Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was a bit strange watching the game yesterday with where some players were popping up over the pitch. It Looked like O'Neill was trying to utilise the undoubted technical ability a lot of our squad possess to be almost "total football" as we were playing the bottom side who would be delighted with a point and sit deep and frustrate us.

Games like this are the real test when you're up against sides that you should be beating, they make it hard so you need to be a bit more creative. I'm happy to see a bit of imagination and hope he gets the tools in the summer to bring in a "plan b"
There's a bit of Dutch style Total football emerging where the formation can be fluid and players interchangeable

It does mean that we get caught from time to time but it's an exciting style that can only improve as the players learn and adapt

So much for GON being a dull defence first coach

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I think Steve M's reporting on Wolves has got a lot better. It was very poor to start with, but as he has built his knowledge about the club, his pieces have become more insightful. Well worth reading now
He is getting better and I’m reading more of his stuff too. I still can’t forgive him for making Tim Spiers look good :)

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Steve M's reporting on Wolves has got a lot better. It was very poor to start with, but as he has built his knowledge about the club, his pieces have become more insightful. Well worth reading now
I commented something similar on one of his articles few months ago.
He replied ‘thanks, I think’.
It’s true though. Significant improvement. He’s a bit dry compared to Tim, but that’s preference.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
He’s a good reporter. Perhaps because he’s not a fan he doesn’t quite have the passion that Spiers had, and I think Spiers got what supporting Wolves was all about.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over complicated it imo

What’s wrong with good old fashioned move the ball quickly, work harder than the opposition, get shots on goal to test the keeper.

gullykular

Reaction score
Would have been more effective to go 4-0 up playing at a good tempo then rest players for 30 mins than struggling through 90 mins
I don't think they weren't trying to go 4-0 up. They played with really good intensity first half. Chances are teams will adapt over a HT break, where as most of what we did first half was good, so it was basically 'carry on as you were'

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I don't think they weren't trying to go 4-0 up. They played with really good intensity first half. Chances are teams will adapt over a HT break, where as most of what we did first half was good, so it was basically 'carry on as you were'
I've been waiting for your thoughts. We didn't seem to change much (until another confusing last 15), maybe playing a bit more conservatively deliberately to stop Dawson getting exposed, and then just stopping moving the ball fast enough to expose them? I'm never very good at working out if they've changed more than trying to press us higher?

Was the idea of Neto on the left playing quite wide was to try to get behind the wingback, pull the RCH wide and create the space for RAN to run inside?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Previously we have often set up 343, but it morphed into more 442 with RAN left wing, Neto right.
The last couple of games it seems we start the same but morph into 433, I assume this is because we’re missing Cunha who was dropping into that left attacking midfield position??

gullykular

Reaction score
I've been waiting for your thoughts. We didn't seem to change much (until another confusing last 15), maybe playing a bit more conservatively deliberately to stop Dawson getting exposed, and then just stopping moving the ball fast enough to expose them? I'm never very good at working out if they've changed more than trying to press us higher?

Was the idea of Neto on the left playing quite wide was to try to get behind the wingback, pull the RCH wide and create the space for RAN to run inside?
A combination of Sheff Utd being much tighter in midfield which meant we had less options for our CBs and just being really, really untidy in possession. I've got to 25 mins into the second half so far and we're just making continual bad choices on the ball.

No tactics can legislate for that

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Over complicated it imo

What’s wrong with good old fashioned move the ball quickly, work harder than the opposition, get shots on goal to test the keeper.
You need to have open passes in the structure to move the ball quickly...this isn't 20 years ago, teams can actually press for more than a few minutes at a time.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON has clearly done well this season, irrespective of where we eventually finish in the league and the cup. He's surpassed all expectations, which were exceedingly low to begin with and for that he deserves praise.
The true test will come next season, when expectations will be higher, especially if he's allowed to spend and bring in a few of 'his' players in the summer.
I just wonder that if we finish higher mid-table and say get through to the FA Cup semis; that becomes the benchmark and if we are in the bottom 6 or 7 most of next season; the knives come out. With increased success comes increased expectations. I mean, even after successive 7th placed finishes and decent cup runs; there were calls for Nuno's head in his 3rd Prem season and he was 'loved' by a large percentage of Wolves' fans.
GON has had a free hit this season. The real test starts next season.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson Semedo on Gary O’Neil
️

“The start was not good. We did not have the time to work in pre-season. He came three or four days before the Premier League started so obviously we had a lot to work on. But we are doing well now and the team is confident.
“It is very easy to understand the information he gives us. Obviously, we have meetings but not that many. I also think Gary still has that professional player mentality, so he thinks a little bit like us. He knows how to explain things to us and help us to improve on the things he wants us to improve. That is the main thing.
“We have our tactics. But he gives me the freedom to do whatever I want - with responsibility, of course. He trusts me a lot. Not only me but every player on the team. That is very important. It gives you a boost to keep improving and improving.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nelson Semedo on Gary O’Neil
️

“The start was not good. We did not have the time to work in pre-season. He came three or four days before the Premier League started so obviously we had a lot to work on. But we are doing well now and the team is confident.
“It is very easy to understand the information he gives us. Obviously, we have meetings but not that many. I also think Gary still has that professional player mentality, so he thinks a little bit like us. He knows how to explain things to us and help us to improve on the things he wants us to improve. That is the main thing.
“We have our tactics. But he gives me the freedom to do whatever I want - with responsibility, of course. He trusts me a lot. Not only me but every player on the team. That is very important. It gives you a boost to keep improving and improving.
It's pretty damn amazing that everyone and their dog can see Wolves have defined tactics in every game, and yet players like Toti and Semedo talk about how the schedule is good and not overloaded. He must be some communicator.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Gary stays with us a long time. He has an incredible amount of credit in the bank for what he's done this season so far.

If we get a few players in for him over the summer and he wants to tweak how we play, I will not be getting on his back if the results are not immediately good. He's earned the time to really stamp his style on this club.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Been listening to Spotify on shuffle tonight and UB40- Cherry Oh Baby came on, surely we can fit a song around that for GON?

Gary O Gary O Neil
You know I’m in love with you

Back
Top Bottom