Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Ramos

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but I can also imagine the verdict thread on here if we don’t beat Spurs 0-4 on Saturday! It isn’t going to be that easy to implement a new system, integrate new players, and keep everyone happy!
Only four we need more fire power up front :tearsofjoy:

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe they don't coach flair out of their kids in the way we do here? Where even for under-10s, it becomes all about strength, winning at all costs, and learning the fine art of the offside trap. Takes the joy out of it at a young age.
To be fair as a coach of multiple age groups I think that was true in the past but absolutely not true now.
It’s rondo, rondo, rondo, play out from the back and show me your skills.
My team can play a low block counter attack, a high press, understand setting traps and pressing triggers. They are 11 and they are girls. I’m not a particularly good coach.

Grass roots football has come a long way. I’d love to be coached as a kid like they are now. What I feel is missing though is the 18 a side, multiple ages out the street football.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This hasn't been true for about 10 years, tired old criticism.

Sure? Somebody posted recently here on childrens coaching in the UK and clearly stated how they were enforcing tactics, organisation and so on at a level that the game was not enjoyable any more for the children. My son attended some coaching sessions around 12 years ago and I also was shocked how it was like the 1950's had not gone away! 8 year olds being told they were "defenders" and "mustn't cross the half way line". And that was just the start. This was the childrens section of a professional, Championship club.

Maybe some clubs are different.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair as a coach of multiple age groups I think that was true in the past but absolutely not true now.
It’s rondo, rondo, rondo, play out from the back and show me your skills.
My team can play a low block counter attack, a high press, understand setting traps and pressing triggers. They are 11 and they are girls. I’m not a particularly good coach.

Grass roots football has come a long way. I’d love to be coached as a kid like they are now. What I feel is missing though is the 18 a side, multiple ages out the street football.

Is that what the 11 years olds are focussing on in Portugal? Brazil? Spain?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that what the 11 years olds are focussing on in Portugal? Brazil? Spain?
I don’t know I don’t coach in Portugal, Brazil or Spain. Nor did I say it was the kids focus I said they understood those concepts. The point being, the idea that we focus purely on strength etc is an outdated perception.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure? Somebody posted recently here on childrens coaching in the UK and clearly stated how they were enforcing tactics, organisation and so on at a level that the game was not enjoyable any more for the children. My son attended some coaching sessions around 12 years ago and I also was shocked how it was like the 1950's had not gone away! 8 year olds being told they were "defenders" and "mustn't cross the half way line". And that was just the start. This was the childrens section of a professional, Championship club.

Watch Football Dreams a sixpart documentary on the Crystal Palace academy. Channel 4 showing episode 2 tomorrow at 9pm.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coaching courses are way cheaper over there compared to here, so you get better coaches, on top of that it helps they've had Ronaldo playing for them for the last 20+ years. Something kids can aspire to be (hopefully not on a personal level mind). Probably also helps Benfica and Sporting have some of the best youth academies in world football along with the scouting and like mentioned coaching to go with it all.
With our strong connection with Portugal we should be building a Portuguese style development centre from the ground up. There's absolutely no reason not to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

How England transformed its young footballers | DW | 17.05.2018
Elite football coaching for kids is very similar to Germany now, reason that so many successful age group sides from England bleeding into good performances from the senior team.

Foden, Elliot, Saka, Sancho, Smith-Rowe, Trent, Bellingham to name but a few are all incredibly skillful and flair players who've come through the ranks recently.

I'd argue that CBs are weakest parts of English team at the moment actually.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know I don’t coach in Portugal, Brazil or Spain. Nor did I say it was the kids focus I said they understood those concepts. The point being, the idea that we focus purely on strength etc is an outdated perception.

We will see the results from what we reap in about 10 years!

Anyway, the point is that Portugal has, for the past 25 years, produced football talent far out of proportion to what you expect for it's size. So the starting point is also the conclusion - that they must be doing something different. I take your point that coaching has evolved in the UK - Englands recent improvement probably confirms that. Presumably professionals higher up in the game must wonder "what are Portugal coaches doing? Is there anything we could learn from them?"

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will see the results from what we reap in about 10 years!

Anyway, the point is that Portugal has, for the past 25 years, produced football talent far out of proportion to what you expect for it's size. So the starting point is also the conclusion - that they must be doing something different. I take your point that coaching has evolved in the UK - Englands recent improvement probably confirms that. Presumably professionals higher up in the game must wonder "what are Portugal coaches doing? Is there anything we could learn from them?"
I strongly suspect the FA have coaches working, learning and sharing experience all over the world.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been a loan with obligation all the way along.

This one will happen IMO.

Just a question of when.
If you believe the person who knew about the Nunes transfer happening on the 15th two weeks ago, Benfica have no problem with a loan with obligation, but both sides are very far apart on their valuation of the player. Given Ramos's start to this season, I do wonder if they're pricing us out of a move for him.

As others have said, it could also come down to a waiting game, with Benfica playing tonight against Dynamo Kyiv in the first leg of a Champions League play-off match (2nd leg on Tuesday 23rd). If they win that, then Ramos might stay, if they don't, there might be more of a willingness to sell with no Champions League revenue for Benfica.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What, you mean with two broken legs or something? Weird.
I don't really get what you mean, but if you told someone our strikers have been playing with broken legs for two years, they'd probably believe you.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really get what you mean, but if you told someone our strikers have been playing with broken legs for two years, they'd probably believe you.
You said we need a striker in a bad way ie a striker with two broken legs is in a bad way joke :tearsofjoy:

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s been a loan with obligation all the way along.

This one will happen IMO.

Just a question of when.
I suspect we're behind Newcastle on this one, but ahead of the other interested parties like Southampton and Everton for obvious reasons. Personally, and I'm aware this is an unpopular opinion at least on the Mix, I'd rather see a centre forward from another country or the lower leagues come in. That said, Ramos looks like a real talent and physically up to the job so I won't be disappointed either way!!

T

TheConcourse

I suspect we're behind Newcastle on this one, but ahead of the other interested parties like Southampton and Everton for obvious reasons. Personally, and I'm aware this is an unpopular opinion at least on the Mix, I'd rather see a centre forward from another country or the lower leagues come in. That said, Ramos looks like a real talent and physically up to the job so I won't be disappointed either way!!
I think we’re ahead of them all tbh and the final qualification game v Kyiv is what’s holding it up.

Suspicion is that’s why Newcastle have moved on to Pedro. They’ll know that a Portugeezer is coming to Wolves with Mendes’ influence.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mike McGrath saying soton and Newcastle on for Ramos now

NorthWolf

Reaction score

I was worried about this earlier but then thought, he wants top level football so coming to Wolves is better for him as he knows Bruno, will get same level of exposure at Wolves as those two clubs to higher level clubs, as was Jota, we have a strong and well established Portuguese contingent. If he is persuaded by a few quid more in his wages perhaps we don't want that sort around anyway.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southampton no chance. Newcastle only if they make a better offer to his club. Already been reported that this is now down to the fee payable at the end of the loan and likely won’t be resolved until after the CL qualifier.

T

TheConcourse

Southampton no chance. Newcastle only if they make a better offer to his club. Already been reported that this is now down to the fee payable at the end of the loan and likely won’t be resolved until after the CL qualifier.
Wonder whether this is where having a Traore kicking his heels could be useful? Definitely gives us leverage to swap him out for the season.

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the difference between now and pre Guedes/Nunes is that we all know if we want him we’ll get him. I know Newcastle are loaded but with his Mendes connections I can’t imagine him choosing them over us. I suppose they could offer higher wages which might be the only issue.

Back
Top Bottom