Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ian Burchnall

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you been given a job?

I am merely referring to the ongoing onslaught that follows absolutely everything we do at the moment.. “championship level” “tin pot”..

The guy is about the right level to be an assistant to Gary O’Neil.. who admittedly we all know is very lucky to have been given a job at this level. But, this guy hasn’t even started his work yet, and it’s already a bloodbath.

You’re right, but therein lies the issue - the fact that the club appointed GON, so this is the level of coach who’s appropriate. I’ve nothing against GON or the assistant coaches, but as you say, and I think even GON implied when he joined, they’re bloody lucky to have this gig. That puts them immediately on the defensive, since fans can’t look at their record and reassure themselves that given time, they will succeed.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that it started as managed decline. I have some doubts that they are any longer in full control.
Spot on WW. It may have started as some form of 'managed decline', ( though for what reason I'm not sure), now it's just 'decline'? And unfortunately it ain't funny.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To amplify @WeAreTheWolvesII point above...
Gary Neville made an interesting point on Sunday, talking about United. He said words to the effect that once you start to dial back your ambition it all goes wrong. Thus United's ambition is no longer to win the league, it's to finish fourth.
That's what I worry about with Wolves. Our ambition is very clearly no longer to be 'best of the rest.' I don't even think it's to be in the top half. I'm certain our owners will define success as finishing 17th this season - and GON is clearly a manager recruited to do that. "He kept Bournemouth up. We've got better players so he'll keep us up."
No way that doesn't communicate itself to the players...
Interesting analogy with Utd and thinking about it, how true. They're a club now happy with 4th, we're a club happy with 17th. So sad.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am merely referring to the ongoing onslaught that follows absolutely everything we do at the moment.. “championship level” “tin pot”..

The guy is about the right level to be an assistant to Gary O’Neil.. who admittedly we all know is very lucky to have been given a job at this level. But, this guy hasn’t even started his work yet, and it’s already a bloodbath.
Have you not read Norwegian Wolf's post above? If that does not shock you to the core, from a first-hand witness to this jerk, then nothing will. We are sliding nearer to relegation as each week passes and each new appointment comes in.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you not read Norwegian Wolf's post above? If that does not shock you to the core, from a first-hand witness to this jerk, then nothing will. We are sliding nearer to relegation as each week passes and each new appointment comes in.
I’ve read it yeah.. I’ve also listened to what the FGR fan thought of him in that video doing the rounds.

Not a fan of David Brent myself, but it’s not like we’re gonna have to listen to him talk ever. Because he isn’t our head coach, he’s an assistant.. and I was just stating that an assistant to Gary O’Neil is probably about his level. Unfortunately O’Neil has a job that’s probably above his level though.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve read it yeah.. I’ve also listened to what the FGR fan thought of him in that video doing the rounds.

Not a fan of David Brent myself, but it’s not like we’re gonna have to listen to him talk ever. Because he isn’t our head coach, he’s an assistant.. and I was just stating that an assistant to Gary O’Neil is probably about his level. Unfortunately O’Neil has a job that’s probably above his level though.
Blimey, talk about talking in riddles? Not sure if you think he's a good appointment or a poor one?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I guess any hope that we may have had of GON getting a more experienced, tactically astute assistant to help him through the learning curve has been dashed. Other clubs with rookie managers often appoint experienced assistants to help them develop the nous required, not Wolves.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knew I recognised that name. A mate of mine is a big Notts County fan and I went to a few games not long back when he was manager. Their fans thought he was alright, but a bit of a bighead if I remember right? They played some ok football but it was national league level.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think @Cornwall Wolf opinion is a good barometer on the appointment as they have experience in the coaching circle

Whenever they have the time and energy to post

P.s hope your treatment is going well

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Several. But never 2 leagues ahead of my CV :D

Yes, it does get much. I think most of those are just genuinely concerned about the club as we appear to have been sleepwalking steadily downwards for several years. Rather than write an A level English level paragraph articulating what they think, the words "tin pot" sum it up concisely, though not literally.

It's a difficult choice as none of us can see the future. Which is why employers tend to look very carefully at experience and qualifications before appointing someone in a vital position. If he fails, it is a huge "told you so , it was inevitable he never had the experience". If a better qualified personb fails, at least the decision can be defended with a "he's succeeded elsewhere at this level, for reasons we couldnt' have know in advance, he was just not right for us".

Woolywolf

Reaction score
For those who hardly know anything about him (including you I presume), I can shed a little more personal/insightful, biased/bigoted opinion on his exploits in Norway. Having followed Viking under their last 15 managers, in my humble opinion, he was by far the worst of the lot. Viking have only been relegated once from the top division in the last 37 years and that was the season he was in charge. Clueless coaching, comedy tactics and some borderline scary post match interviews. A bit like Dean Saunders without the playing career.

Clearly it is a limited timeframe, but backing that up in England with a resignation from a non-league club and a sacking from a team that got relegated to League 2, suggests that the tactical advice he gives to players who have played at the highest level in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, the PL and the World Cup, might be a fun watch.
Wow! You couldn’t make it up. WTF are we doing

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting analogy with Utd and thinking about it, how true. They're a club now happy with 4th, we're a club happy with 17th. So sad.

And when you put it like that, you can see what a knife edge we're riding. If Man U mess up, at worst, they aren't in Europe for season. For us, one wrong move and we aren't in the Premier League any more. And possibly for several years.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for an informed opinion, one of the few on here. If this bloke turns out the way you describe, whoever decided he should be appointed (Hobbs?) should be out of the door with him, and sooner rather than later. Honestly, you could not make this stuff up! We are a PREMIER LEAGUE club!!!! Not for much longer. Shi and Co seem to have a death wish

It's getting to be one of those situations, if you set out to deliberately wreck us from the position we were in after Sevilla, you couldn't have done a much better job than they have done.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What's Hobbsy's background ?
All in youth development and recruitment before he became a senior scout isn't it? So maybe he doesn't have that expertise, but then how does someone become an expert in manager recruitment, hardly a full-time job unless you're at Watford?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knew I recognised that name. A mate of mine is a big Notts County fan and I went to a few games not long back when he was manager. Their fans thought he was alright, but a bit of a bighead if I remember right? They played some ok football but it was national league level.
You were cheering me up for a minute then I read your last 3 words!!!!!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And when you put it like that, you can see what a knife edge we're riding. If Man U mess up, at worst, they aren't in Europe for season. For us, one wrong move and we aren't in the Premier League any more. And possibly for several years.
I liked the expression someone above used - managed decline. It seems incredible but it looks like Fosun, for some unknown reason, are actually planning for us to fail?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All in youth development and recruitment before he became a senior scout isn't it? So maybe he doesn't have that expertise, but then how does someone become an expert in manager recruitment, hardly a full-time job unless you're at Watford?
It can’t be that hard surely? I mean you could look at someone’s CV and think wow this guy has managed Spain, won the Europa league and had 3 champions league place finishes he’s the man for us! Mind you on the other hand……

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked the expression someone above used - managed decline. It seems incredible but it looks like Fosun, for some unknown reason, are actually planning for us to fail?
First time anything gone to plan

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It can’t be that hard surely? I mean you could look at someone’s CV and think wow this guy has managed Spain, won the Europa league and had 3 champions league place finishes he’s the man for us! Mind you on the other hand he wants a budget of more than two bent washers……
Fixed that for you

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those who hardly know anything about him (including you I presume), I can shed a little more personal/insightful, biased/bigoted opinion on his exploits in Norway. Having followed Viking under their last 15 managers, in my humble opinion, he was by far the worst of the lot. Viking have only been relegated once from the top division in the last 37 years and that was the season he was in charge. Clueless coaching, comedy tactics and some borderline scary post match interviews. A bit like Dean Saunders without the playing career.

Clearly it is a limited timeframe, but backing that up in England with a resignation from a non-league club and a sacking from a team that got relegated to League 2, suggests that the tactical advice he gives to players who have played at the highest level in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, the PL and the World Cup, might be a fun watch.

His own explanation of his time at Viking is that he was forced to sell his best players

But I'd be interested in hearing your take on that as you observed the situation close hand.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His own explanation of his time at Viking is that he was forced to sell his best players

But I'd be interested in hearing your take on that as you observed the situation close hand.

Interesting counter view. My initial reaction is sympathy. Then it’s one of, now I know why he interviews well. Then it’s, ok so what’s the truth here - was he shafted like he said, or was he not up to it?

Final thoughts. This guy apparently knows first hand what it is to have his players and staff sold from around him and left with little to work on. Sound familiar? GON knows first hand how to step into a job at short notice while the ownership situation is uncertain. Maybe familiar? As I’m increasingly thinking , has Hobbs set out to hire people with relevant experience for the situation Wolves find themselves in?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting counter view. My initial reaction is sympathy. Then it’s one of, now I know why he interviews well. Then it’s, ok so what’s the truth here - was he shafted like he said, or was he not up to it?

Final thoughts. This guy apparently knows first hand what it is to have his players and staff sold from around him and left with little to work on. Sound familiar? GON knows first hand how to step into a job at short notice while the ownership situation is uncertain. Maybe familiar? As I’m increasingly observing, has Hobbs set out to hire people with relevant experience for the situation Wolves find themselves in?
What, in the crap? He should have approached Severn Trent then....

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I'll say in his defence is that both Anderlecht director of football Fredberg as well as manager Riemer, are quite knowledgeable. Fredberg especially is really starting to to turn Anderlecht around
I remember when Burchnall was hired, Fredberg said he'd be vital in helping then implement their style of play which I think he did well.
Hobbs might be obsessed with nationality but Fredberg isn't.
But I do think what we get here is another good coach, but failed manager when in reality we could do with someone that had had succes as a manager.
Very well put

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Whys he a jerk :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, talk about talking in riddles? Not sure if you think he's a good appointment or a poor one?
I think he hasn’t started his job yet.. that’s why I said we should “give him a chance”..

I also made the point that he’s probably as highly qualified a person as GON could get as an assistant.. who else is going to work as his number 2, other than someone who’s had a high ranked job and failed in the lower divisions, or someone who’s had a lower ranked job in the higher divisions, looking for a promotion.

The fact that being GON’s number 2 isn’t that attractive, is because he’s a bit out of his depth, so probably not a job many see with longevity.

All this leads to the conclusion that I think I have just reached the stage that follows shock, anger and denial.. apathy. After this summer of one disappointment after another, I can’t even be ***** to be mad about what’s going on anymore, just secretly hoping to be surprised.

Last edited:

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score

Any fan only sees part of the overall picture and we have no real idea what was promised to who or said to who behind close doors (same with Jeff, Nuno and that other guy who walked out recently). Players were sold at Viking that season so he may have a point, but that is the norm in Norway most years as wages are relatively low and contracts are usually only for 1 or 2 years except at the top of the league. I don't think his season in charge was that unique for Viking in terms of forced sales, if anything, it was unique just for the consistent run of bad performances that saw them finish bottom (16th), having finished 8th and 5th in the previous two seasons.

He may be a better coach now than he was then, but as a fan who only sees a small part of the overall picture, I can only go on what everyone else can see happened in the National League and at the bottom of League 1. The players can google it for themselves and that may well present the biggest problem as to how to get them to respond and be 'coached' by someone without a track record anywhere near what they are used to.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any fan only sees part of the overall picture and we have no real idea what was promised to who or said to who behind close doors (same with Jeff, Nuno and that other guy who walked out recently). Players were sold at Viking that season so he may have a point, but that is the norm in Norway most years as wages are relatively low and contracts are usually only for 1 or 2 years except at the top of the league. I don't think his season in charge was that unique for Viking in terms of forced sales, if anything, it was unique just for the consistent run of bad performances that saw them finish bottom (16th), having finished 8th and 5th in the previous two seasons.

He may be a better coach now than he was then, but as a fan who only sees a small part of the overall picture, I can only go on what everyone else can see happened in the National League and at the bottom of League 1. The players can google it for themselves and that may well present the biggest problem as to how to get them to respond and be 'coached' by someone without a track record anywhere near what they are used to.

Good points. Thanks!

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let's give him a chance but this doesn't bode well, his record absolutely stinks and as some have said, going with GON this is the level of coaches we'll attract. At this point I will be ecstatic with a 17th place finish.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
The biggest game that this guy has ever been involved in before today was Forest Green v Ipswich in League 1 (which they lost).

To see him with iPad in hand, ‘coaching Matt Doherty (300+ games in the bank, PL and European experience and a bag full of international caps) how to deal with Juergen Klopp’s tactical switch, is frankly embarrassing.

There is punching above your weight and then there is the coaching set up at Wolves. A comedy show beyond belief.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest game that this guy has ever been involved in before today was Forest Green v Ipswich in League 1 (which they lost).

To see him with iPad in hand, ‘coaching Matt Doherty (300+ games in the bank, PL and European experience and a bag full of international caps) how to deal with Juergen Klopp’s tactical switch, is frankly embarrassing.

There is punching above your weight and then there is the coaching set up at Wolves. A comedy show beyond belief.
This is the club that spent a third of last season being coached by Steve Davis and Scott Sellars after getting a knock back from the QPR manager.

Whatever we have now, you can guarantee that the next appointments will be fishing in the same depths as the messaging from the club is very much cheap and cheerful is our motto from here on.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the club that spent a third of last season being coached by Steve Davis and Scott Sellars after getting a knock back from the QPR manager.

Whatever we have now, you can guarantee that the next appointments will be fishing in the same depths as the messaging from the club is very much cheap and cheerful is our motto from here on.
Re your last para l wonder if Vinny has got that memo???

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd actually have more faith in our players to coach themselves, pick the starting XI, determine tactics, etc.
Agree as long as they don’t need to shoot or score, they will be fine.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom