Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON wheels come off?!

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
GON has Wolves three points behind Man Utd at the end of the year. Well done that man.
Personally, I wouldn’t put to much on that!
Man Utd are a shade of their former self and have been for quite a number of seasons.
GoN has learnt very quickly and adapted amazingly!
Can’t help thinking though, next defeat and the knives will be out yet again!
On the balance of play, Gary has surpassed expectations massively.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wheels flying off in all directions spectacularly. For all those who predicted our demise and the PE teacher gone by Christmas. I have to admit I was underwhelmed at Gary's appointment but have been well and truly won round and happy to eat an extra helping of humble pie.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's very poor. Neto pre injury massively paper over performances. On the whole we look awful. Our best performance was probably man utd. In terms of all round play but we were still using the setup of the previous coach, man city was a good smash and grab result. But more and more as times goes on we see the same turgid performances, safety first coaching manual bull****. Quite honestly I fear if we are going to back this guy with signings as we will just get a bunch robots than flail about, but kept their shape and did nothing silly.
Are you still worried about Gary O’Neil getting backed with signings?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best thing for me is the last 3 games have been good and even great to watch. After the borefest wolves have been in recent years I'm giving GON a lot of credit for freeing the players up.

We're a midtable side so will have awful games at times, just as everton did today and we did at west ham, but as long as we can balance those out... as will everton almost certainly.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you still worried about Gary O’Neil getting backed with signings?
Regardless of o'neill, the last two transfer windows have been a significant step up. I hope we pick up more for the future in January as well as a first teamer. CB definitely needs attention and we'll need to replace neto for next season.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best thing for me is the last 3 games have been good and even great to watch. After the borefest wolves have been in recent years I'm giving GON a lot of credit for freeing the players up.

We're a midtable side so will have awful games at times, just as everton did today and we did at west ham, but as long as we can balance those out... as will everton almost certainly.
What I've enjoyed recently is the variation of attacking options, runs through the middle, wing play, both sides and the long ball that Hwang runs onto with his excellent timing and pace.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was saying something similar when my Forest supporter friend asked me who they should want more out of Nuno or Lopetegui..

Results wise; fairly identical in reality.. both at Porto and Wolves. But under one, our attacking players values continually increased.. under the other, they went the other way. It really made me realise there is more to football than just results.. it’s not about how many players are defenders.. it’s about setting up your team to get the most out of the players at your disposal. Getting the most out your players, gives you a sense or pride and enjoyment.

What does this have to do with GON? Well, for the first time since Covid.. we’re playing in a style and with belief that is making our players look more and more attractive every week going forward. Before the season started every pundit was saying we would struggle because we had no goals or creativity in the squad.. and now that couldn’t look further from the truth.

I always felt there was talent there, but massive well done to Gary for making them shine again. We’re looking braver with the ball every week.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, I see no need to talk, or compare past managers to GON. I don't need to talk about people's opinions, when we first got GON. The pleasure I get is that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Today is not about division and who is right and who said what. Today is about our team, our club and all getting behind the players. All that matters. Is, we are all loyal Wolves fans, we share the pain and jubilation. When it matters we are all in it together. We have been through a lot over the years, but that makes us closer in adversity.

WE WILL KEEP THE GOLD FLAG FLYING HIGH.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t put to much on that!
Man Utd are a shade of their former self and have been for quite a number of seasons.
GoN has learnt very quickly and adapted amazingly!
Can’t help thinking though, next defeat and the knives will be out yet again!
On the balance of play, Gary has surpassed expectations massively.
They finished in the top four last season.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was saying something similar when my Forest supporter friend asked me who they should want more out of Nuno or Lopetegui..

Results wise; fairly identical in reality.. both at Porto and Wolves. But under one, our attacking players values continually increased.. under the other, they went the other way. It really made me realise there is more to football than just results.. it’s not about how many players are defenders.. it’s about setting up your team to get the most out of the players at your disposal. Getting the most out your players, gives you a sense or pride and enjoyment.

What does this have to do with GON? Well, for the first time since Covid.. we’re playing in a style and with belief that is making our players look more and more attractive every week going forward. Before the season started every pundit was saying we would struggle because we had no goals or creativity in the squad.. and now that couldn’t look further from the truth.

I always felt there was talent there, but massive well done to Gary for making them shine again. We’re looking braver with the ball every week.
The 80 to 100m net profit made by hobbs was out of his control, but what he has done is increased significantly the values of most of those players left here by more attacking play. The only two players i can think who would have lost value is fabio and sasa. The rest, with particular note to hwang, neto, ait nouri, both gomes's will have increases the value of the squad significantly.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 80 to 100m net profit made by hobbs was out of his control, but what he has done is increased significantly the values of most of those players left here by more attacking play. The only two players i can think who would have lost value is fabio and sasa. The rest, with particular note to hwang, neto, ait nouri, both gomes's will have increases the value of the squad significantly.
Absolutely. Saying that Sasa we might still get €10m for he’s scored goals this season, his ratio is quite impressive. Fabio unfortunately not going to get a lot for him either maybe €10/15m due to his age and how his loan is at Rangers. I think European clubs more into swapping players. Not something that really happens much with English clubs. But Neto Hwang Cunha Ait-Nouri valuations have risen by 50%. Results business, and we’ve been getting results.

The worrying part is in the summer you know some big boy vultures with big money will be circling if we continue winning

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, I see no need to talk, or compare past managers to GON. I don't need to talk about people's opinions, when we first got GON. The pleasure I get is that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Today is not about division and who is right and who said what. Today is about our team, our club and all getting behind the players. All that matters. Is, we are all loyal Wolves fans, we share the pain and jubilation. When it matters we are all in it together. We have been through a lot over the years, but that makes us closer in adversity.

WE WILL KEEP THE GOLD FLAG FLYING HIGH.
Couldn’t agree more

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes if we go and get brainless runners, no if we don't revert to back trying to sit on one goal leads hitting the ball away aimlessly. Depends if we push on from here style wise.
Pointless selling the likes of Neto & whoever else if we are going to try and get Nelson off Arsenal to replace them with. Not even half the player Neto is. Money becomes worthless in such situations

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Threads like this are such a nonsense/embarrassment

We all pretty much agree we've got a midtable team and squad at best

So why then do folk throw their toys out as soon as a performance or two aren't top 4 quality?

Absolutely ****ing brainless

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes if we go and get brainless runners, no if we don't revert to back trying to sit on one goal leads hitting the ball away aimlessly. Depends if we push on from here style wise.

I think generally the style of play this season has been far more front foot and exciting to watch, and the correct signings can only help that along.

I know you’re not a GON fan, but I think he’s certainly shown that he’s a bit more intelligent than to sign “brainless runners”.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
M
I think generally the style of play this season has been far more front foot and exciting to watch, and the correct signings can only help that along.

I know you’re not a GON fan, but I think he’s certainly shown that he’s a bit more intelligent than to sign “brainless runners”.
To be honest I'm indifferent to who is in charge as long as we don't descend into defensive coward ball, which we have at times. Yesterdays game is the standard, we dominated, moved the ball round well and didn't sit back once we went ahead. As much as we have had good results with decent passages of play in previous games we have also panicked when ahead and played some really very desperate stuff which has no good future. I hope we don't sign brainless runners I really do.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worrying part is in the summer you know some big boy vultures with big money will be circling if we continue winning
We need to strike a balance of selling players at the right time, like Brighton, but making sure we have replacements lined up.

I’d argue we did that with Gomes last January to replace Neves, everyone knew he was leaving in the summer.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t mind the longer direct balls either. They’ve broke the lines in the last two games (at least) to great effect.
I suspect that will be increasingly be the tactic for the high press going forward, for all clubs. I'm sure people have noticed how many fatal errors teams are making trying to play out from the back of late. Going over the press, which I think something Gary has mentioned before, may be the way to beat it if you have reliable target men.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
M

To be honest I'm indifferent to who is in charge as long as we don't descend into defensive coward ball, which we have at times. Yesterday’s game is the standard, we dominated, moved the ball round well and didn't sit back once we went ahead. As much as we have had good results with decent passages of play in previous games we have also panicked when ahead and played some really very desperate stuff which has no good future. I hope we don't sign brainless runners I really do.
There have been occasions when we’ve too defensive but I remember against Brighton folk were hammering GON for being too open.

I accept that GON on a few occasions has got the balance wrong but over the season I’d say he’s got it bang on most the time.

I honestly don’t see how you can be genuinely concerned about “defensive coward ball” when we have by far our highest goals per game ratio in years. We are 1 goal away from matching last seasons total and we’re still in December!! This is with no centre forward and Neto being out for 2 months as well.

You didn’t seem to criticise defensive football when the previous manager was doing it pretty much every week?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you imagine how all the players feel today after 3 amazing games? They must be over the moon.
I'm sure if you asked many of the lads, they'd tell you they want to play again today! Just to keep the positive feeling going. But it's important they are managed physically, we've had a lot of games and not a particularly deep squad.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We need to strike a balance of selling players at the right time, like Brighton, but making sure we have replacements lined up.

I’d argue we did that with Gomes last January to replace Neves, everyone knew he was leaving in the summer.
Gonzalez to replace Neto?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
There have been occasions when we’ve too defensive but I remember against Brighton folk were hammering GON for being too open.

I accept that GON on a few occasions has got the balance wrong but over the season I’d say he’s got it bang on most the time.

I honestly don’t see how you can be genuinely concerned about “defensive coward ball” when we have by far our highest goals per game ratio in years. We are 1 goal away from matching last seasons total and we’re still in December!! This is with no centre forward and Neto being out for 2 months as well.

You didn’t seem to criticise defensive football when the previous manager was doing it pretty much every week?
As I said after we go a goal ahead.

I agree about the previous manager, I think you might be confusing me with those who didn't want lop to go. I did he wasn't committed and was trying to engineer moves away.

Back
Top Bottom