Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have you ever watched any other teams regularly?

Pompey Wolf

Reaction score
Followed Wolves since 1964/65 as a youngster living in Wednesbury. Used to go to Fellows Park from time to time. One particular game I remember was an 8-0 friendly win against a Finish team called Valkeakosken Haka. Moved to the North East and watched Bishop Auckland and West Auckland from time to time. Regular at Newcastle where my best mate was signed as schoolboy so we used to get in for free. Occasionally went to Roker Park to see Sunderland but it always seemed to be bloody freezing!
Moved from there to Norfolk and had a few trips to Carrow Road. Saw their first ever game in the top division against Everton where the atmosphere was ‘lively’.
Moved to Portsmouth in 1975 and for a few years was fairly regular at Fratton Park. Their division three team with Alan Biley and Mark Hateley up front was quite a decent watch.
The last twenty years, my only visits to Fratton Park were when Wolves were the visitors. In fact all my live football in the last twenty years has involved a 380 mile round trip to my first love.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
So where's the Wolves connection? :confused:

Family. Dad worked for General Accident in Wolverhampton, and my Mum and Dad's first house they bought together was in Downie Road, Bilbrook. My old man got a 1-year contract to move to the GA Head Office in Perth in the mid-70's - they loved it, and they've been there ever since. My Grandad still lives in Codsall, whilst my uncle, auntie and cousin live in Wolverhampton.

We've been going down at least once a year since I was born, and we try to get a Wolves game in every time we're down. My son is 6 now and is desperate to get to a game, although it's pretty much impossible to get tickets now compared to when I was his age!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dudley Town,when they played at the County Ground,i was very young though,went with my elder brother and uncle, been a Wolves supporter since '58/9

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are these recommendations up to date mate? I ask as I thought you were London-based?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I was brought up on Ashmore Park but left at the age of 10 and, after a few moves around the country, I now live near Watford.

Anyhow, a couple of years ago I caught a very early train up for a game, getting into Wolvo around 9am (it was very cheap :D ) and, thinking it wise to spread out my drinking, I caught the 59 bus to AP and had a nostalgic walk around where I was brought up. I then caught the bus back to Wednesfield and visited a few of the pubs. The Dog & Partridge was really good, a great pint of Banks’s, and The Vine was fantastic, so much so that I ended up having a few in there. The Boat was closed so I went in The Angel for a last one and I’ll be kind and say it was an experience. I think it will have looked exactly as it did when I left in 1975...

When we get back to normality I fancy another visit to Ashmore Park and Wednesfield so would appreciate some recommendations of pubs to visit.

Of course. I lived till my early teens in Heath Town and Wednesfield so I've still got friends there, I always go Wednesfield rather than town on a match day and have beer with them.

Approaching my 30s now and spent official more than half my life down south, which is whole forms of scary as where the day has gone.

The Angel was an experience, when I went to University I was within an hour or so of Wolverhampton and the Uni I was at had a pretty quiet night life on a weekend for non-locals. So I'd regularly go back and drink in Castle then go the late night raves in Angel, where it was owned by George and would blast out dancehall music till 5am. Can outside and wait for the Tiger to open and onwards to the Wolves match.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Of course. I lived till my early teens in Heath Town and Wednesfield so I've still got friends there, I always go Wednesfield rather than town on a match day and have beer with them.

Approaching my 30s now and spent official more than half my life down south, which is whole forms of scary as where the day has gone.

The Angel was an experience, when I went to University I was within an hour or so of Wolverhampton and the Uni I was at had a pretty quiet night life on a weekend for non-locals. So I'd regularly go back and drink in Castle then go the late night raves in Angel, where it was owned by George and would blast out dancehall music till 5am. Can outside and wait for the Tiger to open and onwards to the Wolves match.
Haha you can do those things when you’re young! Thanks for the tips, I’ll look up the Castle, Boat and Pheasant on my next trip over.

My grandad lived in Campion House, Heath Town when I was a kid in the 70s/80s and later I went into the New World(?) in the low rises across the Wolverhampton Road a few times in my teens to buy weed.

John Richards 1974

Reaction score
Bought back some memories reading these posts, lived in Adey Road and Wood End Road in the sixties. My Dad was always in the Albion so much so that Mitchells offered him the Royal Oak On corner of rookery street and from there moved to 2 other pubs in Walsall.

Watched Blakenall before discovering Wolves, used to jump onto back of open backed lorry to travel to Game :eek: No health & safety in those days :D

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Being born and growing up in Perth, I've always supported St Johnstone. Went to my first game in 1982, and have had a season ticket, on and off, for about 35 years. I've lived in Edinburgh for the last 15 years, but get to most home games, as well as trying to get to as many away games as family life allows. It's great to meet up with my old man for the games, and we also take along my son and two nephews quite often. Free season tickets and entry to the ground for all kids under 13 - home and away fans - which is a fantastic deal. Just wish the other clubs would reciprocate!

I've seen the full spectrum - from the club being bottom of the Scottish Leagues and almost going out of business in the mid-80's, right up to winning the Scottish Cup for the only time in our history in 2014, beating Rosenborg and Luzerne in Europe. So many brilliant memories. After all the heartache and despair over the decades, when something good happens it means so much more.
If you were at the two home matches against Celtic in season 83-84 then that was 2 MolMixers at the games @Edinburgh Wolf , the best Haggis Pies I ever had were at Muirton Park!

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
If you were at the two home matches against Celtic in season 83-84 then that was 2 MolMixers at the games @Edinburgh Wolf , the best Haggis Pies I ever had were at Muirton Park!
I was definitely at one when Celtic hammered saints.... My old man used to lift me over the turnstiles at Muirton in those days.

The steak and chorizo pies at mcdiarmid park are definitely up there as one of the best pies the days!

top fox wolf

Reaction score
When my son billy Turley signed professional for Northampton town RUSHTON and DIAMONDS and oxford United. I used to watch most of the home games as long as WOLVES was away as it happened didn't miss many WOLVES home games the fixtures mostly feel right happy days .

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
1) Cheap tickets (£5!) for Maine Road when I was at uni in Manchester and I couldn't get back here for midweek games or whatever

2) Also liked the odd Stockport game at the same time, lived in South Manchester so dead easy to get there and back

3) Saw most of St Pauli's home games in my year in Hamburg, a few HSV ones too though they tend towards the mullet and stonewashed jeans end of German culture, plus their ground is in the middle of nowhere

Back
Top Bottom