Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
It was from what I understood, quite a few people who either live here for school or had actually flown over for the game, plus plenty of families, from what I gathered was because of two high profile players in the same game?

Noticed loads of young families all going back to the station.
London has the biggest Koreatown in Europe so not really surprising about the amount of Koreans at Spurs games.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We may as well not bother then and just go back to being a mid table Championship club banging on about the 50’s if you think a fanbase of a 20 mile radius of Wolverhampton is all we need.

FOSUN are always being accused of a lack of ambition but the lack of ambition of some of our fanbase is astounding.

For big football clubs, the revenue from gloabal merchandise is far more than from ticket sales. The finances of those few elite clubs who dominate everything, are based in the money they get from far away. But yes, people tend to get stuck in the past. And no, I don't think for one second that our club buys a player for the shirt sales. But if they have any business sense at all, they will be aware of the interest abroad in our players and profit from it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
London has the biggest Koreatown in Europe so not really surprising about the amount of Koreans at Spurs games.
Indeed. New Malden, in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, has one of, if not the, biggest concentrations of Koreans outside Korea itself.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were loads of Koreans at the home match against Spurs when we beat them 2-1, all wearing half and half scarves.
I've just returned from a trip to New Zealand and was in a small town in the south island, when a Korean gentleman passed me wearing a Wolves shirt.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were loads of Koreans at the home match against Spurs when we beat them 2-1, all wearing half and half scarves.
I've just returned from a trip to New Zealand and was in a small town in the south island, when a Korean gentleman passed me wearing a Wolves shirt.
There were indeed. I travelled from and to London by train and there were loads onboard.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is clearly a lot of money in South Korea itching to be involved in Premier League football. The number of young Koreans - all bedecked in brand new Spurs souvenirs, scarves and shirts from the club shop - was astonishing. The club has clearly reserved great swathes of seats for the overseas visitors - presumably on a regular basis.

But anyone who thinks getting Koreans (or any other nationality for that matter) to fly to Halfpenny Green to support Wolves rather than Heathrow or Manchester international airports to support Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City etc etc is clearly living in cloud cuckoo land.

Our core support will ALWAYS be Wolverhampton and a radius of 20 miles (mainly south- and west-wards). THAT is the permanent support we need, not a transient foreign contingent following a single 'here today gone tomorrow' player.

That's us ****ed then.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is clearly a lot of money in South Korea itching to be involved in Premier League football. The number of young Koreans - all bedecked in brand new Spurs souvenirs, scarves and shirts from the club shop - was astonishing. The club has clearly reserved great swathes of seats for the overseas visitors - presumably on a regular basis.

But anyone who thinks getting Koreans (or any other nationality for that matter) to fly to Halfpenny Green to support Wolves rather than Heathrow or Manchester international airports to support Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City etc etc is clearly living in cloud cuckoo land.

Our core support will ALWAYS be Wolverhampton and a radius of 20 miles (mainly south- and west-wards). THAT is the permanent support we need, not a transient foreign contingent following a single 'here today gone tomorrow' player.
We do have an international airport fairly close by with a train that goes directly to Wolverhampton, it's called Birmingham International Airport. You might have heard of it? we're not ****ing Norwich FFS!

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But as has already been covered, the ffp has ended any chance of bridging any gap. Our aim now is to be a mid table prem club that may occasionally have a good season challenging top 7, that is it. And most appear to be happy with that judging by the ffp threads and celebrating other teams getting hit by that nonsense.
So shortsighted. The reason Manure etc succeed financially is their global appeal. Fosun, you may have noticed, come from quite a large country. If we can increase our profile there we can make more money etc etc. SKorea is another country we can develop a young following via Hwang but also esports. Let's be ambitious

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was unbelievable how many Korean people were there, particularly young women, all the way back to the tube they were everywhere.

All very nice and friendly and enjoying themselves, and fair play for making the effort, but it did feel strange.

First time I went to WHL, as a young lad in the mid 90s for an FA cup game, got into bother outside with spurs fans who spat at my mate and in the ground our lot spent most the game singing about Hitler and gas. Incredible how the games changed in 30 years.
Thank goodness it has!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So shortsighted. The reason Manure etc succeed financially is their global appeal. Fosun, you may have noticed, come from quite a large country. If we can increase our profile there we can make more money etc etc. SKorea is another country we can develop a young following via Hwang but also esports. Let's be ambitious
Good point about the e-sports. We don't realise how big it is over there. Keep the Korean connection then the record label could move into K-pop

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It isn't short sighted, just realistic. If snapping up a few Asians was gonna bring in money so easily every club would just buy one or two. It is a nice little sideline of course but it will never be the difference maker some seem to think.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm off to South Korea in a few weeks, I'll let you all know if I get mobbed. When I went to see us in China no-one could have given a rats ass, which I found pretty funny. Especially those forced to wear gold t-shirts and sing 'Wolves Are We' in the ground

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm off to South Korea in a few weeks, I'll let you all know if I get mobbed. When I went to see us in China no-one could have given a rats ass, which I found pretty funny. Especially those forced to wear gold t-shirts and sing 'Wolves Are We' in the ground

I went last year. Alas didn't see a single Wolves shirt.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
My son studied in South Korea for a few months very recently, on a university campus just outside Seoul. He travelled in from Seoul most days on public transport. Whenever he wore something Wolves he had a lot of comments and shouts of "Wolves!" and "Hee-chan!" I bought him this season's shirt with Hwang on the back before he went and wearing that often resulted in much more attention! He didn't see many Wolves shirts but there seemed to very much be a general awareness of Wolves and interest in a westerner wearing Wolves gear.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We will never get into the top few if we keep allowing the elite few to cherry pick our best players. Tell them to bog off and find their own little gems. Any funds we can glean from other sources should be persued.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he looked lively first half. Looked tired second, I know we've got no depth but surprised he played on until as late as he did.

Wednesday is a huge game in our season tbh. If he's fit he has to play. I wouldn't be resting anybody for it.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Hwang looked tired tonight and off the pace, several times his first touch wasn't his greatest, then he pulled up injured.
Let's hope it isn't too serious as Hwang is outstanding when fit and firing on all cylinders.

fleck1

Reaction score
His first touch is never the greatest and holding the ball up isn't his strength. Was isolated up top against their back three, spent the night chasing shadows before the injury.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I live in cloud cuckold land, the wife loves it

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O'Neil: "Mario is fine, it was a kick. It should settle down. Channy's is disappointing because this game should be on the weekend. He felt something in his hamstring but it's small, nothing like Neto or Cunha."

Hopefully, Hwang's hamstring is not too serious, although it looked bad last night! Performance, last night was shocking and hasn't seemed right since he came back from the Asian cup, but with such a thread-bare squad, we need all the support possible, so hope his withdrawal was more precautionary than neccessary.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasnt looked right since coming back from the Asia Cup. Could well be a big chance coming soon for the likes of Chirewa and Fraser. I would love to see them get a go. Look at Liverpool tonight with their team of kids.
Agree on hwang.....he was flying before he went off to the Asia cup......some fans can't wait to turn on him....

We will use Bellegarde and can see Gary using a 3 man midfield with even bouba being preferred before he uses Fraser of Chirewa...... Just get through the Newcastle game and take it from there .

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had this exact situation with him last year. He was playing through injury and looked absolutely crap.

He's not been fit since he got injured at the Asia Cup, and it shows.

I'm sure in an ideal world he'd have a few weeks off to heal up, but we don't have that luxury

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always figured he may take a few games to gel back in with the squad. It's hard not to notice his horrendous touch atm though! People say he's not a number 9, but I'd disagree. His biggest strength is his shot accuracy. We want him in the box more than anywhere else. What he's not great at is controlling long balls up to him. It was noticeable how much better ball control JRB, Lemina, Gomes and Doyle had in the 25 minutes I saw before my stream crashed yesterday!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always figured he may take a few games to gel back in with the squad. It's hard not to notice his horrendous touch atm though! People say he's not a number 9, but I'd disagree. His biggest strength is his shot accuracy. We want him in the box more than anywhere else. What he's not great at is controlling long balls up to him. It was noticeable how much better ball control JRB, Lemina, Gomes and Doyle had in the 25 minutes I saw before my stream crashed yesterday!
trampoline touch hwang its always the sign hes not fit or alright

like gary has said he barely trained out in south korea tbh he needs a month and could do with the international break returning fully fit with cunha against villa

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looked very poor last night. However I think the balls he was fighting for last night were coming at him at just the right height for Dunk to intercept easily. Or they were on the floor and he was quickly surrounded by two or three defenders. All he could do was pull and push and try and play them back which just did not work and lead to the inevitable loss of possession. What he needed were balls a bit higher with a bit of stun. Balls that he could use his speed and chase for but were not going to run through to the keeper.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It was like a set up last night to expose all the things he can't do. Pump long balls at him with Dunk all over him, make him play on the halfway line, don't get anyone else within 20 yards of him. Combine that with the fact he's clearly not fit and you have to wonder why he was out there so long. Really expected Fraser to come out second half.

Back
Top Bottom