Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How good was Ted Farmer.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are all getting older and as such the number of fans who saw him play will be dwindling. The legend is there for all to read or hear about but what about those who actually saw him? It would be good to read your impressions on a player who had his career taken away from him. I think with today's technology he would have had a good chance of recovery.
What were his strengths? Yes he was a goal scoring machine but what made him so?
Who does he compare to?
Any stories aswell.

O

Out Of Darkness

We are all getting older and as such the number of fans who saw him play will be dwindling. The legend is there for all to read or hear about but what about those who actually saw him? It would be good to read your impressions on a player who had his career taken away from him. I think with today's technology he would have had a good chance of recovery.
What were his strengths? Yes he was a goal scoring machine but what made him so?
Who does he compare to?
Any stories aswell.
As a relative of Ted (he’s my grandads brother and I have the same surname) it’s great to see he’s still remembered by Wolves fans. Looking forward to reading peoples memories of him. I’m told he was a great player in his time

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a relative of Ted (he’s my grandads brother and I have the same surname) it’s great to see he’s still remembered by Wolves fans. Looking forward to reading peoples memories of him. I’m told he was a great player in his time
Have you got any stories yourself told by any of your relatives or their friends? Any of your family inherited those skills?

O

Out Of Darkness

Have you got any stories yourself told by any of your relatives or their friends? Any of your family inherited those skills?
Not that I can recall but I’m sure my grandad will have some. My dad played football at youth level but didn’t quite make it as a professional, he was a defender though so totally different position. I know my great grandad (so Teds father) was a Villa fan so I’m just thankful Ted played for the Wolves or I might have been a Villa fan!

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of useless information. Ted Farmer's fist name wasn't Ted. His name is actually James Edward Colm Farmer.

I saw him in a couple of games in 1964ish when I was a boy but in 1961/2 as previously mentioned he broke his leg and although he came back for two seasons he was plagued by injury before jackin it in.

He was in that wonderful youth side from about 1956 to 1960 which was the equal of the 'Busby Babes' in English football. In 1958 we played United in the FA Youth Cup SF which Ted played in both legs. One Norbert Stiles was playing for United in that game I think.

Ted would have been some striker, He played a couple of times for the U23 England side and scored a hat trick against Holland in his second game.

After he packed up he ran a pub in Dudley (no idea which one) he came from Rowley Regis. He also worked for the old Midland's Electricity Board.

I have posted this anecdote several times but as the OP asked it might be worth repeating. Some might not have seen it before.

At the 'Must do something' meeting in July 1986 at the Civic Hall I sat by Ted. He was rather forceful in his disgust at the way the club had been allowed to get to the state it was in by then. As many know David Coleman was on the table with John Richards, Councillor John Bird who had called the meeting. There was opportunity for those who wished to to take the mike and have their say. Ted duly obliged.

As he took the mike he looked at Coleman ( BBC sports presenter and President of Wolverhampton and Bilston Athletic's Club and Wolves fan sort of) Coleman returned his gaze blankly.

'You Don't remember me do you?' asks Ted.

Coleman continued the blank expression for a few seconds before the penny dropped.

'Ted! Ted Farmer! So sorry hope you are well'.

Ted went on with a wonderfully passionate few minutes on why the club must not be allowed to fold or become Non League. How important it was (is) to the Town (then) and the whole of the Black Country and probably further afield. That the Club had contributed much to English football and had seen some of the finest players ever to play in England. He implored Councillor Bird to do all he could to save the club and Molineux from becoming nothing more than a memory.

All delivered with blunt, 'Black Country' twang. Wonderful stuff,

He must be in his eighties now I suppose but I am very privileged to have spent an evening sitting by a 'local' who could have been one of the greats of English goal scoring. He gave me an insight into those youth games for the late fifties and a few tales about Stan Cullis and his approach.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
A bit of useless information. Ted Farmer's fist name wasn't Ted. His name is actually James Edward Colm Farmer.

I saw him in a couple of games in 1964ish when I was a boy but in 1961/2 as previously mentioned he broke his leg and although he came back for two seasons he was plagued by injury before jackin it in.

He was in that wonderful youth side from about 1956 to 1960 which was the equal of the 'Busby Babes' in English football. In 1958 we played United in the FA Youth Cup SF which Ted played in both legs. One Norbert Stiles was playing for United in that game I think.

Ted would have been some striker, He played a couple of times for the U23 England side and scored a hat trick against Holland in his second game.

After he packed up he ran a pub in Dudley (no idea which one) he came from Rowley Regis. He also worked for the old Midland's Electricity Board.

I have posted this anecdote several times but as the OP asked it might be worth repeating. Some might not have seen it before.

At the 'Must do something' meeting in July 1986 at the Civic Hall I sat by Ted. He was rather forceful in his disgust at the way the club had been allowed to get to the state it was in by then. As many know David Coleman was on the table with John Richards, Councillor John Bird who had called the meeting. There was opportunity for those who wished to to take the mike and have their say. Ted duly obliged.

As he took the mike he looked at Coleman ( BBC sports presenter and President of Wolverhampton and Bilston Athletic's Club and Wolves fan sort of) Coleman returned his gaze blankly.

Coleman continued the blank expression for a few seconds before the penny dropped.

Ted went on with a wonderfully passionate few minutes on why the club must not be allowed to fold or become Non League. How important it was (is) to the Town (then) and the whole of the Black Country and probably further afield. That the Club had contributed much to English football and had seen some of the finest players ever to play in England. He implored Councillor Bird to do all he could to save the club and Molineux from becoming nothing more than a memory.

He must be in his eighties now I suppose but I am very privileged to have spent an evening sitting by a 'local' who could have been one of the greats of English goal scoring. He gave me an insight into those youth games for the late fifties and a few tales about Stan Cullis and his approach.
He is 80

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

Although my first game at Molineux was about 1959, I cannot remember who we played, I never saw Ted play as far as I know but, back in the 80s when we played City in the League Cup final I and two friends ended up in Snows in Piccadilly, we went in, amazingly City supporters were on the way out, I might say also, every one congratulated Wolves on a great win, as I stood at the bar getting beer in I recognised a chap, sitting on a stool at the end, it was Ted, I took the beer to a table, told the lads, Ted was a bit worse for wear admittedly but he started singing our songs, it was bloody great, we all joined in making a day never to forget even more wonderful.

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

Also, I knew a fellow from Dudley, he used to drink in the pub I frequented in Kinver every weekend, he knew a few old players, he told me how Ted came to get his leg broken, I was taken aback at the explanation, I've never heard the reason told before, if what I heard was true it was hushed up immediately.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, I knew a fellow from Dudley, he used to drink in the pub I frequented in Kinver every weekend, he knew a few old players, he told me how Ted came to get his leg broken, I was taken aback at the explanation, I've never heard the reason told before, if what I heard was true it was hushed up immediately.
dont think cullis would have hushed it up but the offending player would have been out the doorI take that back.just re-read teds book.ted appears to have been badly treated possibly because he was looking for a transfer

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great story and thank you for sharing it with us.

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

dont think cullis would have hushed it up but the offending player would have been out the doorI take that back.just re-read teds book.ted appears to have been badly treated possibly because he was looking for a transfer
I really don't know how to take your reply, "take that back"? I deliberately didn't mention names, it's been over 30 years since I had the conversation, that guy is no longer with us unfortunately, he was on speaking terms with Joe Gardner and stood by the bench during games etc. The player who inflicted the damage, I'm not sure but think he is no longer with us hence I haven't named him, as for Stan, we'll I won't go into that as he's no longer with us.

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

I really don't know how to take your reply, "take that back"? I deliberately didn't mention names, it's been over 30 years since I had the conversation, that guy is no longer with us unfortunately, he was on speaking terms with Joe Gardner and stood by the bench during games etc. The player who inflicted the damage, I'm not sure but think he is no longer with us hence I haven't named him, as for Stan, we'll I won't go into that as he's no longer with us.
Oh and by the way, it's strange you said the offending player would have been out the door, I never mentioned it was a Wolves player so I wonder if you know more?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw quite a lot of him in the early ‘60s and thought he was a real terror to defenders with a fast bustling style.
Thanks. Great stories but you Sir are the only one so far who has commente on his playing style.:)

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
read teds book he explains everything.I meant I take back what i said.not you sorry about that

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lost 2 no.9s through injury roy swinbourne and ted farmer.both may have gone onto play for england.possibly ted in 66 final

wolfinexile

Reaction score
Ted Farmer never looked like an athlete but was he ever effective. He just knew how to score goals. He constantly harried the goalkeeper and scored at least one goal on a rebound as the goalie kicked from hand. Would not be allowed to do this nowadays. It was a huge loss when Ted got injured and then failed to regain form and fitness. I remember seeing one of his comebacks away at Sheffield Wednesday when he was totally anonymous. Jimmy Murray was a great replacement for Swinbourne but nobody really filled the gap left by Ted.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw Ted play many times. Bit of a Johnny On The Spot -- great anticipation and a very accurate finisher. Didn't score spectacular goals but just had a very impressive conversion rate -- when he got a chance, he generally scored. Saw him score 4 against City on the opening day of 62-3. 44 goals in 57 appearances all at the top level. Scored his 21st goal on his 21st birthday in the 21st minute on the 21st of January 1961 (against Everton at Molineux). Such a shame he got crocked. He was in the Steve Bull class only he played a division or two higher

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I had the afternoon of school and travelled down to watch a night match against Spurs at White Hart Lane, It would have been around 1960. Early in the game our keeper was injured, and if memory serves me right Ted Farmer went in goal for the rest of the game. Perhaps someone on the Mix can confirm or deny. Spurs won the game.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had the afternoon of school and travelled down to watch a night match against Spurs at White Hart Lane, It would have been around 1960. Early in the game our keeper was injured, and if memory serves me right Ted Farmer went in goal for the rest of the game. Perhaps someone on the Mix can confirm or deny. Spurs won the game.
But did he score? ;)

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never saw him play, but I used to work with Ted in the 80's at a computing company called Hoskyns. Ted was a consultant who looked after the Delta account. He was a good bloke who liked a drink, which we seemed to do most lunch times in those days.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure he had a testimonial in around the 1990/91 season,can't remember who we played though?

cowshed

Reaction score
Saw him play in the Youth Cup Final when he scored 4 goals against Chelsea and we overturned there 5-1 win to beat them 6-5 on aggregate. Totally out played Jimmy Greaves,

The cup was on display in the directors box in the Waterloo road stand with blue and white ribbons on it, we didnt need any motivation

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like you have mixed up several games, as your description doesn't match the record.

The match could have been either: a Wednesday evening, Feb 22 1961. Spurs did not win the game: Spurs 1 Wolves 1, attendance 62,261. And... Ted Farmer scored the Wolves goal! The record does not show if he went in goal; or: Saturday afternoon, 16 September 1961, Tottenham 1 Wolves 0. Ted was playing. Again the record does not show if he went in goal or not, but it wasn't a night match. Farmer also played away at Spurs on 12 September 1962, which was a night match, but we won it 2-1, we didn't lose.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw him play in the Youth Cup Final when he scored 4 goals against Chelsea and we overturned there 5-1 win to beat them 6-5 on aggregate. Totally out played Jimmy Greaves,

The cup was on display in the directors box in the Waterloo road stand with blue and white ribbons on it, we didnt need any motivation

That is my outstanding memory of Ted too. 5-1 down from the 1st leg and he scores 4 in the 1st half, 2 from Cliff Durandt against one from Jimmy Greaves 2nd half made it a lovely May evening at the Mol. Happy days but a great pity that Ted's Wolves career was so short due to injury.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Big Saft Kid, it would have been the Wednesday match on the 22nd Feb 1961. It was fifty nine years ago so my memory may have elapsed. It was the one and only time I went to Spurs. The playing surface was bare of grass with only the corners showing any signs of the green stuff. The locals reckoned it was the pigeons. I would like to find out if he did go in goal, perhaps someone may know.

Reaction score
I was a kid standing with my dad on the South Bank when Wolves beat Everton 4-1 and I personally refer to this match as the pontoon game. It took place on 21st January 1961, it was Ted's 21st birthday and he scored his 21st goal of the season in that game.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a kid standing with my dad on the South Bank when Wolves beat Everton 4-1 and I personally refer to this match as the pontoon game. It took place on 21st January 1961, it was Ted's 21st birthday and he scored his 21st goal of the season in that game.
See post No 23 above. There were more 21s than that!

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
i lived in leicester street as a kid. my mate lived 2 doors down and ted was going out with his sister. ted got all 3 of us free tickets for the fa youth cup final. he came to my mates house before the game and walked us up harrow street and molineux alley to the molineux, we felt like royalty.
absolute tragady he got injured, he was all set for greatness.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ted was also an absolute phenomenon when he was a playing junior football. According to Tony Matthews' "Wolves: The Complete Record" he once scored 11 goals in a morning match and 9 in another match that afternoon. In another game in November 1955 he scored 21 goals in 3 hours of football, 13 in the morning and 8 in the afternoon. In his first season in Wolves juniors in 1956, he scored a staggering 86 goals. On his 1st Division debut v Man U at Old Trafford in September 1960, he scored 2 in a 3-1 win, and finished that season, his first in the Wolves First XI, as top scorer with 28 goals from only 27 league appearances. I think Ted was unique in Wolves' history with that strike rate in that season of more than 1 goal per league game. This included a hat-trick v Arsenal and four v Blues. The team as a whole couldn't stop scoring that season: 103, and that was the fourth season in a row when they topped a 100 goals, which I think is a top flight record. I was fortunate enough to see many of these goals as a kid sitting on the 'wall' in the South Bank. We played tremendous attacking football.

Last edited:

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who does he compare to?
Any stories aswell.

Was very young back then but I did see him play, never really realised how good he was until i met Bobby Mason some years later who was full of admiration for Ted Farmer, who he watched from a young Wolf reach the top until his injury.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ted was also an absolute phenomenon when he was a playing junior football. According to Tony Matthews' "Wolves: The Complete Record" he once scored 11 goals in a morning match and 9 in another match that afternoon. In another game in November 1955 he scored 21 goals in 3 hours of football, 13 in the morning and 8 in the afternoon. In his first season in Wolves juniors in 1956, he scored a staggering 86 goals. On his 1st Division debut v Man U at Old Trafford in September 1960, he scored 2 in a 3-1 win, and finished that season, his first in the Wolves First XI, as top scorer with 28 goals from only 27 league appearances. I think Ted was unique in Wolves' history with that strike rate in that season of more than 1 goal per league game. This included a hat-trick v Arsenal and four v Blues. The team as a whole couldn't stop scoring that season: 103, and that was the fourth season in a row when they topped a 100 goals, which I think is a top flight record. I was fortunate enough to see many of these goals as a kid sitting on the 'wall' in the South Bank. We played tremendous attacking football.

thanks Big Saft Kid, just confirms what Bobby Masons views on the lad, as someone said earlier today that injury could/might have been fixed,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom