Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you have an iPad or iPhone just click on reader and you can view the whole of the article

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I shared this the other day. Flies in the face of us sitting deep when you see how aggressive Toti's position is
This is why there are a couple of Toti detractors. His instructions are not those of a traditional CB. He's being told to push up, yet I've seem some use that as a stick to beat him with.

I love him, he's a decent committed defender who is also dangerous going forward!

Rowzed

Reaction score
If you have an iPad or iPhone just click on reader and you can view the whole of the article
Thanks for this, I’ve worked out how to do it and can now read behind a paywall
Presumably copyright prevents me from adding the PDF of the article to this forum ?

Good article btw

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's grown on me more and more. I like how he goes about things tactically, and he speaks very well without going over the top.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has made almost every player better, and played high scoring football. But I hope the next part of his progression will be to make us a team that can take the game to a weak and unadventurous opposition. For 7 years we have struggled against teams that are really Championship level. Burnley, Sheffield, Norwich, Watford, Leeds , Huddersfield and West Brom.
He will need to be given the resources for this change . We don't have the squad to play different styles.
Combative midfielders and goals on the break get us only so far.

Last edited:

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has made almost every player better, and played high scoring football. But I hope the next part of his progression will be to make us a team that can take the game to a weak and unadventurous opposition. For 7 years we have struggled against teams that are really Championship level. Burnley, Sheffield, Norwich, Watford, Leeds , Huddersfield and West Brom.
He will need to be given the resources for this change . We don't have the squad to play different styles.
Combative midfielders and goals on the break get us only so far.

Eventually even the better teams will learn to hold back and hit us on the break too. Surprised they haven't started doing that already.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Eventually even the better teams will learn to hold back and hit us on the break too. Surprised they haven't started doing that already.
Which top teams? I don't see any of them bending their style to suit Wolves. They will try to impose themselves I imagine.

Unless you count Emery at Villa since they are up the table right now.... He would totally pull that.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which top teams? I don't see any of them bending their style to suit Wolves. They will try to impose themselves I imagine.

Unless you count Emery at Villa since they are up the table right now.... He would totally pull that.

Yeah the top 4 won't but I mean more the best of the rest. West Ham (who did that already now I think about it), Villa. Maybe Newcastle.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At Wolves, O’Neil has also utilised a 4-4-2, with heavy emphasis on central combinations and transitional attacks. But, unlike his time at Bournemouth, attacking players in the number 10 spaces have been an important element. There has been more focus on the inside channels, either from a 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 shape.

One of Wolves’ attacking strengths has been the versatility that the narrow trio offers in central spaces and both inside channels. Rotations between Matheus Cunha, Hwang Hee-chan, Pedro Neto and Pablo Sarabia (below), have helped disrupt opposing back lines, just as Bournemouth’s front line did the season before.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ait Nouri's role was fascinating yesterday. He was like a roaming left midfielder.

Popped up in central midfield quite a few times.

Yeah I noticed this. Neto deeper too.

Was an odd one, because traditionally the way to break down a team who sits behind the ball is to attack down the wings.

We did that down the right, but the left side was intentionally unbalanced. Would love to know his thinking there

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't a fan of Ait nouri role yesterday...it was Ait nouri I wanted out wide and Neto to come in more central alongside Hwang......We watched videos of Neto scoring for fun in training and for me he was out far too wide , without Cunha we need Neto to be a goal threat....Ait nouri has great strengths but he isn't a goal threat as such.....we need Neto I'm and around the box not hugging the touchline , Ait nouri should do that.....

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't a fan of Ait nouri role yesterday...it was Ait nouri I wanted out wide and Neto to come in more central alongside Hwang......We watched videos of Neto scoring for fun in training and for me he was out far too wide , without Cunha we need Neto to be a goal threat....Ait nouri has great strengths but he isn't a goal threat as such.....we need Neto I'm and around the box not hugging the touchline , Ait nouri should do that.....

I know what you're saying.

But the goal came from Neto overlapping wide, and Ait Nouri coming inside to cross on his right.

So maybe Gary knew what he was doing?!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ait Nouri's role was fascinating yesterday. He was like a roaming left midfielder.

Popped up in central midfield quite a few times.
I noticed this in the last game too.

What’s also fascinating is that Toti has a lot of freedom too which you’d expect to leave us exposed on that side, but it doesn’t seem to.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I doubt it. We played some of the best counter attacking football in the league under Nuno, and none of the big clubs held back.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus Ait Nouri played in Neto with that outrageous flick from an inside position

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt it. We played some of the best counter attacking football in the league under Nuno, and none of the big clubs held back.
Actually I think some of them did start to during the behind closed doors period; probably due to no pressure from fans to dominate and attack. It’s why I’ve always felt it wrong to judge Nuno by the football and results in that strangest of times.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually I think some of them did start to during the behind closed doors period; probably due to no pressure from fans to dominate and attack. It’s why I’ve always felt it wrong to judge Nuno by the football and results in that strangest of times.

That’s fair. The home and away form of many clubs was certainly affected by closed door games.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But the goal came from Neto overlapping wide, and Ait Nouri coming inside to cross on his right.

In a way yes....just think we need Neto to be Cunha replacement as such.....a goal threat coming from deeper , getting in the box.....not hugging the touchline......Neto did the same against Brentford at home and it rendered us ineffective.....

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a way yes....just think we need Neto to be Cunha replacement as such.....a goal threat coming from deeper , getting in the box.....not hugging the touchline......Neto did the same against Brentford at home and it rendered us ineffective.....
Neto needs to attack the box more but thats not his style hwang looked off it very poor yesteday he was stood still and not busting a gut to get in box couple of chances, semedo stand up for example where he should have done better

lemina ran across the box nearly scored thats what hwang should be doing

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto needs to attack the box more but thats not his style hwang looked off it very poor yesteday he was stood still and not busting a gut to get in box couple of chances, semedo stand up for example where he should have done better

lemina ran across the box nearly scored thats what hwang should be doing
We need Neto pace more centrally for me...not slap bang in the middle, while Cunha is out......not hugging the touchline.....so he is more of a goal threat.....

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Good point

gullykular

Reaction score
Neto being wide was the only way we were likely to get him into positions to use his pace yesterday. The fact Ahmedhodzic stifled him a couple of times is just credit to him. Should have perhaps started on the right this time, but it was reliant on him holding width to allow RAN to do what he did. Playing him centrally against a team sitting deep renders him useless.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto being wide was the only way we were likely to get him into positions to use his pace yesterday. The fact Ahmedhodzic stifled him a couple of times is just credit to him. Should have perhaps started on the right this time, but it was reliant on him holding width to allow RAN to do what he did. Playing him centrally against a team sitting deep renders him useless.
I felt Neto was too conservative. He didn’t try to take on his full back - we also didn’t create an overlap which would have put doubt in the defenders mind if Toti or RAN had run beyond Neto on the wing.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I felt Neto was too conservative. He didn’t try to take on his full back - we also didn’t create an overlap which would have put doubt in the defenders mind if Toti or RAN had run beyond Neto on the wing.
I think Neto did try, but he actually came out worse in the foot races. Unusual. That bloke who lost Sarabia for the goal may not always be switched on, but he's fast.

The structure got both Neto and Sarabia into good positions. Sarabia squeezed a goal from it.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score

This is from the Athletic (I know it's Steve M!) on RAN and yesterday's game:

"Max Kilman was noticeably given more licence than normal to carry the ball out from defence and boost attacking numbers.

Even more clear was the redeployment of Rayan Ait-Nouri as an ‘inverted’ wing-back, with the Algeria international spending a significant amount of time as an auxiliary central midfielder.

With echoes of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, Ait-Nouri, who had spent much of the season galloping down the left flank for Wolves, split his time between his normal role and a new assignment, effectively as a holding midfielder, allowing Joao Gomes and Mario Lemina to push further forward.

When Pedro Neto drifted from the left flank into a No 10 role, Ait-Nouri replaced him on the flank, from where he delivered the cross for Pablo Sarabia to score the only goal."

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Was a bit strange watching the game yesterday with where some players were popping up over the pitch. It Looked like O'Neill was trying to utilise the undoubted technical ability a lot of our squad possess to be almost "total football" as we were playing the bottom side who would be delighted with a point and sit deep and frustrate us.

Games like this are the real test when you're up against sides that you should be beating, they make it hard so you need to be a bit more creative. I'm happy to see a bit of imagination and hope he gets the tools in the summer to bring in a "plan b"

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is from the Athletic (I know it's Steve M!) on RAN and yesterday's game:

"Max Kilman was noticeably given more licence than normal to carry the ball out from defence and boost attacking numbers.

Even more clear was the redeployment of Rayan Ait-Nouri as an ‘inverted’ wing-back, with the Algeria international spending a significant amount of time as an auxiliary central midfielder.

With echoes of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, Ait-Nouri, who had spent much of the season galloping down the left flank for Wolves, split his time between his normal role and a new assignment, effectively as a holding midfielder, allowing Joao Gomes and Mario Lemina to push further forward.

When Pedro Neto drifted from the left flank into a No 10 role, Ait-Nouri replaced him on the flank, from where he delivered the cross for Pablo Sarabia to score the only goal."
I think Steve M's reporting on Wolves has got a lot better. It was very poor to start with, but as he has built his knowledge about the club, his pieces have become more insightful. Well worth reading now

Back
Top Bottom