Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t see how it would be funny, seems like it would be a good fit at present since we don’t have a true nine available.
He’s bigger/stronger/better balanced than any of the other options we have fit right now.

Funny would be signing Guedes and then still playing Hwang there.
My point was it would be amusing if we signed him to specifically play as the false nine after the outcry about having been forced to play this system (which we didn't play the whole of pre-season) because of Raul's injury, but yeah you trump me on the amusement factor there

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is guedes a big name in football?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point was it would be amusing if we signed him to specifically play as the false nine after the outcry about having been forced to play this system (which we didn't play the whole of pre-season) because of Raul's injury, but yeah you trump me on the amusement factor there
I just don’t think there’s anything bad about the signing, or any way to beat the club up about this one.
He’s a quality player, at least as good as any of our other ‘wide’ players, and is better physically suited and more experienced playing centrally than the rest. So he fills a gap for now, then becomes a better wide option when we have a more natural 9 available.

I’m searching for the amusement value. Maybe it’s lost somewhere between our generally opposite levels of optimism. (I’m a relatively happy clapper but still right ****ed off with this window until today, but add the right midfielder and I’ll be genuinely happy. Signing Guedes then still wanting at least 1 striker doesn’t particularly make sense to me when there are far more pressing concerns)

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Tim Vickery, Guedes is pronounced "Gedge".

If he's right, for those who are not impressed with this signing maybe

Goncalo Gedge
He cost a fair wedge
But he can't hit a hedge
Our Goncalo Gedge

(he'll be a good'un, though)

I've seen something on Twitter by someone Portuguese who says it's something like "Gee-desh" - with the 'sh' being a Portuguese sh, you know like Ruben Nevsh - like a soft, long 'j' but hey, maybe Tim is the expert...

henri_camara

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've seen something on Twitter by someone Portuguese who says it's something like "Gee-desh" - with the 'sh' being a Portuguese sh, you know like Ruben Nevsh - like a soft, long 'j' but hey, maybe Tim is the expert...
And the ç in Gonçalo is a Z with a lisp

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely it's too late for us to start pronouncing Portuguese names properly!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We criticise when they don't get players over the line but the numpties upstairs will deserve some credit if they get this one done and dusted. Even so, midfielder and striker are the priority positions so let's hope they now follow

Guedes has a better goal scoring record than our others, so that may well be it for strikers. We aren't going to get one, basically. Midfield now becomes urgent priority.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guedes has a better goal scoring record than our others, so that may well be it for strikers. We aren't going to get one, basically. Midfield now becomes urgent priority.
Saturday again showed the desperate need for athleticism in the central midfield position. We are great when we have the ball further forward but we need somebody good on the ball under pressure who can handle the pace of the game and press.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I lived in California and became close friends with a couple of Mexicans who were really into their football. Met them because an English guy, who was living with them in a house share, stopped me in the street one day because I was wearing a Wolves top and he was a Blues fan from Smethwick. The Mexican's had good English but strong Mexican accents. However, they pronounced all English football team names and players with a black country accent because of this guy's influence. It sounded bizarre how they would flip from sounding like someone from Narcos and switch to a Kevin Turvey accent when talking English football.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn't in the Valencia squad for the friendly with Atalanta last Saturday.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was half asleep whilst listening so am clearly open to correction!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturday again showed the desperate need for athleticism in the central midfield position. We are great when we have the ball further forward but we need somebody good on the ball under pressure who can handle the pace of the game and press.

Exactly. Watched bits of pieces of various matches over the weekend and noticable how often other teams get 3 or 4 in the box. Sometimes, for a team on top (eg Arsenal v Palace) it would be 5. As no team has more than 3 forwards, that's midfielders getting in there, too. And even more amazing, moments later, those same midfielders are back winning the ball on the half way line.

This has been pointed out so often, can only assume it is down to the qualities of the players we have, not formation or anything deliberately tactical.

Aside from that, still not sure we move the ball quick enough in the final 3rd. Maybe linked to the lack of arriving support. Too much stopping, twisting and turning, which allows opponents to get back and reorganise.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Couple of questions .. if he signs today is there any reason he wouldn't make the squad on Saturday?
Has he played any pre season with Valencia? Wonder what his fitness is like?

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couple of questions .. if he signs today is there any reason he wouldn't make the squad on Saturday?
No, needs to be registered before noon on friday
La Liga starts this weekend so he had a full pre season

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tim Vickery is probably the most interesting football person out there to listen to.

He appears, or used to certainly, on late night red-eye radio every Friday night.

A great talker and highly knowledgeable, especially re South American players [for obvious reasons!].
Him and Danny Baker on a Sunday night are the best thing on talksport

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Him and Danny Baker on a Sunday night are the best thing on talksport
Is he on Talksport these days?

It was BBC Radio5 where I used to love listening to him; usually from about 2-4am Friday nights [Saturday mornings].

A brilliant broadcaster, I reckon.

Danny Baker likewise FWIW.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah, full pre-season, he is a quality player with international pedigree and goals just throw him in as soon as the paperwork is ratified with the league before Friday lunch time.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It was BBC Radio5 where I used to love listening to him; usually from about 2-4am Friday nights [Saturday mornings].

Loved Danny Baker when he started BBC 606. He also did a Saturday lunchtime slot on 5 for a while which was good. Unfortunately kept getting sacked for telling it how it is. I think the last one was for basically calling a referee all the names under the sun for a very poor refereeing performance.

Another good presenter who was on talk sport in its early days is Tom Watt. He’s a mad Arsenal fan but really knows his football and used to do show at about 5pm and he’d cover clubs in all divisions and would be really knowledgeable about players a far cry from today’s if they’re not in the top 6 they’re not worth talking about.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved Danny Baker when he started BBC 606. He also did a Saturday lunchtime slot on 5 for a while which was good. Unfortunately kept getting sacked for telling it how it is. I think the last one was for basically calling a referee all the names under the sun for a very poor refereeing performance.

Another good presenter who was on talk sport in its early days is Tom Watt. He’s a mad Arsenal fan but really knows his football and used to do show at about 5pm and he’d cover clubs in all divisions and would be really knowledgeable about players a far cry from today’s if they’re not in the top 6 they’re not worth talking about.
No, it was a picture he tweeted of Harry and Megan holding hands with a chimpanzee......

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, it was a picture he tweeted of Harry and Megan holding hands with a chimpanzee......
That was his last BBC sacking, he was sacked twice from 606 for comments he made about referees and some other stuff I can’t remember.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I meant Danny Kelly. But I also liked Danny Baker on 606

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That was his last BBC sacking, he was sacked twice from 606 for comments he made about referees and some other stuff I can’t remember.
Didn't he say he hoped people rioting in London got cancer? Dunno if that was related, I know he had it himself but probably wouldn't be a popular viewpoint

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That lad has got an eye for goal!
Moreover is the variety of goals he scores, left foot, right foot, head, and he can really spank them from range. Hopefully we don't coach that out of him like we did with Neves because that quality is very useful for a team that struggles to score goals.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Moreover is the variety of goals he scores, left foot, right foot, head, and he can really spank them from range. Hopefully we don't coach that out of him like we did with Neves because that quality is very useful for a team that struggles to score goals.
What did we coach out of Neves?

Back
Top Bottom