Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have you ever watched any other teams regularly?

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grew up on ashma, now live within earshot of Wednesfield fc
Ha ha lived on Griffiths drive for just over a year when I left the Air Force
Used to drink in the Linthouse pub, happy days, occasionally in the ashmore and true Brit

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha ha lived on Griffiths drive for just over a year when I left the Air Force
Used to drink in the Linthouse pub, happy days
Brought my 1st house on the drive, my mates now brought his 1st home, on what was the linthouse.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brought my 1st house on the drive, my mates now brought his 1st home, on what was the linthouse.
Love Wednesfield , regular haunts was The dog and Partrdge, Tiger, Pyle ****. Angel and even sometimes the Cross Guns

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love Wednesfield , regular haunts was The dog and Partrdge, Tiger, Pyle ****. Angel and even sometimes the Cross Guns
Yeah we used to start at the fisherman, then the Pyle ****, Angel, the dog, cross guns, Castle and pheasant. Sadly the Pyle and cross gun shut down. Had some great times in Wednesfield, majority are friendly and some good people.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah we used to start at the fisherman, then the Pyle ****, Angel, the dog, cross guns, Castle and pheasant. Sadly the Pyle and cross gun shut down. Had some great times in Wednesfield, majority are friendly and some good people.
The fisherman, my Dad used to go in there most dinner times and without fail every Friday straight after work for a few hours as he worked at New Cross

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a great pub crawl

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was on that pub crawl it would
Springfield Bitter
Banks’s Mild
Banks’s Mild
Banks’s Mild
Ansells Bitter
Banks’s Mild
Can’t remember what the Pheasant is M&B or Ansells and I used to drink in there for a few years from 1999 to 2005

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I used to watch stockport county around 1990. Including going to Wembley twice in the same season in playoffs and auto glass trophy.
More recently they set a record of 9 wins without conceding a goal, with the keeper being Wayne Hennessy, a young keeper on loan from Wolves. now they are in conference, very sad.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Used to watch Hednesford in late 60’s /early 70s before my dad started taking me to the Wolves. Vaguely remember Staffs Senior Cup final v Kidderminster - held at neutral Tamworth - possibly 1970.

i used to sit on the wall behind the goal - you could almost touch the players - remember teams like Bromsgrove, Atherstone, Halesowen, Lower Gornal, Darlaston, Redditch, Bilston, Brierley Hill, Nuneaton, - and some I cant remember.

M

Monk

Born in Cheslyn Hay but due to work lived in Tilehurst (Reading) in the late 80's for few years. Always came back to Wolves for home games and watched wolves games down south. But watched Reading at Elm park quite often when Kieth Curle played for them. Saw reading win some cup or other the same year we won the sherpa van - was amazed at how many wolves fans their were on the trains from the South East going to the sherpa van final

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw reading win some cup or other the same year we won the sherpa van -
The Simod Cup, or Full Members Cup to give it its full title. The counterpart of the Sherpa Van, but for the top two divisions. Discontinued in 1992.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in Exeter for a while a few years ago, within walking distance of St James Park, and used to go and watch The Grecians on a fairly regular basis. Alan Ball was the manager at the time.
Nice little ground with it's own railway station. Friendly people around me. Remember a pre season friendly against Sheffield Wednesday which drew quite a big crowd. Cardiff City came down for a night game and took over Exeter. The real big rivalry was against Plymouth Argyle and those games had quite a bit of edge to them.
Very fond memories of those days. Also some cracking pubs in the vicinity.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Late 70's my mate was at Uni in Liverpool so we went to all of the midweek European games for about 3 seasons, usually standing at the back of the Kop.
When at Newcastle Poly in the early 80's, I only saw Wolves when I came home, usually monthly, timed to them being at home, STILL had my Season Ticket for the South Bank though!, also went if we were playing in the North, but also went to watch Celtic if they were away in Edinburgh, Perth or Dundee - easy drive & my best mate was a York City fan so we used to pop down there for his Mom's cooking and loads of home matches and a few away on the coach which we had to be members of the York Nomad Society (look them up, didn't realise at the time I was a member of a hooligan society!!!), also a member of the York City supporters club always in the club house after the game and Dennis Smith -York's Manager at the time always came in with a few players no matter if they had won 6-0 or lost 0-6.
For 2 seasons back then my Student Landlord had a couple of Season Tickets for Roker Park, his mate couldn't do night matches so I was co-opted in, he used to drive us both in his E-Type!
Also went to watch Kenny Hibbitt's brother playing for Gateshead quite a few times as they were only a couple of stops on the Metro away, and had a strange liking for going to Hartlipool mainly for the novelty of the fans changing ends at half time, and they made me feel so welcome!
Except for a few trips up to York, and Telford when I lived there, I haven't watched anyone else regularly since about 1986 though, don't think I missed a Wolves match from that season untill we were back in Div 2 for a couple of years then and its been Wolves totally ever since.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5962

Think it might be obvious from my username and various postings that I watch Ajax about as much as I do Wolves (go to more Ajax games in person due to the fact its nearby and the wife is a big fan).

Was a period as a kid when my family tried converting me into a Liverpool fan so I was dragged to a lot of games of theirs too.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also used to like to go to Shrewsbury if we weren’t playing, especially for an early or late season night game under the lights. Lost interest when they moved to the New Meadow, just isn’t the same as a few pints around the town before a slow walk down over the bridge looking at the big old floodlights over on the opposite side lighting up the River Severn before in and wandering around the terraces picking a spot to stand. The new ground is soulless.
I went to school in Shrewsbury, my parents moved from Wolverhampton to Shropshire and so I had to move from Wolverhampton Tech High to Shrewsbury Tech High.
The school was in the building right next to English bridge and in front of the Gay Meadow, we shared the building with the Art School.
I never went to a game and I got a pretty rough ride for a while for a) my Wolverhampton accent and b) supporting Wolves and as a result always had a dislike for Shrewsbury Town.

M

merseawolf

Think it might be obvious from my username and various postings that I watch Ajax about as much as I do Wolves (go to more Ajax games in person due to the fact its nearby and the wife is a big fan).

Was a period as a kid when my family tried converting me into a Liverpool fan so I was dragged to a lot of games of theirs too.
Anywhere near Diemen? My in-laws live there.

D

Deleted member 5962

Anywhere near Diemen? My in-laws live there.

I live in a small village outside of Amsterdam, but Amsterdam Zuid-Oost is the closest urban area to me, which means Diemen is quite close too.

M

merseawolf

I live in a small village outside of Amsterdam, but Amsterdam Zuid-Oost is the closest urban area to me, which means Diemen is quite close too.
Was hoping to visit again during summer but not looking likely now. Keep safe there too. My nephew is doing his training in the Police he says it’s manic like everywhere.

D

Deleted member 5962

Was hoping to visit again during summer but not looking likely now. Keep safe there too. My nephew is doing his training in the Police he says it’s manic like everywhere.

Luckily I live in a small village, its not that bad here. Think I wont be going into the city for a while though. Hope your relatives stay safe.

D

Deleted member 5276

Used to go and watch Wolves reserves at Mol in the 70's when the first team were away. :) Then would sometimes go and watch Gary Matthews knocking them in for Willenhall when they had a good team. After that I watched Kiddy for a couple of seasons as we moved house as Kim Casey was scoring for fun.

Every Easter as a kid the family would trek up to Blackpool for the weekend so I'd usually take in their game... more often than not it was against Burnley.

Then I learned to drive and it was time to go home and away with Wolves for season after season.

Once I started work and ran my own business, I had to go to Portugal and Italy quite a lot. I didn't really go to many Italian games but the people I did business with had a box at Benfica and I've spent many a Saturday watching them.

After that, it has been Orlando City and Orlando Pride ever since they started. Basically, I'm happy to watch football at any level but nothing will ever get to the level of devotion I have for our great club.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dean Court... It's size and character really sum up the team which plays there...

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
hate kiddy ever since they took the brakes place for promotion because the windmill ground not deemed good enough for the next division and then nicked kim casey

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to live in Bromsgrove and went to see Bromsgrove Rovers play during the 80's and early 90's. Sometimes go to watch Bromsgrove Sporting when I am back in the midlands. Moved to Sussex in 94 and started to watch Brighton if any mates were going. Had the privilege of meeting Liam Brady when he was manager; as the company I worked for sponsored the kit. Lovely person and well with chatting to.

sjonnie

Reaction score
Used to be a STH at Ajax. Also used to go down 'de Meer' regularly before they moved to the ArenA and season tickets became popular in NL.

BigSteve

Reaction score
My dad told me that back in the day plenty of people used to go watch Walsall at Bescott when we were playing away.

Always struck me as an odd thing to do. He even took me once.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oxford United in the later 1960s, when stationed at Abingdon with the RAF. Ron and Graham Atkinson were playing for them in those days on their way to winning the Third Division title in 1967-68. I later saw them win the League Cup at Wembley in 1986 when I went with my son and his QPR supporting friend.

I was also a regular visitor to Crystal Palace during the 1969-70 season. I lived about 2 miles away from the ground for a year and that was Palace's first ever season in the top flight. First home match was a creditable 2-2 draw with Manchester United.

In my early teens I occasionally travelled from Lyme Regis to watch Exeter City play and, as I have relatives in Newcastle, I can say that I have been to both St James' Parks.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My dad told me that back in the day plenty of people used to go watch Walsall at Bescott when we were playing away.

Depends where you lived. Coming from Shropshire my old man did the same with Shrewsbury.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Walsall. Short walk from Wednesbury to Fellows Park as a kid (Tony Richards, Colin Taylor, Allan Clarke, George Kirby, Harry Middleton etc ). Until old enough to catch the bus on my own to Wolves in the mid 60s. (Went back in the late 80s to see them get promotion via playoffs with David Kelly).

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Late 90s early 2000s used to go and watch Halesowen Town every home game as the fixtures fit with wolves being away when the yeltz were at home. Had some great ex wolves players in Paul Birch (who was like Messi at that level) and Robbie Dennison. Ex youth teamer Steve Pierce was banging them in. Were really unlucky finished second 3 seasons in a row to Burton, Cheltenham and Rushden & Diamonds who all ended up in the league.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score

It really was a thing when I was a kid! My dad used to take me to Fellows Park as a nipper and I would not be the only Wolves fan there!

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I was on that pub crawl it would
Springfield Bitter
Banks’s Mild
Banks’s Mild
Banks’s Mild
Ansells Bitter
Banks’s Mild
Can’t remember what the Pheasant is M&B or Ansells and I used to drink in there for a few years from 1999 to 2005

The Pheasant was Ansells.

I lived on Ashmore before The True Briton was built (we had a bit of a ' tales from the local's on another thread last year). Built about 1974ish IIRC. It was two streets down from where I lived and where my folks lived until their deaths (one in 1994 the other in 2013). I left Ashma in 1972 but lived in Wednesfield until 1976. I left when I was 23 but still have lived in or around Wolverhampton since.

My uncle was secretary/treasurer of the darts teams at the True Briton for some years after it opened. He was a decent darter and I often went in there with him, as did extended family members, cousins, other uncles as well as me and my late father up until his death in 1994. I didn't play darts (well I did but was never good enough for the teams as many were pretty hot at it).

We moved to Ashma in 1964 before the 'top shops' had been built and much of the estate still under construction. When they did build them there was a 'VG' Grocery store. a newsagents ( Bourne's before it became Stars News where my mother worked part time for years). I was a paper kid there when it was Bourne's from late 1966 when I was thirteen ( Round six which included Ashmore Avenue. Griffith's Drive (part of) and down past the Ashmore Inn down to the junction with Linthouse Lane and Griffith's.) Saturdays were a bit of a dash if we were at home and was constantly *******ed for turning up late for the 'Star's' as that was also 'Pink' night. The other two shops were a Butcher's (the owner had a caravan which my folks hired for holidays in Wales) and on the end the hardware shop. Then there were the 'big shops' built earlier on when the estate was started and had more variety although mother always went to Wednesfield Market (the patch) on Saturdays and then up to Wolverhampton.

My first ever pint of beer in a pub was consumed at The Boat which backs on to the 'cut'. Still at school aged 15 and blagged just the one pint off the landlady who's name escapes me.

All the pubs mentioned above I was a regular in for some years from about 1969ish until 1976. when I then only visited The True Briton when I visited family. Willenhall pubs were also on the list and at Fibbersley The Navigation was frequented when Warwick Williams was the gaffer(he had a personal number plate WW .... can't remember the number) He was huge Wolves fan into the bargain.

After The Fisherman opened after the tower blocks replaced the terraced streets in that part of Wednesfield ( midish sixties) about 1969 it used to be rammed on a Friday and Saturday with standing room only. The place to be seen I suppose before moving on elsewhere. The Laffayette in town and for a time The Catacombs also.

It was though the Working Men's clubs and Work's social clubs where the real character's went. The Tube Social in Waddens' Brook Lane and those in Willenhall gave me my most memorable character's and stories. Common in those days was for a Saturday Night 'concert' when the 'big room' (s) schedule went something like, 7pm Bingo, 8.30PM Interval. This was the time when tin foil and greaseproof paper rustled filling the room and jars of Pickled Onions, Beetroot, gerkins appeared with bowls of Spanish Onion on every table, (my old man used to eat em like an apple not in slices)all brought in by the respective members, Cheese sandwiches, ham sandwiches and cold black pudding and Drippin' sarnies!

9pm the 'Big Turn' started. Usually a singer (Phoenix Nights was sophisticated) who was the pub singer personified usually - although a few bands by the late sixties/seventies started playing and that was much better. Most club's organised the 'Breakfast Trip' on Sunday's which started at about 8am and took everyone to some exotic place like Trentham Gardens (eventually after many 'comfort breaks' and stops for liquid refreshment out of the back of the coach). Followed by a football match which was a joy for me aged about 18 and playing regularly in the Work's league as most of them had huge bellies and were all ****ed as farts. How nobody got serious injury is a mystery and confess to giving those trips a miss for the most part.

Oh and just on thread message there has never been a team I have been slightly interested in other than WWFC.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it just me that gives up on posts over 3 chapters
The younger generation...lol (yes, l know that you aren't that young but you are younger than me l bet!)

All text speak and short attention spans....

My inner Victor M let out to play lol...

S

ShropshireLad

I used to watch stockport county around 1990. Including going to Wembley twice in the same season in playoffs and auto glass trophy.
More recently they set a record of 9 wins without conceding a goal, with the keeper being Wayne Hennessy, a young keeper on loan from Wolves. now they are in conference, very sad.
Peter Broadbent played for them for a season. Only recently discovered that he played for Villa and Shrewsbury as well.

Back
Top Bottom