Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Ramos

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes off course....they generally trot that out about the Portuguese league in the British media, and then Bruno Fernandes and Ruben Dias come straight over and win premier league player of the year awards in their 1st and 2nd season.....it's a hot bed of talent the Portuguese league....considering the lack of money in the league it's record at producing top class players is phenomenal ....wasn't benfica the first club to hit a billion pounds in player sales......off course all the top players leave at an early age but that's just economics.....it's a hotbed of young talent and has been for ages.......

Despite its lack of money , I would put the leagues record of producing players up against any other league.....it's remarkable..

It is astonishing what they produce, unbelievable even. How have they done it?
I know the big 3 clubs try to vacuum up every good player from 6 yrs old.......but they are still finding other world-beaters at provincial clubs. What are they doing to their kids to make them better than ours in such huge numbers?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know the big 3 clubs try to vacuum up every good player from 6 yrs old.......but they are still finding other world-beaters at provincial clubs. What are they doing to their kids to make them better than ours in such huge numbers?

Coaching courses are way cheaper over there compared to here, so you get better coaches, on top of that it helps they've had Ronaldo playing for them for the last 20+ years. Something kids can aspire to be (hopefully not on a personal level mind). Probably also helps Benfica and Sporting have some of the best youth academies in world football along with the scouting and like mentioned coaching to go with it all.

kevinmuscat

Reaction score
Feel like I should repeat my offer to eat **** if Ramos signs as it worked so well last time.

However what I really feel is that some time ago Guo told Jeff and Jorge that the show was back on. Jorge has sat in the middle of his web and told Neves not to push to leave as Nunes, Guedes and Ramos were all on their way. Maybe we couldn't sign any of these players one at a time, but if some transfer master tells them all that the rest are on their way too, it all becomes possible.
I think we can even pinpoint the rough time this happened. Remember when the 'Neves on the market for £70 million' rumours died out within the same two week span as the Palhinha deal collapsing?

Methinks we pulled the plug on Palhinha as soon as Shi got the phone call and realised we could aim higher. Palhinha was happy to sign for Fulham as quickly as he did because it wasn't a salary/contractual/who-has-the-better-sporting-project matter anymore - they were the only ones in for him by that point. Neves also didn't need to be sold anymore, hence the lack of talk on that front.

Also explains why it's taken a while to make these signings - at some point Shi and Sellars would have had to reassess all our transfer targets with a higher budget in mind.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Portugal and Brazil, for whatever reason, produce the most sublimely skilful footballers. Something in the jeans - ok genes.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would have some team if you did a premier league 11 of players produced through the Portuguese league system......I don't think any other league beats it myself.... especially with its lack of money....

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You would have some team if you did a premier league 11 of players produced through the Portuguese league system......I don't think any other league beats it myself.... especially with its lack of money....
Think the English one probably would but you're right it is astounding.

I don't really buy the idea their kids or their talent production is miles better than England though. They won Euro vs losing it and won Nations League vs finishing 3rd.

Not exactly streets different.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pah! You're just like the others with their empty promises and lip service. You'll never do it. We're still waiting on some Reader's Wives action from Walsall and at least a couple of ****-eaters to step up to the plate just off the top of my head.

All mouth, no trousers.

(Just realised....that's a perfect description of you and Jeff when Ramos signs)
It’s the Wolverhampton version of 2 girls 1 cup. (Don’t Google it)

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will be awesome if we can add Ramos to Nunes and Guedes.

We would have some seriously talented players, that should be challenging the top six.

I am confident in the centre backs and a midfield of Neves and Nunes is right up there with the very best. It's all down to scoring goals (and hoping our fullbacks improve).

With Bruno allegedly speaking to Ramos and him having played for Bruno before, you have to think that stands us in good stead.

Making signings like Nunes and Guedes must also help.

Imagine

Sa
Semedo, Collins, Kilman, RAN
Neves, Nunes, Moutinho
Guedes, Ramos, Neto

With a bench including;

Jiminez
MGW
Adama
Podence
Jonny
Boly

I have watched the Wolves since 1979, and that (if it happened) would be the strongest Wolves squad in 50 years.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We would have some seriously talented players, that should be challenging the top six.

I am confident in the centre backs and a midfield of Neves and Nunes is right up there with the very best. It's all down to scoring goals (and hoping our fullbacks improve).

With Bruno allegedly speaking to Ramos and him having played for Bruno before, you have to think that stands us in good stead.

Imagine

Sa
Neves, Nunes, Moutinho
Guedes, Ramos, Neto

With a bench including;

Jiminez
MGW
Adama
Podence
Jonny
Boly

I have watched the Wolves since 1979, and that (if it happened) would be the strongest Wolves squad in 50 years.

100% agree. The only potential cloud in this beautiful golden sky is that it puts Bruno under significant pressure. No excuses anymore. With a squad like that, fans and club expectations will be high and Fosun are neither are going to be very patient. But if he succeeds, then we will be taking the next step upwards, and if he fails, the club should be able to attract a quality coach with that squad.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
100% agree. The only potential cloud in this beautiful golden sky is that it puts Bruno under significant pressure. No excuses anymore. With a squad like that, fans and club expectations will be high and Fosun are neither are going to be very patient. But if he succeeds, then we will be taking the next step upwards, and if he fails, the club should be able to attract a quality coach with that squad.
Or you could argue it lifts pressure as he's got players to play how he wants.

Either way, we just need striker now.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the new signings should in theory give bruno a bit more leeway to be honest, but i know that wont be the case. He is implementing a new system whilst integrating 3, most likely 4 if new striker comes along into the first 11. Im expecting more of the same for the next 5 to 6 games whilst we get the existing players to adapt to what bruno wants from his team. Patience will be needed i am sure.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the new signings should in theory give bruno a bit more leeway to be honest, but i know that wont be the case. He is implementing a new system whilst integrating 3, most likely 4 if new striker comes along into the first 11. Im expecting more of the same for the next 5 to 6 games whilst we get the existing players to adapt to what bruno wants from his team. Patience will be needed i am sure.

I agree. I think the club would likely expect to see the new squad humming by the time of the World Cup, and if not, they may feel the need to act.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope we hear something on ramos soon. Could have done with him in by the weekend. Not going to happen now. If we can sign him at least by weekend so he can get started.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Hope we hear something on Ramos soon. Could have done with him in by the weekend. Not going to happen now. If we can sign him at least by weekend so he can get started.
He won't leave until the 23rd by all accounts. Think he might end up at Newcastle tbh, can see Mendes wanting to get in with them - despite them actually not spending massively this summer.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He won't leave until the 23rd by all accounts. Think he might end up at Newcastle tbh, can see Mendes wanting to get in with them - despite them actually not spending massively this summer.
In fairness to Newcastle they have tried and had offers accepted by the clubs but the players haven’t agreed to proceed to talk terms on a few occasions according to people I know.

In some cases the player has moved to another club for lesser fees than Newcastle had been negotiated into paying.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the English one probably would but you're right it is astounding.

I don't really buy the idea their kids or their talent production is miles better than England though. They won Euro vs losing it and won Nations League vs finishing 3rd.

Not exactly streets different.
Never said better....just said when you factor in the level of the league, finances, facilities, size of country etc...it's remarkable...they equally provide as many top players as us......not as much bulk with our league system etc.....it's a relatively small country population wise Portugal....they are also excellent with develping south american youngsters....it wasn't a dig at English players etc just pointing out it's is quite exceptional in Portugal....

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Imagine

Sa
Neves, Nunes, Moutinho
Guedes, Ramos, Neto

With a bench including;

Jiminez
MGW
Adama
Podence
Jonny
Boly

As amazing as that team looks today.. just think where it could be in 2 years with further development of those young players.

Minus Moutinho, they all have their prime years ahead you could argue.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With a squad like that if Bruno can’t someone else wilBe queuing up for the job and I don’t mean Dean Saunders:tearsofjoy:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Portugal and Brazil, for whatever reason, produce the most sublimely skilful footballers. Something in the jeans - ok genes.

Maybe they don't coach flair out of their kids in the way we do here? Where even for under-10s, it becomes all about strength, winning at all costs, and learning the fine art of the offside trap. Takes the joy out of it at a young age.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Never said better....just said when you factor in the level of the league, finances, facilities, size of country etc...it's remarkable...they equally provide as many top players as us......not as much bulk with our league system etc.....it's a relatively small country population wise Portugal....they are also excellent with develping south american youngsters....it wasn't a dig at English players etc just pointing out it's is quite exceptional in Portugal....
Yeh for sure their system is brilliant no question as you say given resources. Was a response to someone else mentioning how they produce much better youngsters than us.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Maybe they don't coach flair out of their kids in the way we do here? Where even for under-10s, it becomes all about strength, winning at all costs, and learning the fine art of the offside trap. Takes the joy out of it at a young age.
This hasn't been true for about 10 years, tired old criticism.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

In fairness the standards and methods of coaching in the UK have improved steadily over the past 20 years. The profile of player coming through the England youth ranks now is much different to when I was young. To even ten years ago. When Wilshere and Sterling came through they were standout exceptions, now they’re the norm. Along with ball-playing defenders and a glut of technically-sound wide forwards.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really do feel the climate has a significant impact. As a father of two boys winter midweek training can be really tough. I don’t imagine that feeling occurs too often on the Iberian peninsula ..!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now now, that sounds a bit Souness-y for me. They could just as easily have daughters who play for Wolves and England. You bloody dinosaur!!

#Canceltonto
Sorry but I told you I was as old as a concierge tree but in my defence I was saying Wolves and England
Sorry ladies :tearsofjoy:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Imagine

Sa
Neves, Nunes, Moutinho
Guedes, Ramos, Neto

With a bench including;

Jiminez
MGW
Adama
Podence
Jonny
Boly

Yes, but I can also imagine the verdict thread on here if we don’t beat Spurs 0-4 on Saturday! It isn’t going to be that easy to implement a new system, integrate new players, and keep everyone happy!

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but I can also imagine the verdict thread on here if we don’t beat Spurs 0-4 on Saturday! It isn’t going to be that easy to implement a new system, integrate new players, and keep everyone happy!
Oh yeah we’re seconds away from the ‘Why aren’t we top’ Bruno backlash.

Literal seconds.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, maybe they concentrate on football - kids in England have the choice of football, rugby, athletics, gymnastics, swimming, tennis, cricket etc etc.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh yeah we’re seconds away from the ‘Why aren’t we top’ Bruno backlash.

Literal seconds.
If we get nunes and even we dont get ramos.

hes got a very hard next 14 games.

Embed new systen, new club captain (loss of coady in and around compton)

I dont think we see the best of wolves and the system untill October

Back
Top Bottom