Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s Klopp if they win the league, Emery if they don’t, and O’Neill if wolves get Europe and Villa capitulate to miss out on champions league
Who has surpassed popular expectation the most over the season, most experts had us in a relegation battle.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who has surpassed popular expectation the most over the season, most experts had us in a relegation battle.

Arsenal and Liverpool were always in with a top 3 shout and should finish there.

Us and Luton were favourites for 19th and 20th place, so you'd have to say both Edwards and O'Neil have surpassed the most expectations so far.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most 'experts' only have indepth knowledge of a limited number of teams. Wolves (IMO), had a squad way better than being bottom when Lage was sacked, and way better than Lope himself believed at the time he slung his hook.
Absolutely not denigrating the work Gary has done, but even he himself has stated that he has very talented players in the squad.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most 'experts' only have indepth knowledge of a limited number of teams. Wolves (IMO), had a squad way better than being bottom when Lage was sacked, and way better than Lope himself believed at the time he slung his hook.
Absolutely not denigrating the work Gary has done, but even he himself has stated that he has very talented players in the squad.
Totally agree that's why I said popular expectations, I was never worried to be honest and neither were other more astute posters on here.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, if you look at the table now I'd say all those currently above us have a better squad and all those below us a poorer one.

We're in a position to over achieve, if we can progress further in the cup, or start picking off some of those sitting above us who's form might suffer with European football having restarted.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree. But the squad that was better than bottom when Lage was sacked was then torn apart.

Don't forget that most Wolves fans also thought we'd be in a relegation battle after we lost Neves, Nunes, Podence, Costa, Jimenez, Moutinho and Adama in the summer (amongst others).

The reality of the situation was different, with the defence remaining largely the same, other than Ait Nouri's reintegration, Gomes was ready to step up to play with Lemina, Neto was ready to come back to his best, and Cunha and Hwang were both simmering and ready to explode.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agree! He has been a legend manager! A lifetime achievement award or a special gift for sure as he has been a major character for the league over the years.

I meant as things stand today, i wouldn’t give it to him.

What Rob Edwards and GON have done with their squads and their challenges to overcome outshines what Klopp has done so far in my own personal opinion. So for me those two would deserve it more if the vote was to close today and only season to now be considered.

People can happily shoot me down on that.
I don't necessarily disagree but in truth these things always seem to go to those who've won something - see Pep for example.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Under the radar? We are so far off many so-called experts' plot that we may as well be in a parallel universe.
Not sure about that. There are parts of the media and perhaps country desperate for a young, successful English manager. GON is the best prospect to fill that role for awhile (imo better than when Potter had some shine).

Edit: I forgot about Howe.....he was very good last season, and his cherries tenure was basically good.

Still, the gist of the point remains.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about that. There are parts of the media and perhaps country desperate for a young, successful English manager. GON is the best prospect to fill that role for awhile (imo better than when Potter had some shine).
I'd say that it's between him and Rob Edwards currently. I agree your general theme though.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
GON is starting t get some admiring glances from the media, done an absolutely amazing job so far considering where we were when appointed and has the feel of next generation coach.

Hope West Ham don't start sniffing around soon as they inevitably sack Moyes, ex player with a pretty decent budget and a bigger stage to work on might be too tempting for him to turn down

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We're only ever a small run of results from one of two states on here....

Our manager is crap, we need to get rid of him.
Our manager is brilliant, someone's bound to take him off us.

Here's a list of all the managers we've ever had poached by a 'bigger club'.

Think that's all of them?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is a great analysis. You don't really want to play against a team who doesn't mind if you have the ball when you're a ball-dominant side. You could see the bitterness in some of the Spurs comments post-game that Wolves had everyone behind the ball....and yet this shows that they were actually set up with quite a balanced structure from which the players could spring and create danger.

Now to beat Sheffield United....

gullykular

Reaction score
This is a great analysis. You don't really want to play against a team who doesn't mind if you have the ball when you're a ball-dominant side. You could see the bitterness in some of the Spurs comments post-game that Wolves had everyone behind the ball....and yet this shows that they were actually set up with quite a balanced structure from which the players could spring and create danger.

Now to beat Sheffield United....

I shared this the other day. Flies in the face of us sitting deep when you see how aggressive Toti's position is

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're only ever a small run of results from one of two states on here....

Our manager is crap, we need to get rid of him.
Our manager is brilliant, someone's bound to take him off us.

Here's a list of all the managers we've ever had poached by a 'bigger club'.

Think that's all of them?
We have invariably been the graveyard for Manager’s careers. Apart from Nuno’s brief spell at Spurs and then in Saudi all our Managers have even managed to get another job at the same level as Wolves, let alone be poached. And I mean all. Even Taylor went back to Watford who were the division below. I know Cullis went to Blues but they are not in the same stratosphere as Wolves and never have been.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

I shared this the other day. Flies in the face of us sitting deep when you see how aggressive Toti's position is
Yes, playing like a LB when RAN attacks, and a LCB out of possession when we're sitting in, fair enough. But when we're out of possession and he seems to go off and play some sort of man marking job in midfield, that blows my mind.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, playing like a LB when RAN attacks, and a LCB out of possession when we're sitting in, fair enough. But when we're out of possession and he seems to go off and play some sort of man marking job in midfield, that blows my mind.
Didn’t he carry the ball up to the edge of the 18 yard box on one occasion, too, beating 2-3 players on the way? He has done it several times in games istr.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting the fear of failure keeping him on his toes, wondering at 24 if would make it as a professional footballer when he already was one.
I'm always surprised when a young footballer gets his first big contract and what does he do? Open a high yield investment account? Set up a retirement plan?
No, he buys a Bugatti or a McClaren or some such exotic that he rarely uses because he's driven/flown every where and its lost 20% of its value when leaving the showroom.
Easy come easy go.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
the fact the article even mentions molmix and the "'The Gary O'Neil Humble Pie Safe Space'. crinnnggggeeeee :tearsofjoy:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the fact the article even mentions molmix and the "'The Gary O'Neil Humble Pie Safe Space'. crinnnggggeeeee :tearsofjoy:

At least they did some proper research by going on a fan forum for the polarising opinions they would likely not have gotten by asking on camera in person to get a good story.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just signed up to read it (support journalism) and that section about the forum and the thread was very classily done by the writer!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pretty interesting interview. It's remarkable how much he thinks about the psychological aspect for himself and what he would want as a player.

Also the drive. It's palpable.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

At least they did some proper research by going on a fan forum for the polarising opinions they would likely not have gotten by asking on camera in person to get a good story.
It was very well-done by the writer. Not snarky or crappy at all.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you think about that, it's a terrible indictment on what we were doing.

Seems we didn't need a new striker (for goals), just an attack minded coach ...
Yep. Our play off the ball is different gravy to how it was. Though we may be 'giving away' possession, it is with attacking intent in mind.

Man United in the days of Giggs and Ronaldo would be more dangerous when you won a corner against them. They'd just explode up the other other end and somehow have four in the box within seconds.

Back
Top Bottom