Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

Kennedy

Reaction score
Is he any good?

I only know players in the Prem....

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seems like its happening given a number of reputable sources have confirmed it.

Now a midfielder and striker and things will look a lot more promising for the season.

I'd expect this one will be completed pretty quickly, Wolves are one of the few clubs which seem to keep transfer news low-key until the signing is near enough complete. Collins broke less than 24 hours before he signed.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he any good?

I only know players in the Prem....
Played under Lage at youth level for Benfica so they'll both know each other well.

Was very hyped in his early days at Benfica, so much so that PSG bought him for a hefty fee at around 19 y/o or so. Struggled to break into their team due to his age as you'd imagine, so was loaned out to Valencia where he began to make an impact. 5g + 9a in his first year led to Valencia signing him permanently for around €30m iirc. He looked really promising & even scored the winning goal for Portugal in the Nations League final vs the Netherlands a few years back, but seemed to stall at club level as Valencia began to regress year on year.

Last season though, he was deployed mainly at Striker/Second Striker and managed to bag 11g + 6a, Valencia fans on the whole love him and see him as their best player alongside Carlos Soler. He's direct, can play out wide or up top, has a decent eye for goal, and a good longshot on him.

Can't say I've watched loads of him recently, but would seem like a good pickup on paper considering historically only Raul, MGW (second div) & Hwang in our squad have scored 10+ in a season in their career (& Hwang's was in Austria!)

Kennedy

Reaction score
Played under Lage at youth level for Benfica so they'll both know each other well.

Was very hyped in his early days at Benfica, so much so that PSG bought him for a hefty fee at around 19 y/o or so. Struggled to break into their team due to his age as you'd imagine, so was loaned out to Valencia where he began to make an impact. 5g + 9a in his first year led to Valencia signing him permanently for around €30m iirc. He looked really promising & even scored the winning goal for Portugal in the Nations League final vs the Netherlands a few years back, but seemed to stall at club level as Valencia began to regress year on year.

Last season though, he was deployed mainly at Striker/Second Striker and managed to bag 11g + 6a, Valencia fans on the whole love him and see him as their best player alongside Carlos Soler. He's direct, can play out wide or up top, has a decent eye for goal, and a good longshot on him.

Can't say I've watched loads of him recently, but would seem like a good pickup on paper considering historically only Raul, MGW (second div) & Hwang in our squad have scored 10+ in a season in their career (& Hwang's was in Austria!)
Very interesting!

Thank you.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah top 6 will be all the big boys this year. That team would be fun but way too open a lot of the time, should be another sitting midfielder next to Neves ideally.
Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman RAN
Neves Nunes
Neto Podence Guedes
Belotti​

Very unlikely of course, but that’s a better starting eleven than Arsenal.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman RAN
Neves Nunes
Neto Podence Guedes
Belotti​

Very unlikely of course, but that’s a better starting eleven than Arsenal.
We'd have Neves basically covering both fullbacks. Watching Nunes I don't think he is disciplined enough to play in a double pivot in the Prem in a 4. He does for Sporting but it's a 5 at the back so he has more cover and they also completely dominant the ball so it's akin to City not needing two proper sitters.

Don't think that starting 11 is better than Arsenal's, Belotti is overrated - bit of a penalty merchant and nowhere near Jesus. Saka is better than any of our attackers, Ødegaard better than Podence. Their CBs far more proven, Gabriel is at the moment clearly ahead of Kilman and Collins. White is a really good player and Saliba has more potential than basically any young CB in the world. Fullbacks probably close as Tierney is always out injured but Zinchenko and Tomiyasu are terrific players.

Our CMs would be better, that's about it imo

They also then have a far superior bench.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get Batshuayi and Guedes I will be delighted.

Sa
Jonny, Killman, Collins, Ran
Neves, Moutinho
MGW
Neto, Batshuayi, Guedes

Bench when everyone is fit

Sarkic
Hwang
Pedonce
Donk
Adama
Boly
Jiminez
Coady
Ronan
Cundle

In reality I expect Coady and Adama to be sold to fund Guedes, or maybe they will take the MGW offer. Someone is being sacrificed so we can spend £25m+ on Guedes - I think he is a talent and will do well.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Struggled to break into their team due to his age as you'd imagine, so was loaned out to Valencia where he began to make an impact. 5g + 9a in his first year led to Valencia signing him permanently for around €30m iirc.
That was probably when he was first mentioned on here.....did we not go for him but he preferred to stay in Valencia, and we also tried for Cancelo from Valencia and failed with him too.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This an Belotti would certainly lift some of the malaise. I’d offer Belotti silly money on a two-year deal or something, he can return to Italy as a 30-year old and still play for a big club over there then.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get Batshuayi and Guedes I will be delighted.

Sa
Jonny, Killman, Collins, Ran
Neves, Moutinho
MGW
Neto, Batshuayi, Guedes

Bench when everyone is fit

Sarkic
Hwang
Pedonce
Donk
Adama
Boly
Jiminez
Coady
Ronan
Cundle

In reality I expect Coady and Adama to be sold to fund Guedes, or maybe they will take the MGW offer. Someone is being sacrificed so we can spend £25m+ on Guedes - I think he is a talent and will do well.
Semedo ?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be an excellent signing. Hopefully it didn’t mean MGW is leaving to pay for it. Guedes, Belotti and Nico on loan and we’re looking a lot better.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah top 6 will be all the big boys this year. That team would be fun but way too open a lot of the time, should be another sitting midfielder next to Neves ideally.

I think we looked better in a 433 personally

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Would be a great signing. Surprised at the fee given (a) our supposed cash issues and (b) he only has 12 months left on his contract.

Had a great year for Valencia last season so would be really pleased to get this one over the line.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would be a great signing. Surprised at the fee given (a) our supposed cash issues and (b) he only has 12 months left on his contract.

Had a great year for Valencia last season so would be really pleased to get this one over the line.
I dont think he does have 12 months. I k ow its not gospel but transfermarket has him with 2 years remaining

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

2 years left

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano
·
45s

Gonçalo Guedes deal. Valencia are prepared to accept the official proposal from Wolves, more than £27m bid submitted - but discussions still ongoing on player side. #transfers Key hours ahead as Gonçalo Guedes will leave Valencia to join Premier League.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of foreign sources claiming €35mil but that is what they have been claiming Valencia wanted all summer but just seen Talking Wolves say it is somewhere between £25-30mil which is a better deal and seems more likely given his contract situation.

Glad to see we are just pulling the trigger and paying the money to get a priority target through the door. Really excited by Guedes signing, he has real quality.

I hope it isn't a signal that MGW or Adama are being sold though as if we are sticking with 4231 and Chiquinho being long term injured we were a player short in this position anyway.

Neto/Hwang - Guedes/Podence - MGW/Adama

If we sell MGW to fund this then I hope we are signing two strikers and Raul is dropping back to be a 10 or we have genuine interest in Dieng at Marsielle who is available for £10mil.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They admitted we couldn't compete with the top 6....have they ever said there is no money? They will obviously pay when they can see a good deal for a proven player, and if Guedes is as favoured by Valencia fans as it seems, he would have good re-sale value and should be a low risk signing.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure on this one

If it’s because Mgw is going (due to not signing a contract) and we need a replacement - then fine. Strange Mgw won’t sign a contract though.

Secondly it seems another massively over priced signing disproportionate to where we should be spending our budget

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe that this means MGW will go.
Would love to know reasons why. Surely Guedes will be more money than Mgw

Not saying Mgw deserves the same, I don’t enough about Guedes. All just seems a bit backwards to me

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like a lot of other people I think, "Is this really the signing we need right now?"
Everton (that's the totally skint Everton) are spending £30m on Onana, who's a big, strong ball-carrying midfielder.
Watching Fulham Liverpool we should have been all over Palinha to play alongside Neves. On yesterday's evidence we may well need another FB.
But what do I know? I'm only a legacy fan.

Back
Top Bottom