - something most have said for the past two years in truth.
Half our strongest XI are out. Most clubs cope with five injuries because it's a sub here or there, or a couple of players in the same position. When Klopp was moaning about his ten injuries Mourinho did a nice run through of his team, he was basically missing two players

We literally have our best striker, best defender (when on form), best left back, biggest presence in midfield, and possibly our most inventive forward all out at the same time. They all start if they're fit, and they all play different positions. If the injuries were Jimenez, Moutinho, Jonny, Marçal and Otasowie we'd still have five injuries and a lot of inexperience on the bench but we'd be able to cope a lot better with those five out than the five we have

Excluding the out and out striker we need currently. A forward that can play across the line is all I'd add in terms of numbers (and that's mainly because we're sometimes using 4-2-3-1). I'd like a proper box to box powerhouse midfielder but it would be with one going out, think four central midfielders is enough and numbers in defence are fine but you can always improve the quality

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half our strongest XI are out. Most clubs cope with five injuries because it's a sub here or there, or a couple of players in the same position. When Klopp was moaning about his ten injuries Mourinho did a nice run through of his team, he was basically missing two players

We literally have our best striker, best defender (when on form), best left back, biggest presence in midfield, and possibly our most inventive forward all out at the same time. They all start if they're fit, and they all play different positions. If the injuries were Jimenez, Moutinho, Jonny, Marçal and Otasowie we'd still have five injuries and a lot of inexperience on the bench but we'd be able to cope a lot better with those five out than the five we have

Excluding the out and out striker we need currently. A forward that can play across the line is all I'd add in terms of numbers (and that's mainly because we're sometimes using 4-2-3-1). I'd like a proper box to box powerhouse midfielder but it would be with one going out, think four central midfielders is enough and numbers in defence are fine but you can always improve the quality
Agreed
It’s the equivalent of

Liverpool - Firminio , salah, Robertson, van djik, Henderson

villa - Watkins, grealish , mginn, cash, Mings

united - fernandes , rashford , maguire, magic, Shaw

Southampton - ward prowse, ings, Bertrand, vestegard, Walcott

Chelsea - giroud , mount , pulisic , James, zouma

missing 6 first team players is an absolutely massive impact.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don't accuse me of being disloyal though, you're way off the mark with that comment, and in your post which I replied to you hypothesised that Raúl is fine

I also don't think Raúl will be out for anywhere near 8-10 months
I think he could be. I had a similar injury and was screwed for a long time.
Strange as well, considering the summer outlay was £0.
How do you work this out?

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Agreed
It’s the equivalent of

Liverpool - Firminio , salah, Robertson, van djik, Henderson

villa - Watkins, grealish , mginn, cash, Mings

united - fernandes , rashford , maguire, magic, Shaw

Southampton - ward prowse, ings, Bertrand, vestegard, Walcott

Chelsea - giroud , mount , pulisic , James, zouma

missing 6 first team players is an absolutely massive impact.
People won't like it if you talk sense on here!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

refer to this
Nketiah was a false lead. We are NOT after him. Please drop it.

D

Deleted member 4008

If we don't find a CF soon and persist with Silva some people are going to look VERY stupid and we are going to be struggling to stay up. He is far from ready to lead the line.
I think if they persist with him he might be losing a 0 off his price tag and joining Cutrone and Bonatini on loans . Clearly is not ready and it's unfair on the kid . If they don't strengthen then we might be 14th or below come end of season .

I said at the beginning of season around 10th that was with a fully fit squad . The current one 14th is about right imo

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't find a CF soon and persist with Silva some people are going to look VERY stupid and we are going to be struggling to stay up. He is far from ready to lead the line.
If we persist with Silva everyone will be all in on the people running the club

But I think the chances of us continuing with Silva and not getting anyone in are basically zero

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Loan/Permanent Free ? I am not bothered so long as we address where we all know we have a major problem -in terms of scoring goals .
I remain positive but I am disappointed we haven’t recruited early .The season isn’t waiting for us .We need the spark of a new forward now not scratching around at the end of the month .

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you let us know how you are so sure Fosun don't see it as a long term?
I don't know. Does every ****ing thing you say on here get questioned? I'm sure when Fosun bought us in 2107 they would have planned for us to achieve CL way before 2029. I think that a pretty reasonable assumption.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I don't know. Does every ****ing thing you say on here get questioned? I'm sure when Fosun bought us in 2107 they would have planned for us to achieve CL way before 2029. I think that a pretty reasonable assumption.
Jeff spoke last year about 10 years plan so it’s reasonable isn’t it to imagine he was talking about 2029/30 there’s a vast difference between us and top elite clubs it takes time especially when you factor in ffp as well which Chelsea and Man City didn’t have when they were in their ascend.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is zero chance of a relegation battle.
It’s like some don’t watch us, or other teams! We have been up and down all season, but we deserved to beat Chelsea and Arsenal, we’re more than worthy of a point at United and v Villa. A **** half at Brighton and a crap performance at Burnley means we are going down!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No doubt I will be slated but it actually would be very easy to get drawn into a battle if we arent too careful. Not saying we will but if we dont pick up a win against Everton or the **** and then have Chelsea away things will and could start to look a bit nervy if others below start to pick a few wins up. We need a few wins on the board and soon. One win in seven isnt great at all.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like him or loath him, that is an excellent shout and would fit the bill for our current sitauation perfectly.
Or Glenn Murray whose loan spell at Watford may be coming to an end. He would have been just the type to have buried the type of chances v Brighton and Spurs

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see how he'd ever pass the "no *********" test though.
Definitely wouldn't have a few years ago, when he's interviewed though he tends to speak quite lot of sense and 'seems' quite humble, maybe his ******** days are behind him?

As a player he'd be a good shout

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or Glenn Murray whose loan spell at Watford may be coming to an end. He would have been just the type to have buried the type of chances v Brighton and Spurs
Couldn't get in a Brighton team that is hardly free-scoring....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but I’d rather have some “*********” that can score goals rather than a team of “ nice guys” that can’t.
In one way l agree so long as there isn't a negative impact on the dressing room. You only need to look back to Stake/Clownders for what can go wrong...

forge

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I disagree, I've seen countless times where teams begin to struggle, and with performances as of late - specifically Burnley and Brighton I wouldn't discount one. The premier league is one of, if not the most, ruthless league in the world. We need to get roughly 40 points in order to assure that we stay up. If you look at the statistics we have the 6th lowest XG on average in the entire league. If there are anymore serious injuries or tactical **** ups - to put it bluntly - we really aren't that far from entering a relegation battle.

Futhermore, just look at the record of the teams currently below us. We have a record either the same or worse in the past five matches than Palace and Burnley while only getting one more point than Fulham, and Brighton.

Also consider that teams like Newcastle, Burnley, and Fulham have played 1-2 less games than us. If they win these games the point difference between us and them could get very very tight

I'm just saying don't discount a relegation battle.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree, I've seen countless times where teams begin to struggle, and with performances as of late - specifically Burnley and Brighton I wouldn't discount one. The premier league is one of, if not the most, ruthless league in the world. We need to get roughly 40 points in order to assure that we stay up. If you look at the statistics we have the 6th lowest XG on average in the entire league. If there are anymore serious injuries or tactical **** ups - to put it bluntly - we really aren't that far from entering a relegation battle.

Futhermore, just look at the record of the teams currently below us. We have a record either the same or worse in the past five matches than Palace and Burnley while only getting one more point than Fulham, and Brighton.

Also consider that teams like Newcastle, Burnley, and Fulham have played 1-2 less games than us. If they win these games the point difference between us and them could get very very tight

I'm just saying don't discount a relegation battle.
Would you like to include the recent performances, specifically against Chelsea and Spurs? You know, just for balance

We won't be in a relegation fight

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the Times he is making £100,000 a week. This is on par with how much we pay Rui, and Moutiniho

100k pw after tax in the UK is just shy of 200k though.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you like to include the recent performances, specifically against Chelsea and Spurs? You know, just for balance

We won't be in a relegation fight
If we lose to Everton and not beat albion questions have to start being asked very quickly. I hope that isn’t the case but we need reinforcements

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all. You sign Jovic, cash in on Raúl and bring in a player that can play wide as well as through the middle as that's the kind of player that should be between Raúl and Silva. They can still get games without necessarily hindering Silva's development.

Those decisions don't need to be made this window though, our priority this window is a centre forward to play the rest of the season and ideally (in my opinion) that Origi/King type that can fill in through the middle if needed but also be utilised elsewhere. That would be the forward areas covered
Btw...Jovic isn’t a Raul. He doesn’t really suit lone or more isolated striker. For the same reason as Werner is failing as a winger, his success was based on a partnership with Haller.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Btw...Jovic isn’t a Raul. He doesn’t really suit lone or more isolated striker. For the same reason as Werner is failing as a winger, his success was based on a partnership with Haller.
For the purposes of my post it made no difference that Jovic isn't a Raúl. The hypothesis was that Raúl is fine after his injury but Jovic does brilliant in his stead

Reaction score
We are a couple of wins away from challenging for the European spots, this season will continue to be unpredictable. We must not throw away a great chance of champions league football. Surely the people at Wolves must see this and get in a couple of attacking players including a possible replacement for Raul (he may never be the same player again). I know this isn't easy in Jan but a little bit of outlay now may reap some amazing rewards.

However saying all that Costa would be a big no for me, we need someone who can play most weeks until the end of the season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom