Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How was it Tring?

sheffwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just wondered how your first game with Tring Jr was?

My first game at Molineux was a 5-0 defeat at the hands of Watford. Think we were relegated at the end of the season and kept on going down. At half time I asked my Dad if we ever had to come again! So your lad has had a better start than I did!

Not easy supporting Wolves as a Southerner (I was born and grew up in Welwyn Garden City) when everyone else is supporting Arsenal and Spurs (and Man U!) but I used to love supporting someone different to everyone else!

Hoping to take my young lad to his first home game later in the season - I can't wait! Will be very emotional coming full circle from when my Dad first took me.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Andy/Tring, lovely guy and very knowledgable. His text said it was turning into an expensive trip!!

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had the great pleasure of meeting Tring, Tring senior and Tring junior today at long last.

Such lovely lads, so glad we got a well deserved win for young Tring juniors' first game.
Hopefully Watford won't be such an attraction for him from now on, now he's watched a proper football team.
Andy, let me know when you're up next and I'll sort something for your lad.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Hey guys! Literally just got home after a 3-hour journey back.

The day was absolutely wonderful though. I'm not normally an overly emotional person but watching my Dad and son walking hand in hand in front of me as Molineux appeared from the distance (nearly 30 years to the day after he took me to my first game) brought a tear to my eye.

He really enjoyed the Wolves Family Football Area before the game and was thrilled with the clappers and player cards that he was given. A huge thankyou to all those who help with that, especially our very own Pump King who I had the privilege of meeting today. A nicer, more generous man you couldn't wish to meet and a wonderful ambassador for our club.

As NWW commented, the trip to the club shop turned out to be a little more expensive than I was anticipating but Jack proudly wore his new shirt and walk-out jacket into the stadium (and is still wearing the kit in bed as we speak)! Expensive but the memories are worth every penny.

Jack really enjoyed the match itself and is a big fan of Jon Dadi (although he was kind enough to say that Jon is still only his second favourite Daddy).

Overall, I feel very fortunate that he saw a good performance and win, and whisper it quietly, we may just have another little cub to add to the Wolves pack.

As for me, having found today a bit emotional, I get to go through it all again tomorrow as he plays his first ever match for his own team!

Great times and very precious memories.

Last edited:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Had the great pleasure of meeting Tring, Tring senior and Tring junior today at long last.

Such lovely lads, so glad we got a well deserved win for young Tring juniors' first game.
Hopefully Watford won't be such an attraction for him from now on, now he's watched a proper football team.
Andy, let me know when you're up next and I'll sort something for your lad.

Thanks so much Paul. Was a real privilege to meet you before the game. Thankyou for all the work that you and your team of volunteers do at each home game. It made a really big impression on Jack today and will hopefully help to connect with a new generation of Wolves fans.

R

reanswolf

Great to hear Tring. Next time bring him down to the Jungle , well the Stile, great bunch in their now I have started going in there agsin

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounds like you've all had a great day Tring, if I'm honest I'm a little jealous.

My wife was trying to convince me to take our 3 year old daughter today as part of a birthday treat for me but I think she might be just that little bit too young yet................. Plus I've still got work to do trying to convince her that watching football is better than horse riding!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hey guys! Literally just got home after a 3-hour journey back.

The day was absolutely wonderful though. I'm not normally an overly emotional person but watching my Dad and son walking hand in hand in front of me as Molineux appeared from the distance (nearly 30 years to the day after he took me to my first game) brought a tear to my eye.

He really enjoyed the Wolves Family Football Area before the game and was thrilled with the clappers and player cards that he was given. A huge thankyou to all those who help with that, especially our very own Pump King who I had the privilege of meeting today. A nicer, more generous man you couldn't wish to meet and a wonderful ambassador for our club.

As NWW commented, the trip to the club shop turned out to be a little more expensive than I was anticipated but Jack proudly wore his new shirt and walk-out jacket into the stadium (and is still wearing the kit in bed as we speak)! Expensive but the memories are worth every penny.

Jack really enjoyed the match itself and is a big fan of Jon Dadi (although he was kind enough to say that Jon is still only his second favourite Daddy).

Overall, I feel very fortunate that he saw a good performance and win, and whisper it quietly, we may just have another little cub to add to the Wolves pack.

As for me, having found today a bit emotional, I get to go through it all again tomorrow as he plays his first ever match for his own team!

Great times and very precious memories.
If that doesn't bring a smile. And a tear to the eye, you're dead inside

Couldn't be happier for you my friend, and good luck Jack!!

E

E is for idiot.

It sounds like you've all had a great day Tring, if I'm honest I'm a little jealous.

My wife was trying to convince me to take our 3 year old daughter today as part of a birthday treat for me but I think she might be just that little bit too young yet................. Plus I've still got work to do trying to convince her that watching football is better than horse riding!

You lucky sod. I have the opposite problem with my wife. She reckons our 3 year old is too young to go and won't let me take him.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're lucky to have seen some goals. I took my boy for his first game to a 0-0 against Blackburn, we were in a box too, so the atmosphere wasn't great, he still loved it. Followed it up with the league cup game against Cambridge, least we saw some goals but pretty poor crowd. Next game will be Villa at home, should be a good crowd for that one and his mom is a Villa fan.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Tring

Just got to say I took my 30 year old daughter to her first Molineux match around 22 years ago hoping she would become an ardent Wolves fan like her dad and his 7 brothers.

I have to admit I can't remember the score or our opponents as I spent most of the time helping her with the colouring books she brought with her!

You live and learn but glad to hear you enjoyed yesterday.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first game for my three boys was the play-off against Aldershot. A proper glamour one. Molineux was falling apart but they were all excited to be there. Just a shame the Wolves were **** that night.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Tring - I am really pleased that you all had a great day last Saturday. The good result must have been icing on the cake!

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi Tring,
Delighted that the day went well and what a superb performance the lads put on for you all.
Emotional indeed, as I went through a similar experience MANY years ago with our youngest daughter, now 41.
It was the weekend that Ted Farmer released his book and was signing copies in the old Supporters Club portakabin, behind the North Bank, run by Muriel Bates and her husband.

Funnily enough it's our eldest daughter, now 44, who keeps up with our progress, and she never wanted to attend matches with us.
Kind regards,
Elvis Wolf.

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
Great news. I'm about 3 or 4 years from hauling my boy over, but I can't wait. If you are lucky enough to follow a team with your father, it's one of the most special things in life. At least for me it was. Great post and I'm so happy it was a great game. He will remember it forever, as I'm sure you know!

Now make the trip back for Norwich so we can have the same result!

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whats a good age to take em for their first time? I've got a few years also....

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been wondering that myself. I've got a grandson (just turned six) who wants me take him to the Molineux. I've been getting the collector's cards for him last season and this, which has been a good way to initiate his interest. He's not ready to go just yet as I don't think he could concentrate for the full 90 minutes and I wouldn't want him to be a nuisance to others sitting nearby. I was nine when my dad first took me but he'd taken me to a few non-league games before that. I thought about doing the same with my grandson but would be interested to hear what others think is a suitable age.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took my lad who was six last year and he just about stuck with it, each kid is different obviously, but I personally don't see the point in taking kids any younger than that.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Careful Tring, savour the moment, before long you'll be getting him his season ticket for the next 10-12 years, he'll have an account on here, move to sit with his mates and he'll be taking you to the away games.

The tipping point for me was on the way to get the coach to Arsenal and I gave my son a friendly warning about not drinking too much alcohol before we got into the ground, his reply was "Dad, if you don't stop I'm not bringing you again!" It was at that point the tables turned, plus side is he now organises tickets and trains for all the away games :) happy days!

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love to hear about you all bringing in the next generation of fans.
I think it's great to introduce them to Wolves as soon as you can, to prevent the obvious temptation of them ending up supporting the other so called top six or so teams.
Get them hooked on Wolves early and hopefully they are ours for life.

Following on from this if anyone needs any Wolves stuff, eg, clappers, cards etc for their children, to help to keep their interest in Wolves, please let me know and I'll gladly provide them.

D

Deleted member 4594

I have been wondering that myself. I've got a grandson (just turned six) who wants me take him to the Molineux. I've been getting the collector's cards for him last season and this, which has been a good way to initiate his interest. He's not ready to go just yet as I don't think he could concentrate for the full 90 minutes and I wouldn't want him to be a nuisance to others sitting nearby. I was nine when my dad first took me but he'd taken me to a few non-league games before that. I thought about doing the same with my grandson but would be interested to hear what others think is a suitable age.
Took my lad occasionally when he was 5 and he enjoyed it and has been going regularly since, usually with his mates these days.
I think 6 is about right mate.

D

Deleted member 3518

I love to hear about you all bringing in the next generation of fans.
I think it's great to introduce them to Wolves as soon as you can, to prevent the obvious temptation of them ending up supporting the other so called top six or so teams.
Get them hooked on Wolves early and hopefully they are ours for life.

Following on from this if anyone needs any Wolves stuff, eg, clappers, cards etc for their children, to help to keep their interest in Wolves, please let me know and I'll gladly provide them.

Be good to meet some time but guess you're busy match days, what time do you start your "duties" on a Saturday?

D

Deleted member 3518

Took my lad occasionally when he was 5 and he enjoyed it and has been going regularly since, usually with his mates these days.
I think 6 is about right mate.

You and your lad remind me a bit of my daughter and grand daughter in, as like Ab Fab, the child is the adult in the relationship!!:p:p

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be good to meet some time but guess you're busy match days, what time do you start your "duties" on a Saturday?

Always glad to put a face to the name Rhos. Love to meet up sometime. I get there around midday mate to lay out flags and stuff pitchside and then usually outside Wolfies Den organising (badly) the volunteers from around 1.30 to 2pm.

Pop over and say hello and pick up some cards and stuff. Be good to see you.

D

Deleted member 4594

You and your lad remind me a bit of my daughter and grand daughter in, as like Ab Fab, the child is the adult in the relationship!!:p:p
:D:D You'll have to meet him mate, he thinks the same!

D

Deleted member 3518

:D:D You'll have to meet him mate, he thinks the same!

Apologies, was referring to Dukinfield, but am sure you're right, we all have a lot in common, my 8 year old granddaughter certainly has more common sense than me!

D

Deleted member 3518

Always glad to put a face to the name Rhos. Love to meet up sometime. I get there around midday mate to lay out flags and stuff pitchside and then usually outside Wolfies Den organising (badly) the volunteers from around 1.30 to 2pm.

Pop over and say hello and pick up some cards and stuff. Be good to see you.

Will have to arrange something. If going to the Stile I generally arrive at / pass the Goalpost en-route from the station around 11:50, so should be possible.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took my grandson, who was 5 at the time, last season. TBH I don't think he really knew what was going on, especially when his Dad and me started jumping around when Wolves scored. He's got all the kit so the brainwashing is in the early stages. I'm thinking the best age is probably 7 or 8.

D

Deleted member 4594

Apologies, was referring to Dukinfield, but am sure you're right, we all have a lot in common, my 8 year old granddaughter certainly has more common sense than me!
Haha I can imagine mate! You don't look old enough for grandkids :D You'll have no trouble telling my lad apart from Dukinfields, he's over 6 foot!

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took my lad for the first time when he was 4, it took him a few games to get into it, but now he is completely obsessed! I took his sister when she was 3.. The 8 toilet breaks have pit me off taking her again for now! My youngest is currently 2, he won't be going for a while!

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Just worked out my lad was 6 coming 7 when he started 1998/99. Can remember after a few of games not getting him a for the Crystal Palace game and he was distraught, we ended up in the Steve Bull for the game. He hadn't seen us lose until the last game against Bradford, the only thing he said from the final whistle till we got home was "well done" to a young Bradford fan outside the ground, he was gutted and totally hooked.

Following season he was a mascot, season ticket, then onto away games, corporate hospitality, pre-season tours of Ireland (with minor celebrity status amongst fellow fans, signing shirts in the pubs of Killkenny), Molineux Mix account et al...

Back
Top Bottom