Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ipswich Verdict

M

merseawolf

Thanks for the report.. personally now if saiss And price are the way forward in midfield I'd like to see a more attacking player playing in the no10 role. We've got the defence minded pairing giving us a solid foundation, we now just have to create more.
I would love to see Costa in a free role with Marshall and Cavaliero wide.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we are improving slow and steady let's hope we can start winning starting on Saturday Price & Saiss we've been wanting for ages now PL has seen the light. Don't get why he played Bod I think he needs to asses Gladon and say look even if it's last 20 of a game give the bloke a chance bod hasn't scored since last year wtf is that all about

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the point that we have probably been unfortunate to lose a few games lately but in life in my opinion you make your own luck.
Saiss indeed last night was our best player. I understand that confidence plays a huge part in a teams ability to play free flowing football but the standard of play last night was truely appalling
How do YOU know Saiss was our best player (he was though clearly) you was in the bar for the whole of the second half drinking Stella LOL

hristisenas

Reaction score
Just a word of appreciation to those who goes to games, and take time out to write their verdicts. For those of us, who live far away, and cant go as often, threads like this are always the first I look through after a match Ive not watched, to get a nuanced view of how we played.
So keep up the good work! Much appreciated....!
I second that. Very much appreciated. Thanks.

M

merseawolf

How do YOU know Saiss was our best player (he was though clearly) you was in the bar for the whole of the second half drinking Stella LOL
He was the best of a bad bunch from what i saw first half:D:D
Got to say i am embarrased by not returning to my seat to watch 2nd half but i was with a load of Ipswich fans and the appeal of a skinfull of beer was greater at the time than watching another half of the dross i saw. Glad it improved for u all in 2nd half!

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers for your report Ercall.

I cannot stand these "I heard posts".

You see or you don't, simple. The rest imo is just your pre conceived agendas and opinions coming out based on what your mates say might or might not have happened. Hence the Edwards dig yet again.
Pleasure

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I agree when it comes to match analysis, you can get a general idea or overview from Mikey and Thommo who are at the game. Regarding Edwards though, the vendetta against him is nonsense. All players have good and bad games but when Edwards has a stinker, it becomes a hanging offence. Small minds with narrow horizons!

Maybe a player who has six stinkers in a row should be dropped?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to say i am embarrased by not returning to my seat to watch 2nd half but i was with a load of Ipswich fans and the appeal of a skinfull of beer was greater at the time than watching another half of the dross i saw. Glad it improved for u all in 2nd half!
So you didn't even notice that both sides had 22 players on the pitch then.:D

F

FLEET WOLF

I think we are improving slow and steady let's hope we can start winning starting on Saturday Price & Saiss we've been wanting for ages now PL has seen the light. Don't get why he played Bod I think he needs to asses Gladon and say look even if it's last 20 of a game give the bloke a chance bod hasn't scored since last year wtf is that all about
I understand your point about Gladon, but reports I have read on here from people who have seen him in games suggest that he is no where near good enough. Whilst I have my doubts about Lambert and our coaches in terms of assessing players, perhaps even they have got it right with him and believe me, if they think he is likely to score fewer goals than Bod, or indeed Dicko, then he must be utter ****e!

M

merseawolf

So you didn't even notice that both sides had 22 players on the pitch then.:D
All i saw mate was 2 awful sides trying hard not to get beat which makes for an awful spectacle but hey ho a point towards survival and a very sore head on the school scooter run this morning:D

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Well, fair play to Lambert then. He has saved his job with the Ipswich result, and if he wins on Saturday, I think he is safe for the season. Hope it's good enough to keep us up for this season.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the long & winding road back to Stockport. I think we have started a new system, with Saiss as libero- in between the centre backs when we don't have the ball and spreading the play in midfiels when we do, with some terrific 50 yard cross field passes swtiching our play. Price, with more licence, played higher up the field and picked up the ball a lot, because we continually broke up their play and launched counter attacks via the flanks. We got to the byline a lot in the second half but got no breaks when the half chances came, because Mick has recently halted their slide by making them so hard to beat - their fullbacks didn't cross the halfway line.

Saville & Doherty played more like wing backs, which helped us win so much ball in midfield. Ikeme dealt with all their dead ball crosses - their only real threat - and we were first to all the second balls in our area and hoofed them clear; 'no nonsense' defending.

The front 3 tried hard to create & finish and never gave up. We ratcheted up the pressure in the final quarter but Ipswich held out, with a bit of help from the Ref and Lady Luck.

At home, we desperately need Cav & Mason to give us more speed of thought in the final third, but last night is EXACTLY how to play away in this League when you are fighting relegation. It's never going to be easy on the eye, especially in the physical intensity of first halves, but we outfought a very physical team last night and earned the right to pin them back in the second half. No quibbles from me - there was a lot to build on. We ain't going down while they show that level of determination.

T

TacticalWolf88

On the long & winding road back to Stockport. I think we have started a new system, with Saiss as libero- in between the centre backs when we don't have the ball and spreading the play in midfiels when we do, with some terrific 50 yard cross field passes swtiching our play. Price, with more licence, played higher up the field and picked up the ball a lot, because we continually broke up their play and launched counter attacks via the flanks. We got to the byline a lot in the second half but got no breaks when the half chances came, because Mick has recently halted their slide by making them so hard to beat - their fullbacks didn't cross the halfway line.

Saville & Doherty played more like wing backs, which helped us win so much ball in midfield. Ikeme dealt with all their dead ball crosses - their only real threat - and we were first to all the second balls in our area and hoofed them clear; 'no nonsense' defending.

The front 3 tried hard to create & finish and never gave up. We ratcheted up the pressure in the final quarter but Ipswich held out, with a bit of help from the Ref and Lady Luck.

At home, we desperately need Cav & Mason to give us more speed of thought in the final third, but last night is EXACTLY how to play away in this League when you are fighting relegation. It's never going to be easy on the eye, especially in the physical intensity of first halves, but we outfought a very physical team last night and earned the right to pin them back in the second half. No quibbles from me - there was a lot to build on. We ain't going down while they show that level of determination.

The system started at Reading, Saiss was dropping in between Batth and Hause regularly then too

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the last two games, we have played out a bore draw in the first half, then dominated the second.
Can't we go at it from the off ?

D

Deleted member 4257

I thought we played OK
Not great OK, a point at Portman Road is good and we could've won if Lambert knew how to bring subs on.
We got a good point last night and a chance for 3 on Saturday and we will pressure the teams above us.

F

FLEET WOLF

Well, fair play to Lambert then. He has saved his job with the Ipswich result, and if he wins on Saturday, I think he is safe for the season. Hope it's good enough to keep us up for this season.
You might be correct, but a defeat or draw on Saturday might see him out. I was a supporter of Lambert and thought he would be good for us-he still might be. I agree with you that he should be safe for the rest of the season if we win on Saturday. However, it will still be necessary for the Club to look at how the team does from Rotherham until the end of the season-if we still struggle and perhaps only avoid relegation by a point or two, or on goal difference, then I would sack him. If he gets a few wins and draws and we finish up perhaps just under mid-table, then I would give him a chance for next season, but probably only for the first 10 games or so and if we are struggling and off the pace, he would have to go.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand your point about Gladon, but reports I have read on here from people who have seen him in games suggest that he is no where near good enough. Whilst I have my doubts about Lambert and our coaches in terms of assessing players, perhaps even they have got it right with him and believe me, if they think he is likely to score fewer goals than Bod, or indeed Dicko, then he must be utter ****e!

Ok fair enough gladon is a dud....

Let's play Edwards up front with Dicko what's the worst that could happen?

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it was a good point at the end of the day but it easily could have been more.

The first half was very difficult to watch, two teams who either repeatedly gave the ball away or just passed it back to the keeper. So the second half could only get better?! and it did, we were a lot more positive, and for two 10-15 minute spells really had them on the ropes, getting in behind their defence in wide positions but perhaps lacking that cutting edge and luck to get on the scoresheet.

I was pleased with the overall effort and our midfield who actually imposed themselves well on the game which had been a problem in recent games against Mick's cloggers. Thought Lambert could have brought on Costa 10-15 minutes earlier but I think he was happy to play for the point, and I suppose if we beat Rotherham he'll be vindicated.

Ratings:

Ikeme - 6: Only had one real save to make and it required decent reactions. However, his distribution is so very slow and takes all the momentum out of our attacks sometimes, though in fairness he's not helped by a lack of movement sometimes.

Doherty - 5.5: Maybe a little harsh but I thought his decision making defensively wasn't the best at times and he wasn't as much of a threat going forward as he usually is in the LB position.

Batth - 5: I think we need to replace him if we're going to improve, so frustrating to watch, lumbering, slow, too cautious on the ball and just struggles with the footballing side of things too much.

Hause - 6: Did the hard stuff well but is a bit too cavalier on the ball sometimes.

Saville - 6: I'll give him a six because he stood up to the task of playing in a position he should never be in, but saying that he just shouldn't be playing left back.

Price - 6: Does the simple stuff well! cleans up, was positive on the ball at times but I think defensive duties are his limits.

Saiss - 8 (MOTM): I am really impressed with him, especially with his second half performance, he imposed himself physically on the game, can read what's gonna happen quicker than anyone else, do the simple stuff that Price does but can also pick out a pass to any Wolves player, must start.

Edwards - 6: I'm unsure on Edwards, he makes lots of good runs and does the harrying and pressing which is very important but he's just not creative enough to be playing in that position all of the time. As we know his form fluctuates throughout the season so I think now is the time to make way for someone else for the time being.

Weimann - 6: I thought he tried hard and made a lot of good runs but his end product whether it was deliveries in the box or a couple of efforts on goal was lacking a little.

Marshall - 7: Barely got into the game first half but when he got on the ball he provided some good interplay and was a danger when given a couple of yards. Couple of good set piece deliveries and hit the bar from a free kick, promising.

Bodvarsson - 7: I thought he did well, he's got a thankless task playing up front against Berra and Smith and didn't get a lot of joy in the air but when he had the ball down he held it up well and got in behind their back four which nearly led to an opening for someone to knock it in, hit the post too.

Subs:

Costa - Not really on for long enough to make a real impact sadly, showed some great skill to win a free kick though.

Lambert: Happy for a point I think but really I think they were there for the taking second half, could have brought Costa on sooner.

Fans: Low turnout but that was obviously expected, not helped that they bloody split us into two separate blocks! what was that all about? Must have been the two different sets of pricing. Respect to those around me who most of obviously go to every game without fail.

Let's get those three points against Rotherham and push on from there! Come on you Wolves.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
This isn't a personal dig, but I will never understand people who pay £30+ to drink beer in a concourse.
Why don't you just stay in the pub?
If the game was 2-2 at half time would you have watched the 2nd half?
It's like people leaving 10 minutes early to beat the traffic I'd much rather watch the match and sit in 10 mins more traffic than miss a last minute winner.

M

merseawolf

This isn't a personal dig, but I will never understand people who pay £30+ to drink beer in a concourse.
Why don't you just stay in the pub?
If the game was 2-2 at half time would you have watched the 2nd half?
It's like people leaving 10 minutes early to beat the traffic I'd much rather watch the match and sit in 10 mins more traffic than miss a last minute winner.
I've never done it before. I was with a load of mates on a freebie and we had drunk a lot of lager in the afternoon and i was sitting in with Ipswich directors. I should of paid for a ticket and sat with my Dad in with the Wolves fans and i would of watched whole game without doubt. It was such a poor first half i was finding it so boring no atmosphere i was starting to get a bit gobby so thought it best to stay in the bar with 6 others who also had seen enough. I wont be doing it again:(

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm just glad we stopped the rot, that was number 1 priority. Now for the cup final on Saturday which we need to win, no excuses.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never done it before. I was with a load of mates on a freebie and we had drunk a lot of lager in the afternoon and i was sitting in with Ipswich directors. I should of paid for a ticket and sat with my Dad in with the Wolves fans and i would of watched whole game without doubt. It was such a poor first half i was finding it so boring no atmosphere i was starting to get a bit gobby so thought it best to stay in the bar with 6 others who also had seen enough. I wont be doing it again:(
Don't apologise you were one of 443 there and I've suffered Ipswich away on a Tuesday night, you deserve the skinful! I've walked out of Chelsea at 35 minutes gone when Mick took off Milijas, no one can tell me I was right or wrong, that's my choice and no one else's to judge

Last edited:
F

FLEET WOLF

Don't apologise you were one of 443 there and I've suffered Ipswich away on a tires night, you deserve the skinful! I've walked out of Chelsea at 35 minutes gone when Mick took off Milijas, no one can tell me I was right or wrong, that's my choice and no one else's to judge
I wouldn't do something like that, but as you rightly say, it is anybody's own personal choice to do that.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't do something like that, but as you rightly say, it is anybody's own personal choice to do that.
On the flip side I stayed every last second of that 5-1, hated it but thought I'll never feel this low again

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loopy....trust me...If you had been there ,you d have been very happy to drink Stella rather than watch another 45 mins of that garbage !!!

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The system started at Reading, Saiss was dropping in between Batth and Hause regularly then too

I know but this was consolidated last night and I really like the flexibility it gives us and Saiss. His long range passing is Beckamesque and both Price and Edwards were able to play like Everton's much-vaunted dogs of war in midfield because of this, ripping the ball off Ipswich's physically hard players. They were well outfought and in the Championship that is what matters in midfield. When Mason or Ronan replaces one of them in home games, we'll start to find ways to break down the sides we can't at the moment.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think, for some time, he has been carrying a strain of some sort which has limited his mobility around the park, which was apparently his forte in the French League, so that might explain it, but he might now become a fixture, as it must have been the manager who carved out that role for him, maybe after seeing him do it for Morocco last month.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ivan, werent you worried in case Lambo decided to sub you on for the last ten minutes? ;)

M

merseawolf

Don't apologise you were one of 443 there and I've suffered Ipswich away on a Tuesday night, you deserve the skinful! I've walked out of Chelsea at 35 minutes gone when Mick took off Milijas, no one can tell me I was right or wrong, that's my choice and no one else's to judge
The Liverpool and sunderland and 3 or 4 Ipswich fans didnt even come out for the first half!!:D:D

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really interesting to read the reports, as always. Thanks for the observations and views. Regarding those points earlier about those of us that aren't at the match but post comments that aren't what those present agree with, Mikey Burrows and Tommo were really downbeat last night and I seem to recall Mikey saying it was the worst game he'd commented on for a long time. You can get an overall view on players from what the commentators describe, like Saiss rescuing Danny on one occasion or the constant references to hoofing the ball before Berra headed it back, but the negative views after the match were very much in line with how the match was described. Good to hear others present disagree with Mikey, but still understandable how supporters listening to the commentary might be concerned!

D

Deleted member 3518

Too right, used to spend many second halves in the Terrace Bar until Morgan destroyed the NB. Similar with away games my day out my choice, strangely stopped till the end of the Wigan away game this season, as was bemused by how **** it was!!

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone have the footage of the penalty that seemed to be stone wall last night
Would love to see it again because last night I am convinced like everyone I spoke to agreed it was a penalty

M

merseawolf

Does anyone have the footage of the penalty that seemed to be stone wall last night
Would love to see it again because last night I am convinced like everyone I spoke to agreed it was a penalty
Seemed to me the ref gave the free kick on Doherty outside the box for the initial tug back rather than what happened inside the box. So annoying that we never seem to get many big decisions go our way. What i dont get is why the ref lets play continue almost like giving Doherty the chance to advance, he does so and wins a stonewall penalty and then bottles it by going back to a minor foul. Poor refereeing in my book

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seemed to me the ref gave the free kick on Doherty outside the box for the initial tug back rather than what happened inside the box. So annoying that we never seem to get many big decisions go our way. What i dont get is why the ref lets play continue almost like giving Doherty the chance to advance, he does so and wins a stonewall penalty and then bottles it by going back to a minor foul. Poor refereeing in my book
As soon as the foul was committed inside the box the first thing I did as always was to look a at the ref
It looked like he pointed straight to the penalty but then the linesman signalled for a free kick just outside the box
As an aside a couple Ipswich fans I was talking to at half time said to me they thought it was a stone wall penalty and was amazed it wasn't given, they Said "the referee bottled it"" to which I replied bottled it!!! Why the **** would he bottle it, we're at sleepy Portman Road not exactly intimidating is it

E

Essex Wolf

Met Ercall and his mate in the pub but unfortunately any others that i was supposed to meet obviously missed. Upon hearing the team news all of us sat there looking at each other somewhat bemused with shaking heads saying all that needed to be. With a pint of Sam Adams at £4.60 a go I left the pub wondering if the evening was only going to get worse.

Entering PR it resembled more a morgue than a football stadium with neither set of supporters seeming that bothered about creating much of an atmosphere. The offical away support came up as 443 but seeing as merseawolf was in the directors box there was actually 444:) If there were more I don't know where they were. Those who did turn up offered decent support periodically but there was nothing to really get the supporters of either side excited.

Pretty poor and boring 1st half although Ipswich had a chance really late on as a result of a defensive mix up that Ikeme was alert to and dealt with. That said I was convinced Wolves were denied a clear penalty from what looked well inside the Ipswich penalty area. One of the Wolves supporters I was with lives in Ipswich and had an Ipswich supporting mate sitting diagonally opposite us. Sent my mate a text saying it was well inside so if an ITFC supporter says it then it seems yet again poor referreeing has denied us. Berra seemed scared crapless of any pace and relied on the big hoof constantly. With Cav, Costa and Dicko on the bench it seemed Lambert would surely bring on at least one of those 3 for the 2nd half but amazingly the same team appeared for the next 45mins.

Wolves seemed a far better outfit the second half and looked the more likely to score albeit Ipswich still had the odd breakway which caused concern. Think every Wolves fan was so desperate just not to lose that a 0-0 seemed a real positive. As the game wore on I was getting worried that for all Wolves efforts they would again be denied anything from a game that their 2nd half performance deserved. With Bod and Marshall both hitting the woodwork it became more and more evident this just wasn't going to be Wolves night. So at final whistle a huge sigh of relief knowing that Wolves had at least stopped the losing streak and managed a clean sheet. With it being an away game at last some positives but it really could and maybe should have been more.

Of the team, Ikeme didn't have a great deal to do but when called upon done his bit.
Doherty should have had a penalty and worked hard but didn't do much of real note.
Saville done okay but really isn't a FB and fail to see why he is picked when there are other choices more suited and were available.
Hause and Batth, well a clean sheet makes it sound as if they played well but Ipswich offered so little neither were really stretched yet they still helped Ipswich with some awful play being to indecisive on more than the odd occasion. On a few occasions seemed to make more of a hash of things than was justified and Hause seemed very heavy with a few back passes. Williamson alongside either I feel would make a big difference because neither looked comfortable and that's against a very average side.

Thought Weimann had about his best game for Wolves so far and Marshall showed what he can offer with the free kick and some well taken corners. Unlucky with the free kick but would hope his performance gives him confidence and I for one thought he played well. Price was busy and covered a lot of ground whilst Edwards was his as usual workmen self but didn't really offer much. MOTM by a country mile was Saiss. He was always making himself available, cleared up several lose balls and joined in up front in an effort to get the ball in the mix so to speak. If ever a player was a shoo in for Saturday then Saiss is that player.

Bod as ever worked hard and was unlucky to hit the post late on with some good skill giving the chance to shot. Hit the post and then rebounded of the GK's legs for a corner. Another day it's a goal but when lucks against you, well there you go.

Only substitution was Costa on 82mins. Farcical decision as the more the game went on the more uncomfortable Berra looked and any good play involving Wolves came as a result of fast play. It was being said before the game how Ipswich have a slow back line and so it turned out to be. With 3 pacy players on the bench the game really was screaming out for one or two to come on and really give the Ipswich defence something to worry about but for some God forsaken reason Lambert yet again failed to see the obvious and there really can be no excuse for his unbelievable awful use of a good bench. Quite what this man sees and thinks is anyones guess and whilst a point following a 0-0 away is an improvement it really was a case of 2 points maybe lost because Lambert was yet again clueless.

Good to see the whole team at the final whistle come over and applaud the away support.

Back
Top Bottom