Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON wheels come off?!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have noticed the fine tuning starting to work, particularly in the last 2 games. Gaz is really having an influence on this group.

We are moving the ball more quickly and accurately.

Players are taking up better positions in which to receive the ball. Most noticeably between the opposing midfield and defence, in the little pockets.

There was some nice switch of play and very good movement. Players seem to have been told to keep moving into space.

I heard Gaz talking about complex instructions and ways of playing. There are signs that this is starting to happen. I saw Semedo coming inside yesterday and when he did the team changed shape to cover.

We are suddenly becoming a brilliant watch instead of that laborious stuff we had been suffering. I personally think there is far more to come from Gaz, I just hope we can hold onto him for long enough to see it.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whisper it quietly the next two games if we did pick up wins we are in the European mix as it would take points off united and Brighton

If Gary wants to make something

Brighton united Chelsea those are some statement if we can do something

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have noticed the fine tuning starting to work, particularly in the last 2 games. Gaz is really having an influence on this group.

Players are taking up better positions in which to receive the ball. Most noticeably between the opposing midfield and defence, in the little pockets.

There was some nice switch of play and very good movement. Players seem to have been told to keep moving into space.

I heard Gaz talking about complex instructions and ways of playing. There are signs that this is starting to happen. I saw Semedo coming inside yesterday and when he did the team changed shape to cover.

We are suddenly becoming a brilliant watch instead of that laborious stuff we had been suffering. I personally think there is far more to come from Gaz, I just hope we can hold onto him for long enough to see it.
I agree much of this. Of course it helped that we were playing a team which we could impose our style of play on.

The next big test will be doing that against the big boys. In the meantime l'm enjoying the GON ride - I am very pleasantly surprised - and waiting with interest to see what comes next.

Certainly going to Molineux currently isn't a chore which at times over the last two seasons it absolutely was.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to strike a balance of selling players at the right time, like Brighton, but making sure we have replacements lined up.

I’d argue we did that with Gomes last January to replace Neves, everyone knew he was leaving in the summer.

I wonder if Brighton fans are always going on about the value of their players ?

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure on that, seems to have gone all quiet on him. Although he’s definitely been seen as one for the future. Gomes came straight into the match day squad.

Gomes is about 3-4 years older and played a significant amount more of men's football tbf so not a direct comparison.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes is about 3-4 years older and played a significant amount more of men's football tbf so not a direct comparison.
I know, but the suggestion was he could be Netos replacement, I don’t think he is. Needs time to adjust

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Yes, it's almost as if a manager needs time to work on his plan and style of play with a new squad. Players need time to understand, process and practice the new style of play. If there was no indication of any progress then it would be right to start thinking about a replacement. Even in a successful season there was always going to be ups and downs.

There was such a negative reaction to GON taking over, and for some, a strange loyalty and almost worshipful dedication to Lopetegui, that giving GON time was out of the question. I admit I had a wobble after Ipswich. I was always fully behind Lopetegui and grateful for the excellent job he did in keeping us up, but as time went on, the more I have admired GON's committment to the cause and attitude, the growing bond and cohesion within the squad, and the commitment to evolve to play more attacking and entertaining football. At the same time, rightly or wrongly, I felt more bitter towards Lopetegui, his messing about in the media (and his Spanish journalist friend in particular), his treatment of some of our legacy players (especially Raul) and the general disunity and cliques that appeared to develop in the squad. It became clear in the end, that Wolves meant nothing to him. We all have to look after ourselves, but this was just a job for him, a stepping stone. Okay, he may have been misled, but he derided our squad and belittled the club with the way he left. Shi didn't cover himself in glory either. However, Lopetegui was no Nuno.

I don't think it will be calm seas ahead this season and I don't believe we'll get into Europe. There will be ups and downs, wins and losses, great, poor and indifferent performances. However, overall I think our play will develop, our players improve and we'll finish the season as a solid Premier League club. There's very little we can do to break into the top six now, we wouldn't even with Pep in charge. However, I wouldn't swap GON for any other Premier League manager at the moment. I just wish the knee jerk feast or famine attitude of a minority of our fanbase would stop. Wanting him out after every minor poor run, and criticising him because of their own delusions of grandeur. Heard so many times on here that an attitude like mine is a lack of ambition. It's not, it's reality. We should strive to compete with Brighton, West Ham etc. For the foreseeable future we should forget about competing in the long-term with Man City ,Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle. We just don't have the resources. We can beat any of them on their day, we can win a battle but won't win the war.

After years of being out of the top flight, let's enjoy being a solid Premier League club with a young and committed manager, a cohesive squad who are loving playing for the club, and a team that finally score goals. There will be some disappointing times ahead but let's enjoy the wins and gain a sense of perspective.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if Brighton fans are always going on about the value of their players ?
The season ticket holders that I work with have been happy with the"back ups" over the last few years. We quite often have discussions on how well they are doing, having got rid of players for more money than would have been expected. However, they don't seem to have too many ready to come through now, other than the ones that have already made appearances. European competition could stretch then over the next few months.
It will be interesting to see if they can unearth another couple of talents in January from South America.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it's almost as if a manager needs time to work on his plan and style of play with a new squad. Players need time to understand, process and practice the new style of play. If there was no indication of any progress then it would be right to start thinking about a replacement. Even in a successful season there was always going to be ups and downs.

There was such a negative reaction to GON taking over, and for some, a strange loyalty and almost worshipful dedication to Lopetegui, that giving GON time was out of the question. I admit I had a wobble after Ipswich. I was always fully behind Lopetegui and grateful for the excellent job he did in keeping us up, but as time went on, the more I have admired GON's committment to the cause and attitude, the growing bond and cohesion within the squad, and the commitment to evolve to play more attacking and entertaining football. At the same time, rightly or wrongly, I felt more bitter towards Lopetegui, his messing about in the media (and his Spanish journalist friend in particular), his treatment of some of our legacy players (especially Raul) and the general disunity and cliques that appeared to develop in the squad. It became clear in the end, that Wolves meant nothing to him. We all have to look after ourselves, but this was just a job for him, a stepping stone. Okay, he may have been misled, but he derided our squad and belittled the club with the way he left. Shi didn't cover himself in glory either. However, Lopetegui was no Nuno.

I don't think it will be calm seas ahead this season and I don't believe we'll get into Europe. There will be ups and downs, wins and losses, great, poor and indifferent performances. However, overall I think our play will develop, our players improve and we'll finish the season as a solid Premier League club. There's very little we can do to break into the top six now, we wouldn't even with Pep in charge. However, I wouldn't swap GON for any other Premier League manager at the moment. I just wish the knee jerk feast or famine attitude of a minority of our fanbase would stop. Wanting him out after every minor poor run, and criticising him because of their own delusions of grandeur. Heard so many times on here that an attitude like mine is a lack of ambition. It's not, it's reality. We should strive to compete with Brighton, West Ham etc. For the foreseeable future we should forget about competing in the long-term with Man City ,Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle. We just don't have the resources. We can beat any of them on their day, we can win a battle but won't win the war.

After years of being out of the top flight, let's enjoy being a solid Premier League club with a young and committed manager, a cohesive squad who are loving playing for the club, and a team that finally score goals. There will be some disappointing times ahead but let's enjoy the wins and gain a sense of perspective.

Love this post

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A late entry for post of the year that would get my vote.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A good post. I suspect though that the negative reaction was at least as much due to the massive hole that Fosun had got us into and the measures taken in response.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Excellent post!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

This. A million times this.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score

This has an element of the "Great post Grizz" aura, from years gone by...

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
M

To be honest I'm indifferent to who is in charge as long as we don't descend into defensive coward ball, which we have at times. Yesterdays game is the standard, we dominated, moved the ball round well and didn't sit back once we went ahead. As much as we have had good results with decent passages of play in previous games we have also panicked when ahead and played some really very desperate stuff which has no good future. I hope we don't sign brainless runners I really do.
I think there is something to being able to suffer through parts of games. The idea the standard is the kind of domination we saw vs Everton is doomed to disappointment. Nobody bar Man City can look like that for most of their games.

If I had to guess, I would say Gaz will probably spend a lot of this coaching time analyzing how to do this better and shore the team up out of possession, to be honest. The xG against in open play is the biggest problem the team has. The ability to play a bit of catenaccio will win a lot of points.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom